HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price was NOT a bad pick at all

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Russian_fanatic

vCash: 500
Carey Price was NOT a bad pick at all

I've watched this guy a lot, and let me say this. He has the tools to be a star. These people who rag on Price are stupid let me tell you this. They haven't even seen him play, and are judging him off stats. He put on NHL style equipment this season which hindered some of his abilities for now, but in the near future this move is going to pay off big time for Price.

Price before this move(equipment change) was a very good goaltender and owned something like a .921(around there) save percent, and was a dominate goaltender. Carey Price hardly gets any help from the defensive end of the rink, and it doesn't help that they don't really have a true star on their team right now, but Price keeps them competitive. When ever the Tri-City Americans decide to play their back ups, they get dogged. Look at their stats if you're a stat monger.

All in all I can see Price becoming a top 5 goaltender when he makes the NHL. This kid has all the tools, and the mental thinking to become a star. Anyone who thinks this is a bad pick should really watch Price some more.

You can't look at who you COULD HAVE picked, but have to look at who you picked. Price was the right pick.

Old
08-12-2006, 04:31 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Thanks thats nice to hear from a nucks fan.
I hope your correct would love Price to be a top five NHL goalie for a long time!

Old
08-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic View Post
I've watched this guy a lot, and let me say this. He has the tools to be a star. These people who rag on Price are stupid let me tell you this. They haven't even seen him play, and are judging him off stats. He put on NHL style equipment this season which hindered some of his abilities for now, but in the near future this move is going to pay off big time for Price.

Price before this move(equipment change) was a very good goaltender and owned something like a .921(around there) save percent, and was a dominate goaltender. Carey Price hardly gets any help from the defensive end of the rink, and it doesn't help that they don't really have a true star on their team right now, but Price keeps them competitive. When ever the Tri-City Americans decide to play their back ups, they get dogged. Look at their stats if you're a stat monger.

All in all I can see Price becoming a top 5 goaltender when he makes the NHL. This kid has all the tools, and the mental thinking to become a star. Anyone who thinks this is a bad pick should really watch Price some more.

You can't look at who you COULD HAVE picked, but have to look at who you picked. Price was the right pick.
Thanks, and good point, many dont realize that he was using smaller pads. I dont know if it mandatory in the CHL now.. but it could still hurt his chances of making the WJC squad. The point is to be ready for the NHL though, and this shows maturity.

Old
08-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Russian_fanatic

Price has an awesome mental attitude. When the game is on the line. Forget about it! Price has all the tools, and mental attitude. He is easily the most skilled, and best goaltender in the 2005 draft. He's a keeper.

Old
08-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:

Thanks for the insight! I really hope to see in the habs uniform in 2 years.

Old
08-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
IMO, Carey Price have the potential to dominate the nhl. Great size, nice technique, unique poise. I do not think it is a bust or a bad pick, but i was very high on Anze Kopitar, a huge centre, with awesome skills, now the canadiens need a big centre like kopitar ... and no goalie like price

Old
08-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Samsonov View Post
IMO, Carey Price have the potential to dominate the nhl. Great size, nice technique, unique poise. I do not think it is a bust or a bad pick, but i was very high on Anze Kopitar, a huge centre, with awesome skills, now the canadiens need a big centre like kopitar ... and no goalie like price
As a prospect Price>Kopitar

The Habs at this point need a goaltender of the future, and Price is that guy.

Old
08-12-2006, 04:45 PM
ryanghg

Thanks for the insight

Could turn out to be an amazing pick.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play more.

Old
08-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Quote:
As a prospect Price>Kopitar

The Habs at this point need a goaltender of the future, and Price is that guy.
The Habs at this point need a huge centre of the future, and Ribeiro is NOT that guy

Old
08-12-2006, 04:47 PM
CourtnallRocks

While i don't doubt his skills, as only a handful of goalies have ever been picked in the top5 in nhl history, i am worried about his attitude. The reason why he did not make the WJC squad last year, was because of character issues. I do remember quite clearly that he did not go the optional practice held by coach Sutter, even if the goaltending position was wide open at the time. But you know who else did? That's right Justin Pogge, and Devan Dubnyk. I do realize that it would have been a tough for him to win the job as both goalies were older and more experienced than he was, but still, you just don't miss practices like that. I just hope it was a maturity issue, and nothing else.

Old
08-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I like Price and all. My doubts about the pick have generally centred more around the idea of picking a goalie that high as opposed to anything particular about Price himself. Although it's true he never really shone when I was watching him in the WU-18 tourney or one game on Sportsnet. He looked like he should be good, but his play was never really at the level expected. But that's probably what happens when you only see a guy a handful of times. You could get the wrong handful.

By contrast, I've seen Rask and Pavelec play some incredible games, so I usually end up thinking, well, why pick Price at #5 when there were some really good goalies available later?

But then, I've also never met Price either and I know if I was drafting I'd put a really high value on character and personality too. My mind is very much open on the pick. (And I'm really hoping he pans out, because I had to burn the #4 overall pick on him in my FHL, just to secure the Habs guy). (Well, and for the obvious Habs-related reasons too, of course. ).

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 08-12-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old
08-12-2006, 05:01 PM
terreur

i only saw him play with the u-18 team and he was quite impressive.

Old
08-12-2006, 05:15 PM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtnallRocks View Post
While i don't doubt his skills, as only a handful of goalies have ever been picked in the top5 in nhl history, i am worried about his attitude. The reason why he did not make the WJC squad last year, was because of character issues. I do remember quite clearly that he did not go the optional practice held by coach Sutter, even if the goaltending position was wide open at the time. But you know who else did? That's right Justin Pogge, and Devan Dubnyk. I do realize that it would have been a tough for him to win the job as both goalies were older and more experienced than he was, but still, you just don't miss practices like that. I just hope it was a maturity issue, and nothing else.
He didnt go to the optional practice because 1. it was optional 2. it interfered with his personal routine before gamedays. Pogge had a great year with his larger than Roy pads, but Price was just as good as Pogge at camp, and helluva lot better than the others.

Old
08-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Maxpac

If we ever draft a center with size and potential we'l have a full line-up for future needs....

-no.1 goalie potential
-winger
-defensmen
-grinders
-shut-down players( 2-way)
-skill at center
-powerforward

right now we relie on Grabo and Maxwell....

Old
08-12-2006, 05:56 PM
TheHoser

Quote:
Oh COME on. Do you know what that practice was? It was two goalies messing around with the coaches for a couple hours. There was no 'practice,' they just goofed around and the coaches took some penalty shots. One of the assistants even fell down and sprained his ankle. If I was Price I wouldn't have gone there either, it was a joke and he would have been better suited to rest. The guy has a great attitude.

I love Price. He's got all the tools to be a franchise goalie. Size, speed, a strong mental game, and a commitment to the game like few others. He's a lot like Cam Ward, in that he's unflappably calm and always steps it up when the game is on the line. He also faces a LOT of rubber (He faced over 1700 shots in 04-05, and 1500 last season), which is never good for stats but is good for development. You don't draft based on how good a player is right now, as they say.

Old
08-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Only reason in my eyes Price didn't get picked was because Price doesn't practise on game days. It's a superstition for him.

Or that was what I heard. You guys are also forgetting as a 17 year old this kid what a monster in the dub. BTW he has fantastic stickhandling. His stick handling is Turco/Brodeur like.

Old
08-13-2006, 04:32 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Quite obvious..

Those who are mad about the pick know very little about this guy... He has all the tool to be an elite goaltender and I prefer Price to mister injury prone.

Old
08-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Quite obvious..

Those who are mad about the pick know very little about this guy... He has all the tool to be an elite goaltender and I prefer Price to mister injury prone.
true, we already have Latendresse... who seem to be quite similar.. but at least less major injuries.

when i saw Price i also was tremendously impressed by his poise.. definately elite talent... stats dont bother me as much. the guy moves in his net and around his net so flawlessly, its almost like he floats on the ice. seriously, tremendous talent. i cant wait to see him in the nhl.. he already showed he could do pretty well in the nhl preseason last year. i think he will already be a star as a rookie in the ahl next year.

Old
08-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Kafka

On one side, we will see how Brule will do this season with injuries. On the other side, we will see in the future if Carey's ego fits with the club. For a goaltender, it might not be a problem (Roy for instance), but still, even with great talent, it prevented Ron Hainsey to fill the Habs uniform.

Old
08-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
On one side, we will see how Brule will do this season with injuries. On the other side, we will see in the future if Carey's ego fits with the club. For a goaltender, it might not be a problem (Roy for instance), but still, even with great talent, it prevented Ron Hainsey to fill the Habs uniform.
what he has a attitude problem?

Old
08-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
what he has a attitude problem?
Sutter apparently didn`t pick him for the WJC because Price told him he never practices the day of a game. Anyway, I am not sure he has a personnality problem right now. We will figure it out when he will join an AHL club.

Old
08-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Sutter apparently didn`t pick him for the WJC because Price told him he never practices the day of a game. Anyway, I am not sure he has a personnality problem right now. We will figure it out when he will join an AHL club.
If you read further up, someone mentioned it was a superstition.

Old
08-13-2006, 10:29 AM
tmc

Quote:
what do you mean ego, he didnt go to one optional practice and you campare him to hollywood hainsey?

Old
08-13-2006, 10:29 AM
MM425

From what I've read too, Roalie Melanson is a HUGE supporter of his and has been keeping close tabs on his development in Tri-City.

Melanson is one of the best goalie coaches in the biz'... he was the one behind re-building Huet's game last year and responisble for Theodore's sucess a few years back (although even Rolie can't prevent "Jim Carey Syndrome" ).

The thing I like is that you know Price is going to be developed properly. This year should be huge for him... as he is the leading canidate for the WJ team and rumours have been swiriling that he may be traded to the Memorial Cup host Vancouver Giants.

Getting all that big game experience should be huge for Price.

Old
08-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Teufelsdreck

Cardinal rule: Brule and Kopitar don't make saves. Having a premier goaltender is the keystone in constructing a contender.

Closed Thread