HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 04:55 PM
FlowNoMo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeNorthStar View Post
Went to Total Hockey today to pick up some of these and try them out

Love being a Gold rewards member. the tacki macs were essentially free.
Really like those.

I ordered some Alkali CA5 Inline skates today. First time playing inline so I'm pretty excited.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Cowbell232

Today I... (Part 2)

So, continue if you like.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Well I got some playing time today (finally) and was boarded pretty hard, landing very hard on my elbow. I can't throw anything with much force anymore, I think something is up. I'm also a catcher in baseball, so this is pretty bad news since baseball season is coming up.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Minor Hockey is officially done.

Off to Beer League we go.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
03-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good luck!

My new league starts next Monday. I haven't gotten any communication from them at all. Hopefully that's not indicative of how the league is run overall.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:45 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah it's amazing to see the disparity in talent between top NHL'ers and grinders, and then you see the talent disparity between the grinders and "good" rec leaguers. Also, trying to project high schoolers into their NHL potential is mind boggling. I have no ability to do so.
It's legitimately incredible. During the 04-05 lockout, I was dating Lyle Odelein's niece, and he came home to play some beer league, and ended up on my team as my D partner. Mother of god, dude was a 5th or 6th defenceman, and he made the very best players in the league look foolish. I'll never forget that.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Funkmarkoflex

A guy on Facebook was looking for players in his league for this week since some people would not show up. He said they needed medium level players to low level players. I gave him my name and went to play.

When I arrived I noticed they all had top of the line gear and were all d-bags. One even wore a GoPro on his helmet. Really?

On the ice, I showed them how hockey is played with great goals and passes. I used to think people were good players based on their gear, now I won't.

But the highlight of the night went to the guy with the GoPro. I can't tell why you would wear a camera on your helmet in hockey. Isn't your head always moving and not supposed to watch the puck? Plus, the guy spent most of his time shovelling the ice. Maybe the camera was for ice prospecting, dunno...

Old
03-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Frankie Spankie

LOL, I forgot what a GoPro is until you said later in the post it was a camera. I don't know why anybody would ever wear one of those.

Today, while battling a cold, got to the rink and saw one of the screws that holds the blade to the tuuk of the skate fell off and I couldn't find the other half. I went to the skate shop at the rink and got some cheap replacement that was able to cover me for the game. I really wasn't expecting to do much at all, ended with 3 goals and an assist, 2 of those points came from leading a rush from behind my own net which I never do. Unfortunately, it was all for naught when I missed a wide open net in overtime and we ended up losing shortly after.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Reminds me of the game an opposing goalie wore one and we tried to break it off the whole time.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:26 PM
esidebill

Last night, had my first pick up game in a week. Felt like I was in a fog or something. I was constantly off balance, falling, out of position. Just a weird, weird night. I had a few decent chances, an assist or two, just felt off.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:02 PM
ShootsWide

I bought my first helmet. Bauer 7500 with a 9900 cage. Feels very comfrotable. And the cage is great. I just cant get use to wearing a cage but this one makes it easier. No more having to borrow stinky loaner helmets when I go for some stick time. I went to go shoot the puck around a little. Definitely having some trouble shooting at the rink. I dont know what it is, at home on my shooting pad I do fairly decent at raising my shot. But when I get on those skates and start moving, I just feel so out of sync and raise it at all

Old
03-28-2013, 03:37 AM
gosinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsWide View Post
Definitely having some trouble shooting at the rink. I dont know what it is, at home on my shooting pad I do fairly decent at raising my shot. But when I get on those skates and start moving, I just feel so out of sync and raise it at all
I started wearing inline skates for my pad-training, you might give that a go

Old
03-28-2013, 03:43 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
My team won our college's championship.

It's an 8 team league and our team went 3-8-1 (by far the worst team). We knocked off the 1st,2nd, and 3rd placed teams to win.

Our game tonight was a double overtime shootout win. Also the best game I've played in my life.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:23 AM
ShootsWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosinger View Post
I started wearing inline skates for my pad-training, you might give that a go
Thanks I might try that today. Either that or go back to the rink. I have 2 1/2 weeks till my first game. I just want a decent shot.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:13 PM
SCritical

Had a weird training session. first I show up to the rink and I'm locked out, because the national team had the time slot before us and it was a closed session. When I finally got in, only three other skaters showed up. Kind of sucks when Coach had planned a series of drills designed for a whole line. Basically we ended up doing warm up drills for an hour

Old
03-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Ozz

Gearing up for our championship game tonight

Old
03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
My team won our college's championship.

It's an 8 team league and our team went 3-8-1 (by far the worst team). We knocked off the 1st,2nd, and 3rd placed teams to win.

Our game tonight was a double overtime shootout win. Also the best game I've played in my life.
Congrats! U of R?

Old
03-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Gearing up for our championship game tonight
We won, 8-0 mercy with 6-7 minutes left in the 3rd.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:38 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Congrats! U of R?
U of S

Old
03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsWide View Post
I bought my first helmet. Bauer 7500 with a 9900 cage. Feels very comfrotable. And the cage is great. I just cant get use to wearing a cage but this one makes it easier. No more having to borrow stinky loaner helmets when I go for some stick time. I went to go shoot the puck around a little. Definitely having some trouble shooting at the rink. I dont know what it is, at home on my shooting pad I do fairly decent at raising my shot. But when I get on those skates and start moving, I just feel so out of sync and raise it at all
Did you say you just started learning to lift the puck?

The shooting pads have more friction so it's easier to grab the puck and lift it. One thing you can do is try some silicone spray or Pledge spray to make it slicker, that helps.

But keep at it, the mechanics are the same, you just have to adjust your height in warmups and you're good. Get that muscle memory down. I worked my ass off with shooting pads off ice for years and have a pretty good shot (the only thing I can do worth a damn).

Old
03-29-2013, 01:58 PM
McDugan

I'm not sore and exhausted after my adult skill clinic last night... conditioning must be improving!

I also made some really good D plays in our half-ice scrimmage... first time I've really felt like I was reading the play well and getting my positioning right. Of course, we're all low-level players and the pace was slow even for me, but still.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

It wasn't today...but last week Saturday I scored my first ever league goal. It was a pretty cool first goal, too, as I got a pass on the right wing and deked through the legs of the defender, dropped my left shoulder as I came across from the right on the goalie causing him to go down to his right while I shot the puck to his left and in.

Was really cool because the rest of the guys talked about it for most of the night and really made me feel good about myself considering I had squandered so many opportunities this season...I mean it's only my 5th game but still.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I made one of my best glove saves. Post-to-post and got it. Not sure if I kept it fully out. It was similar to the Nabokov save on Richards. Though, even the other team was impressed and just said it was no goal.

Though it's ball hockey, but it's in a minor league, so it's exercise and fun times.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Noel92

Today I experimented with my P92 curve (first half-decent stick) and find I get a higher and more stable shot shooting off the toe rather than going heel to toe, how I used to do it. I already shot bar up once and another shot went about 2 feet high and wide without even trying. I honestly never thought an open curve would help so much.

Very excited for when I'll be able to combine skating and shooting/stickhandling.

I also looked at some clearance hockey gloves on HockeyMonkey and TotalHockey online.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
newfr4u

had my best snipe ever yesterday. at a dropin, so obviously it's against loldefense, but i was held scoreless all night, one nice shot wide, another glances the outside of the post, third stopped by the pads. a few scrambles in the crease as well that we couldn't punch in.

next to last shift, i got the puck and instead of going down my (RW) lane, i cut and take an in-stride wrister from the high slot. noone expected it, but i see it going top shelf above the glove. happened so quick and the twine caught so silently that everyone looked around for a second trying to find the puck. it's behind the goalie!

Closed Thread