HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

EHM 07 - Part 9

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
I've come to the conclusion that unless my goalie is an absolute superstar, he's going to have above a 3.00 GAA. Its annoying
It's all proper tactics meeting proper players for those tactics. I've had many recent seasons where my goalies have been on the Vezina shortlist.

And upthread a few posts, I was looking like I was gonna have a defensive season for all time (with a fairly attribute-weak defense) but the game crashed.

I started a new game with Dallas again, and I completely ruined them. Like I said before, you can't play defensively with big offensive players like Whitney and Jagr that's for sure (picked 2nd overall in that draft...). I blew up the Stars (at the deadline I just sold off all the rentals for picks and prospects...Whitney, Jagr, Roy, I had Beauchemin and dumped him, Fiddler, Nystrom, etc., etc.). I didn't trade Morrow (the relationship didn't sour like it did in real life, I'll keep him until he retires or wants out), or Robidas (he said he was "proud to be playing for the team" even when we were in last, which I respect enough to keep him).

I had to dump Jamie Benn too, unfortunately, in the first 10 games of the year, I believe his average rating was 4.60 (not a typo). I've never seen a player so not fit for my systems before. I moved him around the lineup a little and tried to get that number back up, but by the time the trade deadline came around, I just had to do it. Which I wasn't proud of, but he just didn't fit at all...

I think I started the year 0-9-1 or something like that. My tactics just didn't fit the players at all. But I'm unwilling to play offensively, too easy...

Started the next season with a fresh start and thought, "now I'll get my guys in here and make a really good defensive team just like before..." ...yeah, no. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm 14th in the West. I just can't find the right combination of forwards right now for some reason. Players that looked like they would work, just don't...

Zack Smith, for instance, looks like he'd be a dead ringer for my system...he was a 5.64 last year as a 3rd and 4th line center. Easily lost his job to Mathieu Tousignant at the end of the year.

My last 10 or 15 games, I've been really getting it going defensively, having really strong results. This one: I just flat out suck. I'll give myself til the end of the season to show signs of progression and if I can't do it, I'll probably resign and go to the minors where I belong...

Oh, and to the recent post: I also claimed Turris off waivers in my game (I'm hurting for centers for some reason), I use him on the right wing of my third line and on the power play and he's absolutely killing it. His rating I think is up above 7.5 and last I saw he was near a point per game. And it's definitely not because of my power play, which I think is below 5.0%

Like I said, this save has been my worst since my first few when I first started the game years and years ago...nothing is going right for me. Except my PK, that's it.

Old
03-29-2013, 03:21 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Just how defensive do you play ?

Old
03-31-2013, 04:38 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 825
Curious about your teams... I've started playing my main Habs file again. I've noticed whenever I have a good team, my top 2 d-man usually ride 8.5-9+ ratings for the year, but then my 2nd and 3rd pairs usually only get about mid 7s tops... do you guys have lots of your guys in your line-ups with really good ratings? What would be a good rating to expect for a 2nd pairing? My 2nd line of forwards usually is in the 8s at least.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I don't think the ratings thing is that big a deal. The way it's calculated is skewed heavily to points and hits. Your second pairing is naturally gonna get fewer points, thus lower ratings. Mid 7's for a 2nd pairing is good.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:49 PM
ToastCharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Curious about your teams... I've started playing my main Habs file again. I've noticed whenever I have a good team, my top 2 d-man usually ride 8.5-9+ ratings for the year, but then my 2nd and 3rd pairs usually only get about mid 7s tops... do you guys have lots of your guys in your line-ups with really good ratings? What would be a good rating to expect for a 2nd pairing? My 2nd line of forwards usually is in the 8s at least.
This is usually what happens to me. I'm usually happy if my second pairing is pulling 7.50+.

Man, my goalies must hate me. I love running an offensive game so my goalies are usually under .900 save percentage. Poor guys.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:35 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I don't think the ratings thing is that big a deal. The way it's calculated is skewed heavily to points and hits. Your second pairing is naturally gonna get fewer points, thus lower ratings. Mid 7's for a 2nd pairing is good.
Ah yes, why didn't I think of that The game has it's funny little quirks. I'm usually happy with my guys, as long as they're not putting up too many 5s/6s in the NHL, then I'm good.

Also, check this out:

Funny thing is, Frank Kramer and Radek Kapicka were drafted and developed by me never had so many all-stars.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
ToastCharger

What do you guys usually look for in players for the draft? I usually go with who my Head Scout gives 5 stars to but they usually bust...

Old
04-01-2013, 12:49 AM
DanltQC

EHM is such a great game! Hope TBL will get a new roster update soon, because a lot of changes has happened since the start of the season!

Old
04-01-2013, 08:35 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

TBL will likely update the rosters after the trade deadline.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastCharger View Post
What do you guys usually look for in players for the draft? I usually go with who my Head Scout gives 5 stars to but they usually bust...
Anticipation, determination, decent technical attributes, good mental stats if I can... and I hope they have decent physical attributes too.

I look into their scouting report and see what their career role looks to be or who they look to be like but I don't just base it on that.

Old
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
WhoahNow

Quote:
The draft and watching prospects develop is my favorite part of this game! Normally what I do first is set up the scouts to try and get the best coverage for prospects. I'll try and remember how I set them up:

-ohl
-whl
-qmjhl
-north america (16 to 19 year olds)
-Scandinavia (16- 19 year olds)
-youth prospects (2 scouts)
-entry draft (use my head scout for this)

I tend to try and draft Canadian/US/Swedish/Finnish/Swiss players with the odd Russian, Norwegian or Czech.

I try to have all of the scouts in those fields have high judge of potential, high judge of ability, and good ability to work with youngsters.

I'll have my top few guys scout the top 100 prospects or so individually at each of the ISS rankings.

Then for actually drafting players I look at their projected roles and player comparisons. Try and find the highest projected player who plays like a player I want on my team.

Usually try and get players with high determination and consistency as they tend to develop quicker. If two players are both projected to be top line players in play styles that I like I'll see who has better technical, physical, etc stats and see who I like better from that. Usually try and get one or two guys in the last few rounds with sweet names from Norway or Switzerland haha.

I don't just draft whoever my head scout/assistant gm/head coach recommend. When it's my turn to draft I look at about 20 or so players still on the board and look for whoever I like best. Usually isn't who they recommend, sometimes I want to fill an organizational need or have identified a guy who I want earlier than what he is ranked.

Edit: Also even though they may be projected to be a first line player, if their play style is similar to Shawn Thornton I don't draft them, I try and find first line potential players who play similar to actual first line players.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
ToastCharger

Thanks for the responses guys. Went through the draft last night and was really looking for guys who had high determination. There was someone in the sixth round (I think) who had 20 determination as well as other decent mental stats, so I'm hoping he develops.

I'll let you guys know how I did once I get through some more seasons. Just half-way through the next one at the moment.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:41 PM
RO8

I only scout the draft and basically scout by eye during the draft. After a couple drafts it gets easy to see that some prospects are just a cut above the rest around them. Make sure to check their consistency. Also when the CHL vs RUS games come along check the rosters for good upcoming talent as well as the world junior teams. Just add them to your scouting list so they show up in the draft list, makes draft day easier.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Wow, furthest I've ever gotten in a file... Sidney Crosby retired... in 2029. Fedor is 38 this year, a few more years and he'll retire and I can finally go back to junior or overseas or somewhere new. Caps have an awesome young regen center with nothing less than a yellow stat (most green)... he'd be a good guy to build a franchise around.

Whenever I'd get bored of my Habs team, I'd just start files with different DBs for a little while and then go back to my main file eventually.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

One of my biggest determining factors in drafting is size. I rarely draft anyone under 6' tall. They need crazy technicals and speed for me to consider it. Bigger players get better ratings, have better morale and are more consistent because of it.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:05 PM
RO8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
One of my biggest determining factors in drafting is size. I rarely draft anyone under 6' tall. They need crazy technicals and speed for me to consider it. Bigger players get better ratings, have better morale and are more consistent because of it.
I agree if I have a couple guys at one spot I look to both size and speed, size fist though as I have seen some pretty bad skaters have decent careers.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
ToastCharger

I went with Valery Nichushkin in the 2013 draft (28th overall) and this is what he looks like right now:

First line potential, slower version of Kyle Okposo. Hopefully he turns out!

Old
04-03-2013, 11:24 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Just started this again, in Bathrust of the Q...5.0 rosters.. Lowered the cap lol.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:14 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

My question is, i want to play old school and play from the 2006-2007 season but i want to put all of my teams draft picks into the game... The question is

If i put in the staff attributes for the players and the CA and PA that the updated roster has but leave the stats as 0 because most of them might be 14-16 yr olds and such it wont make them crazy good by the time they are 18 will it?

Old
04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
My question is, i want to play old school and play from the 2006-2007 season but i want to put all of my teams draft picks into the game... The question is

If i put in the staff attributes for the players and the CA and PA that the updated roster has but leave the stats as 0 because most of them might be 14-16 yr olds and such it wont make them crazy good by the time they are 18 will it?
Go on EHMtheblueline and get their Unfaked database... UUDB, I think it's called. It starts with 2006-2007 but it has a lot of newer prospect names in the DB at their real age for 2006-2007.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Just how defensive do you play ?
Very...?

Just a follow-up on that season.

It's game 41 and I'm dead last in the Western Conference...again. So I figure my problem is center depth...just not enough quality centerman to drive puck possession and work the middle of the ice and all that...so I upgrade my centers and make a couple of tweaks. But I'm mostly in sell mode...again.

My first game after the deadline I get a shutout. So, pretty cool...little did I know it would start a trend...

I end up going 17-3-1 after the deadline. Kari Lehtonen goes 17-2-1, 1.71 GAA, .929 save pct. and 6 SO down the stretch for me. Despite being in last half the year, he finishes top-8 (I forget where exactly, I think 4th in one category and 6th in another) in GAA and save pct., leads the league in shutouts (9). And on the last day of the regular season, I beat the 9th place team to secure the 8th spot. We ride the momentum all the way to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals before losing to Buffalo.

The board is now "pleased" with my performance...yeah, thanks. Appreciate it.

I had two rookies on the blueline logging like 20 minutes a night after the deadline, they played great. One finished second for the Calder. I had one player finish 2nd for the Hart which was cool, Loui Eriksson was second for the Lady Byng, Kari Lehtonen was on that 5-man shortlist for the Vezina that you vote on (he finished 3rd in the voting). And I think Lehtonen finished 2nd in Conn Smythe voting despite losing in six games in the Finals.

I tried to come up with a feasible number of seasons I've played in this game. I have to believe it's at least several hundred...probably closer to 1000 though...and I'm not sure any of have been this exhilarating. I've never gone from dead last at the half way point, 14th (I think, or pretty close) at the trade deadline and not only made the playoffs but also went all the way to the Cup Finals.

So hopefully this next season (just getting through training camp/preseason, which I really take my time with...award roster spots on merit) I'll be able to duplicate my unbelievable start that I had when my game crashed. It was a .949 save pct. start through 12 games or some such for my goalie. It was looking to be pretty amazing.

Here's hoping...

Old
04-06-2013, 11:17 AM
ToastCharger

Found this guy in my most recent draft after my Blues choked in the West Finals for the second consecutive year.

The determination stat is kind of iffy, but this draft was weak and this guy shined like a real gem (he was ranked somewhere around 140, got him in the 3rd round).

Scout report has him listed as second line potential but like Pavel Datsyuk. Needless to say, I'm excited to see this guy develop.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:41 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Found this guy in my most recent draft after my Blues choked in the West Finals for the second consecutive year.

The determination stat is kind of iffy, but this draft was weak and this guy shined like a real gem (he was ranked somewhere around 140, got him in the 3rd round).

Scout report has him listed as second line potential but like Pavel Datsyuk. Needless to say, I'm excited to see this guy develop.
He's good enough in the fact he's got no reds but I wouldn't be surprised if he did infact top out as a 2nd line scorer with little defense. Not that it isn't needed sometimes, just don't expect an actual Pavel Datsyuk (1st line magician).

Old
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
ToastCharger

Even if it turns out he'll only be a second liner I'll be okay with that. Much better than the limited potential players that I was seeing in the third round.

Last edited by ToastCharger: 04-06-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old
04-06-2013, 02:47 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Most definitely. I've gotten some 2nd liners out of the 6th/7th rounds but only a few times.

My thing now is I get iffy about guys with bad physical stats because those don't really improve in my experience. Especially the guys who end up always getting tired after games. I've started to trade away incredible first line guys because they always tire out after games and it was getting annoying to always make them rest in practice.

Once you get into the later years of the game when there's more regens, you can snag a bunch of really good guys. Here's a guy I drafted in the 3rd round, said to be similar to a Swedish regen who has mostly greens:

Last edited by irunthepeg: 04-06-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Closed Thread