HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers' Defense Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
loller12

vCash: 500
That D core is no where as bad as the oilers. Im surprised that the oilers have more points than the flyers despite the oilers having THE worst d core in the league and goal tending has been really questionable. Oh and there one of the lowest scoring teams in the league lol

Old
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
FlyerFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
standings
you dont go from good team to bad team just like that no matter what the standings are.Injuries free agent losses sure Bad D overall sure. Near bottom in standings check. Bad team though seriously? Playing poorly is perhaps the better words than BAD TEAM!

Old
03-29-2013, 05:16 PM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
you dont go from good team to bad team just like that no matter what the standings are.Injuries free agent losses sure Bad D overall sure. Near bottom in standings check. Bad team though seriously? Playing poorly is perhaps the better words than BAD TEAM!
But injuries are one of the ways you find out if you have a good team or not. The Sens have had it the worst this year, and they keep on trucking. The Pens without Malkin and Letang have still crushed.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:23 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
teams jump way up and down the standings every year.

teams in general are much closer talentwise than most people think.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
But injuries are one of the ways you find out if you have a good team or not. The Sens have had it the worst this year, and they keep on trucking. The Pens without Malkin and Letang have still crushed.
Exactly, the onus is on the GM to provide depth for the coach to work with, he's done none of that. Also, they've had Grossman up until what, the past few games? He's played 30.

I remember when the Pens blueline was ravaged with injuries and Alex Picard was a regular, Pens still found ways to win games.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:31 PM
MFSorcerer*

Quote:

Yeah. Seriously. Bad team. Top to bottom.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

Coburn is addition by subtraction so it actually could be worse.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Bryzgalov has been our worst player not named Gervais or Foster. Lilja and Shelley don't count.
that's BS aand you know it. You really think Bryz has been worse than Briere? Coburn? Couts?

Old
03-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Apparently Meszaros is out for the year, and Coburn has a seperated shoulder. (All according to twitter)

Old
03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Chris, don't think ee don't remember your views on schenn before trading for him, and your complete 180 on him within weeks of the trade....before even watching him play for your team. the fact that he's getting #3 minutes on one of the worst teams in hockey this year doesn't prove that he's improved.

meszaros has only ever excelled in bottom pair protected roles....with ottawa as a youngster and with you guys the first year. any time he has been used as a top 4 dman....witj tampa and now with you guys....he has struggled badly.

nick grossman was a solid 18-19mpg #5 borderline #4 dman in dallas, and is the exact same player for philly now.
I have no issue slamming the Flyer players. But you are wrong about Schenn. Living in Atlantic Canada, I saw lots of Schenn last year. He is MUCH better this year. dropping weight has made a big difference. As for the other D, agree with Mez. Excellent #5. This year he has been hurt too much to see if he could be more. Personally, I wanted to see Kimmo with Coburn again. Then Grossman and Schenn as a shut down D and then Mez with Gus. But really, I think the real issue is the coach has refuse to alter his system to fit the personel. Asking Schenn and Grossman to pinch in all the time is stupid. Let them back off UNLESS they have support from a forward. Basic hockey that we all learned, yet Lavi pushes them to go,go,go.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Oliver Lauridsen is next to spin the wheel.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:13 PM
ahthorne

Players who I'd keep. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Timonen and then I'd think about moving B. Schenn and L. Schenn if a deal came along. Excited for a 'rebuild'/retool. This year really reminds me of 06-07 and I think it's a good wake-up call for management to stop taking so many risky moves and let's so some patience and build around these kids (and that Bryzgalov is awful and is hopefully gone, if only for cap & financial reasons).

Talented young core, but much like Edmonton and Colorado a talented young core can't be relied on to win games.

Also, how about this for a defensive breakdown:

Timonen - 38 years old but I'd still say he's easily a top-2 defender on most teams.
L. Schenn - He's a 2nd pairing defender, will probably always be one. I think he'd be a really good 2nd pairing defender on a good team, but when he's leaned on things get rough.
Coburn - 2nd pairing guy also, nothing more. Coburn-L. Schenn would be a nice 2nd pairing.
Grossmann - ideal bottom pairing defender. Specific role in that he blocks shots and hits, but no puck moving or mobility. On a good team, he's a good 3rd pairing guy.
Meszaros - also a bottom pairing guy, not paid like one though. Looks best when not leaned on.
Gervais - AHL quality
Foster - ECHL quality
Gustafsson - AHL tweener. could be decent but as of now he's a AHL defender on a bad AHL team.
Lilja - retirement quality
Lauridson - AHL quality

SO really, a bunch of underperforming 2nd pairing guys even when healthy. Bad defense even when healthy. However let's not forget that Chris Pronger is a huge loss for this team, not just as a player but as a loss of a lot of assets: Sbisa, Lupul and 2 first rounders. A huge injury to a guy who they gave up that many assets would throw a wrench into anybody's long term plans.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:26 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Lilija won't be playing instead Oliver Lauridsen will be playing his first NHL game tomorrow. From what I've read on the Flyers board he is a very big defensive defenseman whose biggest issue was his skating which has allegedly improved.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:31 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
You're welcome to Ben Lovejoy or Bryan Allen if you'd like them.
Ducks fans already sick of Lovejoy?

Old
03-29-2013, 08:33 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Which one is he?

Foster? Lilja?...

Old
03-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
Ducks fans already sick of Lovejoy?
He's not been all that bad and had a few good games but he's dumb as anything out there and hasn't been good of late. Has a good set of tools but no toolbox. If he even had an average hockey IQ he would be a top 4 defenseman.

He's not bad to have around as a #7 though. So long as Boudreau uses him in that role.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:16 PM
HockeyCrazed101

Their defense this year doesn't puzzle me since I saw their defense last year and it wasn't impressive either...but what is up with the goals for? Why is a team with that kind of offensive talent sitting 12th in the East in Goals For and 23rd overall?

Old
03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Their defense this year doesn't puzzle me since I saw their defense last year and it wasn't impressive either...but what is up with the goals for? Why is a team with that kind of offensive talent sitting 12th in the East in Goals For and 23rd overall?
They're one of the worst teams at even strength. Majority of their goals come on the PP.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-29-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Marcus Halberstram*

Quote:
You have zero hockey knowledge at all
He's right.

People get mezmorized by their supposed offensive depth, completely overlooking just what a poorly constructed team they actually are, and a coach who is completely wrong for that group of players. GM Homer is also not very good at his job.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:35 PM
HockeyCrazed101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Their one of the worst teams at even strength. Majority of their goals come on the PP.
Was that the case last season as well? Because if it is, that's both surprising and interesting to me since I think they have some great offensive pieces on their roster.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Was that the case last season as well? Because if it is, that's both surprising and interesting to me since I think they have some great offensive pieces on their roster.
A good amount of the goals came on the PP last year too. I don't have the numbers on me but I don't think they were in the bottom 5 in goals at even strength like they are this year though.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:00 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Philly refuses to build from the net out. JVR for Schenn was okay in theory but you need to trade a more valuable forward for a more valuable all-around dman.

Floating in mediocrity on D and in goal will get you no where.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:01 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
A good amount of the goals came on the PP last year too. I don't have the numbers on me but I don't think they were in the bottom 5 in goals at even strength like they are this year though.
They were 7th in ratio at 1.13.

In absolute numbers, they were 6th at 168. Boston on top at 193, Minnesota last at 112.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
You should move Couturier back to the blue line, couldn't be any worse than more callups.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:58 PM
GTopCheese

Timonen injured. Let the appreciation continue!

Closed Thread