HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst Trade Ever

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2006, 12:16 PM
  #26
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Some other bad trades not yet mentioned:

Ludwig for Dirk?
Jim Campbell for Robert Dirk, who played one shift before getting injured and never saw the inside of a Canadiens uniform again. Then again, hardly a trade that ranks among the worst, the expectations were not very high for Dork.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:18 PM
  #27
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Jim Campbell for Robert Dirk, who played one shift before getting injured and never saw the inside of a Canadiens uniform again. Then again, hardly a trade that ranks among the worst, the expectations were not very high for Dork.
My issue was dealing Ludwig who still had a few good seasons left in him. Who did we get for him? All I remember it was a d-man and he sucked for us. For some reason I thought it was Dirk.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:50 PM
  #28
NewGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Turgeon AND Conroy (and who else?) for Corson and that defenseman whose name escapes me (Murray Baron?) who turned out to be a complete bust was pretty bad as well.
Rory Fitzpatrick was sent along with Turgeon and Conroy. It could of been worse though, I heard or read somewhere that St. Louis had a choice between Fitzpatrick and Craig Rivet. Thankfully St. Louis picked the lesser player.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 03:03 PM
  #29
NewGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
My issue was dealing Ludwig who still had a few good seasons left in him. Who did we get for him? All I remember it was a d-man and he sucked for us. For some reason I thought it was Dirk.
The Habs got Gerald Diduck from the Islanders for Craig Ludwig after the 1989-90 season. He played ten more years for the Islanders and (North) Stars and won a Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999 before retiring. The Habs thought so highly of Diduck that he played 32 games with them before being dealt to Vancouver for a 4th round pick in 1991 which was used to select Vladimir Vujtek. Vujtek played 2 games with the Habs in 1991-92 and in the offseason was traded to the Oilers with Shayne Corson and Brent Gilchrist for Vincent Damphousse and a draft pick.

So in a roundabout way trading Craig Ludwig eventually helped get the Habs Vincent Damphousse. Of course the asset that was Ludwig had been significantly devalued along the way.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 03:47 PM
  #30
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Before he was fired in Oct. '95, Savard was working on trading Roy to the Avs but the return for him would've been more like Owen Nolan, Stephane Fiset and maybe more as opposed to the pile of mediocrity that Houle got. Though it was horrible to trade Roy, I think Savard's deal could've helped the team. The Habs actually had a lot going for them in the mid 90s if Houle hadn't traded like a mad man and they hadn't gone into a decade long drafting slump.

Imagine 96-97:

Damphousse-Turgeon-Recchi
Savage-Koivu-Nolan
Tucker-Conroy-V. Bure
Brunet-Bureau-Keane

Malakhov-Odelein
Brisebois-Rivet
Popovic-Quintel
(Wilkie)

Fiset
Jablonski

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 04:02 PM
  #31
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever View Post
Before he was fired in Oct. '95, Savard was working on trading Roy to the Avs but the return for him would've been more like Owen Nolan, Stephane Fiset and maybe more as opposed to the pile of mediocrity that Houle got. Though it was horrible to trade Roy, I think Savard's deal could've helped the team. The Habs actually had a lot going for them in the mid 90s if Houle hadn't traded like a mad man and they hadn't gone into a decade long drafting slump.

Imagine 96-97:

Damphousse-Turgeon-Recchi
Savage-Koivu-Nolan
Tucker-Conroy-V. Bure
Brunet-Bureau-Keane

Malakhov-Odelein
Brisebois-Rivet
Popovic-Quintel
(Wilkie)

Fiset
Jablonski
might as well not dress any goalie

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:45 PM
  #32
Doc Hock
Registered User
 
Doc Hock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
One of my leat favorite of all times was Andrew Cassells to Hartford for a third round pick

doc hock


Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:50 PM
  #33
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
out of our system, the Thornton trade was pretty bad if you look at it

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:24 PM
  #34
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
I don't care what the justification is, you don't trade a Chris Chelios. He just won the Norris Trophy. Lemieux? Carbo? Leclair? Roy? Keane? Desjardin? Corson?

Just ridiculous.

Trading Turgeon was a great move imo. I never wanted him on the team in the first place. I couldn't stand some of those wimps they brought in. I was embarrassed to be a Habs fan at that point.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:36 PM
  #35
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I don't care what the justification is, you don't trade a Chris Chelios. He just won the Norris Trophy. Lemieux? Carbo? Leclair? Roy? Keane? Desjardin? Corson?

Just ridiculous.

Trading Turgeon was a great move imo. I never wanted him on the team in the first place. I couldn't stand some of those wimps they brought in. I was embarrassed to be a Habs fan at that point.
would you keep in your house the guy that is sleeping with your wife ?

how can you say that the trade of Turgeon was a great move ? How can be good the trade of a 100 points fluide player for a slow 45-50 points bum as Corson ???

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:10 PM
  #36
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,344
vCash: 500
Didn't we trade for Darryl Shannon? What happened to him? He just disapered. Was he injured.. decided to retire?? What was it?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:31 PM
  #37
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
would you keep in your house the guy that is sleeping with your wife ?

how can you say that the trade of Turgeon was a great move ? How can be good the trade of a 100 points fluide player for a slow 45-50 points bum as Corson ???
Turgeon never should have been on this team in the first place. He's always been a gutless player. And to make him Captain was just a preposterous move. Totally unfair to him too. Turgeon, Rucinsky and Brisebois all on the same team. Now those were some dark times. Remember when they passed the torch from all those great players to Carbonneau, then to TURGEON??? That was not right.

As for Chelios, those are only rumours. I would have gotten rid of Corey and Savard before Chelios though....(although, I just found out that Chelios was arrested in college for PURSE SNATCHING...can you believe that??) Chelly is probably still better than all of our defensemen except Markov and he's like 63 years old.


Last edited by tinyzombies: 08-12-2006 at 11:40 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:38 PM
  #38
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
the roy trade was the worst bc of all the years of obscurity that followed.
Roy trade in IMO, is still the worst Habs' trade ever
to this day I still have very much hate for the Corey-Houle-Tremblay trio

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:18 AM
  #39
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hock View Post
One of my leat favorite of all times was Andrew Cassells to Hartford for a third round pick

doc hock

It was actually a 2nd and it turned out to be Valerie Bure. In hindsight, a Cassells for Bure trade worked out pretty well until we gave Bure away in an awful trade.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:27 AM
  #40
frago10
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Chelios in his prime PLUS a 2nd rounder for a washed up Denis Savard is the worst fleecing we took in my view, the Roy fiasco and the Leclair/Desjardins for Recchi a close second...

Another bad Savard move that hasn't been mentioned was when he traded 3 players (Wickeheiser was part of it, can't remember the other 2) for the supposedly great Perry Turnbull, who must have been on drugs or something as all his ability disappeared as soon as he wore the Habs' uniform...

Turgeon AND Conroy (and who else?) for Corson and that defenseman whose name escapes me (Murray Baron?) who turned out to be a complete bust was pretty bad as well.
nothing at all can top giving Roy up for basically a bag of pucks but lets not forget that Savard won a cup and it took chelios going to detroit before he won.
Wickenheiser was never going to be the player he could have been elsewhere because he could never live down the habs not taking savard 1st overall.

frago10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:33 AM
  #41
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,282
vCash: 256
Patrick Roy trade was the worst.We got robbed real bad.I wonder what would have happened if we had asked Lacroix for Forsberg.I think he would have done it anyways.


I also hate the Desjardins,Leclair and Dionne for Recchi trade.I loved Recchi as a Habs but it was alot IMO

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:23 PM
  #42
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Whats with all the Turgeon bashing? He was never physical but he was far from "gutless". The guy put up 96 points in his only full season with the team and all anybody can do he critisize him? He certainly helped Damphousse out, if anything Recchi was the weakest link since his production went way down after he joined the team and back up after he left the Habs.


Last edited by ForsbergForever: 08-13-2006 at 12:34 PM.
ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:31 PM
  #43
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever View Post
Whats with all the Turgeon bashing? He was never physical but he was far from "gutless". The guy put up 96 points in his only full season with the team and all anybody can do he critisize him? He certainly helped Damphousse out, if anything Recchi was the weakest link since his production went way down after he joined the team and back up after he left the Habs.
When your previous captains were warriors like carbo, muller, and keane.. and then you have turgeon who was very shy from taking hits to make plays. I know thats not part of his game but he wasn't captain material and thats the reason he was ultimately booed out of town.

Turgeon played with grace but I will remember him from the times that the going got tough. He would never take a hit to make the play. He would either get out of the way and cough up the puck or skate backwards. Fans didn't like this sort of play from their captain. If Turgeon was not the captian and not the highest paid player on the team, I believe the fans would have been a whole lot more forgiving.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:56 PM
  #44
Malmsteen44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven91 View Post
We all know that the Habs have made some terrible trades, but which one was the worst.

Worst trade- Langway, Engblom, Jarvis, and Laughlin for Ryan Walter and Rick Green.

A Hall of Fame defenseman (Langway) who saved the Capitals franchise, an excellent defenseman in Engblom who was coming off a league best +63 rating (partnered with Langway), iron man defensive center Jarvis, and Laughlin.

http://statshockey.homestead.com/plusminus.html

Langway would have stepped in for Larry Robinson as he was getting a little older and the Habs would have been stronger.

We was ROBBED.

2nd- Roy- nuff said.
3rd- Leclair, Desjardins, Dionne for Recchi- Power forward and 2 time ALL NHL defender. OUCH!!
4th- Chelios for a past his prime Savard- I think he won 2 more Norris Trophies.
5th- Turgeon for Corson. Yeah he was soft, but I think they traded him when Koivu
was leading the league in scoring (then knee injury). HORRIBLE>

Malmsteen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:12 PM
  #45
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
We don't know the true story behind these trades, just rumours and we don't know these players personally, so it's hard to tell. But from a distance it looks like the philosophy under Corey was misguided.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:06 AM
  #46
habsfan92
Registered User
 
habsfan92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
I remember the Turgeon trade.
Just before he got traded, they put him together with Recchi and a young Koivu. Great chemistry..always dangerous on the ice..and they produced.
So of course, Houle trades him away or a washed-up grinder
Also, in regards to Denis Savard, always liked him. Helped us win a cup. Great to watch. If memory serves..Chelios got arrested that summer before getting traded for public urination. Outstanding.
Trades/players let go I disagreed with;
Chris Nilan(the first time)-still had a few brawls with the city of Boston left in him
Guy Carboneau-for a minor leaguer? don't get it
Larry Robinson-should have ended career here
Desjardins & Schneider-great puck movers
Turgeon,Roy,Mcphee(always loved the work ethic) and Ulanov(loved watching him pound Lindros).
Don't get me started on Lafleur.
Personally I do not think Leclair would have ever reached potential inMtl. Playing with Lindros helped him immensely.
Also to mention, I think that the Chelios trade was a result of a division among the players in regards to the captaincy. Splitting it between Carb & Chel for a year probably created some rift, and they wanted 1 clearcut leader? I guess.


Last edited by habsfan92: 08-14-2006 at 12:09 AM. Reason: need to add point
habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:04 AM
  #47
larue*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Turgeon never should have been on this team in the first place. He's always been a gutless player. And to make him Captain was just a preposterous move. Totally unfair to him too. Turgeon, Rucinsky and Brisebois all on the same team. Now those were some dark times. Remember when they passed the torch from all those great players to Carbonneau, then to TURGEON??? That was not right.
And to boot we gave our heart and soul player at the time to get Turgeon. Kirk Muller.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.