HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
So who's the owner for the new Seattle NHL team? Any confirmed group. Before any of the latest relocations, we all knew the suitors for that city.
it's expected to be levin or some levin/hansen partnership.
chicago bussinessman who wants to own an NHL team and doesnt care where it is (but curiously hasnt been interested in buying the yotes and keeping them in arizona) This quote may explain that part though, he is a businessman after all.
Quote:
"There are those (NHL) teams that make a lot of money, there are teams that lose a lot of money and there are teams that sort of break even," Levin said. "(Breaking even) is fine with me. It's not to make money. I just don't want to lose money."

here's an article: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...tanley-cup-nhl

Last edited by danishh: 03-27-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Guyle Fielder Rules

Quote:
So who's the owner for the new Seattle NHL team? Any confirmed group. Before any of the latest relocations, we all knew the suitors for that city.
We don't know. There are possibles who have been speculated about in this thread (I'm a long-time lurker who finally figured out how to post on here). But I would doubt you hear anything until after the Kings stuff is settled.

We'll hear either that there is a group that has been working with Hansen behind the scenes, or we'll hear that isn't set up yet which will then pretty clearly indicate that the 'Yotes are headed to Quebec City to be Les Nordiques part Deux.

We'll know something in just a bit more than two weeks.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Guyle Fielder Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
it's expected to be levin or some levin/hansen partnership.
chicago bussinessman who wants to own an NHL team and doesnt care where it is (but curiously hasnt been interested in buying the yotes and keeping them in arizona) This quote may explain that part though, he is a businessman after all.

here's an article: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...tanley-cup-nhl
I very much doubt it'll be Don Levin who owns an NHL team in Seattle. He burned almost every bridge with Hansen when he pursued a competing arena deal in Bellevue. I would expect Hansen is working with others on an NHL group. He had said he'd be willing to be a minority owner, but not majority.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:04 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyle Fielder Rules View Post
I very much doubt it'll be Don Levin who owns an NHL team in Seattle. He burned almost every bridge with Hansen when he pursued a competing arena deal in Bellevue. I would expect Hansen is working with others on an NHL group. He had said he'd be willing to be a minority owner, but not majority.
Levin is still a key player in bringing NHL to seattle.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:01 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Where are these bridges he has burned? Care to provide links or more insight? They were never competing because Bellevue never really got off the ground.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
There is suppose to be a key arena related document coming out next month in preparations for sonics returning for the 13-14 season. May have something regarding NHL in it.
Hansen has already specified improvements he would make to Key to prepare for NHL as part of his agreement with city/county.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Guyle Fielder Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Where are these bridges he has burned? Care to provide links or more insight? They were never competing because Bellevue never really got off the ground.
http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/202...shockey22.html

Hansen and Levin have not been in contact, as of January. Levin was of the belief that he was working with others on a team. I guess that could have changed, but I doubt it. When you try and undercut complicated half-billion dollar arena investments, people don't want to work with you. If he is to be the owner of a Seattle NHL team, he has some serious amends to make. And there are bunch of other rich guys in Seattle.

So, there is no reason to believe that Levin is a key player, or any player, in bringing the NHL to Seattle at this point in time.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:27 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:

Hansen and Levin have not been in contact, as of January. Levin was of the belief that he was working with others on a team. I guess that could have changed, but I doubt it. When you try and undercut complicated half-billion dollar arena investments, people don't want to work with you. If he is to be the owner of a Seattle NHL team, he has some serious amends to make. And there are bunch of other rich guys in Seattle.

So, there is no reason to believe that Levin is a key player, or any player, in bringing the NHL to Seattle at this point in time.
You are making assumptions from an article in January where I see no bridges burned other than Levin saying he had not been in contact with Hansen. A lot has happened since and as we know Hansen does not announce publicly much. I would not be surprised at all if Levin is involved with Hansen.

After all Hansen is the only game in town now and if Levin wants an NHL franchise guess who can help him.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Guyle Fielder Rules

Quote:
You are making assumptions from an article in January where I see no bridges burned other than Levin saying he had not been in contact with Hansen. A lot has happened since and as we know Hansen does not announce publicly much. I would not be surprised at all if Levin is involved with Hansen.

After all Hansen is the only game in town now and if Levin wants an NHL franchise guess who can help him.
I don't think that the last thing we heard from Don Levin is "making assumptions." Seems more like reading to me. And I don't understand why Levin not being involved is a threat. It's not. Not to possibly buying the Coyotes if they relocate (or another team) or to receive an expansion team. He's not the only hope to rally around.

We all hope to see the NHL in Seattle soon, so I have no further desire to argue about this. Congrats on getting Iginla, by the way.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:12 AM
gstommylee

http://www.king5.com/sports/Hansen-g...200298571.html

Latest on Kings.

The last few paragraphs are most interest hansen is taking aim at the arena plan based on a old study that was done that the City of sacramento " some how " lost.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:52 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
I don't think that the last thing we heard from Don Levin is "making assumptions." Seems more like reading to me. And I don't understand why Levin not being involved is a threat. It's not. Not to possibly buying the Coyotes if they relocate (or another team) or to receive an expansion team. He's not the only hope to rally around.

We all hope to see the NHL in Seattle soon, so I have no further desire to argue about this. Congrats on getting Iginla, by the way.
You're reading too much into that article. Levin is an NHL insider and a pre-approved owner. He knows the inner workings of the league and how to conduct himself. If anything is happening with Seattle and the Coyotes it will all be behind the scenes. I would not count Levin out.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:30 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:

Not arguing at all just saying I would not be surprised at all if he is involved somehow.

Getting Iginla, now what a crazy evening! Hate to be a Flames fan tonight. Doesn't seem right.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:34 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Interesting info: Darren Dreger just said on the Habs game on TSN that there is a good chance the Coyotes move, and that the most likely destination is Québec City. He said Key Arena is not suitable for NHL hockey. So Seattle wont get the Coyotes if they move this year.
And others have said that Key Arena is not a problem. Point being, no one knows.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:37 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Playing in an unsuitable arena for several years as the fourth or fifth game in town makes even less sense, no?
2 years that several people in the know has stated is workable (Elliotte Friedman, Deputy Commisioner Daly, Don Levin).

This 4th or 5th game in town doesn't make any sense, it is not like it is going to be competing with Baseball/Football. Really its main competition will be the NBA, but the thought that Hansen would also be a minority owner in the NHL, and the potential creation of a RSN means $$$$$$$$ for everyone.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:44 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

Hansen is a business man, he is not going to turn away Levin if Levin makes sense as a NHL owner.

'A bunch of other rich guys' in Seattle? You want a Owner that actually has a passion for Hockey. You don't want another Yamauchi.

Levin stated that he would sitll like to be a part of NHL franchise in Seattle. He knows for that to happen he has to make 'amends'. But this is business, does he have to make amends because he tried to get a competing arena in?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
2 years that several people in the know has stated is workable (Elliotte Friedman, Deputy Commisioner Daly, Don Levin).

This 4th or 5th game in town doesn't make any sense, it is not like it is going to be competing with Baseball/Football. Really its main competition will be the NBA, but the thought that Hansen would also be a minority owner in the NHL, and the potential creation of a RSN means $$$$$$$$ for everyone.
Sure it does... it competes for consumers' and sponsors' money.

Not to beat this dead horse, but 6 of the top 7 NHL teams in gate revenue (and most likely 7 of the top 8 including Winnipeg) are Canadian teams. NYR is the only American team in that group. That means when the U.S. dollar is weak, it is difficult for all U.S. markets to compete with Canadian markets in terms of gate revenues. Being the fourth or fifth most popular team in a market doesn't help in that endeavor.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Interesting info: Darren Dreger just said on the Habs game on TSN that there is a good chance the Coyotes move, and that the most likely destination is Québec City. He said Key Arena is not suitable for NHL hockey. So Seattle wont get the Coyotes if they move this year.
I would listen to the quote again. In regards to Key Arena he said "Key Arena is not ready and may not be ready". He also said "Relax, we're not saying the NHL will be in Quebec as early as next season - but it is possible. And it's also possible that they'll make a decision (the league) on relocation in the next few weeks."

The conclusion: Quebec may have the persieved advantage, but they are not the clear cut destination. Key Arena is not ready for an NHL game tomorrow, but I'm sure if there was a directive to "make it ready", it could happen. Keep in mind the playoffs will start after the NBA has made a decision regarding the Sacromento Kings, which will have a major bearing on where the Coyotes end up.

Look at it this way, I live in Calgary and went to bed last night expecting Jerome Iginla to be a Bruin, only to wake up and find out he's a Penguin. If the history of the Coyotes saga has proven anything, it's that nobody can jump to any conclusions. Don't forget of the last two playoff runs where there were press conferences with the supposed future owners of the Phoenix Coyotes - two different owners in two different seasons and neither of them have ended up closing the deal.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:00 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Not arguing at all just saying I would not be surprised at all if he is involved somehow.

Getting Iginla, now what a crazy evening! Hate to be a Flames fan tonight. Doesn't seem right.
My reading of the article that Guyle posted is the same one he came to - I would be surprised if Levin ended up being the NHL owner in Seattle. It just doesn't add up to me.

"He said he would remain interested in helping Hansen get a team, but said, "I have had no (recent) contact with Chris. He has probably worked with some other people."

""When I spoke to him at some point in the past, he said there were other people interested, so I'm sure he is (pursuing a team with other owners)," Levin said."

Sometimes you just need to take stuff at face value. Sounds like there are groups working behind the scenes that haven't come forward publicly yet.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:03 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
I would listen to the quote again. In regards to Key Arena he said "Key Arena is not ready and may not be ready". He also said "Relax, we're not saying the NHL will be in Quebec as early as next season - but it is possible. And it's also possible that they'll make a decision (the league) on relocation in the next few weeks."

The conclusion: Quebec may have the persieved advantage, but they are not the clear cut destination. Key Arena is not ready for an NHL game tomorrow, but I'm sure if there was a directive to "make it ready", it could happen. Keep in mind the playoffs will start after the NBA has made a decision regarding the Sacromento Kings, which will have a major bearing on where the Coyotes end up.

Look at it this way, I live in Calgary and went to bed last night expecting Jerome Iginla to be a Bruin, only to wake up and find out he's a Penguin. If the history of the Coyotes saga has proven anything, it's that nobody can jump to any conclusions. Don't forget of the last two playoff runs where there were press conferences with the supposed future owners of the Phoenix Coyotes - two different owners in two different seasons and neither of them have ended up closing the deal.
My opinion on the matter is the NHL won't even consider Seattle unless the new arena is finalized (i.e. the Kings sale and relo is announced). When that is done middle of next month watch the NHL's tune on Key Arena change because at that point it goes from permanent venue (not viable) to temp venue (viable).

That doesn't mean the Coyotes will come to Seattle ... I could easily see them moving to QC still but if the NBA does officially announce it is coming back to Seattle things change dramatically.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-28-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: No No
Old
03-28-2013, 11:49 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Sure it does... it competes for consumers' and sponsors' money.

Not to beat this dead horse, but 6 of the top 7 NHL teams in gate revenue (and most likely 7 of the top 8 including Winnipeg) are Canadian teams. NYR is the only American team in that group. That means when the U.S. dollar is weak, it is difficult for all U.S. markets to compete with Canadian markets in terms of gate revenues. Being the fourth or fifth most popular team in a market doesn't help in that endeavor.
Well thank god we have 2 of the top 25 TV markets in the northwest that will generate a large TV contract.

I would say at least in Seattle, large portions of Mariner fans like to go to the baseball park are not for the most part hardcore sports fans. Many go to games to sit out in the sun, and enjoy the weather. NHL is going to be the 3rd team in the market for sports fans.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
My opinion on the matter is the NHL won't even consider Seattle unless the new arena is finalized (i.e. the Kings sale and relo is announced). When that is done middle of next month watch the NHL's tune on Key Arena change because at that point it goes from permanent venue (not viable) to temp venue (viable).

That doesn't mean the Coyotes will come to Seattle ... I could easily see them moving to QC still but if the NBA does officially announce it is coming back to Seattle things change dramatically.
To a certain degree, the NHL tune has been to give Key Arena the benefit of the doubt in terms of a temp venue.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
To a certain degree, the NHL tune has been to give Key Arena the benefit of the doubt in terms of a temp venue.
Agreed - my point was right now it wouldn't be a temp venue since the Seattle deal on the new arena doesn't become official until an NBA team is secured ... with the meeting on the Sonics/Kings sale set for 4/3 that could be complete as soon as next week and once that happens the Key does become a temp venue.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Agreed - my point was right now it wouldn't be a temp venue since the Seattle deal on the new arena doesn't become official until an NBA team is secured ... with the meeting on the Sonics/Kings sale set for 4/3 that could be complete as soon as next week and once that happens the Key does become a temp venue.
For sure, I agree. The entire premise of a NHL to Seattle discussion has been based on a new arena and the Kings sale & relocation would make that a reality.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:23 PM
gstommylee

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/to-a...-gold-faithful

Update from Hansen.

He talks about the sonic rings in the upper part of the arena

Last edited by gstommylee: 03-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 03:04 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Awesome!!!

Closed Thread