HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers' Defense Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 10:21 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
They could really use a Shea Weber on that blueline.
Low blow.

But I agree

03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
SilkyMitts

injuries
&injuries
&injuries
&injuries

Old
03-29-2013, 10:26 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

This thread blows. So depressing.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
So you're telling me that all top draft picks don't work out?

Shocking
Actually, the point was that the Flyers have drafted defensemen fairly recently but they didn't work out.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Were it in any other situation, I'd actual root for them to get Jones however I think the Avs are just too perfect for that fit. Either way, I'd be excited for them if they have the chance to land him.

That D Core is gutted. Personally I'm rooting for you guys.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:04 AM
firstemperor

To chime in on Schenn, I've watched several flyer games. The issue with him is not just his foot speed. It's his inability to make great first passes and/or carry the puck out of his zone. He's playing defense 80% of the time while other d-men are playing as low as 20% of the time because of their puck-moving ability. When you have ratios like that, it just invites trouble.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Sigh
Snowflake

vCash: 1415
I think Bartkowski is available. I've heard good things!

Old
03-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Mark Messier
Getting To My Game

Wow, you really don't realize how putrid that is until you actually read it on paper (or a webpage). Luke Schenn is just...horrible, to say the least.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:22 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
To chime in on Schenn, I've watched several flyer games. The issue with him is not just his foot speed. It's his inability to make great first passes and/or carry the puck out of his zone. He's playing defense 80% of the time while other d-men are playing as low as 20% of the time because of their puck-moving ability. When you have ratios like that, it just invites trouble.
What does that even mean?

We get it Leaf fans, Schenn sucks. Do you have to turn every Flyers thread into a trash Schenn thread? We"re aware of Schenn's deficiencies. He's a stay at home guy who will never be the offensive superstar that no one projected him to be. Let me know when JVR breaks that no goal streak.

As others have said, the defense isn't bad at purely defending when healthy. I'll point to the top ten pk unit and shots against for proof. They're just not a good transition defense, which would explain why the 5 on 5 offense is so bad. It's quite clear that they need to either develop or bring in a couple of guys that can push the puck up the ice to compliment some really good stay at home guys (Schenn, Grossman, Coburn).

Old
03-29-2013, 11:24 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Were it in any other situation, I'd actual root for them to get Jones however I think the Avs are just too perfect for that fit. Either way, I'd be excited for them if they have the chance to land him.

That D Core is gutted. Personally I'm rooting for you guys.
You guys already have Johnson. Let us have the next number one American defenseman. Drouin would look really good on Duchene's wing though.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:24 AM
luongo321

Who needs D when you have world-stopper Bryzgalov backing them up?

Old
03-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Mark Messier
Getting To My Game

The Flyers have amazed me this year. If someone told me that Bryz would be the best Flyer this season, I would have said that the Flyers would definitely win the Atlantic.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:27 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Messier View Post
The Flyers have amazed me this year. If someone told me that Bryz would be the best Flyer this season, I would have said that the Flyers would definitely win the Atlantic.
Pretty clear you haven't been watching them enough then. Bryz has been average at best, and he's been the same old Bryz for more than his fair share of games. Voracek, Giroux, and Simmonds have been the best Flyers this year. Grossman and Schenn have been the most consistent defensemen, but they play a stay at home role, so you don't really notice the impact that they have.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:29 AM
oilersfan87

Gervais on the second pairing? I thought he wasn't even good enough to play in the NHL.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:30 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Von Grabo View Post
You can have Costco.
lolno

Old
03-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Mark Messier
Getting To My Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Pretty clear you haven't been watching them enough then. Bryz has been average at best, and he's been the same old Bryz for more than his fair share of games. Voracek, Giroux, and Simmonds have been the best Flyers this year. Grossman and Schenn have been the most consistent defensemen, but they play a stay at home role, so you don't really notice the impact that they have.
I've watched plenty of Flyers games. Philly fans blame the goalie as some sort of instinctual reflex at this point, he's been good or better almost all year. Giroux? Please, he's been invisible all season.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:41 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
I've watched plenty of Flyers games. Philly fans blame the goalie as some sort of instinctual reflex at this point, he's been good or better almost all year. Giroux? Please, he's been invisible all season.
Invisible players don't play at a PPG level. If we had a better transition defense, Giroux's five on five numbers would be much better, and he would be at the same production pace as last year.

Bryz hasn't been as bad as he was last year, but it's not even just a stats thing at this point. He still let's in some really soft goals that end up being back breakers. He doesn't have to be Lundy, but he should be expected to make the saves that 31 other starters are expected to make. He hasn't done that.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Yup, Giroux has been terrible this season but Bryz has been pretty bad for a while now. I'd say Simmonds has consistently been the best forward. Voracek was for a while but he's dropped off as of late.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:03 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Yup, Giroux has been terrible this season but Bryz has been pretty bad for a while now. I'd say Simmonds has consistently been the best forward. Voracek was for a while but he's dropped off as of late.
What kind of season would you say Richards and Carter are having if you think Giroux has been terrible, considering he's outproducing them on a terrible team? Your disdain for the organization after they traded your golden boys is clear as day at this point.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:09 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I think 29 other fan bases are just jealous they don't have Big Kurt Foster on their blue line.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:10 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
In the games I've seen, Simmonds, in particular, has been awesome. Taking shots, sticks, elbows to the face, getting right back up and putting it in the net.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:17 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
In the games I've seen, Simmonds, in particular, has been awesome. Taking shots, sticks, elbows to the face, getting right back up and putting it in the net.
Oh yeah. Flyers fans love the guy. They were excited to get him, but he's even exceeded a lot of expectations. I just wish they had a defense built around getting the pucks to these guys. Their defense provides almost nothing to help the offense. They're completely unbalanced and have too many pure stay at home types.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
qc

vCash: 2000
Poor Bryz

Old
03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
qc

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Oh yeah. Flyers fans love the guy. They were excited to get him, but he's even exceeded a lot of expectations. I just wish they had a defense built around getting the pucks to these guys. Their defense provides almost nothing to help the offense. They're completely unbalanced and have too many pure stay at home types.
He has been outstanding this year. He should have gotten the C. His passion and compete level are bar-none, the only player on that team that gives his all on every shift. G is definitely better than he was at the beginning of the year, Fartsmell is starting to look like the old Fartsmell, and considering the D-pairings and the offensive style of Lav, Bryz isn't doing as bad as Flyer fans generally suggest. Phi will be back on track next year, you just wait.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

What?

Closed Thread