HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens chase for the presidents trophy

Old
03-29-2013, 06:41 AM
madinsomniac

vCash: 500
Pens chase for the presidents trophy

While it may be the most meaningless award in the NHL, it should be noted that for the first time the Pens are ahead of Chicago in the points race. Chicago admittedly does have several games in hand on them... but still its noteable that after a slow start the Pens have caught up with the golden boys of the first half.

The pens also have caught them in goal differential at +37.

Im not sure if i am happy with this or not. Everyone wants their team to win a lot... but i keep flashing back to 92-93... win streak... great regular season..... ISLES in the playoffs(they are tied for the 8th spot, but lose on tiebreakers as of right now......

madinsomniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:54 AM
fragmag

Win, lose, or draw...erm shootout, all I know is that this year has been one hell of a ride. Regardless of where they end up in the standing this team is just fun to watch. The expectations are so high right now, and that's the only thing that scares me. I think this team can handle the pressure quite well, I just hope it doesn't cause them to lose focus on getting the cup.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
Win, lose, or draw...erm shootout, all I know is that this year has been one hell of a ride. Regardless of where they end up in the standing this team is just fun to watch. The expectations are so high right now, and that's the only thing that scares me. I think this team can handle the pressure quite well, I just hope it doesn't cause them to lose focus on getting the cup.

I just can't imagine Iginla or Morrow losing focus; and I can't see the rest of our guys letting them down.

That isn't to say we can't lose. But I don't expect us to fall apart like last year. If we lose, we'll lose like a real hockey team.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:16 AM
fragmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I just can't imagine Iginla or Morrow losing focus; and I can't see the rest of our guys letting them down.

That isn't to say we can't lose. But I don't expect us to fall apart like last year. If we lose, we'll lose like a real hockey team.
I agree. I think this team is just so mentally strong that they won't be affected by the pressure of it all. But Iginla hasn't even put on the uniform and it's already being said that they had better win it all, blah blah. I'm not buying into the hype, just understanding that there is a pressure there.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

I want to see them play well and go into the playoffs prepared. The last thing I want to see is this team win the PT, but have nothing left in the tank for the playoffs.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:54 AM
BreakfastatMarios

March of the Penguins(DESTINY ARRIVED)

This is by far the best month of Hockey I've seen from the Penguins in a long, long time. Crazy trades, Crazy March record.

I've run out of words to describe what we are seeing on the ice and the front office, I guess all thats left is sit back and enjoy whats happening and not worry about next year, DESTINY IS HAPPENING(remember those destiny commericials from a few years back, it's arrived).

Let's keep up all the positive juju and as Pens fans enjoy being "THAT" Team that everybody is gonna hate cause they got it all.

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:58 AM
steelrazor

I realized today that if the Pens win on Saturday that they will have won every game in March. Truly has been amazing. Especially for the younger fans that did not get to watch the Pens in the early 90's.

steelrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:00 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Destiny arrived? Really?

So they won the Cup already?

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:01 AM
SirBrad

This team is special.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:01 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Let's not jinx things, huh? Maybe too late by putting "destiny" into the title....

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:02 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
: We got a great roster in general - but we are fighting for #1 spot and that's it. We are not guaranteed anything. Great teams on paper have lost a lot of times.

The video in the clubhouse should be the 1993 Pens over and over and over again.

edit: I combined these two threads as they discuss the same thing... we are looking like the best team right now.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:08 AM
BmxHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastatMarios View Post
This is by far the best month of Hockey I've seen from the Penguins in a long, long time. Crazy trades, Crazy March record.

I've run out of words to describe what we are seeing on the ice and the front office, I guess all thats left is sit back and enjoy whats happening and not worry about next year, DESTINY IS HAPPENING(remember those destiny commericials from a few years back, it's arrived).

Let's keep up all the positive juju and as Pens fans enjoy being "THAT" Team that everybody is gonna hate cause they got it all.
Church.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:10 AM
BreakfastatMarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
Let's not jinx things, huh? Maybe too late by putting "destiny" into the title....
No bad juju lol

I just mentioned that cause it was part of that big marketing campaing.

@Cole I was wondering what happened was thinking did i do something wrong.

Would love that trophy, would the Pens touch it though?

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:46 AM
madinsomniac

Yes, I think its best to keep everything low key on where they are at... Again too much like 93 in too many ways... just have a weird feeling and that was one of my great sports dissapointments. If they win the PT, they win it... its an accomplishment but not the one they want, I am sure.

To be fair, you dont hear them talking about the PT, or the potential art ross for Sid, or the potential Ricard for Kunitz, or that Letang has only played 28 games, yet still leads all defensemen in points, or fluery's wins... or any of the other individual awards or achievements that might be out there... Its cup or bust for this team...

madinsomniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Do not give a rat's ass about the President's Trophy, 15 game winning streaks or anything else. I want two things from this team and only two things:

1) Consistently strong play on both sides of the ice with established lines and pairings going into the playoffs.

2) A Cup

The rest is colored bubbles as a great actor once said.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Do not give a rat's ass about the President's Trophy, 15 game winning streaks or anything else. I want two things from this team and only two things:

1) Consistently strong play on both sides of the ice with established lines and pairings going into the playoffs.

2) A Cup

The rest is colored bubbles as a great actor once said.
I'd settle with #2

stefanh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

This destiny arrived stuff reminds me of that Ted Leonsis "we have arrived" blog after one of the Caps' winning streaks a few years ago. Let's not pull a Ted Leonsis.

I don't care about the President's Trophy and as superstitious as Sid is I wonder if he's dreading the thought of the Pens potentially winning it.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
This destiny arrived stuff reminds me of that Ted Leonsis "we have arrived" blog after one of the Caps' winning streaks a few years ago. Let's not pull a Ted Leonsis.

I don't care about the President's Trophy and as superstitious as Sid is I wonder if he's dreading the thought of the Pens potentially winning it.
of the 25 presidents trophy winners, 7 have won the cup. 3 more have made the finals.

Those are very good numbers.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

brb going to make a thread about how Kunitz and Crosby are leading the race for the +/- award.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Heisenberg Pgh

Normally I would be nervous if they won it but with the recent acquisitions I expect them to keep their focus. Although they were brough in for their skill on the ice, I think that the bigger role they will play is off the ice. These three realize that this may be their last best chance to win a cup and they will fo everything possible to keep the young guys heads in the game.

Heisenberg Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
: We got a great roster in general - but we are fighting for #1 spot and that's it. We are not guaranteed anything. Great teams on paper have lost a lot of times.

The video in the clubhouse should be the 1993 Pens over and over and over again.

I was 12 years old in 93. I didn't understand why they lost. I thought they were supposed to get the cup every year.

This could def be a let down year. I am not expecting anything. If you don't think teams ala The Bruins are going to play above their heads in the playoffs you are mistaken. Any team we play now will play above what they are capable of.

Kovifan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
I was 12 years old in 93. I didn't understand why they lost. I thought they were supposed to get the cup every year.

This could def be a let down year. I am not expecting anything. If you don't think teams ala The Bruins are going to play above their heads in the playoffs you are mistaken. Any team we play now will play above what they are capable of.
Impossible. That means they were capable of it all along.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I, for one, would be very excited to win the President's Trophy. I don't believe in superstition and I'm pretty sure there is a positive correlation between playoff seed and potential of winning the cup. For sure I want to win the cup more than the President's, but still want to get the best placement in the playoffs.

While we're at it, I'm pulling for Crosby to win the Art Ross and Hart (obviously, wouldn't know this one until after the playoffs) and for Kunitz to troll Stammer like crazy and take the Richard. The more hardware the better IMO.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:52 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Let someone else win the President's Trophy. To hell with that jinx.

Cup or bust.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Bengui

There's no such thing as a jinx. Let's win EVERYTHING

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote