HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 4 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Simmonds would be a dream come true!
Im not a fan of his hockey sense, people would be quite desapointed..

Old
03-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I don't see why he wouldn't accept a trade although I don't think Edmonton would want him but other teams probably would.

I see it as a "do you want to be traded or bought out type of situation" because if they ask Gionta to waive his NTC and he refuses, MB almost certainly will buy him out come summertime. I would think Gionta would rather be traded to a team that wants him instead.
I would rather see Gio and his 5mil for 1more yr play the 3rd line (and still score about 20 goals)than kabs and his 4.25mil sit in the press box and provide cheerleading and critiques on the hotdogs at other rinks

Old
03-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Ryder is better than Ginta.
No he's not. Now who's right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's clearly not getting traded this season. But he's also clearly a relic of the Gainey's delirious feverish spending spree and if Bergevjn wants to turn the page he's gotta turn the page. Overpaid, underproducing, under-talented, under-sized and recently it looks like his effort levels are dropping too. I was never a fan and I don't think he belongs on Therrien's Habs.

Our forechecking literally falls apart with Gionta in tow, he's brutal on the PP and he needs a bodyguard at all times because he can't hold his own against anyone in the league. I'd never say this about the honey badger, Gallagher who js equally small, but Gionta is a mercenary who was given a million too much and a year too many and is a foot too short.

Heck I think Cole seemed like more of a true Hab in his 1.5 year stint than Gio has this entire time.

Trade him this offseason and retool for a legitimate scoring winger. I'm sick of "shoots, and it's high and wide"
It's like we're watching different teams, talking about a totally different player, reading this... amazing. I call prejudice.

Since joining the Habs:
  • 75 regular season's goals in 207 games, 0.36 goals/game, averaging close to 30 goals every 82 games;
  • 12 goals in 26 playoffs games, 0.46 goals/game;
  • 10 goals in 33 games this season, 0.3 goals/game, on pace for 25 goals in an 82 games season;
  • His 27 hits are only 5 less than Pacioretty and 4 more than Ryder;
  • His 13 blocked shots are one more than Plekanec and one less than Moen;
  • His 15 takeaways put him 3rd on the team behind only Desharnais and Eller;
  • He's third on the team in shots on goal;
  • He's 7th on the team in shooting percentage;
  • He has one more PP goal than Max Pacioretty.

He's well worth the money he's getting paid, sorry to say.

Quote:
Iginla just got traded at midnight, Koivu wasn't even tendered an offer, you think a player with minimal ties to Montreal has to be given the velvet treatment because Jacques Martin called him a captain? Why?
Yes, Martin is the one who named him captain. But I was listening to Mathieu Darche on l'Antichambre last week talking about Gionta and you should have heard what he had to say about him. Players love him in the room and Darche said that had Martin decided to proceed to a vote, Gionta would have been unanimous. That's a player in the dressing room saying that, not me, not you.

Sorry but I feel sometimes like people are speaking through their hats when referring to Gionta. It's frustrating to read the misinformation going around at times...

Old
03-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
We don't need a cerebral player.

We need a big, mean powerforward that goes straight to the net. Hit like a truck and can fight pretty well.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
We don't need a cerebral player.

We need a big, mean powerforward that goes straight to the net. Hit like a truck and can fight pretty well.
Pair him with DD or Eller and watch him provide us great secondary scoring.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I would rather see Gio and his 5mil for 1more yr play the 3rd line (and still score about 20 goals)than kabs and his 4.25mil sit in the press box and provide cheerleading and critiques on the hotdogs at other rinks
If we run out of compliance buyouts we still have an unlimited amount of normal buyouts remaining. Two years @ $1.25 for year 1 and $1.5 for year 2. He's out of here, too bad things didn't work out.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
You don't get Simmonds for his hockey sense. You get him to crash the net , dig pucks in the corners , create traffic in front of the net and add toughness to his line.

That's his role and he's pretty good at it

Old
03-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Et le But

The more I think about it, the more Smid seems like a perfect fit to round out the defense.

He has even fought before.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Craig71

Stop the madness of trade deadline talk and instead turn purpose towards the gods of draft day trades. apologies, gratitude. Jupiters C**k.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:38 PM
NonoRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Simmonds and its not even close. He would be a fan favourite here right away. He's a top 6 forward version of Prust and is even better at fighting.
Judge by yourself...

Old
03-29-2013, 05:42 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Stop the madness of trade deadline talk and instead turn purpose towards the gods of draft day trades. apologies, gratitude. Jupiters C**k.
It's fun to speculate and hope though! Draft day will bring all new speculations. That's fun times too.

P.S. Spartacus is Awesome!

Old
03-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonoRobot View Post
Judge by yourself...
Yeah, that was a good fight. I thought someone might post that. Can't win em all, although Simmonds nearly does.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Rick16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonoRobot View Post
Judge by yourself...
Commentators said it was Prust second fight of the period so I guess he was a bit tired. It was still a pretty close fight.

On another topic, I just heard on hockey 360 that the habs should try to get Ryan Whitney, I hope they won't go down that road.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:53 PM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

Please, please, please, please not Ryan Clowe.

Simmonds would be great, but I doubt he's on the market?

I'm big on Mueller. Someone pointed out to me that he's not likely available, but he's UFA at seasons end and I think he'd be a good fit if it could be enticed.

A big, shutdown, right-handed, 3rd pairing defensemen. Ryan O'Byrne? lol

Old
03-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Et le But

Whitney has been awful this year. Great twitter user, but he's slowed down so much...if we get a defender from the Oilers I'd much rather get Smid.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Bieber fever

Acquiring anyone who can't fight before the dead line is useless

Old
03-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Dagistitsyn

Bob McKenzie just tweeted that Flyers Meszaros is done for the season and Coburn is out indefinitely with shoulder injury.

Philly is done. Time to get serious about Simmonds or Hartnell.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Acquiring anyone who can't fight before the dead line is useless
For all that fighting in the playoffs?

Old
03-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
we should pay the price to get either yandle or J bow Our defence would be awesome , Just think of Markov - Emelin PK - Yandle/J bow Gorges - Boulion. Thats real solid and with Price in nets. We would real hard to beat and with the forwards we have now We could generate enough offense to win lots of games
Either way, we definitly need a D for the second unit of the our PP. Even Campbell would do.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
For all that fighting in the playoffs?
Times have changed. Look at the series between the Sens and Rangers and Flyers-Pitts last year. It was pretty gritty and physical, many fights.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:08 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Bob McKenzie just tweeted that Flyers Meszaros is done for the season and Coburn is out indefinitely with shoulder injury.

Philly is done. Time to get serious about Simmonds or Hartnell.
Just because they're done for the season doesn't mean they'll trade their key players. What kind of reasoning is that?

Old
03-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
HARTNELL. Now that's some I like.

Simmons too. But HARTNELL is what we need. Problem is we'll have to give them Tinordi or Beaulieu + 1st rounder plus a roster winger to make it happen.
The plus on getting Hartnell is that for Bergevin chemistry is important and if you notice, guys he went for since coming in, where guys that would be good for chemistry or guys that would not disctract the good chemistry the Habs already had. Hartnell is a good bloke, very positive guy. He would be the type of guy MB would like.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Agreed, and I hope people who read my rants against him don't think I don't consider him an NHL-player. He totally is and he's defensively sound. He just doesn't fit into our squad and cap-system and direction going forward, I don't think.
Exactly.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Times have changed. Look at the series between the Sens and Rangers and Flyers-Pitts last year. It was pretty gritty and physical, many fights.
Fights do happen in the playoffs. Goon fights do not. In fact, like half the fights in the playoffs last year were between star players.

Even in the crazier series there was rarely more than one fight filled game per series. Hardly shows any sort of trend. The Flyers-Pens series was a gongshow in which neither team played defense.

I understand targetting grit for the playoffs completely. The Kings 4th line was huge in the playoffs. But goons don't play, even if you think we need a heavyweight enforcer to play 13th forward that's something that can be addressed in the off season. Saying it's useless to target non-fighters is kind of ridiculous. Smid would be a hundred times more useful than a non-NHLer like Bickel even if the latter fights more. I'd take Jagr over a Westgarth.

If Hartnell or Simmonds is available, awesome. But I doubt they are. The Flyers aren't blowing up after one bad year.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Should be targeting a d-man over anything else right now.

Preferably a 2nd pairing bruiser who can keep the crease clear for Price. But any d-man with that trait will be of particular value for Montreal, even as a 3rd pairing guy

I'm not hearing a whole lot names out there to fit the bill, though

Closed Thread