HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Who" is not buying into "what"?

Old
03-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

vCash: 500
Small market blah blah blah I think this market is about the size of Pittsburgh yet the Blues are pertually a mediocore team hmmmmm.

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
Small market blah blah blah I think this market is about the size of Pittsburgh yet the Blues are pertually a mediocore team hmmmmm.
Lack of corporate headquarters/sponsors, in particular ones which like to be involved with a team which draws less fans than a typical pre-season Cardinals game.
Lack of big money guys willing to operate at a loss.

Then, the Blues promptly stumbling over themselves after a lockout does not exactly engender them to the buying public in a town which is still recovering from losing its manufacturing base. Hard to charge more for tickets that way.

If you were asking for why instead of just ranting.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Talk about an overreaction
The overreaction is thinking that any of these players should be franchise players (or are safe, because some Blues fans think they are superstars in the making, they are not superstars until they show me the stats), get rid of them, and better hope Hitch is not an egomaniac, because he screwing up this year, big time. Last year was no fluke, the goalies had great GGA/SV% because of the overall team buy-in. This year, everyone thinks they are a superstar......There is not one superstar on the Blues, coach included (he won how many cups, one), they need to be reminded that they have to play a heart and soul hockey.

I look at hockey teams like a business: Do I (or the team) need a superstar to be the best business? No. What I need is an entire company (team) that buys in to the goal/plan and lives it and executes said plan.....

Last edited by Cotton McKnight: 03-29-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: it's just business baby, team sports baby!
Cotton McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Lack of corporate headquarters/sponsors, in particular ones which like to be involved with a team which draws less fans than a typical pre-season Cardinals game.
Lack of big money guys willing to operate at a loss.

Then, the Blues promptly stumbling over themselves after a lockout does not exactly engender them to the buying public in a town which is still recovering from losing its manufacturing base. Hard to charge more for tickets that way.

If you were asking for why instead of just ranting.
This reminder makes me wonder how are the Blues going to stay in STL and be a competitive money spending/making team?

Cotton McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:06 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
They have also had 4 of the best 10 or so players in the past 20 years, it means a lot for both of your points.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:52 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
as was mentioned by Crumblin Erb Brooks, Imagine if Lemiuex, Jagr, Crosby & Malkin played here in St. Louis? Do you think Pittsburgh would have a NHL Franchise now? Nope. The Penguins have filed for Bankruptcy 3 times since 1975. Mario Lemiuex has saved the franchise twice, once as a player, then becoming the current owner.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:18 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post

WE NEED TO STOP RELYING ON A BUNCH OF 2ND LINE PLAYERS FILLED IN LINES 1-3. We need upgrades simple as that.
Well there you go...

And stop relying on 2 Backup Goalies not named Allen on the roster as well

Easier said then done unfortunately.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Maxil

Well we just sent Allen back down so either some type of trade is in the works or hitch really wants to stick with the halak/elliot pairing.

Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Gullibull

For all this talk about Oshie not being the all-star player fans make him out to be, it's true that he isn't a superstar or top-end talent. But he's the embodiment of Blues hockey. He's always busting his ass on both ends and throwing his body around and occasionally making great plays. He's the kind of player that guys like Perron, Berglund, and (recently) Backes need to emulate.

When speaking of trade bait, it's a shame that I immediately think of our #2 in goals and our #2 in points. I hardly notice Perron on the ice unless he's forfeiting the puck in the o-zone or getting an o-zone penalty. Berglund is invisible most of the time. Backes may as well not cross the blue line at this point.

It's no wonder that fans hold Oshie in high regard. These aren't new ideas or sentiments. Oshie is a Blue and will continue to be a Blue as long as our identity is blue collar work ethic. If the aforementioned players continue their style of play but fail to put up points they'll be deemed expendable. With Oshie, it's clear that he adds value all around, regardless. He should not be the subject of trade talks imo.

Gullibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:00 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullibull View Post
For all this talk about Oshie not being the all-star player fans make him out to be, it's true that he isn't a superstar or top-end talent. But he's the embodiment of Blues hockey. He's always busting his ass on both ends and throwing his body around and occasionally making great plays. He's the kind of player that guys like Perron, Berglund, and (recently) Backes need to emulate.

When speaking of trade bait, it's a shame that I immediately think of our #2 in goals and our #2 in points. I hardly notice Perron on the ice unless he's forfeiting the puck in the o-zone or getting an o-zone penalty. Berglund is invisible most of the time. Backes may as well not cross the blue line at this point.

It's no wonder that fans hold Oshie in high regard. These aren't new ideas or sentiments. Oshie is a Blue and will continue to be a Blue as long as our identity is blue collar work ethic. If the aforementioned players continue their style of play but fail to put up points they'll be deemed expendable. With Oshie, it's clear that he adds value all around, regardless. He should not be the subject of trade talks imo.
I really like Oshie's style and effort. But he frequently gets too fancy, especially when trying to clear his own zone, and is possibly the worst offender on the team about not shooting enough. He also usually burns all of his energy getting the puck up the ice and dancing in the corner, so unless the puck is really slow coming out of the offensive zone, he is surprisingly ineffective on the backcheck for an otherwise defensively capable player. Even Perron's effectiveness when backchecking a rush is frequently superior because he's so much faster.

So let's not act like Oshie is the one to emulate more often than not. They all make their share of mistakes and are invisible for significant amounts of time. That's not a complaint so much as it is the reality about players who are not truly elite.

I doubt they'll move him anytime soon, but if they can land a true top-line or pairing player with Oshie as a centerpiece, he's gone. I'll miss him and wish him good luck, but he's not indispensable. And the nature of trades that really improve your team is that you don't just deal the guys you want least, otherwise, you never get someone worthwhile, so it's entirely possible that trading Oshie is necessary. I can't know that for sure, but what I do know is that the gap between the effectiveness and inspiring play of Oshie and the other players you listed is not as large as you suggest. Oshie's playoff performance, in particular, has something to say about that.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

I know Perron is not buying into offensive zone penalty avoidment.

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Boromir Jagr*

Quote:
I know Perron is not buying into offensive zone penalty avoidment.
Captain Backes hasn't exactly been a saint in this regard

Boromir Jagr* is offline   Reply With Quote