2012-2013 Anaheim Ducks Prospect Update

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Doesn't really make the #18 overall pick of last year's draft a significantly better prospect than the 6th overall pick, as those rankings would want one to believe.
So Lindholm should be higher as he was picked sooner?

It's not about putting value on a number but on the actual player.

I've seen TT playing quite a lot as I support the team he plays in. I understand why he is on that list. Maybe next year Hampus is listed and even higher than TT. You'll never know.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:00 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
So Lindholm should be higher as he was picked sooner?

It's not about putting value on a number but on the actual player.
And GMs did just that less than a year ago. And, like Teravainen, Lindholm has done nothing to disappoint anyone. In terms of projecting to become effective NHL players, I would say that Lindholm actually has proven more since then than Teuvo, simply due to where he has been efficient. It's not saying that Teuvo isn't a great prospect, but it makes little sense to have him (and many others) ahead of Lindholm on that list right now.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:03 AM
Finnpin

I respect your opinion but imo you put too much value on the pick number and these lists don't mean nothing in bigger picture. I guess it's even better for a prospect to fly under the radar.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I respect your opinion but imo you put too much value on the pick number and these lists don't mean nothing in bigger picture. I guess it's even better for a prospect to fly under the radar.
I don't think I really put too much value on the number, and I know how little these lists end up meaning, but there can obviously be arguments. And I certainly respect your opinion, as well, especially since you have the benefit of seeing TT in person. And you're not wrong in that it certainly doesn't hurt a prospect to fly under the radar.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
And GMs did just that less than a year ago. And, like Teravainen, Lindholm has done nothing to disappoint anyone. In terms of projecting to become effective NHL players, I would say that Lindholm actually has proven more since then than Teuvo, simply due to where he has been efficient. It's not saying that Teuvo isn't a great prospect, but it makes little sense to have him (and many others) ahead of Lindholm on that list right now.
I'd disagree here.

Despite the ball washing Lindholm gets around here for his "NHL readiness" and "composure", the fact is he has had two concussions in a year and has only played 33 games at the pro level.

How does a kid who by all accounts was drafted, 10-12 spots earlier than projected and has missed a large chunk of the season with injuries warrant being a cog in the "hype machine" that is these stupid lists?

He doesn't. He wasn't a sexy pick at 6, and he hasn't been overly amazing at the AHL level. There is no reason that whomever even does these lists would even have Lindholm on his radar.

I don't want this to seem like I hate Lindholm or the pick because I don't. These current Duck scouts have certainly earned my trust. People just need to understand these lists are more about hype then they are about actual skill.

You're better off ignoring them entirely.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
He wasn't a sexy pick at 6, and he hasn't been overly amazing at the AHL level.
I don't know about that. For his age, it has been pretty amazing. There's a ton of guys on that list that were less amazing (relatively) playing junior hockey. He shouldn't have to be amazing in the AHL for it to be considered pretty special.

Quote:
People just need to understand these lists are more about hype then they are about actual skill.

Well, you're not getting any arguments from me on that.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
He doesn't. He wasn't a sexy pick at 6, and he hasn't been overly amazing at the AHL level. There is no reason that whomever even does these lists would even have Lindholm on his radar.
That is just false.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Clive Bixby
AMG

Wisconsin & UMass Lowell face off in a couple hours...4:30EST to be exact.

And here's an article from USCHO on Kerdiles:

Quote:
Kerdiles deflects credit, but freshman has big role in Wisconsin’s recovery

The Badgers are 21-5-5 since Nic Kerdiles returned from a 10-game NCAA suspension.

As freshman Nic Kerdiles gave Wisconsin its second two-goal lead of the game last Saturday, the Badgers’ NCAA tournament hopes grew exponentially.

For a team that was essentially left for dead early in late November, there were plenty of good feelings to go around as it capped a seemingly unbelievable 21-5-5 run with a 3-2 triumph over Colorado College to win the WCHA’s Broadmoor Trophy and an automatic bid to the NCAA field of 16.

The story of the Badgers’ 2012-13 season to date features Kerdiles in a number of prominent ways besides just that goal in the championship game.

When asked after the game if he felt that he was the main reason for his team’s turnaround, however, Kerdiles was quick to shift attention away from himself and onto his teammates.

“Not at all, no,” Kerdiles said. “I take no credit for that. We are working hard right now.”

When Badgers coach Mike Eaves recruited Kerdiles, he probably had visions of having the youngster skate for a couple of seasons alongside junior Mark Zengerle and becoming a key piece of the puzzle as the Badgers looked to return to national prominence after a disappointing 2011-12.

In October, it appeared those plans might have been derailed before they even began as Kerdiles got caught up in an amateurism issue with the NCAA. According to reports, Kerdiles’ family didn’t repay the player’s family advisor soon enough for a hotel stay at the NHL Entry Draft.

The NCAA ruled it an amateurism violation, and they suspended the incoming freshman for the season.

After appeal, the Irvine, Calif., native missed the Badgers’ first 10 games of the season. The Badgers also lost Zengerle to injury, and the team went just 1-7-2 during that span, losing to both Northern Michigan and Minnesota State twice. They earned their only victory over Minnesota-Duluth.

“We had a lot of things going on,” Kerdiles said. “Mark, obviously a big part of the team, was out with an injury for some of those games. We just couldn’t get a rhythm, I think. Lines were shifting all the time. We were just trying to figure things out.”

Kerdiles’ first game came on Nov. 30 in Denver. He was not much of a factor in that first contest as the Badgers managed only one goal in a 1-1 tie. The following night, he assisted on each of his team’s first two goals in what turned out to be just their second victory of the season.

“You could see the energy he brought to the ice,” Eaves said in a news conference after that series. “He won battles. He had a couple of assists on Saturday because he was around the puck.”

His first goal came at home on Dec. 13, four minutes into a contest with Alabama-Huntsville. He added a second tally before the night was over and finished December with five points in five games.

“With all of the stuff that’s been going on with me, I guess it’s just nice to get that out of the way,” Kerdiles said about scoring his first goal. “At the end of the day I’m just excited for the way our team played.”

January was not particularly kind to Kerdiles. With just two assists combined through the first two weekends, he suffered through a three-game pointless streak. Getting a second look at Alaska-Anchorage during the final weekend of the month, he broke through with three points. The team went 7-1 through the month despite his inconsistent play.

From the start of February, Kerdiles got on track and was held off the score sheet just twice over the remainder of the season. Starting with the Feb. 24 matchup with Penn State, Kerdiles has had at least a point in each of his team’s last 11 games.

Playing playoff hockey hasn’t fazed him. He notched two points in each of the WCHA opening-round games against Minnesota-Duluth. He then put up two points in each of the Badgers’ three victories at the WCHA Final Five, earning MVP honors.

“I think that was part of our struggles early in the season,” Eaves said. “Not having Nic, losing [Zengerle], Derek [Lee] was hurt. There were a lot of things going on at that time. Getting Nic back and a healthy [Zengerle] and Derek playing well, things started coming together.”

With an NCAA tournament matchup with Massachusetts-Lowell looming, Kerdiles is tied with his linemate, Zengerle, for second place on the Badgers in scoring with 10 goals and 32 points in 31 games.

At this point, it seems safe to assume that Kerdiles has had the kind of impact Eaves hoped he would have when he recruited the USA Hockey National Team Development Program product.

The Badgers have lost just five times with Kerdiles in the lineup, and they will continue to lean on him for scoring if they plan on making a run to the NCAA Frozen Four.

http://www.uscho.com/2013/03/27/kerd...#ixzz2OwgDeQAC
EDIT: USCHO is saying it's being broadcast on ESPN3 which is their online feed (I think). I found the game on NESN out here in Boston so if you have satellite you'll find it there.

Last edited by Clive Bixby: 03-29-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old
03-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Nic Krosbiles

Old
03-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
I'd disagree here.

Despite the ball washing Lindholm gets around here for his "NHL readiness" and "composure", the fact is he has had two concussions in a year and has only played 33 games at the pro level.

How does a kid who by all accounts was drafted, 10-12 spots earlier than projected and has missed a large chunk of the season with injuries warrant being a cog in the "hype machine" that is these stupid lists?

I don't want this to seem like I hate Lindholm or the pick because I don't. These current Duck scouts have certainly earned my trust. People just need to understand these lists are more about hype then they are about actual skill.

Except that's not true at all. Well, it is a little, but the biggest factor is that he's an Anaheim prospect, so an Anaheim prospect who hasn't played much after being drafted as an unsexy pick won't warrant consideration. However, a Pittsburgh prospect who hasn't played much after being drafted as an unsexy pick most certainly will, and they proved it by ranking Derrick Pouliot, who was ranked lower than Hampus across the board, and has also not played a lot this year, 38th.

I don't think there's any way you can make an argumant that Pouliot > Lindholm, but he's a Pens prospect so that's just how it had to be.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Exit Dose

Don't take our word for it, here's how the scouts currently see it:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-sco...0564--nhl.html

Old
03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Don't take our word for it, here's how the scouts currently see it:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-sco...0564--nhl.html
Nice. Thanks!

(OT rant... I've been so busy that I haven't been to a B&N for ages. Usually, it's a habit of mine to purchase the future's watch, but missed it as it's no longer on the shelves. I bought a google play card hoping it would be available on their mag, but nada. Same with B&N online. smh... thn needs to get on these things, dammit! LoL)

Old
03-29-2013, 03:40 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
I'd disagree here.

What are all accounts? there were other teams rumored to have Lindholm in their top 10 which is why Anaheim didn't trade down

Old
03-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
There were reported to be at least two other teams who had Lindholm in the top 5. He was a late bloomer, who rose quickly. The teams that saw more of him had him higher.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:53 PM
nbducksfan19

is the wisconsin game on direct tv?

Old
03-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Paul4587

It was strongly rumored that Ottawa were very high on him and IIRC were willing to move up to get him. There was another team also that was mentioned but I can't remember who off the top of my head.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
The Division I playoffs start tomorrow. Kerdiles's game is at 1:30 pm - pacific time. The games are single elimination, like the basketball tourney.

It's on ESPN 3(their online channel). You'll be able to watch the game here:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index
So am I the only one getting an error message trying to "load" the game?

Old
03-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
It was strongly rumored that Ottawa were very high on him and IIRC were willing to move up to get him. There was another team also that was mentioned but I can't remember who off the top of my head.
Ottawa seems to do a lot of scouting in Sweden. From what I recall, it was Ottawa and Anaheim who had their eye on Karlsson. From what I recall, the Ducks thought they could trade down and still get Karlsson. Oops.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Ottawa seems to do a lot of scouting in Sweden. From what I recall, it was Ottawa and Anaheim who had their eye on Karlsson. From what I recall, the Ducks thought they could trade down and still get Karlsson. Oops.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I guess in the words of Pete Townshend, Bob, won't get fooled again.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That's right, we moved down to 17 - Ottawa was at 18 then Brian Murray moved up to 15. Burke must have been pissed if Karlsson was who he wanted.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:43 PM
airforceones25

Wisconsin might be 1 and done. Down 5-1 in the 3rd..

Kerdiles with the lone goal however.

Last edited by airforceones25: 03-29-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 06:16 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Wisconsin out. Great season by Kerdiles. Better luck next time. Future looks bright with him in the system.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbducksfan19 View Post
is the wisconsin game on direct tv?
They got there ass whooped. Don't watch it

Old
03-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Wisconsin might be 1 and done. Down 5-1 in the 3rd..

Kerdiles with the lone goal however.
They gave that goal to his teammate unless they gave it back. It did look like it was Nic's goal.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:40 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
Kerdiles can't play in the AHL without losing his schooling right?

Closed Thread