HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu sent down to Hamilton (April 18th, 2013)

Old
03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
He's been playing his best hockey of the season, good time to call him up... well deserved!

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

I watched Beaulieu live a few times during the Rimouski - St-John series last year and wasn't that impressed. He wasn't bad by any mean but he wasn't standing out like i expected. I thought Gauthier - Leduc from the Oceanic looked much better

Anyway i haven't followed him at all this year so my opinion is pretty much junk and outdated. I've heard that he has improved a lot this season with Hamilton so i'm certainly curious to watch what he can do with the Habs.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:24 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

And the next contestant is... Nathan Beaulieu!

I'm sure the Habs were quite happy with Tinordi, they just want to give a chance to Beaulieu as well. And showcase him maybe? Bergevin has allowed teams to watch our top defense prospects play in the NHL, chances are he might trade one of them.

I hope he keeps both Beaulieu&Tinordi however. They are strong in the force.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:34 PM
That

Well deserved. It's been great the past month or so. Really impressed with how much his defensive game has improve, but I'm sure being paired with Pateryn has a big impact on it. He still has a ways to go, but his offensive talents are undeniable, so hopefully he's overall game continues to improve.

I hope he gets some powerplay time, I'd like to see what he can do there as Gorges isn't exactly the ideal powerplay QB.

I really like how our young defenceman have all been given a shot in the NHL, just Ellis to go now, but I'm not sure if he's ready or not. I'm looking forward to seeing Beaulieu play.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
2nd powerplay unit?
hopefully since it's where he would shine as he's dangerous on the PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
My preliminary judgment on Beaulieu is that he is a poor man's PK Subban on draft day. If you remember, PK on draft day was seen as having no defensive awareness whatsoever but a world of talent on the attack. Thanks to some maturity, experience and coaching, he's become pretty well rounded.

Beaulieu I see being much the same. Let's see how well he rounds up.
I could see him being a poor mans Subban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Can any one give us a scouting report on Nathan Beaulieu? And who would make an accurate NHL comparable to him?
He's got size, skating, speed and confidence. Moves the puck well and likes to rush it up ice. Has the mobility, skating, foot speed to cover a lot of ground. Knows what to do with the puck in the offensive zone and is willing to take risks.

On the downside he mades poor decisions in his own end with the puck, gets caught out of position a good bit and like any high flying D he's going to have his fair share of bad pinches. His defensive game reminds me of Hainsey's when he was in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Will be great to see him play in a Habs sweater.
Always good to see your 1st round picks in the NHL. This will mean all but one of the Habs 1st round picks under Timmins have appeared in an NHL game within the past 2 seasons. Beaulieu will be the 29th draft pick of Timmins to appear in an NHL game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I think this is part of a very well thought out development strategy. The club is supplying motivation, confidence and a sense of achievement for these young D-men. If they were left on the big team for too long their confidence would be demolished as their flaws would slowly but surely be exploited by opposing NHL players and coaches.

They are given a chance to experience the power and speed of the NHL while being put in relatively safe matchups. They know that it is just a temporary call up so they are not confused or dejected when they return to Hamilton. One of the hardest things to do is to have confidence that you are progressing when you can't necessarily see it from one day to the next. This is an ingenious idea to instill that confidence as the game will now come easier to them at the AHL level and they can feel better about their respective short term prospects of making the NHL. They will notice a tangible difference in their effectiveness on the ice and this is the most effective way to instill confidence in a young player.
It's certainly very interesting to see this approach. It's a refreshing change of pace and shows that the organization understands that development (along with asset management) have crippled the Habs in the past and the new management team seems intent on fixing these problems which is great to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
it must be a showcase type thing. Im not sure he has played well enough to deserve a call up....
He has played well enough.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Hope he won't be a turnover machine.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Mats86

Seeing what they have in system before trade deadline

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

I like that we're auditioning the youg dmen, it gives them a better idea Of what they need to improve to compete at the NHL level.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:55 PM
RC51

I love this move.
Bergervin is holding to his plan. Remember his plan..
Not like PG that just waited and waited and did nothing for player development.
One of the first things Bergervin told us all is that he will overhaul player development. prospects need a ton of ice time and they need to aim high and then aim even higher.
They need time in the NHL to realize the tempo, speed, roughness and the team system. Nothing teaches you faster then a few games with the big team. You go back down and bring what you learned down to the AHL. DO your 20-25min per game at the new level and you will dominate the AHL. PG did nothing of that.. MB and MT have installed a much better player development system. When Beaulieu and Tinordi come back next year for the camp. they will both look a LOT BETTER.
Galchenyuk is doing his learning this year. Next year he will show even more and produce more. I really like this about Bergervin, his management team knows hockey and how to establish a real hockey program for the prospects. This is the first year, you just wait 2-3 more years and see the improvement of ALL the prospects. Timmons is being left alone to pick without ANY interference from people like PG or even Gainey. Watch what he does this year with a ton of draft choices in a very deep draft year. Wait until you see the NEW whole prospect pool come July. It will unrecognizable to the Gainey or Gauthier years.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Poor Leblanc!!!!!!!!

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I'm actually really happy to see the Habs trying out our prospects in these trial periods to see what we have.

I'd imagine they'll play him until the deadline to see if he can fill the spot. I doubt it's to audition them to other clubs. In any case, it's good to see them come in to a winning team and show what they got.

Stoked to see what NB can do!
This approach of giving young guys 5 games is very cool on so many levels...

- good for management to assess
- good for the young players to gain NHL experience
- good for the established players (keep them on their toes)
- good for the fans on HF

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Beaulieu is better than Subban was on draft day... But didn't have the ridiculous development curve Subban had soon after.

But he's already a better defender than he was even a few months ago, and earned his shot. I guess Ellis will be next.
This.

Beaulieu is a much more fluid skater than Subban is or ever will be. If he can attain anything near the total development in his game that Subban has, Montreal's defence will have two anchors for the next decade.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
Poor Leblanc!!!!!!!!
Why ? Last time I checked, Louis Leblanc wasn't a defenseman.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Always good to see your 1st round picks in the NHL. This will mean all but one of the Habs 1st round picks under Timmins have appeared in an NHL game within the past 2 seasons. Beaulieu will be the 29th draft pick of Timmins to appear in an NHL game.
That is an AMAZING record. Only David Fischer did not make it, but was not signed, and turned into a second round pick that we flipped for a rental, so Timmins did not get a chance at redemption, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It's certainly very interesting to see this approach. It's a refreshing change of pace and shows that the organization understands that development (along with asset management) have crippled the Habs in the past and the new management team seems intent on fixing these problems which is great to see.
I am impressed with how they are handling this situation. Really impressed. Very good for confidence-building, not only for the prospects, but for the whole organization to gain confidence in the plan.

I hope that the braintrust can do something for Louis Leblanc too. If not this year, then early next year. I think he is still a solid prospect, and just needs his ankle to be a real 100%, then get his confidence back.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:08 PM
S Bah

I can't wait to see Beaulieu perform at this level during the regular season,NYR's, Carolina,Philadelphia,Winnipeg and Boston the next week.Nathan should get some good icetime against some tough opposition.Go Nathan Go!

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
hersky77

I figured this was going to happen, morgan ellis is probably going to be called up next. Bergevin wants to see if he can go with these guys or if he has to make a trade to bolster the bottom six.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Cant wait to see how he looks at the NHL level. Hopefully this also means the Gorges-Boullion pairing on the powerplay is done with.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Andy

Tinordi-Beaulieu-Pateryn-Ellis (hopefully soon)...habs defensive depth is awesome. Excited for this team in the future.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:22 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Have a feeling he is going to be wearing 28, even though he had 40 in his first training camp.

Last edited by habs03: 03-29-2013 at 02:55 PM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:27 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
I figured this was going to happen, morgan ellis is probably going to be called up next. Bergevin wants to see if he can go with these guys or if he has to make a trade to bolster the bottom six.
They will run out of time before Ellis gets a chance, in my opinion. Deadline is Wednesday.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Tinordi-Beaulieu-Pateryn-Ellis (hopefully soon)...habs defensive depth is awesome. Excited for this team in the future.
Darren Dietz may even be ahead of two of those guys. FIVE excellent D prospects, omg!

Once thing to consider is not to trade for a rental, but to flip one of these guys at the right time, in exchange for an equally promising F prospect currently with an organization that is short of D prospects.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Another memorial cup winning D !

Georges and Bouillon as captains tho.

I guess this guy is next!

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:40 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Also add Thrower and Dietz to that list of young promising dmen.. The Habs future looks good on D.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Nbhabfan

Awesome move, love the plan, expose them to the bigs, & don't forget, it also gives these young men a few extra dollars in their jeans. They'll clear in a week & a half what they get in a season in Hamilton. I know that Robert Mayer was called up for one game as the back up goalie & made an extra $5K. He's not at the same level as these guys but that extra dough was appreciated by him. This is again a CLASS organization, love it!

Nbhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Nice. If anything it might mean less Bouillon - Gorges on the 2nd PP unit.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote