HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Re-sign Latendresse

Old
03-26-2013, 03:08 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
Latendresse is popularly described as being out of shape, but Iíve also read where the team was happy with his commitment to being in shape. Iím not that connected to the rumour mill, so maybe my info is bad, but another possibility occurred to me.

If you pay attention to recent science results, youíll know that not every body responds to exercise to the same degree. That is for the same exercise performed, some will gain more muscle, more endurance, etc. Obviously most professional athletes are at the very upper edge of how much they respondóin general anyone who isnít wonít make it to the upper ranks. I wonder if Latendress isnít quite so blessed in this regard. Iíd think that with his size, hands, and hockey sense he might have been able to stay in the upper tier throughout his development, even if he couldnít seem to achieve the same fitness level as many of his team mates.

Iím not saying that this is the case, just speculating on the possibility. If it is so, youíd have to assume that he could still do somewhat better (think of Gary Robertís transformation from his extreme dedication), but that it is unlikely heíd ever achieve the speed and endurance of many of the other players. If his up side on speed and fitness were not far above what we see now, would that change how you felt about re-signing him?

(for my part, Iíd say our coaching staff is smart enough to work to playersí strengths and try to work around their weaknesses, so unless and until we can find another big body with soft hands who will get his goals within a few strides of the net but who has more all around game, I think having him in the line up adds another dimension to the team, and I trust the coaches to make use of it. But from a management perspective Iíd be looking for that upgrade)

Also: hello! long time reader, first time poster
Welcome aboard.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 1000
He's looked great since returning from injury but I'd like to see how he holds up for the last 15 games + playoffs before I'm ready to commit more money to this guy, especially if he wants a higher AAV than $2 million.

arglebargle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:45 AM
DrEasy
Allez Stephane !

vCash: 840
I know it may be coincidental, but here's our record when Latendresse plays: 10-1-3

Only one straight loss!

DrEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Chito

He's scored 25 goals in 2009-2010. That's when he played a lot of games. He's been injured ever since with all sorts of ailments. He's been playing well lately. I think what he will be doing in the playoffs will dictate how much or if the Sens are even going to resign him.

Chito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chito View Post
He's scored 25 goals in 2009-2010. That's when he played a lot of games. He's been injured ever since with all sorts of ailments. He's been playing well lately. I think what he will be doing in the playoffs will dictate how much or if the Sens are even going to resign him.
If by a lot of games you mean 55, then ya he played a lot of games.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Healfezza

Latendresse has plenty of skill out there to be a productive second liner in the league, but despite that I feel like we should not retain him.

So why do I feel this way? It mainly has to deal with the kind of player Latendresse is, that being a very puck minded individual who seems one mindedly concerned with filling the net. It is no secret we are building a two-way puck possession team and although I feel like Latendresse is an asset with the puck on his stick, I feel he doesn't fit the style of play MacLean is molding this team for.

If we retain him I will gladly welcome him onto the Senators but I feel like if we could find a different player with a better complimentary skillset to the team's system, even if less talented, we could have a better team as a whole.

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

If we're in 7 game series with the Habs...I'll be glad to have this guy in our lineup..

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:31 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Give him back to Minnesota....please

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
MoreGore

I am really liking what Latendress has done at least when he is healthy. I hope the Sens sign him to another short contract (health reasons).

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:56 AM
BigZKingK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Give him back to Minnesota....please
We fix him, We keep him

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:00 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Do we need Latendresse past this season if we have Hoffman who is NHL ready now or Stone who could be NHL ready next season? We will also have Noesen & Puempel possibly next season at some point or the following yr.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Do we need Latendresse past this season if we have Hoffman who is NHL ready now or Stone who could be NHL ready next season? We will also have Noesen & Puempel possibly next season at some point or the following yr.
prospects vs proven

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Have we been watching the same team? Lats has been pure gold playing with Zibanejad and Silfverberg...of course you re-sign him if he continues this form and stays healthy.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
michalek - spezza - ?
hoffman - turris - alfie
latendresse - zibby - silf
greening - smith - neil

there is room. hoffman, while one of my favourite prospects, hasn't shown he can stick around yet. it was just one nhl game (although he played very well in his game last season as well). i do hope he can show that he's ready to play in a scoring roll.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Capital O TEETEE 613
Sensored

vCash: 50
He fits in well, he scores goals, and he's still young.

Injuries are a concern.

If he keeps it up, and shows good in the playoffs, then we sign him no doubt.

Capital O TEETEE 613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:23 AM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Let Stone play instead.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:24 AM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
prospects vs proven
Latendresse is slow = proven

Old
03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
Let Stone play instead.
stone plays the other wing

u trollin'?

Old
03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
stone plays the other wing

u trollin'?
Better than 73. I am sure they can shuffle the lines. Guy is gone at the end of the year.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:39 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Better than 73. I am sure they can shuffle the lines. Guy is gone at the end of the year.
not yet he isn't. latendresse is perfect for that line. big and strong so he can get to the net and draw defenders away from zibby and silf to let them make some fancy plays, but also has the skill to make some plays himself. stone can do that, probably not as effectively right away, but he could get there with some time. the only problem is, stone has great vision, passing skills, and hockey i.q. i want to try him as someone that has the puck on his stick more often, because he can be really effective in that roll. if that doesn't work, it shouldn't be hard to transform him into latendresse 2.0 as we saw in the world juniors. so for now, we should keep latendresse.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:46 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Have we been watching the same team? Lats has been pure gold playing with Zibanejad and Silfverberg...of course you re-sign him if he continues this form and stays healthy.
Yes, every game & he is anything but gold. He has played well in the last few games with those two but he also has a history of going south quickly. He has had some crap games here in Ottawa this season too. I will wait until the end of the season & playoffs but I just think he is too slow for Maclean's system. And we have plenty of guys who go to the net who can also score with much more speed & speed kills in the NHL. I think we need to make room for our prospects who are coming & Latendresse & Condra could be on the way out. I think the problem with re-signing him will be the term, I don't know if Murray will re-sign him for more than a yr with so many good prospects & he may want more than a yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
clowe - spezza - michalek? - Nathan Horton could also be available July 1st
hoffman - turris - alfie
silf - zibby - JOB
greening - smith - neil

there is room. hoffman, while one of my favourite prospects, hasn't shown he can stick around yet. it was just one nhl game (although he played very well in his game last season as well). i do hope he can show that he's ready to play in a scoring roll.
Hoffman has played other NHL games & done well too.

Did you forget Condra & JOB or are they not on your team next season? JOB would be on mine & don't forget with the cap going down there could be one or two players made available July 1st that could help Ottawa next yr.

Last edited by aragorn: 03-29-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old
03-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Latendresse is slow = proven
Latendresse can score = proven

If he wants to stay, he's getting re-signed. For a team that's starved of offence, he's a good depth scorer.

Since coming back 9GP 5G 2A.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:51 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Did you forget Condra & JOB or are they not on your team next season?
forgot them. i'd love to keep condra in the line-up with o'brien as the extra.

greening - spezza - michalek
hoffman (or someone else if he doesn't stick) - turris - alfie
latendresse - zibby - silf
condra - smith - neil

re-unite the first line last year. i don't know who will slot into that spot on the line with turris, but i'm hoping hoffman can show he can stick. condra is on his off wing, but i think he'll be okay with it.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:03 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
I'd love to resign Lats for another year. Make a deal for Cammalleri and boom we have three solid scoring lines and a fourth line that is capable of putting up some offense as well:

Cammalleri - Spezza - Michalek
Greening/Hoffman - Turris - Alfredsson
Latendresse - Zibby - Silfverberg
Condra - Smith - Neil
Kassian

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:19 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Yes, every game & he is anything but gold. He has played well in the last few games with those two but he also has a history of going south quickly. He has had some crap games here in Ottawa this season too. I will wait until the end of the season & playoffs but I just think he is too slow for Maclean's system. And we have plenty of guys who go to the net who can also score with much more speed & speed kills in the NHL. I think we need to make room for our prospects who are coming & Latendresse & Condra could be on the way out. I think the problem with re-signing him will be the term, I don't know if Murray will re-sign him for more than a yr with so many good prospects & he may want more than a yr.

Hoffman has played other NHL games & done well too.

Did you forget Condra & JOB or are they not on your team next season? JOB would be on mine & don't forget with the cap going down there could be one or two players made available July 1st that could help Ottawa next yr.
We do?

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote