HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Our strenght, weakness...

Old
08-12-2006, 01:59 PM
KaptainKourage*

vCash: 500
Our strenght, weakness...

Just saw that on Flyers board and might think it could be interesting to see what Habs fan think about their Habs strenght and weakness...

Strenght
-Our speed. We are one of the most speedy team in the league and we dont have any garbage who absolutely cant skate, now that Dagenais's gone...

-Our top 4 wingers : Kovalev, Samsonov, Ryder, Higgins. All of them can score 30 goals if play all-season long and all of them are likely to reach 60 points.

-Our goaltendam : ****, we may have goalie contreversy yet again. Huet will be in sort of a sophmore year but I think he will still be a #1 goalie and keep winning big games for us. Aebi may surprise some people during the camp and pre-season I think, likely to have a good season.

Weakness
-Lack of true 1st pairing. Yes, Markov is a 1st pairing dman but Souray, Rivet and Komisarek arent. We need another 1st pairing dman to be considered as contender.

-Lack of size down centre. Yope, no-one saw this coming eh ? We need a better 2nd line centre. Ribeiro will probably have an ok season but we need a big, two way dman, who can score. Ribeiro isnt. Is more a playmaker than a scorer (and in a big way) and a scorer would be perfect between Samsonov, a playmaker, and Kovalev, an amazing puck mover.

-Lack of spots... we have too much rookies

PS : I dont think we are soft. Koivu, Higgins, Kovalev, Samsonov are not soft, they are not hard-hitter neither but still. Bégin, Murray, Downey can all drop the gloves if need have and we have a blueline with a lot of big though guys... see Rivet, Souray, Komo, Cote and Bouillon.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:09 PM
wholeshow*

with a 44 million cap, it will be extremely difficult to find a centerman that can be a significant improvement over ribs without gutting the team in other areas. ribs is cheap and we'll have to hope and pray that he takes his game up to another level (like the playoffs, where his effort reached new heights). I hope that next years cap goes to something around 48 or 50 million, this will give us a ton of space to acquire the centerman that we need...without having to takeaway from other areas of the team (like defense) to balance out the cap.

If you look at it, the centerman that you most likely speak of makes upwards of 4 million and right now that's just not economically feasible. If the cap does not increase, we'll just have to hope that a guy like grabovsky can step into the NHL and play at a top level (i believe he can)...or look for a trade that involves one of our more pricier players (like kovalev) that a team may actually want and covet. Then again, i love kovalev and want to see him remain a hab.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
We need a 100% sure shootout scorer like Dagenais!

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Guy Caballero

Good synopsis. I'd like to add one more:

- lack of a gamebreaking forward

We still don't have a dependable PPG player. Koivu might be able to do it if he stays healthy and has a great year, and it’s possible one of our two scoring lines will develop great chemistry, but without a big-time star, we’ll continue to lose a lot of close ones that we should be winning.

On the bright side, I think Perezhogin, or even Higgins, could step up this year and give us that missing element.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:14 PM
tritone

Strength : COACHING

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Habber

Interesting. Agree with yours, also:

Strength
-Lots of depth at forward. Tough finding spots for everyone.
-The PP. We were 5th last season and with Sammy we may improve on that. We'll have two very potent PP lines. (Although we have to score on more 5 on 3's)

Weakness
-Lack of depth on D. A couple of injuries on the blue line and we'll be in serious trouble.
-Lack of talent on D. Overall, we have a solid group, but individually very mediocre in the skills department, escpecially offensive.
-The PK. 21st last year and very inconsistent. With Carbo around from the start, one would think there will be big improvements in this regard.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:20 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Good synopsis. I'd like to add one more:

- lack of a gamebreaking forward

We still don't have a dependable PPG player. Koivu might be able to do it if he stays healthy and has a great year, and it’s possible one of our two scoring lines will develop great chemistry, but without a big-time star, we’ll continue to lose a lot of close ones that we should be winning.

On the bright side, I think Perezhogin, or even Higgins, could step up this year and give us that missing element.
having one gamebreaker forward usually costs a lot of money (unless we're able to build one from own crop of youngsters), thus taking away from other areas of the team. with the cap, you're handicapped from giving one player a ridiculous contract (unless you're a moronic gm and doesn't understand the concept of fiscal responsibility). so the idea of depth is much more important in today's NHL. Having one line of all-stars and a bunch of pluggers to fillup the rest of the team won't get you anywhere. it's all about balance now, if you looked at the 4 teams that made the conference finals...you'll notice how they all had depth in atleast the top 3 lines (sabres had 4 good line).

yah, it would be nice to have a guy like gaborik in the habs. But that would cost kovalev and ryder (for example)...and as good as gaborik is his production (along with a cheap rookie) won't be greater than the production of the aforementioned two.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:44 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
-Lack of true 1st pairing. Yes, Markov is a 1st pairing dman but Souray, Rivet and Komisarek arent. We need another 1st pairing dman to be considered as contender.
Carolina didn't have a 1st pairing on defense either. Their defense was full of 3rd to 5th dmen.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:00 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail View Post
Carolina didn't have a 1st pairing on defense either. Their defense was full of 3rd to 5th dmen.
Tampa Bay, Colorado, Detroit, New Jersey and Dallas have one though

Old
08-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Kirk Muller*

A underrated weakness is that the Canadiens remain one of the most heartless and lazy teams in the NHL. This has been a weakness for many years, and was shown again in last year's playoffs when the team gave up after Koivu left.

We have too many players who simply don't show up, quite frequently: Kovalev, Ryder, Ribeiro, Souray, Rivet, Bonk, Dandenault.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:15 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
A underrated weakness is that the Canadiens remain one of the most heartless and lazy teams in the NHL. This has been a weakness for many years, and was shown again in last year's playoffs when the team gave up after Koivu left.

We have too many players who simply don't show up, quite frequently: Kovalev, Ryder, Ribeiro, Souray, Rivet, Bonk, Dandenault.
WAHH ? Souray, Rivet, Dandenault ? Your on drugs or what ?

Old
08-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
WAHH ? Souray, Rivet, Dandenault ? Your on drugs or what ?
No. This team has many players who simply don't show up. Those three are among them.

Old
08-12-2006, 05:21 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
No. This team has many players who simply don't show up. Those three are among them.
U must be kidding right ? Especially in Rivet & Souray case.. those two play their *** out every single shift..they work hard, and if we find them in bad situation that becuz of their lacks of talent and/or speed.. no becuz they're lazy or becuz they dont showup.. no ****** way

Old
08-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Greatguru

Don't forget that we have a lot of our good player that had trouble in the pas with injuries ( Koivu, Samsonov, Kovalev,Markov etc..) It will be a miracle if none of them get injured. But thanks to our depth it might not hurt much.

I don't agree for Rivet and Souray of being lazy. These guyz want their their team to win and they give waht they have to do so. Don't mix not working hard and sometimes making big errors.

Greatguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
U must be kidding right ? Especially in Rivet & Souray case.. those two play their *** out every single shift..they work hard, and if we find them in bad situation that becuz of their lacks of talent and/or speed.. no becuz they're lazy or becuz they dont showup.. no ****** way
Souray simply wasn't there in the first half of the season. And I'm not just saying that because of the Spezza goal. He was completely unreliable and played quite badly for the first few months. Rivet gave us a good year overall, but has been quite unreliable defensively and not consistent physically in the past. I hope he's turned the corner, but I'm not enamoured with him.

Old
08-12-2006, 05:29 PM
znk

Quote:

Souray and Rivet ? *** are you smoking?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quite original to use the "you are on drugs" comment.

Okay, we might disagree about Rivet and Souray. But my point still remains. The Canadiens are one of the least hard working teams in the NHL imo. There are so many nights when the team just doesn't show up. Witness for instance the horrendous streak last winter and the playoffs. There's no point looking for excuses, it was squarely because the team didn't care and didn't have the heart to work hard enough.

Old
08-12-2006, 05:43 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Tampa Bay, Colorado, Detroit, New Jersey and Dallas have one though
Tampa Bay's best dmen are suspect. Boyle isn't bad offensively but he's seriously lacking on defense. I'm not a big fan of Kuba either.

For New Jersey, they have Rafalski and White as their top two? That's not good...

As to Colorado, their top 2 is Liles/Leopold. This is really weak defensively.

I'd rather have Markov-Rivet or Markov-Souray than these duos.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:46 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail View Post
Tampa Bay's best dmen are suspect. Boyle isn't bad offensively but he's seriously lacking on defense. I'm not a big fan of Kuba either.

For New Jersey, they have Rafalski and White as their top two? That's not good...

As to Colorado, their top 2 is Liles/Leopold. This is really weak defensively.

I'd rather have Markov-Rivet or Markov-Souray than these duos.
i think he was referring to the years when they won cup

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:49 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Quite original to use the "you are on drugs" comment.

Okay, we might disagree about Rivet and Souray. But my point still remains. The Canadiens are one of the least hard working teams in the NHL imo. There are so many nights when the team just doesn't show up. Witness for instance the horrendous streak last winter and the playoffs. There's no point looking for excuses, it was squarely because the team didn't care and didn't have the heart to work hard enough.
exepted one game , the team played very hard during the playoffs ! you forget that we were dominating the Canes , and that they won againts us , just because of the play of Ward .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
well, and our lack of Koivu.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:53 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Interesting. Agree with yours, also:

Strength
-Lots of depth at forward. Tough finding spots for everyone.
-The PP. We were 5th last season and with Sammy we may improve on that. We'll have two very potent PP lines. (Although we have to score on more 5 on 3's)

Weakness
-Lack of depth on D. A couple of injuries on the blue line and we'll be in serious trouble.
-Lack of talent on D. Overall, we have a solid group, but individually very mediocre in the skills department, escpecially offensive.
-The PK. 21st last year and very inconsistent. With Carbo around from the start, one would think there will be big improvements in this regard.
good analyse .

A good d-man and a first center would be ideal ( so we could put Kaptain Saku in a role with less responsabilities ) .

We still are small and have a lot of injury prone players

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
exepted one game , the team played very hard during the playoffs ! you forget that we were dominating the Canes , and that they won againts us , just because of the play of Ward .
A player on his own can't defeat a team if it's playing hard. There was a marked decrease in effort and intensity after Koivu's eye was struck.

Old
08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
The Habs are not a hard working team? I was under the impression they where known as a fast skating and hard working team. Rivet not reliable on defence? Dude he is a defensive defenceman and does it very well.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
The Habs are not a hard working team? I was under the impression they where known as a fast skating and hard working team. Rivet not reliable on defence? Dude he is a defensive defenceman and does it very well.
Last year was the first year where he did it consistently for the whole year. It was about time.

Maybe the Habs are known as a plucky team that can grind its way to victories despite size and talent shortages, but overall, they are not particularly hardworking, and have not been in the past. For instance, look at the main forward lines from last year. I would say that 5 of the top 6 were prone to taking nights off.
Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder