HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 11:14 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Its just frustrating when you see your goalie constantly get sniped during SO's. He doesn't even react.
you know i never agree with you but , i agree with you. he looked lethargic and kinda demoralized there at the end. the low wrister was a weak goal. i still think jeff reese sucks tho. bryzgalov is so tall and lanky but could play even bigger on shootouts. challenge more. i see so much to shoot at when they show the head on view at the net.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
you know i never agree with you but , i agree with you. he looked lethargic and kinda demoralized there at the end. the low wrister was a weak goal. i still think jeff reese sucks tho. bryzgalov is so tall and lanky but could play even bigger on shootouts. challenge more. i see so much to shoot at when they show the head on view at the net.
I agree that Reese sucks, but when you're a 30+ year old goaltender, I think most of the blame falls on you. You don't hear NYR fans praising their goaltending coach for Hank being beastly night in and night out. Unless you're dealing w/ a reclamation project (like Mike Smith in PHX for example) or a young goalie, I don't think the goaltending coach bears much responsibility. It's kind of like firing the hitting coach in baseball and expecting a group of under-performing veteran players to all of the sudden turn it around. Position coaches are most useful w/ young players and/or when you're changing schemes.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I agree that Reese sucks, but when you're a 30+ year old goaltender, I think most of the blame falls on you. You don't hear NYR fans praising their goaltending coach for Hank being beastly night in and night out. Unless you're dealing w/ a reclamation project (like Mike Smith in PHX for example) or a young goalie, I don't think the goaltending coach bears much responsibility. It's kind of like firing the hitting coach in baseball and expecting a group of under-performing veteran players to all of the sudden turn it around. Position coaches are most useful w/ young players and/or when you're changing schemes.
We're just recycling excuses at this point. We're seeing whatever one people buy. Whatever makes people sleep better at night.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Yeah. I'm in no way blaming him for the L but its the same thing for every SO.

Somebody needs to make a GIF of all the SO goals on him where they shoot and 5 secs later he turns around to the puck being in the net.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
this is true and i obviously have no idea what goes on or what they work on. i just have to think there's some positioning adjustment he can make on breakaways, shootouts just based on his size alone. his stance looks like he's trying to stay centered and cover as much as he can but he looks stoic and it doesn't look like there's much anticipation or read on some of those shots. their shots overall were better than ours. giroux's was unbelievable but simmonds and schenn were both wasted attempts. no excuse tho. I'm sick of losing shootouts and i thought he sucked on those shots.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
this is true and i obviously have no idea what goes on or what they work on. i just have to think there's some positioning adjustment he can make on breakaways, shootouts just based on his size alone. his stance looks like he's trying to stay centered and cover as much as he can but he looks stoic and it doesn't look like there's much anticipation or read on some of those shots. their shots overall were better than ours. giroux's was unbelievable but simmonds and schenn were both wasted attempts. no excuse tho. I'm sick of losing shootouts and i thought he sucked on those shots.
This. Very frusturated Lavy didnt pick more pure goal scorers like Gagne and Jake.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Yeah. Simmonds has frustrated me this year so much with his over-deking. He's been one of our better players, the stats are there, and he gives excellent effort and he's been in the proper position a ton, but he's had so many terrible turnovers where he just fumbles the puck going in on an odd man rush or when he waits to long to make a play in the offensive zone, or even when he has a breakaway / shootout opportunity. Whenever he has the puck on his stick and he isn't directly in front of the goal, it seems he's trying to make some ridiculous skill move and I just don't think that's his game. He needs to SIMPLIFY @ even stength IMO.

Right now he's on pace for a 30-30 type of season, which is ridiculously nice considering we got both him and Schenn for Richards, but when you see some of the chances he's flubbed, you can't help but being a little frustrated.

I once made fun of a poster for saying he thought Simmonds could score 40 goals in a season, but watching his play this season I'm starting to rethink my position. If he gets some good even-strength linemates and simplifies his play @ ES a little more the way he does on the powerplay, I could see him potting 40 in a career year.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:39 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
This. Very frusturated Lavy didnt pick more pure goal scorers like Gagne and Jake.

not anymore

all Gagne would have done was "the move"

Old
03-29-2013, 01:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

not anymore

all Gagne would have done was "the move"
You can't say that around here man. Some people still think Gagne's the same Gagne of the 2010 run.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-29-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Curufinwe

He's never been a great shootout guy. 6/26 for his career.

Same percentage for Voracek - 3/13.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
The team just isn't good at the shootout, at all. I don't think anybody in the organization truly cares.

03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed orange View Post
I agree completely with those two things, but the way you put it makes it seems like your just trying to defer blame off bryz. Bryz also needs to play better, a lot better
i'm just saying that [even with our deficiencies] at times he HAS looked great this year. and i think he [or any goalie we had] would look ALOT better if we played more sound team D & hustled all game long like NYR did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
to be honest, the Islanders aren't as bad as they used to be
5 vs 5 in the 3rd looked like NYI was on the PP.

clearly Bryz's fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Dude, you are the guy blaming everything that's wrong with the team on just the goalie and making false statements like we always lose with Bryz in net. He won the last shootout before tonight and is 1-2 on the season.

Except when he does, like the very last shootout before this one.
it's MUCH more fun for those guys to say "Bryz can't win a SO" .... even though he had won 50% of them before last night.

Bryz was 2/4 including stopping THE best player at shootouts. 50%
the Flyers shooters were 1/4 last night in the SO. 25% [two of the, looked like beer leaguers trying it for the 1st time ever]

had to be our goalie's fault that 17 / 10 looked drunk on those attempts

2 goals kicked in / bouncing in off our Defense ..... only on this team, can 2 goals go in off 3 of our own players & the goalie is the one who gets blamed.

clearly Bryz's fault

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-29-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Merged to save thread space
Old
03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
5 vs 5 in the 3rd looked like NYI was on the PP.

clearly Bryz's fault
They're playing like you wanted, why are you complaining? They're very conservative on offense. They often only sent 2 or 3 players into the offensive zone while the rest hung back, and they often looked eager to backcheck the second it looked like we wouldn't maintain puck possession off the rush. Then they'd try to establish a defensive shell and keep NY to the outside, even though the team isn't well suited for that. They're noticeably more concerned about defense, and they aren't pushing nearly as much as one would expect from a team coached by Lavi.

They're trying to play the NYR system you want them to play. Goals are still going in on Bryz, and they're still losing. And you complain about how they're playing, despite them doing what you wanted. Awesome.

Maybe it's just time for you to admit that, regardless of what the team does, Bryz looks pedestrian a lot more often than not. Play Lavi's system? Goals go in. Try to play a defensive system? Goals go in. There's a common denominator there, and it's in net...and it's not like goals are going in at a lower rate while they try to be more defensive.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-29-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
why did a .932 / 2.00 goalie who played 54 games in a starting role with the Flyers 2 years ago post an .877 /3.23 in the playoffs ? and wind up in the press box ?

you think he just "became great" this off season ? ... just when he left the Flyers, and it has nothing to do with CBJ as a team ?
Actually, I just looked at his profile on NHL's site and finally figured out the answer to your question. He lost his double chin, that's how he became great. It's his Samson's hair, but the other way around.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Actually, I just looked at his profile on NHL's site and finally figured out the answer to your question. He lost his double chin, that's how he became great. It's his Samson's hair, but the other way around.
I mean, that must be it. Because truly, it's impossible for a young goalie to develop.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I mean, that must be it. Because truly, it's impossible for a young goalie to develop.
Really? I learn something new everyday. I could have sworn young goalies can develop and get better. Apparently, I have been wrong the whole time.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Really? I learn something new everyday. I could have sworn young goalies can develop and get better. Apparently, I have been wrong the whole time.

That's because every promising young goalie the Flyers get either implodes or goes away. We know nothing else.

I'm going to cry now.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:14 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Yeah. Simmonds has frustrated me this year so much with his over-deking. He's been one of our better players, the stats are there, and he gives excellent effort and he's been in the proper position a ton, but he's had so many terrible turnovers where he just fumbles the puck going in on an odd man rush or when he waits to long to make a play in the offensive zone, or even when he has a breakaway / shootout opportunity. Whenever he has the puck on his stick and he isn't directly in front of the goal, it seems he's trying to make some ridiculous skill move and I just don't think that's his game. He needs to SIMPLIFY @ even stength IMO.

Right now he's on pace for a 30-30 type of season, which is ridiculously nice considering we got both him and Schenn for Richards, but when you see some of the chances he's flubbed, you can't help but being a little frustrated.

I once made fun of a poster for saying he thought Simmonds could score 40 goals in a season, but watching his play this season I'm starting to rethink my position. If he gets some good even-strength linemates and simplifies his play @ ES a little more the way he does on the powerplay, I could see him potting 40 in a career year.
simmonds skates kinda awkward too. he a tough bastid tho. he's young.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Flyerfan4life

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

weird not one of these guys picked Bryz...

they must be haters i guess..

Old
03-29-2013, 10:37 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post

Everyone has either Lundqvist or Rinne 1st except Melrose? He puts Rinne 7th and Lundqvist isn't even on his list. I disagree with his list.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:38 PM
ginner classic

Quote:

Strangely not one point for Schneider but lots for Luongo. Also it's important to note who the ex goalies voted for.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:44 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Barry Melrose is a moron. Also, why is that list evidence of anything? I don't think BP1974 would even argue that Bryz is a top 8 goalie. You know who else is missing from that list? Bobrovsky!

03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Everyone has either Lundqvist or Rinne 1st except Melrose? He puts Rinne 7th and Lundqvist isn't even on his list. I disagree with his list.
I stopped reading when #1 wasn't Bryzgalov. If he doesn't have the MVP of the Flyers 1st overall, than he's a moron who knows nothing about goaltending

Seriously though, how do you justify putting Price @ #4? Am I missing something about Price, or is he yet another goalie who got massively overpaid based on one very strong season?

Am I the only one who thinks he's massively overrated and overpaid?

Old
03-29-2013, 10:56 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
I stopped reading when #1 wasn't Bryzgalov. If he doesn't have the MVP of the Flyers 1st overall, than he's a moron who knows nothing about goaltending

Seriously though, how do you justify putting Price @ #4? Am I missing something about Price, or is he yet another goalie who got massively overpaid based on one very strong season?

Am I the only one who thinks he's massively overrated and overpaid?
He's had some good seasons and has the pedigree to become the best in the league. Goaltending is at a premium so I don't think he's overpaid.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

That list lacked any credibility once MAF was listed on it.

Closed Thread