HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Dylan McIlrath (2010, 10th overall, Rangers)

Old
03-29-2013, 12:52 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
remember when they rangers could've drafted fowler or gormley?

Yeah but I highly doubt Gormley will be better than McDonagh or Staal. Fowler has more upside than Del Zotto but not by much. I don't think its a big deal really its not like Fowler is in contention for the Norris.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Bump:

How has McIlrath's progression been
from what I've heard from CT fans he's doing well. Could be ready next yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Duffman955

Mclrath looks like a poor man's L.Schenn

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Mclrath looks like a poor man's L.Schenn
This is probably accurate. He should be a nice bottom pair guy in the future.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Jonas1235

I think he could be like Brad Stuart.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
I think he could be like Brad Stuart.
Mcilrath will likely never be the skater Stuart is, and he is already 100x more physical. If he can be competent defensively while bringing big time, Lucic level toughness, i think the rangers will be satisfied with that.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Two years away from being the next Adam McQuaid defensively, and one of the more feared fighters in the league if all goes right.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Tecumseh
Scorched Earth

I figured I'd bump this since he's making his NHL debut against Columbus. I haven't been impressed with him so far. He made a bad decision that lead to the second goal for the Blue Jackets.

Tecumseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Two years away from being the next Adam McQuaid defensively, and one of the more feared fighters in the league if all goes right.
More like Wade Belak but there is always hope. Dinosaur of a pick.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Captain Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Yeah but I highly doubt Gormley will be better than McDonagh or Staal. Fowler has more upside than Del Zotto but not by much. I don't think its a big deal really its not like Fowler is in contention for the Norris.
I agree that it is unlikely that Gormley will be better than Staal or McDonagh but he certainly could be the same caliber of player as both of those guys. He is outstanding and should have a really good pro career, glad to see that Phoenix isn't rushing him to the pros. I think he'll have a career thats a little bit like Marc Edouard Vlasic of the Sharks, thats who his game reminds me of...

As far as Fowler is concerned, be careful what you predict, Fowler is kind of quietly having his best season as a pro and is arguably a top 10 defenceman in the league this year, a year in which no one has really stolen the show as far as Norris consideration. Karlsson is having a shaky defensive year, PK will be in the hunt again and Byfuglien & Keith are also having a very nice year at D but Fowler for Norris is not nearly as far fetched notion as it used to be. He is a +6 with 19 points and a top 10 Corsi rating. He is anaheim's best defenseman and his D has improved immensely to go along with that sick skating ability.

Captain Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 07:09 AM
richardsequalscup*

McIlrath brings something none of those prospects do. The ability to pummel people and discourage his teammates from getting cheapshotted while playing a regular shift. It will take McIlrath 2 NHL pro season to really become solid defensively IMO. However, when he does that which I think he will, the Rangers won't have to put out a worthless goon on a 4th line which destroys the offense of that line. That is a huge asset to have.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Isn't he a defenseman?

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Carl33

Quote:
Isn't he a defenseman?
Yes, I think his point is that the rangers will play with skill on the fourth line instead of playing a goon like mashinster, beacause Mclrath will be on the 3rd D pairing and do the goon job + defensive play

Carl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Always Sunny*

Bump.

So is this kid gonna be a player?
I was pretty ahem.. surprised when the Rangers took him at 10th overall, considering they passed on Cam Fowler for him.
Judging by his AHL numbers he seems to be nothing more than a gon at best in the future but I haven't seen him play so can't really say anything about his actual hockey skills.
So is he a stud in his own zone or is there anything in his game that could justify his draft position in the future?

Always Sunny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny View Post
Bump.

So is this kid gonna be a player?
I was pretty ahem.. surprised when the Rangers took him at 10th overall, considering they passed on Cam Fowler for him.
Judging by his AHL numbers he seems to be nothing more than a gon at best in the future but I haven't seen him play so can't really say anything about his actual hockey skills.
So is he a stud in his own zone or is there anything in his game that could justify his draft position in the future?
He had a lot of goons coming to fight him early in the season and so racked up a bunch of penalty minutes. That settled down after awhile and he's not doing as much fighting anymore. Over the last part of the season he seems to be playing an effective game as one of the top D in Hartford.

He's never going to put up points like Fowler, but he's big, tough, moves well for a large player, and has decent skills. He has been progressing alright and is in line to push for a roster spot next year.

That said the Rangers should have taken Tarasenko, and McIlrath will probably never be as "good" as Tarasenko and Fowler. He was definitely more of a project and is coming along but still not terribly happy about the pick

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He had a lot of goons coming to fight him early in the season and so racked up a bunch of penalty minutes. That settled down after awhile and he's not doing as much fighting anymore. Over the last part of the season he seems to be playing an effective game as one of the top D in Hartford.

He's never going to put up points like Fowler, but he's big, tough, moves well for a large player, and has decent skills. He has been progressing alright and is in line to push for a roster spot next year.

That said the Rangers should have taken Tarasenko, and McIlrath will probably never be as "good" as Tarasenko and Fowler. He was definitely more of a project and is coming along but still not terribly happy about the pick
He has a unique skill set that the rest of the rangers D don't have. However if NYR had drafted Fowler they would be icing by far the best defense in the league. As of right now they only have a top 5 d unit.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:05 AM
giddy up*

This was the David Clarkson of draft picks. Everyone knew it was a terrible decision at the time (even their own fans), and what do you know...it was a terrible choice

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 02:08 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
This was the David Clarkson of draft picks. Everyone knew it was a terrible decision at the time (even their own fans), and what do you know...it was a terrible choice
I'd bet my life savings that you haven't watched so much as a single AHL game this season involving McIlrath. He's been Hartford's best defenseman and he's in his first real professional year.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
I'd bet my life savings that you haven't watched so much as a single AHL game this season involving McIlrath. He's been Hartford's best defenseman and he's in his first real professional year.
Meanwhile Fowler has been the best defenseman on the second best team in the NHL in his third NHL year.

That's the problem. McIlrath will always not be Cam Fowler.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Gliff
Salty

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
The question isnt how good he will be. It's how much better Fowler is and will be.

This isn't the situation of the Ducks picking a gem that noone expected. They took the obvious choice that the Rangers should have taken and it has gone just about how everyone expected.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Kevin27nyi
HoSanity

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
The question isnt how good he will be. It's how much better Fowler is and will be.

This isn't the situation of the Ducks picking a gem that noone expected. They took the obvious choice that the Rangers should have taken and it has gone just about how everyone expected.
Yep. It was pretty nuts for Fowler to fall to ten at the time, much less get passed over again for McIlrath.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:12 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27nyi View Post
Yep. It was pretty nuts for Fowler to fall to ten at the time, much less get passed over again for McIlrath.
I think McIlrath will end up somewhere between a Matt Carkner to Hal Gill type, which isn't a bad player but he will always have that shadow that hey we drafted this guy instead of Fowler, until he leaves the Rangers. The bad part of Hal Gill types is they generally don't find their niche till their mid to late 20s(so by time the Rangers put all that time into developing him, he probably will be close to UFA range)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Xokkeu

I just remember Fowler being a lock for #3 and then you see Florida and New York take other dmen and you know they'll always be compared. It wasn't a case of a player coming out of nowhere like Duncan Keith.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:42 PM
eco's bones

Situations are different. Not sure where Fowler would be with his game if he were drafted by the Rangers. He would definitely have gone back to juniors the season after he was drafted and probably the next one after that as well. He would have been dealing with Torts--and Torts wants his d-men to prove that they can play in their own end--to block shots and to hit--to sacrifice their bodies. Under AV this year he might/probably would be 2nd pair. McDonagh-Girardi is one of the best defense pairings in the league. Marc Staal is a legit shutdown d-man. He wouldn't be taking any ice time away from them.

The Rangers could use a pwp quarterback. McDonagh is going in that direction. Rangers could also use a bit of mean and nasty on their team--McIlrath should one day provide quite a lot of that. The team in the East is the Bruins and the player on the Bruins that gives our defense the most fits is Lucic. Last year's playoffs Lucic constantly was in our crease area and the Rangers were unable to move him away. The defense continuously collapsed around him when he was on the ice and it caused a lot of havoc and goals against. Fowler would not be the answer to that. Fowler would probably help our pwp--though there is a caveat--we don't have a Getzlaf or a Perry.

This is not to **** on Fowler. The situation in Anaheim IMO though was a much better one for him to be in.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 08:43 PM
bossram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post

This. McIlrath was a terrible choice at the time. It's worse now.

Fowler was the obvious, correct choice.

bossram is offline   Reply With Quote