HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2013, 01:54 PM
  #926
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
This is the crux of the problem with the arguments supporting self-policing. A system wherein any player who decides an opponent has "crossed the line" has the right to jump him and wail in with a stick or punches, makes every player both judge and executioner. "Yahoo that's old time hockey!" is one way of looking at this, not my way but one way..
no but its the players way. Players dont jump plekanec because hes responsible for his stick. if he gets loosey goosey he gets the same treatment at fleischmann and DESERVES to get tuned. The notion that Emelin got " jumped" by anyone is nothing but revisionist claptrap.

You play fast and lose with your stick, people are gonna come calling metal plates or not.

in the immortal words of the fresh prince " dont start nothing, wont be nothin"

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
  #927
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
Actualy Emelin threw some punches back at Chara and gave Foligno a solid right hook, maybe we're more afraid than he is.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
  #928
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
no but its the players way. Players dont jump plekanec because hes responsible for his stick. if he gets loosey goosey he gets the same treatment at fleischmann and DESERVES to get tuned. The notion that Emelin got " jumped" by anyone is nothing but revisionist claptrap.

You play fast and lose with your stick, people are gonna come calling metal plates or not.

in the immortal words of the fresh prince " dont start nothing, wont be nothin"



What exactly did Emelin start with Foligno? He glided into him after the whistle for christ sake. Foligno was looking for it.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:18 PM
  #929
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post



What exactly did Emelin start with Foligno? He glided into him after the whistle for christ sake. Foligno was looking for it.
he bumped him after the whistle, foligno took offense and pushed him away. Emelin then punched foligno in the face with a gloved fist.
if emelin skates away after foligno pushes him, this is a non issue.

apparently you dont think this deserves a reply, foligno thinks differently.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
  #930
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Alexei Emelin

Has anyone else noticed that Alexei Emelin hasn't been throwing his big body checks over the last few weeks? that was 1 thing he did from his first game here in Montreal but now he doesn't hit??????? I think I know why because he got jumped by Chara and Folingo and no one stood up for him. He is not a fighter and he shouldn't have had to fight guys that do/can fight just because he throws big hits. I bet he sais to himself why bother throwing big hits if my teammates are going to watch me get beat up and no one will fight on his behalf.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
  #931
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
He's been hitting less all year. Might have to do with playing on his wrong side.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
  #932
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,915
vCash: 500
The coaching staff likely told him to focus less on hitting and more on positioning.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
  #933
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,113
vCash: 500
His big hits ALWAYS came when he was playing on the left side (his natural side). This year, he's playing on the right and is obviously struggling. I also think Therrien told him to tone it down and wait for the hits to come to him rather than get out of position to destroy someone.

__________________
...Unemployed Black Astronaut...
PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
  #934
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The coaching staff likely told him to focus less on hitting and more on positioning.
Emelin: " I don't understand the difference...?"

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
  #935
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Alexei Emelin hasn't been throwing his big body checks over the last few weeks? that was 1 thing he did from his first game here in Montreal but now he doesn't hit??????? I think I know why because he got jumped by Chara and Folingo and no one stood up for him. He is not a fighter and he shouldn't have had to fight guys that do/can fight just because he throws big hits. I bet he sais to himself why bother throwing big hits if my teammates are going to watch me get beat up and no one will fight on his behalf.
I don't think so. I think maybe he realizes opponents will retaliate against him for those big slams, and no one cares about his steel plate. Maybe he should wear a helmet.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
  #936
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I don't think so. I think maybe he realizes opponents will retaliate against him for those big slams, and no one cares about his steel plate. Maybe he should wear a helmet.
I think he already wears a helmet.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
  #937
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The coaching staff likely told him to focus less on hitting and more on positioning.
THIS

while he had a horrbile game vs Boston, he has been a lot better than he was last year, his positioning last year was horrible, it didn't help that he played with Kaberle a lot but still.

Also its not a issue to be playing the RD, he is actually good on his backhand, and has good passing skills, he has played RD a lot before in the KHL, and Russian are actually more comfortable playing their off wing.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:05 PM
  #938
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think he already wears a helmet.
You know, the full helmet that covers his entire head so that if someone starts punching him they won't be able to punch one inch of his face.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:13 PM
  #939
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,399
vCash: 500
I really want to like him but he has some brutal games sometimes. I love the physicality but he's gotta put his head in the game, he did look better as LD but maybe that's just the highlight reel talking. He's been quiet and effective in most games and god awful in others.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
  #940
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
You know, the full helmet that covers his entire head so that if someone starts punching him they won't be able to punch one inch of his face.
You mean a full-face helmet. And I agree.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
  #941
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Alexei Emelin hasn't been throwing his big body checks over the last few weeks? that was 1 thing he did from his first game here in Montreal but now he doesn't hit??????? I think I know why because he got jumped by Chara and Folingo and no one stood up for him. He is not a fighter and he shouldn't have had to fight guys that do/can fight just because he throws big hits. I bet he sais to himself why bother throwing big hits if my teammates are going to watch me get beat up and no one will fight on his behalf.
You are correct sir. I noticed this as well.

Another reason why this team needs help in certain areas. Hopefully one day it will be addressed and taken care of.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
  #942
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
You mean a full-face helmet. And I agree.
yeah, that thing.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:07 PM
  #943
68
Registered User
 
68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The coaching staff likely told him to focus less on hitting and more on positioning.
This. The hits are great and all but they can lead to penalties and scoring chances for the other team.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
  #944
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 500
Emelin has gained more confidence with the puck, which isn't a bad thing, but the thing is, we need a guy in his spot on the ice who plays a more conservative defensive game, and a more physical one. Markov's partner needs to be good positionally and ready to respond any time Markov's little gambles don't pay off. Markov isn't fast enough himself to recover. But the right partner would make that pairing golden. I don't think Emelin has quite fit right there this season... even while he has progressed overall as an NHL player.

No knocks on Emelin overall, but I would look at re-tuning a partner for Markov in general.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
  #945
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,683
vCash: 500
I guess it's never going to happen but I would move Subban up with Markov so that Emelin can return to the LD position.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:45 PM
  #946
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Alexei Emelin hasn't been throwing his big body checks over the last few weeks? that was 1 thing he did from his first game here in Montreal but now he doesn't hit??????? I think I know why because he got jumped by Chara and Folingo and no one stood up for him. He is not a fighter and he shouldn't have had to fight guys that do/can fight just because he throws big hits. I bet he sais to himself why bother throwing big hits if my teammates are going to watch me get beat up and no one will fight on his behalf.
He hasn't been running around as much as last year, but has still quite a few bone jarring hits. I think the coaches want him not to jump out of position as much. His puck movement and play inside the blueline has improved a lot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #947
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 21,522
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Emelin has gained more confidence with the puck, which isn't a bad thing, but the thing is, we need a guy in his spot on the ice who plays a more conservative defensive game, and a more physical one. Markov's partner needs to be good positionally and ready to respond any time Markov's little gambles don't pay off. Markov isn't fast enough himself to recover. But the right partner would make that pairing golden. I don't think Emelin has quite fit right there this season... even while he has progressed overall as an NHL player.

No knocks on Emelin overall, but I would look at re-tuning a partner for Markov in general.
I also like his play with the puck, good second season for him he already surpass his rookie season numbers.

He needs to pick up english tho. This interview is 1 month old and he still use a translator.


Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:56 PM
  #948
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I guess it's never going to happen but I would move Subban up with Markov so that Emelin can return to the LD position.
Too much awesome on one pairing.

When we see these pairings the D will be very solid:

Markov-Gorges
Tinordi-Subban
Emelin-Diaz

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:03 PM
  #949
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,037
vCash: 500
He's playing on his wrong side and he's struggling. You still see him go back to the left side when the battles are happening down low. The guy is just not comfortable on the right.
That's the main reason.

There's also Therrien. You saw him in 24CH tell PK how he should not go look for the big hit, so I'm pretty sure he told Emelin the same thing.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:03 AM
  #950
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,891
vCash: 500


Here we go again, some big haymakers by Kane thankfully didn't land on Emelin's face. I'd heard Emelin could get blinded or killed if the metal plate(s?) were jarred loose. Are Emelin and the Habs now in denial about the dangers or are they not as grave as I'd thought?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.