HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Maybe the Spits could get that stud Jacob Jammes from the Knights for Kerby....

I really believe the biggest way Kerby could help Windsor is to allow himself to get traded and restock the draft pick cupboard. Ryan Ellis was willing to do that but it wasn't in the cards.
Gotta agree BUT timing is everything. The Spits will drag out the dismantling as long as possible so that the ..Season tickets get sold to the max before the fans catch wind of the rebuild.

Don't know about the rest of you but I always look forward to the build up to the OHL Draft [hate the term priority selection]. This year,however, we have nothing to look forward to at all thanks to 'Wee Davie'. It's difficult to look at some of the good players out there knowing your team has no chance in hell of getting a couple of them.

Hopefully someone with a insiders view can shed a bit of sunlight on the draft.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:38 PM
OHLTG

Maybe it's because I'm using it as motivation for work, but I'm looking at this draft completely differently than most drafts - in a good way.

This is WR's chance to be creative, to show what he can do given he has little to work with. Does he pull off a deal or four to get into the second? Does he make a deal with London? There are plenty of possibilities.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:02 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Maybe it's because I'm using it as motivation for work, but I'm looking at this draft completely differently than most drafts - in a good way.

This is WR's chance to be creative, to show what he can do given he has little to work with. Does he pull off a deal or four to get into the second? Does he make a deal with London? There are plenty of possibilities.
OHLTG you should be a motivational speaker. You've given me a straw to clutch at for the next few days. Sorta like buying a lottery ticky ...you know the odds are not in your favor but it gives you a few days of what if dreams.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:23 AM
OHLTG

Haha, I have my moments. I got thinking about the draft last night (again, for work) and that's when I thought "this could turn to out to be a really fun draft, if it's done right." We'll see what he comes up with.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:53 AM
scokan

^^^whatever is in the kool-aid your drinking you should spread the wealth.
WR only hope is one of the high end kids holds out and WR makes a play for them
ala. Domi. Since all other teams no windsor position for this draft the price for moving into the second round maybe a little steeper than pass years..

Old
03-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
^^^whatever is in the kool-aid your drinking you should spread the wealth.
WR only hope is one of the high end kids holds out and WR makes a play for them
ala. Domi. Since all other teams no windsor position for this draft the price for moving into the second round maybe a little steeper than pass years..
Meh, would not want.

We need hungry kids looking for their shot, not entitled kids trying to call their spot.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:29 PM
OHLTG

It's not a matter of kool-aid, but just thinking outside the box for one draft.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:38 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Meh, would not want.

We need hungry kids looking for their shot, not entitled kids trying to call their spot.
wasnt suggesting that this is what they need to do, it was speculation in regards to OHLTG's positive stance for this upcoming draft..
but thanks for your input...

Old
04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quick note University of Denver coach George Gwozdecky has resigned. Spits draft pick Wil Butcher signed a LOI with Denver but maybe he has second thoughts. It's always different because some kids commit to a school, some kids commit to a coach. If he committed to Gwozdecky he may go elsewhere.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Quick note University of Denver coach George Gwozdecky has resigned. Spits draft pick Wil Butcher signed a LOI with Denver but maybe he has second thoughts. It's always different because some kids commit to a school, some kids commit to a coach. If he committed to Gwozdecky he may go elsewhere.
Butcher and Nick Schmaltz seem to be the only ones that might possibly consider the Spits when deciding where they might head next year. Allen and Barber are really long shots. If we could get one of the four it'd be like having a 1st round pick.
Maybe there's a long shot out there that I'm forgetting..........

Just watched WR interview on the Spits web page and he surely wasn't very optimistic about the upcoming draft.....

Old
04-01-2013, 02:26 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Butcher and Nick Schmaltz seem to be the only ones that might possibly consider the Spits when deciding where they might head next year. Allen and Barber are really long shots. If we could get one of the four it'd be like having a 1st round pick.
Maybe there's a long shot out there that I'm forgetting..........

Just watched WR interview on the Spits web page and he surely wasn't very optimistic about the upcoming draft.....
I hope Warren is serious about making changes like he said in the interview, unless it's just talk which seems to be a common theme the past 6 months.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:28 PM
punch1943

OHL trade Barrie - Niagara Falls

OHL Trade.....Announced via In The Radio......

#Niagara deals 5th rnd 2013, 3rd in 2014, 2015 & 2016 to #Barrie for #Kitchener 3rd in 2013 and #Ottawa 3rd in 2013 #OHL

...movin on up.........

Old
04-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
I hope Warren is serious about making changes like he said in the interview, unless it's just talk which seems to be a common theme the past 6 months.
Well when he claims the import draft, the sanctions and the picks as simply "bad luck" I don't think one can expect anything to change.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Libbs

Bad luck? He's blaming bad luck?

It was ineptitude that caused the issues last year... stop making excuses Warren.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:51 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Bad luck? He's blaming bad luck?

It was ineptitude that caused the issues last year... stop making excuses Warren.
Ineptitude?....hell no..it was bad luck. Our bad luck that he was still GM after the poor decisions made in the last few years. It was bad luck that he got caught with his hands in the cookie jar.......

Old
04-01-2013, 06:10 PM
OHLTG

You have to admit, having Koekkoek, Sieloff, and Bateman all go down right after you deal Posa is a pretty impressive case of bad luck. That's four d-men that could have easily anchored us to the playoffs.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
You have to admit, having Koekkoek, Sieloff, and Bateman all go down right after you deal Posa is a pretty impressive case of bad luck. That's four d-men that could have easily anchored us to the playoffs.
The issue was that Saginaw played so well they played close to .700 hockey. Spits were already trailing Saginaw so the Spits would have had to play over .700 hockey to catch them. Instead of lamenting the injuries just give credit to Saginaw for getting it done. Too many excuses coming from WFCU Centre lately.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Pukhogg

Any rumors on who maybe getting traded?

Old
04-01-2013, 07:52 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
The issue was that Saginaw played so well they played close to .700 hockey. Spits were already trailing Saginaw so the Spits would have had to play over .700 hockey to catch them. Instead of lamenting the injuries just give credit to Saginaw for getting it done. Too many excuses coming from WFCU Centre lately.
If I've done my math right (probably not):

Saginaw went 14-13 after the deadline. Windsor went 12-17, including 2-5 in March. Saginaw's big time was January, going 6-1. They weren't that far apart post-deadline, so, I go back to my earlier comment - injuries played a big part, which is bad luck as much as anything.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Ineptitude?....hell no..it was bad luck. Our bad luck that he was still GM after the poor decisions made in the last few years. It was bad luck that he got caught with his hands in the cookie jar.......
It was bad luck that Kerby had to have special rules and did not play a team game at all.

Haven't read the interview yet but have been imagining Warren doing a play by play of the draft. (he won't have much else to do that day)

' We are coming up to the fifth pick in the first round. Bad luck kept us from having this pick. '

' Surprisingly, there are still a lot of skilled players still available here in the second round that would help us as we approach where our pick would have been if things would have fell out way. '

Old
04-01-2013, 08:15 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
If I've done my math right (probably not):

Saginaw went 14-13 after the deadline. Windsor went 12-17, including 2-5 in March. Saginaw's big time was January, going 6-1. They weren't that far apart post-deadline, so, I go back to my earlier comment - injuries played a big part, which is bad luck as much as anything.
There was a stretch where Saginaw went 9-2, that's not including the 2-0 back to back against Windsor and then they added another win after that. So right there is a stretch of 12-2 hockey. Saginaw had a playoff spot clinched with 5 games left so those final games meant nothing. Injuries hurt them but the poor Windsor play for the first 40-45 games is what killed them more than any injuries.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:41 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
Any rumors on who maybe getting traded?
From Tomorrows Star....

A league trade window opened Monday that allows clubs to trade and acquire draft picks, but no players can be dealt........

Old
04-01-2013, 10:50 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
There was a stretch where Saginaw went 9-2, that's not including the 2-0 back to back against Windsor and then they added another win after that. So right there is a stretch of 12-2 hockey. Saginaw had a playoff spot clinched with 5 games left so those final games meant nothing. Injuries hurt them but the poor Windsor play for the first 40-45 games is what killed them more than any injuries.
You add Koekkoek and Sieloff to the lineup, throw Vail up front, and you've got a very solid team. Sure, the first half didn't help, but the second half was just bad.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:09 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
You add Koekkoek and Sieloff to the lineup, throw Vail up front, and you've got a very solid team. Sure, the first half didn't help, but the second half was just bad.
Dave - they were never a solid team nor did they have a chance to be. They did too many things technically wrong, things you have to do to have success.

They could not do a simple breakout. It usually took two or three tries to get the puck out and when they did it was not with possession or speed.

They could not get all players to play in their own zone. Even many of the ones that made it back were all over the ice instead of covering a man or an area.

As a team, they could not complete a pass. I saw players within five feet of a teammate miss him by 3 feet with a pass.

They must have lead the league in short handed goals allowed and in too many men penalties.

Too many players played like they were playing rugby. Carry the puck until they couldn't go anymore than try to do something then.

I saw a team that, after hearing from the coaches how bad the goaltending was, not go onto the ice to meet their goalie after losses.

I could think of many more but I am tired and Lizard Lick towing is on.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
south of the border

110% correct analysis on all fronts. Night in and night out, same issues all season. Better results after trade deadline due to Koko and Aleardi, but no hiding the season long struggles with evrything you stated.

Closed Thread