HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

N. Korea Thread - Korean War back on? (Post #254)

Old
03-15-2013, 03:40 AM
RonFournier

vCash: 500
Here's an article by Kenneth Waltz, the father of neo-realism in international politics analysis. The subject is Iran but it explains how nuclear powers won't use the bomb because doing so would be against their fundamental objective: survival.

Why Iran should get the bomb, Kenneth Waltz - Foreign Affairs

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:44 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
Here's an article by Kenneth Waltz, the father of neo-realism in international politics analysis. The subject is Iran but it explains how nuclear powers won't use the bomb because doing so would be against their fundamental objective: survival.

Why Iran should get the bomb, Kenneth Waltz - Foreign Affairs
Pretty much the argument I've been repeating for years now. Also explains why a nuclear armed Iran wouldn't be the end of the world.

Everybody wants to love and see a new tomorrow. Those unrational enough not to agree with that statement aren't handed over the keys to a nuclear weapon, they are simply weeded into services more to their calling: suicide bombers, not decision makers.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:46 AM
PricePkPatch

Please read my precious post as: "Everybody wants to LIVE and see a new tomorrow"

Stupid autocorrect

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Sevanston

So yesterday, Kim Jong-Un oversaw a live artillery test near a disputed border with SK.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92D01920130314

Today, they fired some missiles into the Sea of Japan

http://rt.com/news/korea-missiles-short-fires-322/

I'm not saying nothing is going to happen, but this seems like a child throwing a tantrum and threatening serious damage. First they'll scream, then they'll try to make you think they'll actually follow through with their threats, and then they usually decide that following through isn't worth it.

If NK really wanted to go to war, I think they would've done it by now. Right now it seems more like posturing than an actual threat. We'll see what happens.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
So yesterday, Kim Jong-Un oversaw a live artillery test near a disputed border with SK.

I'm not saying nothing is going to happen, but this seems like a child throwing a tantrum and threatening serious damage. First they'll scream, then they'll try to make you think they'll actually follow through with their threats, and then they usually decide that following through isn't worth it.

If NK really wanted to go to war, I think they would've done it by now. Right now it seems more like posturing than an actual threat. We'll see what happens.
Not like it's something we've never seen before, is it?

Johnnywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
North Korea is just barking and hoping that the international community will be afraid that it might bite. If they do anything to either South Korea or Japan, the U.S., China, and everybody would roll over them like you wouldn't believe, and they know it.

Plus, it's a good chance for the glorious leader to show the masses how he's willing to stand up to the West.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

Or maybe they'd start it off by doing their tantrum bit so no one takes it seriously. You have to always be ready for the unexpected.

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:37 PM
slip

But at least the Western media is not exaggerating the actions and effects/power of the NK military (which spends a whopping 500 million a year on its military, a fraction of what it's neighbor to the south spends, and a fraction of a fraction of what the U.S. spends). Heaven forbid somebody objectively analyze the situation and rationally conclude it's all smoke and mirrors by both sides.

Then again, gotta pry people off of Facebook and Twitter somehow to get them to watch/read corporate news media. Cheap scare tactics is one way, certainly. And a popular method at that.

(now back to your regularly scheduled discussion of the war that will never happen).

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:51 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

The North cuts off its last hotline with the US and the South. Comparing and contrasting the makeup of a North Korean soldier with a South Korean soldier... Lulz. Hey, Kim Jong-Un, the 1940s called, they want their military gear back. Seriously.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

North Korea's antiquated gear wouldn't even be tested... the war would be over the second China cut off the food supply.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:52 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
This looks like it is going to get worst before it gets any better.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-sends-b-2s-...121203496.html

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — In a show of force following weeks of North Korean bluster, the U.S. on Thursday took the unprecedented step of announcing that two of its nuclear-capable B-2 bombers dropped munitions on a South Korean island as part of joint military drills.
The announcement is likely to further enrage Pyongyang, which has already issued a flood of ominous statements to highlight displeasure over the drills and U.N. sanctions over its nuclear test last month. But there were signs Thursday that it is willing to go only so far.
A North Korean industrial plant operated with South Korean know-how was running normally, despite the North's shutdown a day earlier of communication lines ordinarily used to move workers and goods across the border. At least for the moment, Pyongyang was choosing the factory's infusion of hard currency over yet another provocation.
U.S. Forces Korea said in a statement that the B-2 stealth bombers flew from a U.S. air base in Missouri and dropped munitions on a South Korean island range before returning home. It was unclear whether America's stealth bombers were used in past annual drills with South Korea, but this is the first time the military has announced their use.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
This looks like it is going to get worst before it gets any better.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-sends-b-2s-...121203496.html

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — In a show of force following weeks of North Korean bluster, the U.S. on Thursday took the unprecedented step of announcing that two of its nuclear-capable B-2 bombers dropped munitions on a South Korean island as part of joint military drills.
The announcement is likely to further enrage Pyongyang, which has already issued a flood of ominous statements to highlight displeasure over the drills and U.N. sanctions over its nuclear test last month. But there were signs Thursday that it is willing to go only so far.
A North Korean industrial plant operated with South Korean know-how was running normally, despite the North's shutdown a day earlier of communication lines ordinarily used to move workers and goods across the border. At least for the moment, Pyongyang was choosing the factory's infusion of hard currency over yet another provocation.
U.S. Forces Korea said in a statement that the B-2 stealth bombers flew from a U.S. air base in Missouri and dropped munitions on a South Korean island range before returning home. It was unclear whether America's stealth bombers were used in past annual drills with South Korea, but this is the first time the military has announced their use.
The ball is in North Korea's court now. How they respond to this will shape the course this situation is taking.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Why the hell would they even consider Austin, Texas as a possible target...?

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Why the hell would they even consider Austin, Texas as a possible target...?
Based on how North Koreans do things, it could be that they want to attack Houston and not Austin. Houston would make sense as NASA is there.

But on the other hand, the chart in the picture could just be a prop and they aren't intending to attack any of those targets, which is the most likely.

I am slightly concerned about Guam, Alaska and Hawaii though, if only slightly.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:48 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
The ball is in North Korea's court now. How they respond to this will shape the course this situation is taking.
I'd argue the ball is really in China's court.

They are the only country than holds substantial leverage and say over North Korea.

If they want to avoid any more regional disturbance, they need to be front and centre to broker peace here.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Creative as a form of propaganda but ultimately pointless. Do they even have the capability to reach teh U.S mainland other than having sleeper cells detonate dirty bombs from within the country ? I doubt it. They have Taepodong II missiles but last i heard those things failed in flight all the time and didn't have the capability to carry a warhead.

Of course there is always the possibility that they bought ICBM from other countries but even if they did i seriously doubt they have a ******** of them. They would probably get shot down before reaching the U.S anyway and then.....North Korea is gonna get one hell of a spanking.

South Korea , Japan and U.S bases in the region are certainly in danger. The U.S mainland ? Not so much imho

Quote:
North Korean Photo Reveals 'U.S. Mainland Strike Plan"'

UPDATE 1449KST: South Korean intelligence agencies have spotted increased activity on North Korean mid-to-long range missile platforms, an unnamed official told Yonhap in Seoul: “We are closely watching for the possibility of a missile launch,” the anonymous government source said.

SEOUL – Kim Jong Un signed off on a plan to ready his forces to target the U.S. mainland and American bases in East Asia following yesterday’s U.S.-led B-2 stealth bomber runs, the KCNA reported after the North Korean military conveyed an “emergency meeting” in the early hours of this morning.

In a photo published in the Korea Worker’s Party (KWP) paper the Rodong, plans for a strike on the U.S. mainland are clearly –and therefore probably deliberately– visible. The newspaper is widely distributed in cities, and often displayed in public places for easy viewing.

“He finally signed the plan on technical preparations of strategic rockets, ordering them to be on standby to fire so that they may strike any time the U.S. mainland, its military bases in the operational theaters in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in south Korea,” a KCNA report in English said.
In the below photos, Kim Jong Un can be seen in what appears to be a military command room, signing the ready order.....

Read the rest with additional photos at
http://www.nknews.org/2013/03/breaki...d-strike-plan/

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:32 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Creative as a form of propaganda but ultimately pointless. Do they even have the capability to reach teh U.S mainland other than having sleeper cells detonate dirty bombs from within the country ? I doubt it. They have Taepodong II missiles but last i heard those things failed in flight all the time and didn't have the capability to carry a warhead.

I wonder if the NK leadership got inspired by Olympus Has Fallen.

Any sort of unilateral attack on the US would be tantamount to suicide. China would bail on them and Pyongyang would be reduced to rubble. Not happening unless NK really has a death wish.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm sorry, but someone really needs to put a bullet into fat boy's head.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Based on how North Koreans do things, it could be that they want to attack Houston and not Austin. Houston would make sense as NASA is there.

But on the other hand, the chart in the picture could just be a prop and they aren't intending to attack any of those targets, which is the most likely.

I am slightly concerned about Guam, Alaska and Hawaii though, if only slightly.
Houston is major Port for US international trade , Has many fortune 500 companies headquartered there , Is major economic hub and industrial/oil hub

Houston makes alot of sense as a target for Nukes

Doubt very much that NK could hit it outside of smuggling in Nukes but even then there is no info that suggests they have developed miniaturized nuclear weapons. As far as I know US/Russia are only countries capable of developing/deploying such weapons

It would be difficult at this stage IMO for NK to successfully smuggle any nuclear device even a dirty bomb into US

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Elvs

Maybe I'm not aware of the whole situation, but I don't get it. What does North Korea think they can achieve by starting this war? I'm sure they could do devestating damage that I hope we don't ever get to. But if it gets to that, there's no way they could actually "win" is there? I imagine The U.S. and South Korea could get a fair share of allies. Who would join North Korea? It seems like a complete suicide mission.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:26 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Maybe I'm not aware of the whole situation, but I don't get it. What does North Korea think they can achieve by starting this war? I'm sure they could do devestating damage that I hope we don't ever get to. But if it gets to that, there's no way they could actually "win" is there? I imagine The U.S. and South Korea could get a fair share of allies. Who would join North Korea? It seems like a complete suicide mission.
Ever since the fall of the Soviet Union, NK has used over-the-top military rhetoric as leverage for international aid, so this is nothing new.

I think one of the working theories is that these new developments are the new dictator's way of establishing power and control over the military elite in Pyongyang.

Very unfortunate, considering when Kim Jong Il died there was some initial hope that this kid could bring reform to the country, but obviously that doesn't seem to be the case.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Don't look too much into the photo, it's just a propaganda piece and nothing else.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:17 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Not too worried about this tbh. If NK does anything to South Korea or Japan, good night Irene to NK. There won't be anything left there.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Not too worried about this tbh. If NK does anything to South Korea or Japan, good night Irene to NK. There won't be anything left there.
We don't need 100,000-200,000 people killed by North Korean nuclear strikes.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=66f_1363271575

That camo, how can you not be scared?

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote