HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Favorite Bob Errey sayings

Old
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Flowerpower29

vCash: 500
"Speaking of cancer, Jason Blake..."

Flowerpower29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

"Murray looked at Kane like he was going to eat him!"

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:10 PM
diligent_d

Regarding Malkin just a moment ago:

"His long fishing pole got in there!"

diligent_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#FreeBeau

"They're Montoying with them."

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligent_d View Post
Regarding Malkin just a moment ago:

"His long fishing pole got in there!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
"They're Montoying with them."
Both of these were hilarious... Bibs was rollin' tonight!

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:54 AM
LetangInTheSO

Bob Errey Appreciation Thread

Never in my life did I think I would make this thread, but I want to give it up for Bob Errey both for livening up our broadcasts and for contributing meaningful analysis in between spurts of meaningless goofy banter.

For the longest time, I lamented listening to our broadcasts, what with Steigy ignorantly doning on in his monotone voice and Errey excitedly blabbering on about stick tape and hair cuts. I still can't stand Steigy, but I have to say that I've come around on Errey. Yes, in addition to being a homer, the guy is a total goofball, and he obsesses over obscure minutia. With that said, the guy has a pretty good eye for what's going on schematically from his vantage point between the benches, and his observations when it comes to systems/tactics are actually insightful. Once I realized this, I became much more tolerant of his goofiness. Simply, the guy is just giddy that he gets to do PBP for a living at this stage of his life. He clearly still loves being around the game.

Anybody else want to show some love for Errey?

Aside: Steigy still has to go.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:09 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Love Errey. Never for a minute did I ever not love Errey. He's completely retarded, but, to paraphrase Borat, it's a very funny retardation. Also, he has eyes of a hawk and is a quite capable analyst.

Steiggy is awful. More than once, I've muted the television and watched in dead silence because of him.

And no, I can't turn on the radio. It used to synch pretty well with Direct TV, but this year it's way off.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:41 AM
DoktorZaius

Yeah, Errey never fails to crack me up. Usually unintentionally, but still. He really does love the game. For similar reasons, I don't mind Pierre McGuire despite all the hate he gets when it's an NBC cast.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:53 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I miss him. Center Ice is Montoying with my emotions

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:40 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

When he's just giving an honest, unbiased analysis such as when he's on the NHL, both him and Steigy prove to be insightful and knowledgeable. When they're doing the broadcasts trying to be cute, funny they're massive homererific, unbearable idiots and I have to mute the tv before I get an aneurism. If they'd just be serious and call the game, they'd be fine

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
When he's just giving an honest, unbiased analysis such as when he's on the NHL, both him and Steigy prove to be insightful and knowledgeable. When they're doing the broadcasts trying to be cute, funny they're massive homererific, unbearable idiots and I have to mute the tv before I get an aneurism. If they'd just be serious and call the game, they'd be fine
Half the announcers in the league are just as homerish as ours. Ours are just more excited about it instead of half the league's boring monotone guys. I can't stand listening to boring play by play. Save it for the radio. I don't need someone to calmly explain what is happening on the ice. I can see what is happening on the ice. Add some analysis or some excitement.

Steigy sucks, he does. Errey wants us to win and doesn't hide it. But he still calls things how he sees them. He is better than most of the color guys I listen to discussing the refs. The Rangers guys sound like they might cry when the calls go against them half the time. If we get away with something, he'll mention it. If we get a bad call in our favor, he'll mention it.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Half the announcers in the league are just as homerish as ours. Ours are just more excited about it instead of half the league's boring monotone guys. I can't stand listening to boring play by play. Save it for the radio. I don't need someone to calmly explain what is happening on the ice. I can see what is happening on the ice. Add some analysis or some excitement.

Steigy sucks, he does. Errey wants us to win and doesn't hide it. But he still calls things how he sees them. He is better than most of the color guys I listen to discussing the refs. The Rangers guys sound like they might cry when the calls go against them half the time.
A lot of announcers are definitely homers. I will give Errey credit when it comes to the refs: he really does call it like it is with them and how thigns are/may go down.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

If you want serious, listen to the radio feed.

Sports people take themselves entirely too seriously as is. It's a ******* game, not some medieval war or patriotic sacrifice.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
A lot of announcers are definitely homers. I will give Errey credit when it comes to the refs: he really does call it like it is with them and how thigns are/may go down.
put him next to a decent play by play guy and Errey would be considered one of the best color guys in the league imo.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Shwag33

Won't give him credit, but steiggy brings him down. I'd probably like him if he was with someone else.

The entire steigerwald family annoys me.... john on those stupid radio commercials.....

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:29 AM
arnold slick

I love his analysis but last night I got a little pissed at him and Steigy talking during the 5 on 3 and not realizing that a second penalty was called....I was like shut up and call the game

arnold slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Love Errey. Never for a minute did I ever not love Errey. He's completely retarded, but, to paraphrase Borat, it's a very funny retardation. Also, he has eyes of a hawk and is a quite capable analyst.

Steiggy is awful. More than once, I've muted the television and watched in dead silence because of him.

And no, I can't turn on the radio. It used to synch pretty well with Direct TV, but this year it's way off.
I love Errey. His goofiness eases some of my stress watching these games. It's like watching the game with a funny family member.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:38 AM
BreakfastatMarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Won't give him credit, but steiggy brings him down. I'd probably like him if he was with someone else.

The entire steigerwald family annoys me.... john on those stupid radio commercials.....
Someone get me some NACHO's lol

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

I tend to tune out Steigerwald. I really couldn't care less if he sucks at play by play, I have eyes. I can see what's going on for myself.

I love Errey. The man has absolutely no filter between his brain and his mouth and I find it hilarious. As others have said, he's far less homer-ish than he gets accused of being as well. He's never hesitated to say that the Pens got a bad call in their favor or that he thinks a Pens goal will likely be waived off, and more often than not he's right.

I've noticed that even Steigerwald is a little less uberhomer than he used to be too. I can't remember who he was being critical of last night but he did say something to the effect of a player not playing especially well and a few broadcasts ago he was critiquing Beau Bennett as well. Nothing too excessive but way outside of his usual blinders to any mistakes the Pens might make.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

The presense of Murray on this team may be all that's required to generate a near-constant stream of erreyisms. He's played 1 game and already 1G = 3 Err.

Just waiting for the next guy to bounce off Murray and Errey will go

"Douglas MURRAY! The Beer Tap Man.... Built like a Brick Beer Tap, Steigy! The Three-headed Beer Tap!"

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I tend to tune out Steigerwald. I really couldn't care less if he sucks at play by play, I have eyes. I can see what's going on for myself.

I love Errey. The man has absolutely no filter between his brain and his mouth and I find it hilarious. As others have said, he's far less homer-ish than he gets accused of being as well. He's never hesitated to say that the Pens got a bad call in their favor or that he thinks a Pens goal will likely be waived off, and more often than not he's right.

I've noticed that even Steigerwald is a little less uberhomer than he used to be too. I can't remember who he was being critical of last night but he did say something to the effect of a player not playing especially well and a few broadcasts ago he was critiquing Beau Bennett as well. Nothing too excessive but way outside of his usual blinders to any mistakes the Pens might make.
Most teams home announcers want their team to win. I think ours are considered huge homers is because they are excited all the time even if they don't actually root for our team any more than the average home announcer does.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Kesid
The House of Penguin

y

Last edited by Kesid: 03-29-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: yt fix
Kesid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Montoying

Douglas Murray

Last edited by Captain Hook: 03-29-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I feel like Root pushes the goofball angle to give the broadcasts some kind of folksy appeal.

Not that Errey isn't goofy on his own, but if you listen to just a one on one interview with him elsewhere, he's actually a fairly articulate guy with some insightful observations.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Jacob

I like that last clip but they should've included when Errey said "Murray's down below the goal line! He's lost his mind!!"

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote