HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homer Lavy bye/bye

Old
03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
And Ron Hextall is Lombardi's right hand man and has been very involved in developing the players for the parent club. He 's learned from DL about how to draft right, keep a rich farm system stocked with assets for both the parent club or to trade. THey got Richards because of Schenn, they have several top prospects that they can use this year to fill the need of a top D (2 key D's down all year to injury) and a top 6 LW for the 2nd line. And having 9 picks in this years draft means he's got those to throw in as well.
I've heard Hextall interviewed and he's a very smart guy, very schooled in what it takes to create a winning environment.
Even the fact he made sure the Monarchs (AHL) have the same system as the Kings, so when you have to bring up a player, esp in the middle of a season due to injury, it's a seamless transition. ONe of the first things Darryl Sutter did after he became coach was to go to see some Monarchs games and he identified something the Kings needed size on wing. So he brought up the two biggest wingers King and Nolan both over 6'3 and 230 lbs and bring them up. They fit in right away and were both key elements in the Cup run. Seamless transition

And the fans still have enough love for Hexy that if chosen, he'd be welcomed. But the problem remains that Ed Snider would have to buy into a rebuild philosophy and have to give this team time to grow. THat's an issue.

But with his FLyers background (my fav Hexy moment is the hit on Chelios) talent he's shown in management and that Lombardi gave Hexy a lot of freedom to develop the Monarchs and make sure they kept the farm well stocked with talent, he's learned how to work the Cap, he's all about the 'building a winning culture' mentality, he's learned a lot and would be a good fit should they decide to replace the GM.
Also would keep LA as a good trading partner.
Don't give Lombardi too much credit. He went from being fired to supreme deity in 8 weeks. He also didn't draft Quick, Kopitar, or Brown. Most of the guys he's tried to develop have gone on to better things elsewhere. He was a better trader, but one thing is that there seems to be a better emphasis on defensemen. Voynov and Martinez are both excellent players. But you could say that anywhere.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
For those still bashing Homer, I suppose Luke Schenn just fell out of the sky and into our lap.

Grossman did for that matter too.
Except they are overrated and a reason for the Flyers struggles. The Flyers need puckmovers not immobile coke machines.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:05 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Except they are overrated and a reason for the Flyers struggles. The Flyers need puckmovers not immobile coke machines.
Idk about that. Schenn is still very young and has taken a step forward from his play the last couple seasons in Toronto. He's a good piece to hold onto and add to. Grossmann is a solid top 4 defenseman if you have complimentary pieces that can move the puck for them on their pairings, they'd be fine pieces on our defense... The problem is we don't have those pieces.

Coburns offensive game is now nonexistent, Timonen is 38 years old and slowing down completely, and Meszaros is so broken that he can't even get his head in the game enough to fix his awful play. Gervais is a 7th defenseman at best, Foster should not be in the NHL, and Gustafsson is too weak both physically and on the puck to be effective at this level... I think both Schenn and Grossmann are keepers, get the rest of them out of here and rebuild the D.

Trade Couturier and a 2nd for Gormley and a 1st. Trade Coburn for a 1st, play gus and manning and tank for jones, then buyout Meszaros.
Draft jones, Another defenseman (Nurse, Pulock, Zadorov etc.) and a winger (anthony mantha?)

Timonen-Jones
Gormley-Grossmann
Schenn-UFA (smid?)

Last edited by orange is better: 03-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Like I said earlier, what do you want Homer to say?

There were two options. Let Bob grow or go out and spend big bucks to bring in a so called "franchise" guy.

After the end of 2011 merry-go-round upper management and the fanbase demanded something be done. He went and did it.

I don't fault him for feeling the pressure to make a huge move.

The biggest thing now is to correct the mistake.

When all said and done that will force me to decided if Homer should stay.
I'll fault him. A good GM shouldn't bow to fan pressure. It's part of the reason Toronto was a complete morass for ages. It's part of the reason Montreal hamstrings themselves by hiring francophones.

Homer has completely blown what, 3 straight offseasons? in 2012 he completely whiffed on everyone. In 2011 he and Snider gave a horrific contract to a goalie who has fallen flat on his face. In 2010 all he needed was an improvement on Kraijcek/Whoever (not exactly difficult to do) and an improvement on Leighton (not difficult at all) and instead we get Shelley and Gagne is traded for practically nothing...we didn't even get that much cap space since we took Walker back. The 2010 offseason was a comedy of errors, and it was clearly a disaster even as it was unfolding.

On top of that you have the continuing inability to develop defensemen, the continued lack of patience with players, the empty prospect pool (Oh yay, Laughton and maybe Cousins, maybe Gus, and Ghost is still a ways off), and the albatross living in crease. Homer has done a LOT to deserve criticism. Yes, he has made good deals. The Grossmann deal was a very good one...probably his last good one. I'm still undecided on the Schenn trade, but I'm optimistic since the naysaying Leafs fans have mostly been wrong about him and he's young.

However, there are still bad habits he's continuing. He bought time by resetting the cap and age clock with the Richards and Carter trades, but that won't last forever. Eventually, we will need to start signing that forward talent to new contracts. The only way we can afford it now all are the ELCs and RFA contracts many of them hold. The organization's inability to develop home grown, cheap defensive talent has given us an extraordinarily expensive D corps; Last I checked (in the offseason), it was the most expensive in the league and came in at close to twice the average cap value of other NHL teams. That's a huge amount of cap space tied up in a defense that is certainly not the best in the league; eventually, I'll get the chance to go over those numbers again...hopefully things have improved. When it comes time to start keeping our offense, we're going to be in trouble yet again, because there won't be a lot of money to keep them all, and a big part of that is the overpriced D that is a necessity because we don't have D prospects. We don't have many worthwhile offensive prospects either, so the situation will only get aggravated when we have to sign more expensive vets to fill holes because there aren't many other reliable players. We'll be in another situation where someone important to the team will need to be shipped out because there isn't really any other choice. That's all the fault of Holmgren, because it's how he's set things up. No team following that model has won any Cups in the cap era.

There's another disaster looming on the horizon for this team. The big trades in 2011 only delayed it. Now it's time for Homer to get a handle on the situation. Can he do it? I don't know. Chances are good Briere and Timonen's cap hits will immediately be filled by pricey vets past their best years, and nothing will change. Chances are we'll keep failing to grow players from within and will need to trade to get more. I guess time will tell, but the record up until now doesn't fill me with lots of hope.

03-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Rolex

Every GM has some clunkers in their closet and Holmgren has his. However when the boss says get rid of Carter and Richards and sign Bryzgalov, his hands are tied. If Holmgren has a bad spot on his resume that stands out, it is keeping Laviolette around here during this season. Then again, that may have been an upper management decision.
Holmgren has amassed quite a bit of talent up front for the franchise. Right now some of it may have been misused. On the blueline, he has brought in Meszaros, who up until this season and the injuries, has been a good player. Grossman may be the best blue lines that we have. Where would the year have been without Schenn? These are three very good ads.
The problem for the Flyers lies behind the bench and in the net. That Holmgren should have removed a month ago. New coach, new goaltender, new system, players in new positions (Couturier on the wing with G?) and good things could happen rather quickly. Lets not forget that there will be a ton of talent available after the season as teams adjust their roster for the new cap number. Buying out Briere and Bryz and Pronger continuing on LTIR frees up a lot of cash. That could be a great opportunity for the Flyers to add what they need to the roster.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Holmgren has a well established history of keeping people too long. Stevens, now Reese, probably Lavi (since he created a team not suited for his coach; he ought to know his coach's abilities better), and Hanrahan. I can't wait to see what sort of CBA adventures we're in for with the new CBA and that guy still around.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Holmgren has a well established history of keeping people too long. Stevens, now Reese, probably Lavi (since he created a team not suited for his coach; he ought to know his coach's abilities better), and Hanrahan. I can't wait to see what sort of CBA adventures we're in for with the new CBA and that guy still around.
Reese seriously needs to go. I seriously don't understand what this organization sees in him. Last offseason was it for me with him. How many goalie coaches would prefer working with Michael Leighton over a young kid like Bobrovsky.
I really dont want to know what those LTIR cap overage penalties are that capgeek tweeted awhile ago. If they involve draft picks then Holmgren seriously needs to be fired.
I am not a cap expert. I am not sure if anyone around here is. I would like to know where we are with that right now because I dont know if Holmgren is going to lose salary at the deadline. Hell he might add and do something dumb like trade for Brent Burns who makes Carle look like Lidstrom.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

No matter what the LTIR penalty is, the team likely can't afford it. This is the wrong season to lose any draft picks, and if it's a cap penalty they can't afford that either.

Speaking of which, what LTIR penalty ? I saw the "LTIR" thingy on Capgeek earlier today but didn't see any explanation. Since we're the only team with that tag I assumed it was something bad and decided I didn't want to deal with it. I'm not seeing anything immediately apparent on CG or their twitter account.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
No matter what the LTIR penalty is, the team likely can't afford it. This is the wrong season to lose any draft picks, and if it's a cap penalty they can't afford that either.

Speaking of which, what LTIR penalty ? I saw the "LTIR" thingy on Capgeek earlier today but didn't see any explanation. Since we're the only team with that tag I assumed it was something bad and decided I didn't want to deal with it. I'm not seeing anything immediately apparent on CG or their twitter account.
Of course some believe draft picks are overrated so I am sure it wouldn't bother some.

there is this at capgeek as well shows who's been on LTIR and other stuff

http://www.capgeek.com/flyers/tracker

Old
03-28-2013, 06:13 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I am not sure exactly what penalties you are talking about. What did CapGeek say? On their page it says this on the FAQ page of the New CBA:

Quote:
LONG-TERM INJURED RESERVE

Long-term injured reserve remains unchanged in the new CBA.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Reduxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
You do realize that a team needs defensive defensemen too right? Go look at all of the championship teams from the past couple of years; not everyone is a puck mover on the back end. Luke and Grossmann have both been good overall for this team. It's Gervais, Foster, Meszy and Coby (having a bad season) at fault on the backend, and the lack of backchecking by the forwards.

Reduxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I am not sure exactly what penalties you are talking about. What did CapGeek say? On their page it says this on the FAQ page of the New CBA:
i thought they tweeted something about it once the Flyers crossed into LTIR territory. Maybe I am mistaken or misread it.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
They haven't been clear about it at all.

Maybe it's because we're the only team that's actually used LTIR to go over the cap?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Curufinwe

Can someone explain why the Flyers only ever try to break out along the wall when the other teams know that's how they play, and attack them along the boards? Is it really beyond Laviolette to try something different when game after game his team struggle to clear the zone and get into the neutral zone with any sort of momentum?

The Rangers and Devils in particular really strangle the life out of us in our own zone.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Can someone explain why the Flyers only ever try to break out along the wall when the other teams know that's how they play, and attack them along the boards? Is it really beyond Laviolette to try something different when game after game his team struggle to clear the zone and get into the neutral zone with any sort of momentum?

The Rangers and Devils in particular really strangle the life out of us in our own zone.
I have no idea. The forwards never support each other, either. So it's the puck carrier versus the whole opposition.

I'm tired of watching the D give the puck to some forward, then watching that forward skate up the boards into 2-3 defenders. It happens a whole lot. The breakout scheme is awful.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
I have no idea. The forwards never support each other, either. So it's the puck carrier versus the whole opposition.

I'm tired of watching the D give the puck to some forward, then watching that forward skate up the boards into 2-3 defenders. It happens a whole lot. The breakout scheme is awful.
Pretty much this. The offense is predictable as hell. Especially 5 on 5. And people wonder why the Flyers suck 5 on 5.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Pretty much this. The offense is predictable as hell. Especially 5 on 5. And people wonder why the Flyers suck 5 on 5.
It's like they never review game tape. How can they possibly watch over 2 dozen games of this crap and never think "hey, let's try something different."?

Old
03-28-2013, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
It's like they never review game tape. How can they possibly watch over 2 dozen games of this crap and never think "hey, let's try something different."?
they are probably thinking well we will just wait to get a PP to get us back in the hockey game.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
they are probably thinking well we will just wait to get a PP to get us back in the hockey game.
Exactly....teams that can maintain discipline and tightly check like the Rangers have a field day with the Flyers 5 on 5 since the Flyers are so inept in the neutral zone transition game and even in their own zone if they get hemmed in since our D men are not fleet of foot and have to rely on chip shots into the neutral zone to the forwards who if they can even control the puck then have to dump it in and attack which they don't even feel like doing anymore (huge run on sentence..I know)

Totally dysfunctional system right now and lots of it has to do with lack of personnel thanks to Holmgren ..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:59 AM
SilkyMitts

after putting Simmonds in with the game on the line during the shootout last night, im ready to say bye to Lavy.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Curufinwe

Simmonds does have a better shootout percentage than Gagne or Voracek, although you wonder how given how bad his shot last night was.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:33 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Simmonds does have a better shootout percentage than Gagne or Voracek, although you wonder how given how bad his shot last night was.
simmonds has absolutely no hands or offensive creativity. he is a crash and bang player, he doesnt belong on a shootout. and the coach should know that

Old
03-29-2013, 09:37 AM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
simmonds has absolutely no hands or offensive creativity. he is a crash and bang player, he doesnt belong on a shootout. and the coach should know that
actually.. he's had some pretty sick shootout goals in the past (including preseason)..

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:58 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
actually.. he's had some pretty sick shootout goals in the past (including preseason)..
just scoured Youtube for these sick shootout goals and didnt find anything. id love to see them

Old
03-29-2013, 10:23 AM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
just scoured Youtube for these sick shootout goals and didnt find anything. id love to see them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtXXAc7EXB0

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote