Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it fair to say we miss thomas?

Old
03-28-2013, 06:10 AM
Czerk

vCash: 500
Thomas who? Nope, don't miss him.

It is not Rasks fault we give up 2 on 1 and breakaways 3-4 times a game. We weren't doing that last season....

Czerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:44 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

1st and Anton Khudobin to the NY Islanders in the condition Tim Thomas comes back and plays the playoffs for us.

We need a knight in shining armor. Timmy can win over the city he lost; (or at least attempt to).

I'd take a motivated to win Timmy over Tuukka any day.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Spooner st

Yes... I miss Thomas.

Rask is a good goalie, But he is no TT that's for sure.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
KrejciMVP

Tim Thomas isn't the first great Boston Athlete the media has driven out of town.

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
hoss75

I miss Tim Thomas. He was my favorite player when he was with us and definitely one of my all time favorite players... And yeah he could steal some games this season.
But Tuukka is pretty darn good. Hasn't been the stone wall Thomas could be in games, but he's still young. And the complete lack of fire in the B's makes me think a guy like Thomas or Iggy alone isn't gonna suddenly turn the B's around. The D sucks right now, the would be just as bad if it wasn't for the Bergeron line. With all the injuries we need more than a couple upgrades and a complete change in attitude to get things going in the right direction.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:09 AM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
With Thomas gone, you see the holes this team really has defensively. He's not there to cover them up anymore. Something me and a few other posters have mentioned over the last 2 or 3 years about how Thomas covers for a lot of warts, and we aren't a legitimate top cup contender without him. And it still took an otherworldly performance by him to get us the cup. We can't rely on that again.
Even in that Philly sweep that post-season... I'm a philly fan, and as a matter of fact out of sympathy for having mounted that (for you guys) heart breatking 0-3 series and down 3-0 in game 7 series win, I couldn't be anything but happy for Boston but wow. In that series even, Philly played poorly, no question and Boston was the better team. But WOW whether or not he stole any games in that series by himself, Thomas just made it impossible for Philly to have a chance whether they played amazing or terribly.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Count his years from 06-07 on, and he's one of the greatest goalies of all time. Two Vezinas, the greatest regular season and playoff season ever by a goalie, Conn Smythe, and a Stanley Cup which should only have his name on it. All in 6 professional years.

Rask is a great goalie, and we may not miss his attitude and shenanigans, but we miss him on the ice. That's a given. It'll be a long time until we see another goalie like Thomas. Probably never.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Cronuss

Thomas is clearly in the Illuminati.

How can you compete with that?

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Serpico4ever

We're missing not being able to have traded him for something tangible, because he freaked out. Otherwise it's hard to miss someone who's not playing and has been replaced by another guy that has crazy good stats.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:36 AM
GodTukka*

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
2010/11 Tim Thomas was the best season/post season by a Bruins goaltender ever, maybe top five in the NHL all time. It’s fair to say any team would miss that level of goaltending, but it's not clear if he could reach that level again.

Before people say I'm crazy, take a look at this thread http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=926598. HOH board is much better and full of knowledgeable posters
Really hard to argue against Parent there, look at those freakin' numbers and what era they were put up in.

Hasek probably has a better case too for the simple fact he literally dragged a band of scrubs in that 99 Sabres team all the way to the cup final.

Thomas, while outstanding in his own right had the best defensive team in the league playing in front of him.

Seems like a lot of people hate Rask just for the simple fact he's not Tim Thomas, which isn't fair imo.

I'd rather have Rask now, Thomas showed all he cares about is himself

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:05 AM
nmbr_24

I was thinking about it for a while and I don't think last year's Tim Thomas was any better than Rask is right now. The Cup year Thomas was great but I do seem to remember him giving up a boatload of goals against Montreal in a fight filled game that I am pretty sure none of us complained about.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:23 AM
KrejciMVP

I wish he was still here, howerver in the states if you mention anything political, especially in Mass, people pounce like rabid dogs. Same thing here in MTL. Personally I hate politicians, some of the worst scum on earth. That's why I support Timmy

Old
03-29-2013, 07:26 AM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

I do miss him, but I have moved on. No point in going backwards at this point, he is now part of Bruins' history.

The Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
I do miss him, but I have moved on. No point in going backwards at this point, he is now part of Bruins' history.
This.

Tim Thomas was a star - a once in a long long time goalie and we were lucky to have him (and he lucky to have Boston as well). However, he's gone and we have a young, talented goalie that needs time and room to develop -- and FAN SUPPORT.

Right or wrong, most of us have seen that Tuukka is a pretty emotional kid. No amount of slagging off Tuukka will bring TT back. And if Thomas does comes back, he's in NYI.

At a time when the Bruins are in a a bit of a hole and reeling from a crappy few days, can we give the I Miss Timmy sentiments a break until the season is over?

TT was great, but lamenting over him is like me lamenting over the fact that Dougie Hamilton isnt Bobby Orr and has made a few mistakes this season.

Isn't it in our best interest for Tuukka to be playing his very best right now -- and to try and try and support him in that effort?

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
I wish he was still here, howerver in the states if you mention anything political, especially in Mass, people pounce like rabid dogs. Same thing here in MTL. Personally I hate politicians, some of the worst scum on earth. That's why I support Timmy
No offence meant, but Timmy sounds exactly like a politician, I won't be surprised if he goes into politics.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
bosoxmrkn

Send a message via AIM to bosoxmrkn
We have a goalie, who among starters is 2nd in GAA and 5th in Save%? While his team has the 3rd best record in the conference?

Please give me a break. You can not expect more from a goaltender. If this team is not living up to your expectations, look elsewhere.

bosoxmrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:48 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
We miss Recchi and Ryder more then we miss Thomas.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
We miss Recchi and Ryder more then we miss Thomas.
I think that's absolutely true.

Let's say someone thinks that Tuukka is 85% of TT right now (I'm just throwing a number out there -- it doesn't matter the exact amount, he's obviously a very good goalie).

If we had an 85% solution for the absence of Ryder and Recchi right now we'd be in good shape and be focusing solely on a Dman.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:08 AM
ODAAT

Can`t answer this until we see Tuukka in the playoffs

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:09 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Depends which Thomas you are talking. '10-'11 Thomas? Absolutely, he had arguably the greatest goaltender season ever when you combine the regular season and playoffs. Last year's Thomas? Not so much, Rask is not only as good but actually a bit of an upgrade over that Thomas. Ditto for '09-'10 Thomas, while '08-'09 Thomas was better.

I consider Thomas a bit better than Rask personally (longer track record and better peak so far) but instead of sitting around thinking about how much the Bruins miss Thomas when the answer is marginally, I think about how lucky the Bruins are to have a 26 year old goalie who is top 10 at worst and maybe more like top 5 and rising.

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:19 AM
KrejciMVP

Rask has all the talent in the world but let's see if he can be as clutch as Thomas was. IMO that's what separates the good goalies (Rask, Ludquist, Luongo,) from the great ones (brodeur, Thomas)

Old
03-29-2013, 09:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandNoseBest View Post
Depends which Thomas you are talking. '10-'11 Thomas? Absolutely, he had arguably the greatest goaltender season ever when you combine the regular season and playoffs. Last year's Thomas? Not so much, Rask is not only as good but actually a bit of an upgrade over that Thomas. Ditto for '09-'10 Thomas, while '08-'09 Thomas was better.

I consider Thomas a bit better than Rask personally (longer track record and better peak so far) but instead of sitting around thinking about how much the Bruins miss Thomas when the answer is marginally, I think about how lucky the Bruins are to have a 26 year old goalie who is top 10 at worst and maybe more like top 5 and rising.
Timmy takes heat for his play last year yet.....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=84346

Tuukka`s 2013 stats

Timmy`s stats from last year

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...thomati01.html

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Timmy takes heat for his play last year yet.....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=84346

Tuukka`s 2013 stats

Timmy`s stats from last year

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...thomati01.html
Not sure what this proves since Rask's numbers are a bit better and I called him a bit of an upgrade? Never said Timmy sucked and Rask was a massive upgrade as I thought Thomas caught too much **** just like Rask does now.

My point was it depends on the year, if you are talking '10-'11 Thomas, yes, we absolutely miss him. But we don't miss Thomas from last year. And that's not to say Thomas was bad last year, he was quite good, Rask is just playing a bit better.

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
howaryuh

Sure I miss TT, even my kids are asking where he is and are sad to hear what is going on.
Yes, he had a great year, records, trophies, Cup, yada yada.
But it was the intangibles he brought to the team, always being aware of the importance of how he showed his attitude and confidence to his team mates. Some examples are his hit on Sedin, the whack on the legs in retaliation for messing with his goal stick, tackling rushing forwards about to run him (I saw him do this on Blake at the ACC and it was awesome!). I do think this spurned on the rest of the team to be aggressive and tough, and in his absence the intensity seems to have dropped in that respect.
Lucky to have had him, do miss him, but the TT era is over and time to move on. I do believe the existing corps of goaltenders can someday bring about great success for the B's in the future.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:33 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
Rask has all the talent in the world but let's see if he can be as clutch as Thomas was. IMO that's what separates the good goalies (Rask, Ludquist, Luongo,) from the great ones (brodeur, Thomas)
This. I have no doubt Rask is a capable potential #1 for a Stanley Cup champion...Let's remember there have been a lot of very very good goalies who have never won a Cup.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote