HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ramifications of false news from Aaron Ward? (Not a thread about the trade of Iginla)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2013, 01:34 AM
  #251
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Didn't Dreger basically do the same thing in the Heatley situation? Did he lose credibility? There is your answer.
Uhhhh, is Dreger considered credible? Lol. The guy's a joke that you can't get the sportsnet stink off of.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:50 AM
  #252
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,622
vCash: 500
I dont see the problem here.

Both Calgary AND Boston also thought it was a done deal. Blame Iginla.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:51 AM
  #253
Bum
Ontario Oiler fan
 
Bum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Ward has been MIA from TSN and twitter all day.

I'm sure McKenzie or Dreger will get a confirmed scoop on something and let Ward break it so he rebuild his credibility.

Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:55 AM
  #254
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir Jagr View Post
oh, it's melodramatic to wish the media reported actual facts instead of random crap in order to generate revenue?
This guy cant be serious...right?

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:59 AM
  #255
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
Don't really see how anyone can really discredit him after Chiarelli's presser today...

Not only was Ward duped. So were the Bruins.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:06 AM
  #256
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I dont see the problem here.

Both Calgary AND Boston also thought it was a done deal. Blame Iginla.
hard to blame the media when all of those involved thought the deal was a done deal, and then the player himself classlessly basically pulls the big renege on the whole thing

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:08 AM
  #257
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 11,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Up until 11:45 last night his source could have been Chiarelli himself and he would have been right as far as most people knew. It's not his fault Calgary changed their minds at the last moment. These are sports rumours. Some will be right, others wont be. The only person who should lose their job here is the nitwit at nhl.com who posted the Boston story on the league's official site before it was confirmed. What sort of league posts rumours backed up by sports pundits as content?
Everyone was duped, not just Ward. But this is the part I find to be odd. Chia said today he was told at 11:45 that Boston was out. If I have the timeline correct in my head Ward didn't make the infamous "done" tweet until after midnight. The Feaster press conference wasn't until after 1AM. For as many sources as the TSN guys have it's crazy how none of them were informed that Boston was out for over an hour.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:30 AM
  #258
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 56,185
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tont View Post
Well he'll definitely lose credibility amongst hockey fans. Other than that he'll just apologize and everyone will move on.
and block anyone on twitter that has some fun with it

He really hated the Tribunes Dewey wins reference

Aaron Ward is going to get ridden hard for awhile by some reporters over this

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:50 AM
  #259
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
and block anyone on twitter that has some fun with it

He really hated the Tribunes Dewey wins reference

Aaron Ward is going to get ridden hard for awhile by some reporters over this
I don't know if they'll be all over him because it could have easily happened to any of them. If a GM tells you a deal is done, which is likely what happened, and he turns out to be wrong, how do u trust another GM?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
  #260
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 1000
He broke the news when everyone believed it was Boston, including Boston's TM. Probably Feaster too.

Sounds like he broke quality insider info, it's just the insiders forgot to run it by Iginla.

Besides any news is good for brand recognition (you are talking about him now).

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:14 AM
  #261
Dicky113
Registered User
 
Dicky113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
The fact that mumbles ward can't get a sentence out without stuttering, mispronouncing, or spluttering is far more irritating than him blabbing about a deal that hadn't happened yet.

Dicky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:35 AM
  #262
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,363
vCash: 500
None for Ward, he can't be blamed.

I think Feaster/Calgary will have issues going forward making trades with other teams... Calgary is clearly the Mickey Mouse Organization of the NHL now.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:22 PM
  #263
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
He broke the news when everyone believed it was Boston, including Boston's TM. Probably Feaster too.

Sounds like he broke quality insider info, it's just the insiders forgot to run it by Iginla.

Besides any news is good for brand recognition (you are talking about him now).
according to King, Calgary believed it was a done deal too, it seems they took Iginla's word as good, which seems to be just one of the big mistakes in this fiasco

I hope that nothing changes in the media going forward other than to add with certainty the words "subject to nhl official announcement" to everything

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:24 PM
  #264
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.
 
WornWithPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Town in Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,936
vCash: 500
Funny, Right after he declared the deal done, I said to myself, I'll give this guy a follow on Twitter.


He was removed the next morning.

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:17 PM
  #265
Bum
Ontario Oiler fan
 
Bum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Ward could have been reprimanded by TSN, but not because of the inaccurate report. He had retweeted a fan that sent him a profanity laced message telling him to go kill himself (He deleted it after an hour or 2). I'm sure TSN really didn't like him doing that. He still hasn't posted anything since.

Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  #266
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Thank you!

What if both GMs confirm the trade but the league blocks it for whatever reason?
What if the deal is made but the player fails his physical and the trade is therefore cancelled?

At which point can journalists safely announce trades?

What if a coach says he'll play his #1 goalie but ends up playing his backup, would any journalist that wrote that the #1 would play be considered of having zero standards?

This is real life, **** happens... Not everything will be 100%.
You announce the trade as final after it happens... Beforehand you say there's a deal in principle that is expected to be finalized. It needs final approval from the player first.

Really not hard to grasp this. You get the story right. Reporting accuracy is more important than speed. If you rush to be first and you don't know what you're talking about the next time you're first people are going to doubt you. Dumb move on his part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I called it immediately in that thread. I said 'Aaron Ward is an amateur, and I don't believe this is confirmed for a second'.

You could see the doubt written all over him as he said "it's okay to report it". The guy was on the hot seat with the panel looking at him, and he clearly panicked. He said it was okay, but the look on his face said 'it's probably not okay to report this'. I think people should have seen that and not latched on to his confirmation so strongly.

It's everyone's own fault for believing a guy that doesn't have the credibility of a Bob McKenzie or a Renaud Lavoie.
Mckenzie did it right. He said the deal is all but done but it still needs to be finalized. It's not firm yet.

Ward wanted the scoop and gambled and lost. That's the difference between the amateurs and the pros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehab View Post
"What people don't understand is that there is no such thing as absolute "facts"

that is true of most people and quite annoying
Yes there is such a thing as 'facts'. The fact of the matter here is that Ward confirmed a trade that wasn't finalized. And he's lost a lot of credibilty with the viewers out there. Hopefully he learned a lesson there and he follows Bob Mackenzie's example. The deal isn't done until it's done.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:54 PM
  #267
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,837
vCash: 500
He'll be sent down to Sportsnet.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.