HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread II (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
With Atkinson, Calvert, Tynan, and JAM I would be a bit miffed if we selected 5'9" Max Domi. We are full up on tiny forwards.
From what I've read, Domi is short, but far from tiny. He's around 195 lbs, with a very powerful, low center of gravity. Height is an advantage in some sports and, perhaps, some positions in hockey; but is forward one of them? Might it not be analogous to running back in football? I'm asking.

Edit: I've also seen him listed as light as 180 lbs., does that make "tiny" more accurate? Anyone have a recent, trustworthy weight?

Old
03-27-2013, 05:14 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
From what I've read, Domi is short, but far from tiny. He's around 195 lbs, with a very powerful, low center of gravity. Height is an advantage in some sports and, perhaps, some positions in hockey; but is forward one of them? Might it not be analogous to running back in football? I'm asking.

Edit: I've also seen him listed as light as 180 lbs., does that make "tiny" more accurate? Anyone have a recent, trustworthy weight?
Excellent post. Max Domi to me is built like Crosby or continuing your football analogy Ray Rice. There is a significant difference between a "small guy" and a "short guy".

Old
03-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Great insight here by Mike Lombardi of the Browns when he was with NFL Network. He is speaking about Bill Walsh's draft philosophy. The same holds true in any draft, including the NHL

"Walsh would remind everyone in the room that the draft only needed enough depth for his team to acquire 12 good players. Satisfying every team was not his concern. All he cared about was finding talent for his own team. Therefore, the depth of talent in each draft was not irrelevant."

That is the attitude Jarmo and our scouts need to have. We only need to worry about finding seven or so good players for our team. They can be found in any round. The key is to find them. That is the job of Jarmo and the scouts.

Hence, while it may be important to have a high draft pick, you can blow that pick really easy. More important is to find the good player at the time you are making your draft pick

Old
03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Great insight here by Mike Lombardi of the Browns when he was with NFL Network. He is speaking about Bill Walsh's draft philosophy. The same holds true in any draft, including the NHL

"Walsh would remind everyone in the room that the draft only needed enough depth for his team to acquire 12 good players. Satisfying every team was not his concern. All he cared about was finding talent for his own team. Therefore, the depth of talent in each draft was not irrelevant."

That is the attitude Jarmo and our scouts need to have. We only need to worry about finding seven or so good players for our team. They can be found in any round. The key is to find them. That is the job of Jarmo and the scouts.

Hence, while it may be important to have a high draft pick, you can blow that pick really easy. More important is to find the good player at the time you are making your draft pick
True, but the higher you pick the better chance you have of getting a good player, IMO. Also, the higher you draft the less teams there are in front of you to pick the player you want. The best chance you have of getting your number 1 player is picking first . Obviously, you still have to make the right pick, so scouting is the most important, but draft postion does matter. If you figure team's list is the same if you draft 10th or 1st, then you have the best chance of getting the player you want at #1. Your draft position won't change who you want. It will just give you a better/worse chance of getting that player.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Interesting that Mike Lombardi would say something like that while his entire career was built around doing exactly the opposite.

Maybe that's why he sucks.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Interesting that Mike Lombardi would say something like that while his entire career was built around doing exactly the opposite.

Maybe that's why he sucks.
Lombardi didn't make the statement, Bill Walsh did. He quotes Walsh. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Bill Walsh made the statement. What Walsh says is informative. As for Lombardi, that is another matter for another thread

Old
03-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Who are you thinking of? I think of younger brothers as feistier, as they have to really want it to play 10 years of ball hockey with a bigger brother. But then the older brothers get 10 years of practice against a slightly inferior opponent, which is very good for developing skills and talent.
Quote:
Notorious younger brother floaters include Fedor Fedorov, Marcel Hossa, Mike Comrie, Rob Niedermayer, Sergei Kostitsyn, and Alexander Radulov.
You guys ever hear of David Toews? I have, but I also know someone who used to live with him, which may be why

Bloodlines aren't as important as many people give sway to. Yes, there are rare instances where kids become stars after dad/brother/cousin/uncle, etc ... but there are clearly instances of huge failure, also. Yes, you have Bobby Hull's "chubby little kid" Bret, who went on to become one of the greatest goal scorers of all-time. You also have Clark Gillies' nephew Colton, who can barely find his way into the sad, injury depleted lineup of the Blue Jackets.

I can honestly say that Max Domi is two things: Built and plays the game like his dad, and also far more talented. He's an intriguing player, but I fear that he'll turn out a lot like Gilbert Brule. His upside is about the same, so if he does develop properly, then he could be a first line player.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
cslebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
You guys ever hear of David Toews? I have, but I also know someone who used to live with him, which may be why
Ahhhhh the Idaho Steelheads

Yeah nothing like his brother

Old
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Xoggz22

The team to watch going forward - and not for good reasons - is Dallas. Their schedule is brutal (If I counted correctly they only have 2 games against teams below the playoff line). They may not get any more than 5-6 points the rest of the way. I don't see Florida improving to the point of catching Columbus and with Calgary blowing it up and Colorado sucking it could be no better than 5th for the CBJ if they were to collapse. I think they have some left in the tank so I'm thinking in the 8-10 range....

This last stretch will be very interesting. I do feel we'll get our 3rd and probably another 3rd or 4th by moving Letestu and Aucoin. Seems they would be the most likely to go. Beyond that, very little movement on this team at the deadline which means any draft impact is likely to come.... at the draft. That's where the other options could be moved.

I'm still holding out for a draft of:

1) Lindholm, Nichushkin, Mantha.... or
2) Monahan, Shinkaruk, Lazar.... or
3) Shinkaruk, Zadarov, Gauthier.... or

Oh you get the point, there are a lot of options with our 3 picks but I truly am hoping for something like option #1 above. In my world that's a potential grand slam.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:18 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
The team to watch going forward - and not for good reasons - is Dallas. Their schedule is brutal (If I counted correctly they only have 2 games against teams below the playoff line). They may not get any more than 5-6 points the rest of the way. I don't see Florida improving to the point of catching Columbus and with Calgary blowing it up and Colorado sucking it could be no better than 5th for the CBJ if they were to collapse. I think they have some left in the tank so I'm thinking in the 8-10 range....

This last stretch will be very interesting. I do feel we'll get our 3rd and probably another 3rd or 4th by moving Letestu and Aucoin. Seems they would be the most likely to go. Beyond that, very little movement on this team at the deadline which means any draft impact is likely to come.... at the draft. That's where the other options could be moved.

Oh you get the point, there are a lot of options with our 3 picks but I truly am hoping for something like option #1 above. In my world that's a potential grand slam.
I'm with you in greatly favoring the first trio. We already have a bunch of guys like Monahan and Lazar.

As for our positioning, I refuse to focus on the 8-10 slots. We still, in my cup-addled mind, have a 25ish% chance of making the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post

With the amount of road games facing the CBJ and tough games at home against playoff teams (Blues, Sharks, Ducks, etc) I think a top 4 pick is well within reach still. There is still 1/3 of the season left to be played afterall.

However, FLA does appear to be locked into the 1 slot. They are just so far ahead of the pack. Or behind. Which ever it is....I'm still surprised Colorado is still dead last in the West. Seem to be a talented team that could put wins together down the stretch.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
With the amount of road games facing the CBJ and tough games at home against playoff teams (Blues, Sharks, Ducks, etc) I think a top 4 pick is well within reach still. There is still 1/3 of the season left to be played afterall.

However, FLA does appear to be locked into the 1 slot. They are just so far ahead of the pack. Or behind. Which ever it is....I'm still surprised Colorado is still dead last in the West. Seem to be a talented team that could put wins together down the stretch.
They are. D just sucks. You know it when Matt Hunwick leads your time in ice time.

And Joe Sacco is the coach. Though he was voted as the best coach in NHL by hf.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:55 PM
InjuredChoker

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 3 min
#CBJ POHOP John Davidson and GM Jarmo Kekalainen spent last few days scouting WHL playoffs b/w Kootenay and Edmonton; joining #CBJ tonight.

Lazar, eh?

Old
03-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I'm with you in greatly favoring the first trio. We already have a bunch of guys like Monahan and Lazar.
Who are those "bunch of guys?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
#CBJ POHOP John Davidson and GM Jarmo Kekalainen spent last few days scouting WHL playoffs b/w Kootenay and Edmonton; joining #CBJ tonight.

Lazar, eh?
Could be Lazar. There are some guys that could be later round picks from either team also. They didn't see much of a game

Old
03-28-2013, 10:20 PM
major major

Quote:
Who are those "bunch of guys?"
Skilled two-way guys with lots of intangibles who produce at a middle-six pace. That's half our forwards. Of course, both Lazar and Monahan could be better than that, but if your primary focus is top line scorers, you won't be picking those two.

Edit: Since those two guys are centers, it doesn't really make sense to compare their contributions to our wingers. I skew big-time towards centers. I still don't know if they'd do a whole lot that guys like Dubinsky and Anisimov don't.

Last edited by major major: 03-28-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Skilled two-way guys with lots of intangibles who produce at a middle-six pace. That's half our forwards. Of course, both Lazar and Monahan could be better than that, but if your primary focus is top line scorers, you won't be picking those two.
Can't disagree with that - but beware, this draft is full of guys like that, and we will most likely end up with at least one of those guys in the first two rounds.

By the time they've developed and are ready, it's likely that we won't be so heavy on that type of player anymore anyhow. Time will tell.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:22 PM
major major

Quote:
By the time they've developed and are ready, it's likely that we won't be so heavy on that type of player anymore anyhow. Time will tell.
True. Team need doesn't usually stay the same for more than five years at a time.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Lombardi didn't make the statement, Bill Walsh did. He quotes Walsh. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Bill Walsh made the statement. What Walsh says is informative. As for Lombardi, that is another matter for another thread
No, I understand. My point is that Walsh said something and Lombardi quoted it, but Lombardi's entire career has been the opposite.

It would be like me signing my posts by saying "brevity is the soul of wit".

Old
03-29-2013, 08:33 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No, I understand. My point is that Walsh said something and Lombardi quoted it, but Lombardi's entire career has been the opposite.

It would be like me signing my posts by saying "brevity is the soul of wit".
True, we all know that the soul of wit is fart jokes.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:43 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post

Lazar, eh?
I was thinking underage scouting of Reinhart

Old
03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I was thinking underage scouting of Reinhart
I don't think this team will be that bad next year .

Old
03-29-2013, 10:49 AM
grindline

The longer the season goes on, the more convinced I am that the Rangers are going to miss the play-offs. Aside from draft lottery shenanigans, I wouldn't be surprised to wind up with picks at 7, 14 and somewhere in the mid 20's. To me that leaves a lot of room for picking up guys who end up with a surprisingly high up-side.

So if I can throw some hypothetical situations out there I would be interested to see what people think is better.

option 1: pick at 7, 14 and 24
option 2: trade up using pick 24 as bait to pick at 5 and 14
option 3: trade up using pick 24 as bait to pick at 7 and 10

Old
03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
That is the key and one of the reasons you should almost always draft BPA. You never know what your needs will be by the time your draft picks are ready to play in the NHL.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindline View Post
The longer the season goes on, the more convinced I am that the Rangers are going to miss the play-offs. Aside from draft lottery shenanigans, I wouldn't be surprised to wind up with picks at 7, 14 and somewhere in the mid 20's. To me that leaves a lot of room for picking up guys who end up with a surprisingly high up-side.

So if I can throw some hypothetical situations out there I would be interested to see what people think is better.

I have a hunch we'll do what you suggest and move our last 1st round pick to upgrade one of the early picks. Of course, we could get lucky (for a change) and rock the lottery ending up with a pair of top 10 picks and LA's late first rounder.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:08 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindline View Post

Option 1. The only reason I would use one of our firsts to move up is to get in the top 4 (unless one of the top 4 doesn't go in the top 4).

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 03-29-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Closed Thread