HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
No. I would prefer to have Mac/Drouin + Heatherington/Hartman/Lazar + Elliott over Lindholm + Nurse.
I highly doubt Lazar would still be there at #32, but I get what your saying, if Lazar somehow did drop all the way to the 2nd round, that would be one hell of a pick up with our 2nd.

Read a good report on Heatherington to recently, he would be a solid pick up as well. But it seems like his stock has consistently been rising for a long time now. I could see him going in the late 1st.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Huberdeau may very well turn into that for them (I still think it's too early to tell)

But you're right, if FLA finishes and wins 1st overall, it's conceivable that they would target MacKinnon.

Really, as has been said numerous times, it appears that there is a clear cut Top 3, and any one of those Top 3 COULD have a case made for them to be #1. Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin all have the toolsets/skills to be selected 1st overall.
unless the idea of what a "superstar" has changed, Huberdeau looks more like a star winger in the making. His hands allow him to control the puck down low / in tight and he knows where to go to score goals but his skating, size and shot are not even close to elite. He will of course be compared to Giroux a lot but he seems to be making his living a different way in the NHL at the moment. More like a higher skilled Brunette.

Last edited by Zandar: 03-29-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 01:57 PM
IceyDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Question/scenario for you guys, wondering what you would do here.

We end up with the 2nd overall, FLA with 1st overall. The Panthers draft Jones, and, then a team comes to the Avs with this proposal:

5th Overall + 7th Overall for the 2nd Overall, 32nd overall and Stefan Elliott.

Would you guys pull the trigger on this trade?
I do it because I trust our scouts and I think there's a bigger difference between 7th overall and 32nd + Elliott than there is between 2nd and 5th overall.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Zandar

Quote:
I highly doubt Lazar would still be there at #32, but I get what your saying, if Lazar somehow did drop all the way to the 2nd round, that would be one hell of a pick up with our 2nd.

Read a good report on Heatherington to recently, he would be a solid pick up as well. But it seems like his stock has consistently been rising for a long time now. I could see him going in the late 1st.
If we do not see a top player drop into the Avs laps in the early 3rd round, hope the Avs take a look at Cammarata...especially if they get Mackinnon. He outscored Mac while with Shattuck.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:24 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Wasn't there some rumor about MacKinnon/Drouin pulling a Lindros if they were drafted by Florida?
That seems like hf rumor to me.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:29 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Mon apr 1, 2013 avalanche red wings
5:30 pm tsn2, nbcsn
tue apr 2, 2013 avalanche predators
6:00 pm alt
fri apr 5, 2013 red wings avalanche
7:00 pm alt tickets
sat apr 6, 2013 avalanche coyotes
7:00 pm alt
mon apr 8, 2013 flames avalanche
7:00 pm alt tickets
wed apr 10, 2013 avalanche ducks
8:00 pm alt2
thu apr 11, 2013 avalanche kings
8:30 pm nhln-ca, nhln-us, alt
sat apr 13, 2013 canucks avalanche
1:00 pm nhln-us, alt tickets
mon apr 15, 2013 blue jackets avalanche
7:00 pm alt2 tickets
fri apr 19, 2013 oilers avalanche
7:00 pm rds2, alt tickets
sun apr 21, 2013 blues avalanche
6:00 pm nbc, nbcsn tickets
tue apr 23, 2013 avalanche blues
6:00 pm alt
fri apr 26, 2013 avalanche coyotes
8:00 pm alt
sat apr 27, 2013 wild avalanche
5:30 pm alt tickets

I see us getting a max of 4-5 wins down the stretch. Should have a good shot at bottom three as long as other teams get some wins.

Last edited by Frenchy: 03-29-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: no need for two comments
Old
03-29-2013, 02:36 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:

I have Lazar going in the 22-26, so it is unlikely that he would fall 10 spots, but it has happened before. The point stands though that high 2nd rounder is pretty valuable and can bring in a very good player.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
That seems like hf rumor to me.
Yeah, I remember seeing it somewhere but honestly no idea where... don't think it was substantiated with a link of any sort... ignore

Although the thought of getting Jones, and then turning around and trading say Stastny for Drouin is pretty tantalizing.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Wasn't there some rumor about MacKinnon/Drouin pulling a Lindros if they were drafted by Florida?
I never heard that rumor, and since they are both playing in the Q league they would have to talk about it over here . Maybe someone else did , but as for me , that's something new to me .

Old
03-29-2013, 03:33 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Yeah, I remember seeing it somewhere but honestly no idea where... don't think it was substantiated with a link of any sort... ignore

Although the thought of getting Jones, and then turning around and trading say Stastny for Drouin is pretty tantalizing.
Nah not really. I would feel so bad for Florida fans that they got totally screwed over by their GM.
I still think that Stastny has a decent amount of trade value left (esp. because he has no NTC) but he won't come close to a top 3 pick.
Hell even ROR would probably be nowhere near enough.
We would have to trade one of Landeskog or Duchene and I don't know about you but I would kind of dislike that.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Nah not really. I would feel so bad for Florida fans that they got totally screwed over by their GM.
I still think that Stastny has a decent amount of trade value left (esp. because he has no NTC) but he won't come close to a top 3 pick.
We would have to trade one of Landeskog or Duchene and I don't know about you but I would kind of dislike that.
Yeah, wasn't so much about the value as the concept.

Moving Landeskog or Duchene, not so much as at that point you're basically just giving up years of development. But a package with Stastny as the centerpiece and another young piece (like Elliott, for example) would probably be enticing for a guy they weren't going to be able to sign.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:08 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I can see Florida, or another top 3 team ASKING for that, but no team would pay that price.

As good as these guys have the potential to be, they're still prospects, they're still unproven at the NHL level. If anything a team w/ a Top 3 pick would have to ADD to get Duchene or Landeskog, and that + would have to be something of some sort of signifigance.

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
03-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
I'm willing to make an educated guess and say Pittsburgh will draft him. We all know how much they love their Dmen in the first round.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:31 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I can see Florida, or another top 3 team ASKING for that, but no team would pay that price.

As good as these guys have the potential to be, they're still prospects, they're still unproven at the NHL level. If anything a team w/ a Top 3 pick would have to ADD to get Duchene or Landeskog, and that + would have to be something of some sort of signifigance.
I agree. And I would never trade Landy or Duchene.
But there is just no way in hell that we get our hands on such a pick otherwise.
Florida will never trade their Top 3 pick unless someone loses their mind and offers guys like Duchene or Landeskog ( I honestly am not sure that FLA would do Lando for 2nd pick).
That chance has passed with matching the offersheet (which I approve of as long as they sign him to a longterm contract).

We can not simply patch Stastny and a few talented pieces like Elliott together and honestly believe that they would take that.
Not after all those crap proposals from Toronto fans.
Quantity does not equal quality.
And a Top 3 pick is just worth way more than any piece we can afford to trade.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:11 PM
tucker3434

I guess I had always assumed that fla would take jones, but it would make a lot of sense for the to take mackinnon. Jones falls to second and drouin to third.

No way I trade any pick in the top three. There is no consolation prize there. I'd bet all three are all stars in three years. I'd take any of them.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Flow

Joe Sakic knew back in 2001 that we would be drafting him first overall in 2013.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:08 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
I guess I had always assumed that fla would take jones, but it would make a lot of sense for the to take mackinnon. Jones falls to second and drouin to third.

No way I trade any pick in the top three. There is no consolation prize there. I'd bet all three are all stars in three years. I'd take any of them.
I've always had these three in that order. I hate when a player gets injured for a dozen games and he falls from one to 2-3. He is no less the great player he was prior to the injury.

That said, WJC really had an impact... I'm still confident in Mackinnon though. Even though he is a centerman, I believe he is the best player available; and if he's not picked first (and we have second) I would go for him, no matter who FLA goes for. This IMHO.

Edit: Good story line. Would be cool to see him play for COL after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post

Joe Sakic knew back in 2001 that we would be drafting him first overall in 2013.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:17 PM
NWAvs

I think Siemens, Jones, and EJ is a good D core

Old
03-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think Mad Hunwick has graduated from being finger pointed at to being gently patted on the head. He's been pretty good in a role that is way too big for him.
I like how 'not making several major mistakes each night' is now considered "pretty good". Don't forget, playing over 21 minutes per game on the backend (tops on our team) and bringing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING offensively and being barely adequate defensively is helping us tank pretty well in itself.

Quote:
Question/scenario for you guys, wondering what you would do here.

We end up with the 2nd overall, FLA with 1st overall. The Panthers draft Jones, and, then a team comes to the Avs with this proposal:

5th Overall + 7th Overall for the 2nd Overall, 32nd overall and Stefan Elliott.

Would you guys pull the trigger on this trade?
I think it depends who I think I can get at #32 and who is likely available at #5 and #7. I think that Elliott and his potential is too steep to make that kind of deal unless because of what you're giving up at #2 versus what's available at #5 and #7. If you substitute Elliott for a 2014 3rd rounder, it's more palatable, in my opinion anyways.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:25 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

personally i am comfortable with any scenario that lands up Jones. pretty much ok with any scenario that lands us Drouin too.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:31 AM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
I think Siemens, Jones, and EJ is a good D core
I would include Barrie we just need a coach that understands that too.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:52 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post

I see us getting a max of 4-5 wins down the stretch. Should have a good shot at bottom three as long as other teams get some wins.
It's in the Avs hands now. If you only see us getting a max 4-5 wins than were good to go because other teams above us are winning games. Besides the Flames, Panthers and Philly we've created some separation, assuming we lose to the Preds.

Buffalo/Tampa/Washington are all 5 points up now. After today we'll be tied in games played as well. Everybody else out West is up 7 points.

The tank is looking strong.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:00 AM
chewey
dmitri

I want Jones for sure. Offense shouldn't be a problem heading into the future and this team, before Sacco, was top 5 - 10 in scoring once or twice with a mildly worse roster.

Defense has been **** for years.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:21 AM
PAZ

Getting Either Drouin or Jones will do wonders. We either get Jones and solve our defensive woes, or draft Drouin and trade Stastny to fix our defense. Drafting Drouin would give us enough influx of talent to role 2 strong scoring lines, rather than 3 offensive lines where usually only 1 line shows up per night.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I fist pumped upon hearing the Avs are tied for last during a fan update.

Closed Thread