HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2013, 12:09 AM
  #1
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Ryan Callahan

I want to preface this by saying that I love Cally as a player. He, Dubi and AA were my three favorite forwards on the roster for the last few years.

That having been said, Callahan is quietly having an abysmal season, and yes, I think his year has been as bad or worse than the guys who routinely take a beating on this forum (Boyle, Richards, Gaborik).

What's wrong with him this year? He's been diving more, hustling less (he has games where he looks like the Cally of old, but they are few and far between this year), he doesn't really seem to lead on the ice anymore. Is it just because of the lack of a true preseason?

Aside from the diving and the lack of drive, his production is horrid, particularly in light of his consistently high ice time. He is 6th among forwards in TOI/G in the entire league. Almost all of the other guys in the top 10 have twice (in some cases three times as many) points. In the top 100 list of forwards for TOI/G, only 15 guys have put up a lower point total, and only six of those guys have played close to a full season (Zajac, RNH, Umberger, Vermette, Henrique and Weiss). Only two of THOSE guys are in the top 50 for TOI/G (Zajac at 22nd and RNH at 49th).

Hell, even just comparing Callahan to Callahan--the last time he had a production rate this low, he was sent to the AHL (2007/08).

I'm not looking to hate on Callahan, but if this team wants to go anywhere, they need the Callahan from the last three seasons to lead the way. The single biggest problem with the NY Rangers this season (in my opinion) is that THAT Ryan Callahan is nowhere to be found.

smoneil is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:09 AM
  #2
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
waf fi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 17,078
vCash: 50
Callahan is a fantastic player who hates hockey sticks.

Killem Dafoe is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:11 AM
  #3
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
He was really on for a few games then went completely invisible

I love Cally but those dives tonight were atrocious and embarrassing to watch

Completely disagree with your last sentence tho.

JohnC is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:12 AM
  #4
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 49,568
vCash: 50
I find it interesting (and I'll take your stats as legimate) how Callahan, Richards, Gaborik, Boyle, McDonagh, Girardi, and Pyatt are putting up some seasons ranging from mediocre to downright awful.

Gives me reason to believe that this team pretty much wrote off this season when the lockout seemed like it would kill it.

__________________


"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:17 AM
  #5
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Callahan is a fantastic player who hates hockey sticks.
The next time he breaks his stick in the defensive zone I'm turning off the tv. I don't think he should be getting top 6 minutes with Nash and Gaborik ahead of him on RW depth. I think he could be part of a 3rd line that could actually score from time to time.

Doctor King Schultz is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:23 AM
  #6
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
That was the worst game I've ever seen Ryan Callahan play. It was upsetting.

He's not scoring at his usual pace, but nobody on our team except Stepan and Nash are. He was playing well with Step, but frankly, EVERYONE has been playing well with Stepan. With Richards slumping, Miller being the 19 year old teenage turnover machine, Stepan now attached firmly to Nash and Boyle being, well, Boyle, there's no pivot that is going to work well with him.

Nothing is worse than seeing him and Gabby on a line together. No two players have ever had less chemistry.

Really, his goalscoring is just a goal or two below pace. 9 in 30 isn't great, but it'll prorate to somewhere in the mid 20s. The problem with prorating that low a number of games is that if he goes and has a pair of 2 goal games, he's suddenly on pace for a much different number.

The assists are more troubling. Cally's linemates (again, not named Stepan) just aren't scoring. some of that will be the result of his play, but when the VAST majority of your linemate are having the worst season of their career (Richards, Gaborik) or the first season of their career (Miller, Kreider), you're not going to pick up a ton of random secondary assists.

Cally has had some really good games, but not nearly enough. But that sounds like the entire god damn team right now.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:24 AM
  #7
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
The next time he breaks his stick in the defensive zone I'm turning off the tv. I don't think he should be getting top 6 minutes with Nash and Gaborik ahead of him on RW depth. I think he could be part of a 3rd line that could actually score from time to time.
Gaborik is behind my right nut on the depth chart right now. I've defended him historically, but I'm done.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:27 AM
  #8
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I find it interesting (and I'll take your stats as legimate) how Callahan, Richards, Gaborik, Boyle, McDonagh, Girardi, and Pyatt are putting up some seasons ranging from mediocre to downright awful.

Gives me reason to believe that this team pretty much wrote off this season when the lockout seemed like it would kill it.
This is about the only thing that could provide some sort of an explanation for why this season has been such a **** show.

NY Lito is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:27 AM
  #9
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Gaborik is behind my right nut on the depth chart right now. I've defended him historically, but I'm done.


Thanks for providing a laugh during this forgettable season.

NY Lito is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:32 AM
  #10
Machinehead
Moderator
Hanta Yo
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 43,409
vCash: 500
I don't know if lack of drive is an issue. He's hitting more than ever and obviously blocks alot. The team lacks intensity and at times that falls on the leadership, but I think the coach has lost them. That's a different discussion anyway. Point is I don't think we have an issue with Callahan as a leader or with his effort. Aside from the occasional game he just doesn't show up to -and everyone has those, even Gretzky had those, and tonight was one of them- he's been trying very hard.

As far his lack of production and excessive diving I think it's frustration and just putting too much pressure on himself. I think, no joke intended, that he's gripping the stick a little too hard. He's trying way to hard to draw penalties and he's getting too cute in the offensive zone. People actually question how much he cares because he's a quiet guy and doesn't mouth off to the media but if you watch the way he plays how can you say he doesn't care. This is a guy that broke his ankle to protect a one goal lead. It's killing him that we're not performing. As the captain I think he puts that weight on his own head and will blame himself at times just like Lundqvist will at times. And the problem is, I think he's letting the frustration effect his game. He needs to chill out and keep it simple because that's the game that got him to where he is. His past success came from quick hands, a decisive shot, and gritty positioning, not holding the puck for an hour like he's doing now. He's trying to be Rick Nash. He needs to simplify it. And every good player in the league takes a bit of a dive to draw penalties, it's a fact of life in the NHL. But that's another thing he's just trying way to hard at right now.

He needs to just be himself out there, and think the Stanley Cup hype and subsequent disappointment got in his head and is making him do too much. That doesn't mean we give up on him, it's just something that as a second year captain he has to go through and learn from.

__________________

die fabelhafte linken Flügel (:
Machinehead is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 01:52 AM
  #11
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
I want to preface this by saying that I love Cally as a player. He, Dubi and AA were my three favorite forwards on the roster for the last few years.

That having been said, Callahan is quietly having an abysmal season, and yes, I think his year has been as bad or worse than the guys who routinely take a beating on this forum (Boyle, Richards, Gaborik).

What's wrong with him this year? He's been diving more, hustling less (he has games where he looks like the Cally of old, but they are few and far between this year), he doesn't really seem to lead on the ice anymore. Is it just because of the lack of a true preseason?

Aside from the diving and the lack of drive, his production is horrid, particularly in light of his consistently high ice time. He is 6th among forwards in TOI/G in the entire league. Almost all of the other guys in the top 10 have twice (in some cases three times as many) points. In the top 100 list of forwards for TOI/G, only 15 guys have put up a lower point total, and only six of those guys have played close to a full season (Zajac, RNH, Umberger, Vermette, Henrique and Weiss). Only two of THOSE guys are in the top 50 for TOI/G (Zajac at 22nd and RNH at 49th).

Hell, even just comparing Callahan to Callahan--the last time he had a production rate this low, he was sent to the AHL (2007/08).

I'm not looking to hate on Callahan, but if this team wants to go anywhere, they need the Callahan from the last three seasons to lead the way. The single biggest problem with the NY Rangers this season (in my opinion) is that THAT Ryan Callahan is nowhere to be found.
Give me a break. Callahan is the biggest problem with this team right now? That's completely ridiculous. The biggest problems with this team are obviously the dismal play of Richards and Gaborik, and the lack of secondary scoring from the bottom six.

To say he's been as bad as Richards, Gaborik, or Boyle boggles my mind.

His production is down because the team's production is down. He had a bad game tonight, but he still has far more "on" games than he has "off" games.

He played just as much last season, and everything was fine. Besides, he's on the ice as much as he is because of his play away from the puck more than anything. He's not a skill player, he has to get some offensive support to produce. How the hell do you think a guy like Chris Drury scored 30-35 goals in Buffalo? He was surrounded by skill players who created opportunites for him. He was smart enough and gave enough effort to capitalize on them. That's how Callahan works. You can't expect him to pull these nice dekes out every night. He's not Pavel Bure. It's a bonus whenever he gives you one of those. He's going to score dirty, hardworking goals that are usually created in part by plays from skill players. When those guys aren't making anything happen offensively, Callahan's production is bound to drop.

I also agree that he is putting or at least feeling extra pressure to produce because other people aren't, and I feel like he's focusing too much on offense, which is actually hurting his production, because so much of the offense he is able to create for himself is from his defense.

NO ONE on the team is scoring besides Nash, Stepan, and Hagelin. Callahan didn't seem to have a problem scoring when he played with Stepan. You expect him to score a lot when he plays with rookie J.T. Miller and one dimensional Gaborik? Or when he's playing with Richards who is playing quite poorly himself?

Let's not forget that this is coming from a poster that has been arguing for years that Callahan is an inferior player to Dubinsky, which is and has always been laughable.

No matter how many complaints you can lodge against this team, and there are many, there is one positive thing you can always count on: Lundqvist and Callahan are never going to be chief causes of concern. The reason you know this to be true is because throughout virtually their entire careers, they never have been. This is one agenda, under rating Callahan, that has never had any factual or logical support.

Callahan's play is so far down the list of issues plaguing this team now that it really doesn't even warrant discussion, IMO.

You don't know what you have in a player like Callahan.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 01:59 AM
  #12
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Give me a break. Callahan is the biggest problem with this team right now? That's completely ridiculous. The biggest problems with this team are obviously the dismal play of Richards and Gaborik, and the lack of secondary scoring from the bottom six.

To say he's been as bad as Richards, Gaborik, or Boyle boggles my mind.

His production is down because the team's production is down. He had a bad game tonight, but he still has far more "on" games than he has "off" games.

He played just as much last season, and everything was fine. Besides, he's on the ice as much as he is because of his play away from the puck more than anything. He's not a skill player, he has to get some offensive support to produce. How the hell do you think a guy like Chris Drury scored 30-35 goals in Buffalo? He was surrounded by skill players who created opportunites for him. He was smart enough and gave enough effort to capitalize on them. That's how Callahan works. You can't expect him to pull these nice dekes out every night. He's not Pavel Bure. It's a bonus whenever he gives you one of those. He's going to score dirty, hardworking goals that are usually created in part by plays from skill players. When those guys aren't making anything happen offensively, Callahan's production is bound to drop.

I also agree that he is putting or at least feeling extra pressure to produce because other people aren't, and I feel like he's focusing too much on offense, which is actually hurting his production, because so much of the offense he is able to create for himself is from his defense.

NO ONE on the team is scoring besides Nash, Stepan, and Hagelin. Callahan didn't seem to have a problem scoring when he played with Stepan. You expect him to score a lot when he plays with rookie J.T. Miller and one dimensional Gaborik? Or when he's playing with Richards who is playing quite poorly himself?

Let's not forget that this is coming from a poster that has been arguing for years that Callahan is an inferior player to Dubinsky, which is and has always been laughable.

No matter how many complaints you can lodge against this team, and there are many, there is one positive thing you can always count on: Lundqvist and Callahan are never going to be chief causes of concern. The reason you know this to be true is because throughout virtually their entire careers, they never have been. This is one agenda, under rating Callahan, that has never had any factual or logical support.

Callahan's play is so far down the list of issues plaguing this team now that it really doesn't even warrant discussion, IMO.

You don't know what you have in a player like Callahan.
I agree with pretty much everything you said except the part that he was playing well with Step. Step/Cally had very little chemistry outside of a handful of games. 5 of the 9 goals Cally has have been on the PP.

I actually like Cally with Miller, but that line needs a two way banger. Not a finesse sniper...

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 02:05 AM
  #13
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
I feel like when Kershaw wakes up and sees this thread, he'll think to himself, "I know what I'm going to find inside, and I know I'm going to be flamed. But hey, after that awful game, maybe folks will start to agree."

It's a trap.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 02:06 AM
  #14
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you said except the part that he was playing well with Step. Step/Cally had very little chemistry outside of a handful of games. 5 of the 9 goals Cally has have been on the PP.

I actually like Cally with Miller, but that line needs a two way banger. Not a finesse sniper...
Stepan has assisted on 4 of his 9 goals, and I actually thought their chemistry was terrific. They didn't even play together for that long. The coach shuffles the lines so often, but in this case I actually understand why he split them apart. Hagelin-Stepan-Nash obviously has good chemistry, so they can at least have Callahan on a different line, making that line invariably better than it would be with any other player on the team outside of that top line.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 02:11 AM
  #15
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
stop diving ffs

Kreider Typical is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 02:12 AM
  #16
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Stepan has assisted on 4 of his 9 goals, and I actually thought their chemistry was terrific. They didn't even play together for that long. The coach shuffles the lines so often, but in this case I actually understand why he split them apart. Hagelin-Stepan-Nash obviously has good chemistry, so they can at least have Callahan on a different line, making that line invariably better than it would be with any other player on the team outside of that top line.
Personally, I hated the look of it. I can't stand when Cally is put into position where he has to make playmaking decisions with the puck. It always been painful to watch for me.

I like it when cally is playing straight ahead: working the boards and driving to the net.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
  #17
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Personally, I hated the look of it. I can't stand when Cally is put into position where he has to make playmaking decisions with the puck. It always been painful to watch for me.

I like it when cally is playing straight ahead: working the boards and driving to the net.
I liked it because he and Hags below the goal line is a nightmare for other teams, and Stepan was able to read the play so well he always seemed to be in position to take the puck and create some offense.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
  #18
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Personally, I hated the look of it. I can't stand when Cally is put into position where he has to make playmaking decisions with the puck. It always been painful to watch for me.

I like it when cally is playing straight ahead: working the boards and driving to the net.
I just didn't see that. I think one of the biggest differences between the "new" Stepan and the "old" Stepan has been his passing, which was the case throughout the period when the two of them played together.

If there is one thing to nitpick about Callahan, it is that sometimes he takes bad shots. He's a smart player, so I'm not afraid of him passing the puck as long as he doesn't get to cute with it. He has a good shot, but his accuracy isn't great from the high slot and beyond, and sometimes he takes shots that are just wastes. Thankfully, he doesn't do it at a rate that is unacceptable.

Bottom line, I think if he and Stepan were playing together, he'd be producing at a rate far closer to last season than he is without him. But then, Nash's production would go down. That takes precedence.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 02:27 AM
  #19
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,813
vCash: 500
Stepan is going to have back problems after carrying so many players this season

Callahan has had more good games than bad games this year and he had a really bad one tonight but he is not even remotely close to the top of the list of Ranger issues this year.

Affinity is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 03:49 AM
  #20
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Stepan is going to have back problems after carrying so many players this season

Callahan has had more good games than bad games this year and he had a really bad one tonight but he is not even remotely close to the top of the list of Ranger issues this year.
I'd think this is pretty spot on. Again...Callahan shouldn't be a guy you complain about, as far as I can tell.

jBuds is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 05:36 AM
  #21
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
.

Callahan's play is so far down the list of issues plaguing this team now that it really doesn't even warrant discussion, IMO.

.
Voice of reason, I agree, sorry Cally brings it every night, if the rest of these losers would play half as hard as him...see Richards. Gabby...etc...

Mio41 is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 05:38 AM
  #22
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Callahan is great when he is on his game, and pretty brutal when he is off.

Riverdale is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 06:12 AM
  #23
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod
 
FATCHAMALA11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
Everyone sucks because Torts is the worst *** coach for this type of team.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 06:21 AM
  #24
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,468
vCash: 50
Awards:
In terms of production, it has been a bad season for Callahan. At least the effort is still there. He still leads by example.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 06:22 AM
  #25
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,572
vCash: 50
The only issue I have would be the dives he took last night. If there's one thing that gets me steamed, it's dishonourable play, whether it's diving, coasting around or dirty hockey.

Callahan is better than reducing himself to the level of a diver. Leave those escapades to the Pens and Habs.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.