HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oliver Lauridsen (The Great Dane)

Old
03-29-2013, 10:45 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
make sure you post a bigger picture next time
Not that big on my screen, unless ofcourse I enlargen it

If you weren't being sarcastic, well then, ill try my best next time

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Been following him since the draft. A long range poject to say the least. No time like now to see what he can do. Good Luck my man you just never know until they get their feet wet.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

the great dane! always thought he could be one of those guys who's game could be elevated to the NHL level. Excited to see him play at least. He can't be any worse than Gervais or Foster. I might be a bit biased because i have 2 great danes...

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Primary Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea his skating (and acceleration) were VERY bad when he was drafted.
This explains why they were so interested in him when 29 other NHL teams saw a stiff. He is a typical "Flyer."

Primary Assist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:59 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I started the Great Dane on this board, it's true

Send him to every skating camp every off season for the next few years

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:11 AM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
This explains why they were so interested in him when 29 other NHL teams saw a stiff. He is a typical "Flyer."
Dude, he was a 7th rounder for Christ sake. If he doesn't pan out, it's not the end of the world.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:20 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Hopefully fans wait until he has a body of work in before calling for his head.

I love the kid. Can't wait to see how long it takes him to find his niche at this level.
C'mon bro, if he's not a HOFer after his first shift, he's a bum...you know how it is.

Players never change ever.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:20 AM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Alright you big son of a *****!

Let's see whatcha' got!

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:21 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
Not that big on my screen, unless ofcourse I enlargen it

If you weren't being sarcastic, well then, ill try my best next time
I think he means file size. Pic still hasn't opened on my phone.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:44 AM
CyborgLindros

He looked good in the AHL, at least when I saw him. Grossmann clone as others have said. Is he a top 6 D man in the NHL. Apparently he's going to have to be. More seriously though he should be fine, he didn't seem to be the fastest Phantom but I don't think his skating will be a problem.

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Always exciting with young guys playing their first game(s). Even if Lauridsen isn't a super prospect by any means, it'll be exciting to see what he can do.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Not taking a shot at the Big Dane here but I think this is a good confirmation that management gave up on this season.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Not taking a shot at the Big Dane here but I think this is a good confirmation that management gave up on this season.
Good. Now maybe Couturier can get some time playing with skill players instead of being stuck on the 4th line.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Good. Now maybe Couturier can get some time playing with skill players instead of being stuck on the 4th line.
Amen, brotha.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I like Lauridsen as a future 6/7. If he plays well, he might make Grossmann expendable if we shift back to Coburn and Schenn being our two top 4 shut-down defensemen.

That said, I don't see it. I hope he does well, but he's going to have to really impress.

Then again, even that doesn't guarantee anything.

Manning impressed, and now he's been terrible.

Bourdon impressed, and he's as glass as Meszaros.

Marshall impressed, but only for like two games.

Gustafsson impressed, and the organization decided that was a lie.

Ugh.

I just want some young NHL-quality defensemen in the pipe that stay healthy and the organization doesn't ruin. Then we can end this charade.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I like Lauridsen as a future 6/7. If he plays well, he might make Grossmann expendable if we shift back to Coburn and Schenn being our two top 4 shut-down defensemen.

That said, I don't see it. I hope he does well, but he's going to have to really impress.

Then again, even that doesn't guarantee anything.

Manning impressed, and now he's been terrible.

Bourdon impressed, and he's as glass as Meszaros.

Marshall impressed, but only for like two games.

Gustafsson impressed, and the organization decided that was a lie.

Ugh.

I just want some young NHL-quality defensemen in the pipe that stay healthy and the organization doesn't ruin. Then we can end this charade.
This mentality is exactly why we don't develop NHL defensemen. You act like all those defensemen are never gonna make it even though they are all in their low 20s. If a defensemen isn't playing great by the time he is 22 we seem to give up on him. Give some of those guys some time, and they may come around. One off year for Manning isn't the end of the world.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
This mentality is exactly why we don't develop NHL defensemen. You act like all those defensemen are never gonna make it even though they are all in their low 20s. If a defensemen isn't playing great by the time he is 22 we seem to give up on him. Give some of those guys some time, and they may come around. One off year for Manning isn't the end of the world.
I don't think that is the case. Just because a guy is young doesn't mean he is always going to get better. None of the aforementioned players have shown any real indication that they can be career NHLers.

Manning and Gus were undrafted free agents, no one really expected them to do anything. Just because they are young doesn't mean they'll get any better than they are now. I would understand if these guys were high ceiling players when acquired, but they were really just signed to fill spots in the AHL and hope they make the NHL. Gus is 24, based upon what he has shown at the AHL and NHL level, there is no real indication that he will be much better than he is now. Manning is younger, but he has shown even less than Gus. Again, I would understand if these guys had high ceilings when they were signed why you would be concerned about letting them develop, but when they were signed it was pretty much understood that this was where they would be unless the team got lucky. They didn't.

Bourdon I can see having more patience with. He has had some injury problem but has shown some promise. But he also has spent time in the ECHL because he wasn't playing well in the AHL.

Having patience is one thing. Sitting around waiting just because a guy is young completely different.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Oh, I'm well aware Manning and Gus are still legitimate NHL prospects.

But we do have some bad luck honestly. Part of that has to do with injuries and the other half of it is how wishy-washy the Flyers are with defensive development.

Remember how much Bourdon was struggling in the AHL? Then he got a call-up and performed well. What's to say Manning wouldn't do the same if he were called up now?

It's a lot of throwing things at the wall and very little consistency. Couple that with some poorly timed injuries to guys like Bourdon, and you see where things get even more convoluted.

The only reason I want someone like Jones is so that the organization will be forced to commit to him moving in one direction, regardless of what that direction is. Right now, there is no committed direction of development for guys like Bourdon, Gustafsson, Manning, and Lauridsen. That's not entirely the organization's fault since those guys really haven't helped themselves much either, but I'm hoping the organization steadies itself with Gostisbehere.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'm glad they took the long route of preparing Oliver. Obviously we don't know how he will turn out, but they drafted him, groomed him in the NCAA and AHL and now giving him a chance. Ya, he isnt the 20-21 yr old prospect defender that everyone knows, but leaving him to develop HOPEFULLY works and we can start doing that in the future. (even with players like Jones and Nurse if we get one of them)
Rob Scuderi didn't nail down an NHL job until age 27 (although, the second lockout held him up) after staying in college for 4 years. The curve tends to come a little bit older for defensemen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:56 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Quote:
Oh, I'm well aware Manning and Gus are still legitimate NHL prospects.

But we do have some bad luck honestly. Part of that has to do with injuries and the other half of it is how wishy-washy the Flyers are with defensive development.

Remember how much Bourdon was struggling in the AHL? Then he got a call-up and performed well. What's to say Manning wouldn't do the same if he were called up now?

It's a lot of throwing things at the wall and very little consistency. Couple that with some poorly timed injuries to guys like Bourdon, and you see where things get even more convoluted.

The only reason I want someone like Jones is so that the organization will be forced to commit to him moving in one direction, regardless of what that direction is. Right now, there is no committed direction of development for guys like Bourdon, Gustafsson, Manning, and Lauridsen. That's not entirely the organization's fault since those guys really haven't helped themselves much either, but I'm hoping the organization steadies itself with Gostisbehere.
Forwards like McGinn and Schenn looked fine in the AHL and showed when they were ready. So I do think quality of play should be a determining factor when to call up a defenseman. Its not like they are required to rack up points, just play effective in your end of the ice.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Forwards like McGinn and Schenn looked fine in the AHL and showed when they were ready. So I do think quality of play should be a determining factor when to call up a defenseman. Its not like they are required to rack up points, just play effective in your end of the ice.
McGinn's success at the AHL wasn't nearly enough to compare it to the amount of success he had at the NHL level.

McGinn was decent in the AHL, but not nearly solid enough to expect such quality NHL play. Zolnierczyk and Wellwood were similar situations as well when they first arrived. Pretty much every defensemen we've called up has also struggled in the AHL in recent years before playing well enough (in our eyes anyway) to make a positive impact on the Flyers.

While I don't think it's realistic to expect that all those players would've panned out for the better otherwise, I think there is something to be said about the use of our developmental program.

We use a different kind of coach, in a different kind of setting, in a different kind of system, on a team owned by a completely different organization that has separate goals even if both teams share a GM.

It's not good when one guy comes in and has positive success for the first time in years, but is almost immediately shown the door for a guy like Terry Murray, who is running what is completely the opposite system that Lavi is running.

It's not a good way to develop players. It's not a good way to make players feel like they can accomplish anything (see: Lehtivuori, Hovinen, etc.). And it's certainly not a good way to make your head coach feel welcome when you have an NHL head coach teaching your prospects a completely different system at the developmental level.

Are we supposed to be shocked that there is a defeatist atmosphere in Glens Falls and that players like Bourdon, with potentially promising careers ahead of them, are willing to lie about concussion issues desperate to never go back?

The Adirondack Phantoms are a sinkhole. I pray things start to change when they move back to the area.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Pretty much every defensemen we've called up has also struggled in the AHL in recent years before playing well enough (in our eyes anyway) to make a positive impact on the Flyers.
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying but Gus was an AHL All-Star and put up numbers that would get him the call in most organizations. I'm a firm believer that he just needs steady minutes and a competent d partner to be a decent bottom pairing guy and as a free agent signing out of college that's not bad.

In coming into this season he had 73 pts in 105 AHL games

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying but Gus was an AHL All-Star and put up numbers that would get him the call in most organizations. I'm a firm believer that he just needs steady minutes and a competent d partner to be a decent bottom pairing guy and as a free agent signing out of college that's not bad.

In coming into this season he had 73 pts in 105 AHL games
Gus was really the only exception to that, and yeah, I really believe Gus needs a legitimate shot and someone like Grossmann to work things out.

Honestly...

Timonen - Schenn
Jones - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

That's a fantastic defensive lineup.

We just need a goalie to compensate for Bryzaster.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Gus was really the only exception to that, and yeah, I really believe Gus needs a legitimate shot and someone like Grossmann to work things out.

Honestly...

Timonen - Schenn
Jones - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

That's a fantastic defensive lineup.

We just need a goalie to compensate for Bryzaster.
agreed, that would look great but i doubt we get Jones. i know the flyers are just plain bad but florida and Colorado are worse and calgary and tb are right there with the flyers. we could easily end up with the like #7 pick or something which just depresses me. i know it's a deep draft but after going through all this and knowing the what the team desperately needs I think i'll be crying come draft day

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1333
He will wear number 38.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote