HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Fake Bloggers

Old
08-12-2006, 02:23 AM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveHabs View Post
yup, but i tend to just ignore rumors, id rather jusdt worry about the actual news
Nothing wrong with that I just hate people who rag on them because there rumors arent always true....That's not what rumors are...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Well like I said, it's a little hypocritical to have a 10 page thread about something Bruce Garrioch had in the paper, and a 2 page thread from Eklund, half of which is just people talking about Eklund.

If you see something in the paper or a blog about Lecavalier or Marleau, and what we're offering is Ribeiro perhaps you need to take it with a grain of salt.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:35 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Elephant man, Eklund, Montreal insider etc. What motivates thse guys." A pathetic need for attention?
Personally, I like Eklund. I listenn to him on XM satellite radio and he provides a lot of insightful comments. He doesn't create rumours, he simply passes on information that he has gained through his contacts and always, at least on radio, prefaces his comments with those disclaimers.

He is a clearing house for the buzz that is going on behind the scenes. As with anything, most of the buzz doesn't amount to anything but it does give us an idea what the general mindset might be. It is interesting and entertaining. Take it for what it is...

As for some of the others, I have to agree with you. They seem to be wannabe's who create ideas and rumours out of their own imaginations. Those guys will have a short shelf life. Eklund will likely be around for a while.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:45 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by briste View Post
Personally, I like Eklund. I listenn to him on XM satellite radio and he provides a lot of insightful comments. He doesn't create rumours, he simply passes on information that he has gained through his contacts and always, at least on radio, prefaces his comments with those disclaimers.

He is a clearing house for the buzz that is going on behind the scenes. As with anything, most of the buzz doesn't amount to anything but it does give us an idea what the general mindset might be. It is interesting and entertaining. Take it for what it is...

As for some of the others, I have to agree with you. They seem to be wannabe's who create ideas and rumours out of their own imaginations. Those guys will have a short shelf life. Eklund will likely be around for a while.
Bob MacKenzie is the most connected guy in hockey and he never recognized the guy. NO ONE can hear chatter from 30 teams. Eklund is an imaginative small potatoes sort. If he hears ANY chatter teams will soon cut off his pipeline.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:51 PM
znk

Quote:
Bob MacKenzie is the most connected guy in hockey and he never recognized the guy. NO ONE can hear chatter from 30 teams. Eklund is an imaginative small potatoes sort. If he hears ANY chatter teams will soon cut off his pipeline.
*** did you even go read what McKenzie wrote..what I pasted to you earlier?? Omg this is just gold.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
please stop saying stupid stuff...
Eklund is not fake. Dont take my word for it...
Check out what Bob Mckenzie has to say.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=5878069&postcount=38
Who cares?
I wont take a chance this time....I'll quote Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMckenzie View Post
Everyone is free to have whatever opinion they want to have of Eklund, or anyone else for that matter, including myself, but if there are people suggesting he fabricated being at the Stanley Cup final as an accredited media member, I can tell you that he was there and accredited. He was in Carolina, he was in Edmonton. I saw him, I talked to him, quite a nice fellow.

Funny story. Sitting around having the media meal before a game in Carolina. An Edmonton radio guy was talking about stuff in general and then started to talk about "that guy who posts rumors on a website" and took a few shots at him even though he couldn't remember his name. Two people at the table knew who the radio guy was talking about -- me and Eklund. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to embarrass him. At first, Eklund didn't say anything, then he said to the radio guy very nicely, "the guy you're talking about is called Eklund and that's me." He and the radio guy actually shared a few laughs and Eklund handled the situation quite well, I thought.

Like I said, you can like him, you can dislike, you can take his stuff as gospel or you can take it as b.s., that's up to you. But he is what he is and, I don't think he tries to be anything else. As a side note, I found him to be much better plugged in during the lockout than he is now, but I can also tell you I go to his site every day because he has good people blogging there. If you want a great daily report on the Flyers, for example, or the Italian soccer team Panaccio's blog is must read. Anyway, I find his site useful, for whatever that is worth and he seems to be a pretty decent fellow, for whatever that is worth.

Good job making a fool of your self Toshiro.
Talk about painting your self in a corner.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 01:08 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
*** did you even go read what McKenzie wrote..what I pasted to you earlier?? Omg this is just gold.

I wont take a chance this time....I'll quote Bob.
Bob just met the guy. He is one member of the media. Nothing else. No one member of the media could hear of all those proposals.

Good job making a fool of your self Toshiro.
Talk about painting your self in a corner.
"As a side note, I found him to be much better plugged in during the lockout than he is now" Even Bob is saying that he isnt plugged in anymore and Bob doesnt plug rumours on 30 teams. Get it? Bob is saying he isnt plugged in and the blog is entertaining for its Italian soccer comments.
No one member of the media can hear so much "chatter" on so many teams. To believe otherwise is embarrassing yourself. Eklund supporters are laughable. If he is well known then teams will plug leaks to him.

Old
08-12-2006, 01:18 PM
znk

Quote:
"As a side note, I found him to be much better plugged in during the lockout than he is now" Even Bob is saying that he isnt plugged in anymore and Bob doesnt plug rumours on 30 teams. Get it? Bob is saying he isnt plugged in and the blog is entertaining for its Italian soccer comments.
No one member of the media can hear so much "chatter" on so many teams. To believe otherwise is embarrassing yourself. Eklund supporters are laughable. If he is well known then teams will plug leaks to him.
Hummm.....doesnt that mean he was really well plugged in durring the lockout? I guess it means he wasnt fake back then right? And now all of a sudden he's fake? Better plugged in doesnt mean he's not plugged in now either. Bob met him face to face. If he was fake I dont think Bob would take the time to come post a message on this board to defend him.

Teams can not plug leaks....because they dont know who leaks the info.
Player agents can leak info if the feel it will get them more attention. Lets say I'm talking to the habs and the rangers but I want the rangers to raise their offer. I could create buzz that I'm almost about to sign with montreal just to get the Rangers to step up.

I suggest to take a little time to think about all of the other possibilities.
Other people feel free to step in. I'm going to get a haircut.

Last edited by znk: 08-12-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old
08-12-2006, 01:39 PM
wholeshow*

lol, General managers are in CONSTANT talk with eachother. as outlandish as a trade suggestion maybe, it's VERY likely that a general manager has thrown the proposal to another (that has later been confirmed by an internet blogger). The fact that the deal doesn't fall through, doesn't negate the simple idea that the teams actually talked about trading with eachother.
You don't think BG realizes we lack a potent centerman on one of the top 2 lines, and as a result made calls to san jose and tampa about the possibility of attaining the likes of marleau and lecavalier? Of course he did. Good GM's try to improve their team.
If anyone eklund reported that thornton would have been traded for sturm, stuart and primeau prior to the actual deal taking place you would have all called him an idiot. GM's constantly send out feeler deals to see if unlikely players are attainable. In most cases they aren't (the 'ridiculous trade rumor posted on a blog'), but sometimes they are (Thornton).

There are people who post absolute trash and package it as the truth, but guys like 'eklund' and 'the code' are the real deal. If you don't believe what they have to say, stop reading it. Whether or not the rumor actualizes is besides the point, the point is that the teams involved are talking with eachother.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 01:47 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Player agents can leak info if the feel it will get them more attention. Lets say I'm talking to the habs and the rangers but I want the rangers to raise their offer. I could create buzz that I'm almost about to sign with montreal just to get the Rangers to step up.
And the "info" would be fake, even if the guy that reports it doesn't lie...

That's why I don't pay much attention to rumors most of the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel
Well like I said, it's a little hypocritical to have a 10 page thread about something Bruce Garrioch had in the paper, and a 2 page thread from Eklund, half of which is just people talking about Eklund.
Well, usually, you don't get hired by a newspaper by chance, while anybody can create a blog. That's why paper guys have more credibility, they're professionals, even if they're often dumb in their rumors reports as Garrioch and Brooks are.

A good blogger can be hired by media though, like it happened to Spector...
That's a definitie proof of credibility...

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 01:55 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:

he said "much better"...he didn't say that the guy is utterly useless now. learn how to read tajiri.

You're saying that knowing 30 different people from 30 different teams is impossible? lol. You obviously have no clue about how the media works, tajiri.

Quote:
haha, wow. teams don't directly plug 'leaks' to members of the media unless they feel the team will benefit. eklund knows moles that have a good base on what is happening with a particular team. Like i said, if you don't like Eklund...stop reading his stuff. Is it so hard? I'd rather read the comments of a guy like Eklund who actually has REAL leads in the hockey world, as opposed to someone like you who probably knows bob gainey's cousins friend.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 03:45 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
And the "info" would be fake, even if the guy that reports it doesn't lie...

In this example the info wouldnt be false because in fact he was indeed talking to montreal. Maybe the fact that an eminent signing is on its way is false but I'd still rather hear that then hear nothing.
That's why I don't pay much attention to rumors most of the time...

Well, usually, you don't get hired by a newspaper by chance, while anybody can create a blog. That's why paper guys have more credibility, they're professionals, even if they're often dumb in their rumors reports as Garrioch and Brooks are.

A good blogger can be hired by media though, like it happened to Spector...
That's a definitie proof of credibility...
Well Eklund talks on many radio stations on a regulare basis so there has to be a bit of credibitlity there. I love Spector and I visit his site on a regular basis he's mainly a guy that gathers up all the known info in one central spot. And he has good comments and insight on the info he has. Eklund and spector are quite different in that regard. Spector reports and gives his tilt on the situation while Eklund mostly takes what his source says and posts it without really filtering or giving his own opinion on the subject he expects you to make your own judgement.

Old
08-12-2006, 07:24 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
he said "much better"...he didn't say that the guy is utterly useless now. learn how to read tajiri.

You're saying that knowing 30 different people from 30 different teams is impossible? lol. You obviously have no clue about how the media works, tajiri.

haha, wow. teams don't directly plug 'leaks' to members of the media unless they feel the team will benefit. eklund knows moles that have a good base on what is happening with a particular team. Like i said, if you don't like Eklund...stop reading his stuff. Is it so hard? I'd rather read the comments of a guy like Eklund who actually has REAL leads in the hockey world, as opposed to someone like you who probably knows bob gainey's cousins friend.
To believe that Eklund would have moles and leads in many cities is ludicrous. Most of it is logical trades that may happen. Some of it is so ridiculous that to believe it is true is diagnistic of one's gullibility. Ive never started a rumour so you must be talking about someone else. So 500 media guys know 150 hockey sources on teams? lol thats a joke

Old
08-12-2006, 07:36 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
lol, General managers are in CONSTANT talk with eachother. as outlandish as a trade suggestion maybe, it's VERY likely that a general manager has thrown the proposal to another (that has later been confirmed by an internet blogger). The fact that the deal doesn't fall through, doesn't negate the simple idea that the teams actually talked about trading with eachother.
You don't think BG realizes we lack a potent centerman on one of the top 2 lines, and as a result made calls to san jose and tampa about the possibility of attaining the likes of marleau and lecavalier? Of course he did. Good GM's try to improve their team.
If anyone eklund reported that thornton would have been traded for sturm, stuart and primeau prior to the actual deal taking place you would have all called him an idiot. GM's constantly send out feeler deals to see if unlikely players are attainable. In most cases they aren't (the 'ridiculous trade rumor posted on a blog'), but sometimes they are (Thornton).

There are people who post absolute trash and package it as the truth, but guys like 'eklund' and 'the code' are the real deal. If you don't believe what they have to say, stop reading it. Whether or not the rumor actualizes is besides the point, the point is that the teams involved are talking with eachother.
You have no proof of this. You have faith in a small image. You are rewarded a small number of times so you belive it as you really need to believe that there is magic. Pay 25 bucks to Eklund and be happy.

Old
08-12-2006, 07:40 PM
znk

Quote:
To believe that Eklund would have moles and leads in many cities is ludicrous. Most of it is logical trades that may happen. Some of it is so ridiculous that to believe it is true is diagnistic of one's gullibility. Ive never started a rumour so you must be talking about someone else. So 500 media guys know 150 hockey sources on teams? lol thats a joke
It is? Why, explain how it's difficult to imagine? Also no one said (including him) that he as sources in every city. And sources dont have to be in cities. Lets say I'm the friend of a player agent who has 3 players. these 3 players are talking each to 4 teams. I could basiclay be a source that is giving info on 12 teams.

I repeat the question. Why, explain how it's difficult to imagine?

Old
08-12-2006, 07:42 PM
znk

Quote:
You have no proof of this. You have faith in a small image. You are rewarded a small number of times so you belive it as you really need to believe that there is magic. Pay 25 bucks to Eklund and be happy.
Who's talking about paying?

Old
08-12-2006, 07:54 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Who's talking about paying?
To be a "season ticket " holder to have access to the hockey God's special insight.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/. It must be well worth it to have all that inside information even if it is just "chatter". I have a picture of Ek listening in on bugged phones chatter a term from the intelligence community

Old
08-12-2006, 07:59 PM
znk

Quote:
To be a "season ticket " holder to have access to the hockey God's special insight.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/. It must be well worth it to have all that inside information even if it is just "chatter". I have a picture of Ek listening in on bugged phones chatter a term from the intelligence community
You dont have to be a season ticket holder to read the blog. With a season ticket you get emails, better prizes in the fantasy league, access to the insider chat etc...

So you dont have to pay if you dont wana but you still see his blog.

What's a matter you're running out of arguments? And you avoided answering my previous question.

You're funny as hell and entertaining.

Old
08-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Elephant man is the worst... my 6 year old daughter says things more intelligent than what he's so-called "reporting"...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 08:12 PM
jprobber

I'm a HockeyBuzz season ticket holder, and enjoy the chat room especially. Forums are a little wooly, but they seem to be here, too. Eklund has good contributors, and writes some good stuff himself. This is my first post here; hope this operation is as interesting!

jprobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:56 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Well Eklund talks on many radio stations on a regulare basis so there has to be a bit of credibitlity there. I love Spector and I visit his site on a regular basis he's mainly a guy that gathers up all the known info in one central spot. And he has good comments and insight on the info he has. Eklund and spector are quite different in that regard. Spector reports and gives his tilt on the situation while Eklund mostly takes what his source says and posts it without really filtering or giving his own opinion on the subject he expects you to make your own judgement.
Your definition of Spector's work is good. I like his comments, who's often good common sense that is not that easy to find when you're talking about hockey rumors.

I also like the fact that he's filtering, as I've got a quick round-up of the situation without having to read much garbage that I don't have the time for.

If some people do like "entertainment hockey related stuff" like Eklund or 110%, that's there problem. What's annoying is having so many reports on what these people say with :
1- The gullible posters that report every crap possible and take every word as fact.
2- The people that can't leave these topics die if they have nothing to add and flame Eklund, the 110% guy or whoever.

Just my 2 cents, or, better conclusion, just like Ryder.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:21 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You dont have to be a season ticket holder to read the blog. With a season ticket you get emails, better prizes in the fantasy league, access to the insider chat etc...

So you dont have to pay if you dont wana but you still see his blog.

What's a matter you're running out of arguments? And you avoided answering my previous question.

You're funny as hell and entertaining.
If you love him so much pay for the "insider" information. Its the real gold. Your only getting the crumbs the other way. Adulation of Eklund is laughable. However, I can understand not paying if you are poor.

Last edited by toshiro: 08-13-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old
08-13-2006, 12:36 PM
znk

Quote:
If you love him so much pay for the "insider" information. Its the real gold. Your only getting the crumbs the other way. Adulation of Eklund is laughable. However, I can understand not paying if you are poor.

I am a season ticket holder and had some really interesting stuff in his chat.
Because people appreciate his site its called adulation? If reading his stuff and making my own judgment on the validity of this information is what you are refering to then chalk me up as an adulator. I guess it takes a certain level of maturity and judgement to sift through the information and obvioulsy this part escapes you. Anyway I'd rather be in that category then spreading malicious slander about that person and being dismissive about everything that is wirten on his site. The people who kept their cool and their head durring the Eklund witch hunt also kept their eyes open and realized that not all that was said was true and that in fact most of it was false and that he also does have a relatively good success rate altho a success rate has no impact on the truthfulness of rumours.

And as for the last part of you post. Well....I wont even go there.

Last edited by znk: 08-13-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old
08-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Darz

I always have a hard time believing how much posting the anti-Exlund group does around here.

Hey, if you don't like his stuff, don't read it and don't discuss it. It's quite easy to do.

Overall, I have no doubt that Eklund has more NHL contacts than everybody on this board combined. Bob McKenzie has vouched for him. And when looking at the people he has on his site, he must get scoops from time to time.

Truthfully I think alot of managment teams in the NHL sometimes 'like' to leak things to the media, to see what kind of reaction it receives from the fan base. Also, I'm sure there are memebers of a certain team who will talk to reporters from time to time about things that get bask to Eklund.

So why are such a large percentace of his rumours turn out to be false. Partially, I beleive, because for every trade/free agent signing that a team discusses or looks into, I'm sure only a small percentage actually happens.

Finally, I like reading his stuff purely as entertainment. I don't care if his % of rumours become true is 0.01%. I like thinking about the possibilities of the rumours and things like that.

08-13-2006, 01:19 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Btw purple is not a fruit....it's a vegetable.

Old
08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I am a season ticket holder and had some really interesting stuff in his chat.
Because people appreciate his site its called adulation? If reading his stuff and making my own judgment on the validity of this information is what you are refering to then chalk me up as an adulator. I guess it takes a certain level of maturity and judgement to sift through the information and obvioulsy this part escapes you. Anyway I'd rather be in that category then spreading malicious slander about that person and being dismissive about everything that is wirten on his site. The people who kept their cool and their head durring the Eklund witch hunt also kept their eyes open and realized that not all that was said was true and that in fact most of it was false and that he also does have a relatively good success rate altho a success rate has no impact on the truthfulness of rumours.

And as for the last part of you post. Well....I wont even go there.
I'm sure there are kernels in all that is "wirten". It is good to have someone to revere. It saves thinking. We have to agree to disagree.