Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 11:50 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
Didn't stop Khedira or Ozil but who we kidding? Hummels will go to the undisputed best league the EPL possible to Arsenal.
Even though those players are great, they're only two Germans.

Nah, we prefer buying 13 year olds from France that recently converted from rugby to football.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:28 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
What is Catalan to be exact? Like a mixture of French and Spanish? Or a whole new language entirely?
It's a different language but it takes its roots in Castillan and French.
As a french though I have difficulties understanding just from hearing it (and I do understand spanish). It's easier when it's written.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:51 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
That doesn't stop South Americans from going to the UK or Germany. Which, I'm sure the language barrier is just as bad. Many people in Barcelona prefer to speak Catalan too.

Picking up functional Spanish is not that difficult, especially for somebody who has nearly unlimited funds to pay for a tutor, programs, etc.
This is a poor example imo. I mean how often do we hear about these Spanish/Latin American players hating (Manchester most recently) England and wanting out to go home.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I know, but it never stops them from going there in the first place even though they later regret it. And how many of them take a higher wage to stay?

Old
03-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Still don't know why any footballer wouldn't play in Italy if given the chance. It's perfect.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:55 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Not disagreeing with you here, as Spanish is one of more easier languages to learn, but again if I was as goo as Hummels, I would rather move South to Munich than to another country.
Well Bayern already discarded Hummels once, I doubt he's eager to go back anytime soon.

Given Bavarian might as well be another language instead of a dialect, he might as well move to Spain

Old
03-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
Didn't stop Khedira or Ozil but who we kidding? Hummels will go to the undisputed best league the EPL possible to Arsenal.
Are you seriously suggesting that hummels will join Arsenal?

Old
03-28-2013, 10:26 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Well Bayern already discarded Hummels once, I doubt he's eager to go back anytime soon.

Given Bavarian might as well be another language instead of a dialect, he might as well move to Spain
Hummels lived in Bavaria from age 7 to age 21, I doubt he has a problem with the dialect.

Personally I think his close personal links to Bayern make it more likely he eventually returns there.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:39 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Hummels lived in Bavaria from age 7 to age 21, I doubt he has a problem with the dialect.

Personally I think his close personal links to Bayern make it more likely he eventually returns there.
Oh I know, but I'll get my shots in against Bavaria when I can

Old
03-29-2013, 03:23 AM
les Habs

Hummels is reportedly a Barça target, but not the only target at CB.

It's rather ridiculous to think that Hummels wouldn't agree to the move based on the language and cultural differences between Barcelona and Germany. If he's a total homebody, OK. Otherwise, while there's been talk of learning Catalan being preferred even in the recent past, I doubt he'd be required to learn much of it. From what my friend tells me not that many Catalans are fluent in the language.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:36 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I agree

Old
03-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Schalkenullvier*

True, but he's under contract until 2015 so if Dortmund want to keep him around for one more year I don't think he'll go in a snit and force a move.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
True, but he's under contract until 2015 so if Dortmund want to keep him around for one more year I don't think he'll go in a snit and force a move.
Oh, I don't doubt that Dortmund won't be looking to sell much less on the cheap. Also, I thought his contract was until 2017. If it's only 2015 they can get a good price, but they should still be considering the sale then. One more year and say he's looking for a move (for whatever reason) then the price goes down considerably.

Personally I like the player. As I've said, I'd like a little more pace and he's a bit similar to what we already have, but I'm a fan. Of course I'd be looking at two CBs (assuming the youngsters are out the door) over the next year or two, but Hummels would be one of them right now.

There are other targets though, the likes of Marquinhos from Roma and Kompany from City two who have come up in the papers more than once. Even Vertonghen (who the club should have bought last Summer) is coming up.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Oh, I don't doubt that Dortmund won't be looking to sell much less on the cheap. Also, I thought his contract was until 2017. If it's only 2015 they can get a good price, but they should still be considering the sale then. One more year and say he's looking for a move (for whatever reason) then the price goes down considerably.

Personally I like the player. As I've said, I'd like a little more pace and he's a bit similar to what we already have, but I'm a fan. Of course I'd be looking at two CBs (assuming the youngsters are out the door) over the next year or two, but Hummels would be one of them right now.

There are other targets though, the likes of Marquinhos from Roma and Kompany from City two who have come up in the papers more than once. Even Vertonghen (who the club should have bought last Summer) is coming up.
you're correct, it's 2017. Not sure why I thought '15, maybe hope

Old
03-29-2013, 01:32 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
you're correct, it's 2017. Not sure why I thought '15, maybe hope
Hope that your rivals keep arguably their best player? You sir are more generous than I am.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
Hope that your rivals keep arguably their best player? You sir are more generous than I am.
hope that the contract runs out in 2015

Old
03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

According to Eurosport

Ajax technical director Marc Overmars has confirmed Liverpool are keeping a close watch on midfielder Christian Eriksen.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Foppa

I have no idea what GFN France is or if it is even a legit source, but they say that Sochaux and Arsenal have an exclusive agreement for the transfer of Sebastien Corchia for 5 million euros if Sochaux get relegated from Ligue 1.

http://getfootballnewsfrance.com/201...stien-corchia/

Seems really cheap for such a talent but given how little Newcastle were paying for their talented French reinforcements...maybe that's the going rate.

Anyways, Corchia seems a real talent going forward and would offer an ideal long-term compliment/competition for Jenkinson, who although he's progressed a lot this season will never offer much flair in the attack imo.

A fullback depth chart of Monreal/Gibbs and Corchia/Jenkinson would look pretty tasty.

Still think Sagna needs to be kept though too...I really am intrigued by the idea of him as a CB where his declining pace will not be an issue.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:00 AM
Evilo

Corchia is very good going forward indeed (good technique, very good speed, great crosses, can be dangerous taking free kicks). Not surprised by the price. The player was going to leave and fullbacks are cheap anyway.
Corchia is a leader, he's been captain for a while and he's experienced although young as he has been a starter in L1 since age 18.
However, he's not physical and can be overpowered defensively. So I'm not sure the EPL is the right league for him.
Spain would have fit like a glove.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
A fullback depth chart of Monreal/Gibbs and Corchia/Jenkinson would look pretty tasty.

Still think Sagna needs to be kept though too...I really am intrigued by the idea of him as a CB where his declining pace will not be an issue.
I love(d) Sagna, but this year he has been pretty bad (regressing?) compared to his other seasons.

I hope we sell both Gervinho & Sagna, and spend it on young players around 22-25. I understand rebuilding is rare in football, but we aren't going to go anywhere or win with the squad we have.

I would also like to sell,

Diaby
Mertesacker
Rosickı (for the right price)
Ramsey
Squillaci
Fabiański (underrated goalkeeper, but send him to a team where he's #1)
Arshavin
Santos
Djourou
Chamakh
Young
Bendtner

I am very torn on Giroud, because losing him would put a big hole in our striker depth.

Keep the rest and main core with the addition of good young players for experience and depth.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
I love(d) Sagna, but this year he has been pretty bad (regressing?) compared to his other seasons.

I hope we sell both Gervinho & Sagna, and spend it on young players around 22-25. I understand rebuilding is rare in football, but we aren't going to go anywhere or win with the squad we have.

Diaby
Mertesacker
Ramsey
Squillaci
Arshavin
Santos
Djourou
Chamakh
Young
Bendtner

I am very torn on Giroud, because losing him would put a big hole in our striker depth.

Keep the rest and main core with the addition of good young players for experience and depth.
Uhh, aren't Squillaci, Arshavin, & Bendtner at the very least on expiring contracts? They should be let walk because they suck. Time to cut bait on Diaby, he just cannot stay healthy. Most of the rest I agree, although I'd probably keep Ramsey around.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Foppa

Quote:

Diaby
Mertesacker
Ramsey
Squillaci
Arshavin
Santos
Djourou
Chamakh
Young
Bendtner

It's so hard to get rid of deadwood as this list demonstrates. Much of it should have been gone ages ago but it's so hard to find takers and a lot of times we end up with these silly season-long loans because nobody will take a useless or injury-ridden player at full salary.

Have to keep Giroud, I'm not torn at all...he shouldn't be the #1 goal-scoring striker on a team with the aspirations of our fanbase but he does a lot of little things really well and I think he will improve in his second season.

I also think we keep Ramsey...shame about his injury because he was a Wilshere-level talent but I find him to be a useful squad player anyways and he's still young and cheap and just signed a new long-term contract. Not going anywhere.

Even Merte isn't an automatic goner for me. I like him better than TV who drives me bonkers, is a poor captain for my money and seems to still have a big reputation. See if we can trick Barca or somebody else into paying big bucks for TV, invest in a new starting centre back who is strong and positionally sound to partner Kos and keep Merte on as a 3rd or 4th option to play against certain types of teams.

My $0.02 anyways.

Old
04-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Wee Baby Seamus
I got your back

Jovetic's Wikipedia page

Quote:
Stevan Jovetic will go to English club Arsenal this summer for an agreed fee of approximately £18 million including add-ons, after his agent announced this on 2nd April 2013. He is part of a massive planned overhaul of players at Arsenal including proposed moves for Stephen El-Sharaaway, C.Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Julio Cesar and Ashley Williams.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Baby Seamus View Post
Jovetic's Wikipedia page
I love how you start from CR7 and Messi to end up with Cesar and Ashley Williams

Old
04-09-2013, 09:38 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Phil Neville will leave Everton at the end of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22073741

Closed Thread