HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Tortorella Thread Pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 11:19 PM
SA16
Two by two...

vCash: 500
Or was the reasons last years team performed better offensively largely that our two top players (Richards/Gabork) actually got the job done compared to this year when they have had almost zero production?
Agreed on the bottom pairing defenseman point.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Heyoooo*

30th in goals for once again.

****ing 30th.

Edmonton beat Columbus 6-4.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:33 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

How anyone can support this ******* idiot as coach is beyond me.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:07 AM
ThisYearsModel

Torts has worn out his welcome. Time for him to go.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:50 AM
Dorado*

Anytime I read " TORTS KINDA GUY " I think , an uncreative stone hands plug or a former member of the 2004 BOLTS .
I can't wait until that expression is no longer spewed like vomit on this board . I'm thinking there are less and less " TORTS KINDA APOLOGISTs" on here .

Old
03-29-2013, 04:06 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
Yep, as usual Dorado, I agree. His time has come and gone. Time for a tactician, no more motivators.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:29 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

Same stuff different day, Torts trying to play this year's Rangers like they're last years Rangers despite the turnover in personnel, dump chase block block dump chase, yawn

Old
03-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Heave Ho, Torts gotta go!!

Old
03-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 245
I still think there may be a little bit of hope if they bring in another assistant. Someone who is a strong tactician and can handle the PP.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:20 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

If the Rangers lose three of the next four, I have a hard time seeing Torts lasting.

I guess Schoenfeld would be interim when you consider he's got experience taking over a team without a playoff spot solidified and guiding them.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Riverdale

At least Kreider is improving. He plays way better than JT.
*runs for cover*

Torts needs to bench him, or something. I am going out on a limb and going to say he won't though.

Last edited by Riverdale: 03-29-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old
03-29-2013, 06:24 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I've never been a fan of Torts, but always offered guarded support for him as our coach. His time has come and gone, however. Whether he has "lost" the team, to me, is irrelevant--the coach is ultimately responsible for the performance of his players, and what we've seen this year from 3/4 of our roster has been an abject failure.

I'd like to have a discussion about Slats as well, but it's pointless.

It's just pain.
Old
03-29-2013, 06:26 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
John Tortorella Discusses NYR Offense/Defense on Michael Kay

http://snyrangersblog.com/coachesgm/...ce=twitterfeed

On the star players, “You just look at Brad on the fifth goal and he allowed the play to come to him. He waits for the offense to come to him. I think that is such a telling tale for Brad and to let the offense come to him. It opens up the game. Step has been one of our best players all year long. Chris Kreider played very well. Miller played really well. We need to stay with what we are doing well and hope that our guys feel better about the game. Coaches can’t teach creativity.”

On living with defensive mistakes, “It’s an easy thing for people to say, people say many times about me that I don’t let my offensive players play and all it is is defense, defense defense. It’s so untrue. You just will not win in this league unless you play strong defense. When you talk about defense, people just think it’s about being in your end zone. Defense starts when you don’t have the puck, so that is something we have been working on. We are trying to establish our forecheck more so we don’t spend time in our endzone. We have a huge injury with Marc Staal and I have a huge amount of respect for how the guys have reacted, not just the defensemen but our forwards. You have to play stronger team defense when you lose a cog like that. It’s easy to pick apart a team and say that your offensive guys aren’t going so you aren’t letting them play. I don’t buy it. You win championships, you get into and compete in the playoffs if you understand how to play away from the puck cause if you do, you have the puck more and your offensive people have it more.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Dorado*

Play away from the puck are extremely important . It's no good having the puck in a down low cycling game if
1; your not moving the puck to scoring areas
2; you draw penalties by extended down low play and fail to capitalize on them .
It's not working for months now . I think personal agenda and vitriole aside it's time next season for a change . I'd much rather watch a team like OTT pressure and trap and counter than our mindless behind the net noodling

Old
03-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
I still think there may be a little bit of hope if they bring in another assistant. Someone who is a strong tactician and can handle the PP.
If he can do that, there is no point being for him being an assistant coach.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Play away from the puck are extremely important . It's no good having the puck in a down low cycling game if
1; your not moving the puck to scoring areas
2; you draw penalties by extended down low play and fail to capitalize on them .
It's not working for months now . I think personal agenda and vitriole aside it's time next season for a change . I'd much rather watch a team like OTT pressure and trap and counter than our mindless behind the net noodling
There is always Tom Renney

Old
03-29-2013, 07:26 AM
djf

So, if Torts goes. Who do we get to replace him? Ruff? Any good coaches out there who are available?

Old
03-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf View Post
So, if Torts goes. Who do we get to replace him? Ruff? Any good coaches out there who are available?
boucher?

Old
03-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Schoenfeld as an intermediate. Sather should make the new coaching decision over the summer imo. We could also potentially poach someone over the summer.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:43 AM
NCRanger

Don't know if anyone realizes or cares, but over the last 70 or so games, this team is under .500.

Finished the last 18 games of last year 9-9.
The 20 playoff games 10-10, against three teams that the Rangers should have beaten fairly easily.
and this year, with the shootout losses, under .500.

Even the first 64 games of last season were a matter of defensive effort and Hank stealing wins.

This has not been a really good team for a while now, even with the level of skill and talent.

It's time to remove Tortorella, and completely change the style and strategy.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I've never been a fan of Torts, but always offered guarded support for him as our coach. His time has come and gone, however. Whether he has "lost" the team, to me, is irrelevant--the coach is ultimately responsible for the performance of his players, and what we've seen this year from 3/4 of our roster has been an abject failure.

I'd like to have a discussion about Slats as well, but it's pointless.
Sather isn't goin anywhere. People say "don't fire torts its sather's fault!" Well guess what? Sather isnt going anywhere, focus on what can be changed NOW

Old
03-29-2013, 08:18 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Yabadabadooooooooo time
JAM
BAM
Thank you MAM

Old
03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'm finally on-board with firing Torts. Last in goals with this team???? Yeah that SHOULD get you fired. I don't really want Ruff or Boucher, though. I'd prefer Ruff, however, if those are our best options.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
Same stuff different day, Torts trying to play this year's Rangers like they're last years Rangers despite the turnover in personnel, dump chase block block dump chase, yawn
EXACTLY. His unwillingness/inability to change the paradigm will be his downfall.

Instead of making changes (besides shifting the lines 80 million times), he continues to be married to this philosophy that is clearly not working.

Time to go

Old
03-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Ruff would be a good choice IMO.
He did an excellent job in Buffalo. Things get stale after a decade, but they were a team that always seemed to over achieve.

I normally am an advocate of stability and prefer keeping coaches and letting them ride it out, but I think Torts does need to go.

A very overrated coach if you look at what his teams have done in Tampa and NY.
One magical year and alot of medicority and under achieving.

BTW, I have to believe that had Ottawa or even washington knocked us out last year he'd be gone by now.

Closed Thread