HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 08:48 PM
  #26
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichbinian View Post
Staal wasn't having the best year either in 2010, and he was on the team. Eberle is known to Team Canada for his work in the world juniors. We need clutch players like him. Plus he's an elite sniper and hard worker. You can't base selections on what kind of years people are having this year - it's 2013-2014 season that counts.

Getzlaf is too slow for the big ice. He's good, but we need a speedy team. Getzlaf is a dog out there.
I agree the first part of 2013-14 counts, but have you watched Eberle play this year? The guy has been very inconsistent, and he is not an elite sniper. That is pushing it right now. The guy has only 9 goals up to this point, and the games i have seen him play, he has been invisible on the ice. Maybe it is just me, but he
is not on my roster right now. I know he was amazing in the

World Junior Championship, but a lot of guys have performed well in the WJC. This season does matter. You can't compare Staal to Eberle. Staal had 4 straight years of 30 goals or more, including two 40 goal seasons to give him the nod in 2010. However, Eberle is still under my consideration like i mentioned earlier, but he is not on my team right now.

Mehar is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:50 PM
  #27
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
This country has so many fricken centermans it's unreal. I mean, we're like a good 8-9 players deep down the middle:
(no order, just as they came to mind)
Crosby
Stamkos
Toews
Tavares
Giroux
Bergeron
Staal
Duchene
Spezza

I mean, each and everyone one of these players would fall on my team in the olympics. We'll probably on see the best far, followed by players capable of playing wing.

p.s. Spezza is on this team. I don't get why everone left him off... Forget about him? or just because he's injured he's on no ones radar...
Give me a break about Spezza. He is not making it. Last year, he wanted to play in the World Championships for Canada, but Canada turned him down. He was not even invited to the 2009 training camp, and after he made a big fuss about it in the media, the Canada brass brought him into the training camp after a couple of guys got hurt. Sorry to burst your bubble, he is not making it. There are others ahead of him in the depth chart at the Center position, and whenever he has played for Canada in the World Championships he has been a disappointment on the big ice. He will not be there in 2014.

Mehar is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:28 PM
  #28
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
I agree the first part of 2013-14 counts, but have you watched Eberle play this year? The guy has been very inconsistent, and he is not an elite sniper. That is pushing it right now. The guy has only 9 goals up to this point, and the games i have seen him play, he has been invisible on the ice. Maybe it is just me, but he
is not on my roster right now. I know he was amazing in the

World Junior Championship, but a lot of guys have performed well in the WJC. This season does matter. You can't compare Staal to Eberle. Staal had 4 straight years of 30 goals or more, including two 40 goal seasons to give him the nod in 2010. However, Eberle is still under my consideration like i mentioned earlier, but he is not on my team right now.

Eberle has been inconsistent, but he has been playing with a broken finger.

Alberta tough is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 03:25 AM
  #29
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,823
vCash: 50
and with a snap of the fingers iginla has an in on the team, if he plays sick with sid, and re-signs, and the chemistry is there, surely he'll make the team.

skip2mybordeleau is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 03:53 PM
  #30
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,948
vCash: 500
Should be something like this: Two things of note. Letang is my 7th defensemen because he's deteroiated defensively this season and I have Jay Bouwmeester because he's actually looking like a number one defensemen this season. I cant name another Canadian number one defensemen I'd rather have.

James Neal - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Martin St Louis
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Eric Staal - Ryan Getzalf - Claude Giroux
Jeff Skinner/Tyler Seguin/Matt Duchene

Shea Weber - Drew Doughty
PK Subban - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith - Jay Bouwmeester
Kris Letang

Shea Weber

Carey Price
Mike Smith
Cam Ward/Roberto Luongo

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 04:42 PM
  #31
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Should be something like this: Two things of note. Letang is my 7th defensemen because he's deteroiated defensively this season and I have Jay Bouwmeester because he's actually looking like a number one defensemen this season. I cant name another Canadian number one defensemen I'd rather have.

James Neal - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Martin St Louis
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Eric Staal - Ryan Getzalf - Claude Giroux
Jeff Skinner/Tyler Seguin/Matt Duchene

Shea Weber - Drew Doughty
PK Subban - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith - Jay Bouwmeester
Kris Letang

Shea Weber

Carey Price
Mike Smith
Cam Ward/Roberto Luongo
No Bergeron?

86Habs is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  #32
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
No Bergeron?
Wasn't good in 2010 and I don't think he'll be much better on a large ice surface.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 05:53 PM
  #33
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Wasn't good in 2010
Wasn't he injured?

Uncle Rotter is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 06:06 PM
  #34
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Wasn't he injured?
Perhaps a little bit but if he was injured to the extent some people make it out to be he wouldn't have played at all. I still don't like his game on big ice.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 06:11 PM
  #35
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Should be something like this: Two things of note. Letang is my 7th defensemen because he's deteroiated defensively this season and I have Jay Bouwmeester because he's actually looking like a number one defensemen this season. I cant name another Canadian number one defensemen I'd rather have.

James Neal - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Martin St Louis
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Eric Staal - Ryan Getzalf - Claude Giroux
Jeff Skinner/Tyler Seguin/Matt Duchene

Shea Weber - Drew Doughty
PK Subban - Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith - Jay Bouwmeester
Kris Letang

Shea Weber

Carey Price
Mike Smith
Cam Ward/Roberto Luongo
I would have Hall over Benn or Neal. Also I would think Perry and Getzlaf would play together.

Alberta tough is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 06:24 PM
  #36
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Perhaps a little bit but if he was injured to the extent some people make it out to be he wouldn't have played at all. I still don't like his game on big ice.
Yeah, he was injured going in (and thus probably shouldn't have gone in the first place), then pulled a groin in the first game. So yes, he was poor in 2010. A "stretch pick" by Yzerman, in the first place probably. No reason to leave him off the team in 2014, though - he's a much better and more experienced player now. Notwithstanding the defensive role he'd play, I'd put him fairly easily in our top 13 forwards now anyway.

And yet you like Perry's and Getzlaf's games on the big ice? And, care to explain exactly why you don't like his game on the big ice?

86Habs is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 06:50 PM
  #37
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,948
vCash: 500
Defensive forwards usually don't. There's others with more offense and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
I would have Hall over Benn or Neal. Also I would think Perry and Getzlaf would play together.
In what world?

Perry and Benn make more sense with Toews. Personally I don't think they're chemistry is good enough that you have to keep them together.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 10:20 PM
  #38
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Perhaps a little bit but if he was injured to the extent some people make it out to be he wouldn't have played at all. I still don't like his game on big ice.
Bergeron was injured, as already said, in 2010. Much more importantly, he is a far better player today than he was at that time. Bergeron was great in Europe during the lockout and has looked great at the WCs before. No reason to think his game, which is based primarily on making smart plays and working hard, wouldn't translate.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 04:05 AM
  #39
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Is the Getzlaf and Perry debate still raging? Well, it's obvious the pair are going back into sleep mode now that they signed their new contracts. Just as I suspected they would....but Perry is still prone to the brain cramps piling up the PIMs

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 11:02 AM
  #40
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Defensive forwards usually don't. There's others with more offense and speed.
Well, your mistake is seeing him as a strictly defensive forward. He's not a Zamuner, Draper, or Doan. Bergeron is the #1 center and near-PPG leading scorer on one of the best teams in the NHL. He can hang with the big boys offensively and obviously contribute a great deal defensively as well. He's the king of well-rounded, two-way player that Hockey Canada loves. He'll certainly be on the team before someone like Benn, Skinner, Duchene, or Neal, and I'd go so far as to call him a lock at this point.

86Habs is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 11:04 AM
  #41
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Is the Getzlaf and Perry debate still raging? Well, it's obvious the pair are going back into sleep mode now that they signed their new contracts. Just as I suspected they would....but Perry is still prone to the brain cramps piling up the PIMs
You called it. I'm reserving judgment on these guys until after the playoffs, personally. If someone pointed a gun at my head right now and told me to name a team, I'd find a way to work Getzlaf in, but not Perry.

86Habs is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 11:29 AM
  #42
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Is the Getzlaf and Perry debate still raging? Well, it's obvious the pair are going back into sleep mode now that they signed their new contracts. Just as I suspected they would....but Perry is still prone to the brain cramps piling up the PIMs
Yup. I also didn't include them as locks. Slightly disappointing that they get the pay day and now their play has dropped. I never liked Perry personally so it's not surprising. Getzlaf's a different story IMO but even he hasn't looked all that stunning.


Last edited by Cory Trevor: 03-29-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 11:39 AM
  #43
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,269
vCash: 500
Kunitz - Crosby - Tavares
Hall - Stamkos - St. Louis
Staal - Toews - Nash
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Duchene

Pietrangelo - Weber
Keith - Doughty
Staal - Subban
Letang

Price
Fleury
Holtby

MAK19 is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 11:49 AM
  #44
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 15,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Well, your mistake is seeing him as a strictly defensive forward. He's not a Zamuner, Draper, or Doan. Bergeron is the #1 center and near-PPG leading scorer on one of the best teams in the NHL. He can hang with the big boys offensively and obviously contribute a great deal defensively as well. He's the king of well-rounded, two-way player that Hockey Canada loves. He'll certainly be on the team before someone like Benn, Skinner, Duchene, or Neal, and I'd go so far as to call him a lock at this point.
Prove it. And I see him as a strictly defensive forward because he won't score much. He may be PPG but lots of Canadian forwards are around that. I don't see how his defensive skills will translate that well to big ice, it works on a smaller rink far better than it does on a large one.

Bergeron has shown he's pretty awful on the wing so the only way I see him making it is if Getzlaf doesn't. Crosby, Tavares and Toews are pretty much locks to be the top three centers down the middle (I don't know why anyone is putting Stamkos at center, it's not happening). That le`aves a final spot for a guy who can't or shouldn't play wing, and as of now Getzlaf should get it.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:13 PM
  #45
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Prove it. And I see him as a strictly defensive forward because he won't score much. He may be PPG but lots of Canadian forwards are around that. I don't see how his defensive skills will translate that well to big ice, it works on a smaller rink far better than it does on a large one.

Bergeron has shown he's pretty awful on the wing so the only way I see him making it is if Getzlaf doesn't. Crosby, Tavares and Toews are pretty much locks to be the top three centers down the middle (I don't know why anyone is putting Stamkos at center, it's not happening). That le`aves a final spot for a guy who can't or shouldn't play wing, and as of now Getzlaf should get it.
How do you know ANY of this? Just nonsense

At the 2006 Worlds, the last time he played on big ice for Canada, he put up 14 points in 9 games. 29 points in 21 games in Switzerland during the lockout.

"I don't see how his defensive skills will translate that well to big ice". BS. Where is this coming from? What specifically won't translate?


Bergeron is a winner. All he does is win, and he's a dominant two-way force. In 2010, he was a shell of his former (and future) self, mainly because of injuries, but he was STILL included on the team. That speaks volumes of what kind of player he is, and what Hockey Canada thinks of him.

Since then, he's won a Cup, a Selke, soon to be a 2nd Selke and taken his game to another level.

Bergeron is locked and loaded, and ready to be unleashed.

MAK19 is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
  #46
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Yup. I also didn't include them as locks. Slightly disappointing that they get the pay day and now their play has dropped. I never liked Perry personally so it's not surprising. Getzlaf's a different story IMO but even he hasn't looked all that stunning.
Oh, I'm not just saying they are not locks, I'm saying it would be a monumental mistake including those 2. Canada will not win with those two in Europe, no chance, noway, no how. There are no guarantees we win without them, but we sure as hell won't win with those 2 in the line-up... I'll call it right now, I'm on the record, if Getzlaf/Perry are included, then we don't get past the 1/4 game and the play of those 2 will directly contribute to the early exit.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
  #47
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Prove it. And I see him as a strictly defensive forward because he won't score much. He may be PPG but lots of Canadian forwards are around that. I don't see how his defensive skills will translate that well to big ice, it works on a smaller rink far better than it does on a large one.
I enjoy how your point basically boils down to "prove it". When the other person says something that is common knowledge, the onus falls to you to prove otherwise. You should have watched the Spengler Cup or some of Bergeron's Swiss games apparently, where his defensive ability and board work translated very well. hockey sense always translates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Bergeron has shown he's pretty awful on the wing so the only way I see him making it is if Getzlaf doesn't. Crosby, Tavares and Toews are pretty much locks to be the top three centers down the middle (I don't know why anyone is putting Stamkos at center, it's not happening). That le`aves a final spot for a guy who can't or shouldn't play wing, and as of now Getzlaf should get it.
Bergeron dominated on Crosby's wing at the 2006 WC, finishing second in scoring. Other than that, when has he shown he's awful on the wing? He's almost always played centre.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
  #48
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
How do you know ANY of this? Just nonsense

At the 2006 Worlds, the last time he played on big ice for Canada, he put up 14 points in 9 games. 29 points in 21 games in Switzerland during the lockout.

"I don't see how his defensive skills will translate that well to big ice". BS. Where is this coming from? What specifically won't translate?


Bergeron is a winner. All he does is win, and he's a dominant two-way force. In 2010, he was a shell of his former (and future) self, mainly because of injuries, but he was STILL included on the team. That speaks volumes of what kind of player he is, and what Hockey Canada thinks of him.

Since then, he's won a Cup, a Selke, soon to be a 2nd Selke and taken his game to another level.

Bergeron is locked and loaded, and ready to be unleashed.
We've disagreed in the past Mandy, but everything you say above I completely agree with.

Faidh is in the (small) minority position here, and the onus is on him to prove that guys like Skinner, Benn, and Duchene are better-suited for Team Canada than Bergeron.

86Habs is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
  #49
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
And I also agree with the majority opinion here that Bergeron should be a lock for the Sochi team.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
  #50
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Prove it. And I see him as a strictly defensive forward because he won't score much. He may be PPG but lots of Canadian forwards are around that. I don't see how his defensive skills will translate that well to big ice, it works on a smaller rink far better than it does on a large one.

Bergeron has shown he's pretty awful on the wing so the only way I see him making it is if Getzlaf doesn't. Crosby, Tavares and Toews are pretty much locks to be the top three centers down the middle (I don't know why anyone is putting Stamkos at center, it's not happening). That le`aves a final spot for a guy who can't or shouldn't play wing, and as of now Getzlaf should get it.
Bergeron's track record on the larger surface is excellent and the team's he has been on are pretty stunning. I ca't find the total list, but it's noteworthy. It's never been an issue for him and I can honestly tell you that outside of Toews, who though will be a Selke candidate for years to come, Bergeron's better defensively. Not by much, but it is there. I watch quite a few Hawks games too however I'd personally take Bergeron over Toews in that category. That's no slight to Toews. IMO, they should be the bottom two centers and rather have Stamkos on the wing on the top lines.

Bergeron on the wing is solid, but playing in the middle plays to his strengths. I remember last go around, and a lot of people questioned choosing him. Yzerman and Hockey Canada took him, despite injury. Since then, he's won the Cup, only improved, and also, amazingly it can happen, improved his game defensively.

Down the middle:

Crosby
Tavares
Toews
Bergeron


Flip the bottom two centers to make good line combinations as you see fit. Giroux's going to be the tough fit in all that. There's going to be quite a few centers playing the wing. I don't know how that will transition.

Cory Trevor is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.