HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Markov really be on the block?

Old
08-13-2006, 10:23 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Could Markov really be on the block?

Rumors surrounding Markov going the other way for a big center are a little too persistant, could this be for real?

At first, it would appear crazy for the Habs to even consider this.Their defense lacks depth as it is and this guy is our # 1. Just look at the Habs dismal record during his absence last year!

On the other side, the only reasons to do it would be his impending UFA status and his somewhat uninspired play in the playoffs last year (he is probably the one on our team, if not the whole NHL who suffered the most from Olympic exhaustion, plus his back is starting to act up) and maybe also his lack of leadership due to his aloof personality, which is OK now but might start to sting if he is given top dollar and accordingly expected to display leadership responsabilities...

The impending UFA thing is serious.

Right now, the Habs cap situation is roughly as follows:

1) Approx 5 for 2 Goalies;
2) Approx 12 for 7 Defensemen;
3) Appox 19 for 6 top paid forwards;
4) Approx 6 for the remaining 8 forwards

All this to say:

1) By trading Aebisher, # 1 could go down to Approx 3.5, 1.5 savings
2) By replacing Bonk's 2.4 by a young guy at .5, 1.9 could be saved
3) This is a maximum savings of 3.4;
4) Young players such as Ryder, Ribs,Higgins, Komi, Pleks and Perez, to name a few, will continue to progress and deserve/require more money;
5) A combined increase of 1 to 1.5 for these 6 guys is very likely;
6) This leaves 2 to 2.5 to satisfy Markov, Souray and Rivet, keeping the 2 Million margin Gainey seems to be looking for at 42 MM$;
7) Markov, now at 2, will probably be worth 4.5 to 5 (2,5 to 3 increase), Souray, at 2,432, will probably come in around 4 (1.5 increase) and Rivet at 2.47 could be seeking around 3 (.5 increase), which means 4.5 to 5 would be needed to keep all 3, impossible in my opinion...
8) Of course, if Souray and Rivet both leave and are replaced by younger and cheaper parts, more money is also freed...

Bottom line is we can afford Markov, but might need to revamp the rest of our defense, taking into account that Souray clearly seems to want to head for California to be closer to his kid....

Let me throw something completely crazy at you, it will never happen, one deal is already hard to get done, 3 are virtually impossible:

1) Sign JP Dumont
2) Trade Souray and Ryder to Anaheim for Vishnevsky and Beauchemin (they are reportedly interested in both and offering Vishnevsky and picks, so teh $$$ don't seem to be a problem), you get 2 young and inexpensive D's, one solid hitter to complement Komi and one offensive style, which provides depth until Cube comes back, while Burke in Anaheim can boast of having a big 3 reminescent of the late 70's Habs with Pronger, Niedermeyer and Souray;
3) Then you have the freedom, if Carbo feels Markov is not taking it to the next level, to use Markov as part of a package for that elusive big center (San Jose with Marleau evidently being a prime candidate after losing a lot of defensive depth in the Thornton and Mark Bell deals), together with Ribs and prospects...

Only speculation on my part, but it is August and there is nothing else to do hockey wise...

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:27 AM
znk

I didnt read the post. But no he's not on the block.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Habsy

Dude, the guy took the time to write it, at least take the time to read it.

You make some pretty good assessments there flower but I do not think Gainey is prepared to let our #1 defenseman go. More than likely I can see him trying to find a taker for Bonk. There are still teams out there below the salary floor that may be interested if Gainey's demands are reasonable. Say a 5th round pick or something.

That would free up enough to sign Dumont too.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:31 AM
yukoner

I don't see it

#1 - Our best passing defenseman, plays a huge offensive role in seting up plays
#2 - The russian connection, should have good chemistry with the other russians on the team, and therefore a good fit for the team.

I think the bliggers may be getting a little too desperate for some hits. They're resorting to dire measures.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:32 AM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I didnt read the post. But no he's not on the block.
lol i read it but yeah theres no way we trade him for a forward

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:38 AM
TheHoser

Please don't put any weight in the garbage that comes from Elephant Man. You're just encouraging him. He'll probably post later tonight about how a reliable source told him Bonk and Aebischer were being traded to make room for youngsters and that Dumont has signed a 9 year, 5 million dollar deal.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:46 AM
MalcomOdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
#1 - Our best passing defenseman, plays a huge offensive role in seting up plays
#2 - The russian connection, should have good chemistry with the other russians on the team, and therefore a good fit for the team.

We need Markov and one more like him!
If ever we lose him for nothing by not being able to sign him for long term, this will be the biggest mistake in a long time. Our defence will be very weak and no Power Play.

MalcomOdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:15 AM
skoivu

Where have u heard these rumours???

skoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:15 AM
MM425

Markov isn't going anywhere.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:16 AM
skoivu

NM just read the other thread. missed it be4

skoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:21 AM
bayrider

There are no rumors of markov being traded. Only falacies posted by worthless bloggers with no life.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:32 AM
sposman

I don't see Markov getting dealt now but I think it's a possibility as the deadline approaches. Gainey has backed himself into a real corner. He has to sign Markov long term but with all the over spending he has done, it's going to be hard finding the 4-5 million to sign him next year.

sposman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
bayrider

Gainey did give Ribeiro too much, Bouillon too, but here are a list of players who's contracts end next season:

Markov
Aebischer
Ribeiro
Johnson
Ryder
Souray
Rivet
Bonk
Downey

Which equals roughly $17.5M. Assuming a prospect or two replaces one of these guys within a year. We have more than enough to give Markov a hefty raise. Not to mention, we could also trade salary too by that time.

Old
08-13-2006, 11:51 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Anyone can be on the block, but I doubt we'll ever know about until they are gone. (although Gainey did say something that Aebischer could be traded in 2 weeks but it never happened)

If we trade Markov, it would be a huge blow to our defense and I don't see how he can be replaced. Imo he, Koivu and Huet have the biggest impact on the teams success, Kovalev as well.

We such poor depth on defense, how can we trade Markov without bringing in a top notched defensemen to replace him.

Last edited by montreal: 08-13-2006 at 12:19 PM.
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by sposman View Post
I don't see Markov getting dealt now but I think it's a possibility as the deadline approaches. Gainey has backed himself into a real corner. He has to sign Markov long term but with all the over spending he has done, it's going to be hard finding the 4-5 million to sign him next year.
I think that this year a lot of his spending will come to pay dividends. I'm pretty sure that the cap will increase again next year, not only that, but if he really needs to he can trade away guys like Johnson and Bonk who are always needed by teams who are looking to make the playoffs. Experience and depth is what brings the most value at the deadline.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Pat

I don't he's on the block. Markov is our only offensive threat on D, don't think Gainey would move him.
BUT, Markov being an UFA at the end of the season...Gainey might be tempted IF he gets an offer he can't refuse. an offer that, in his opinion, might make the Habs a better team. maybe a guy like Marleau might change Gainey's mind

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

[QUOTE=montreal;6275202]Anyone can be on the block, but I doubt we'll ever know about until they are gone. (although Gainey did say something that Aebischer could be traded in 2 weeks but it never happened)

If we trade Markov, it would be a huge blow to our defense and I don't see how he can be replaced. Imo he, Koivu and Huet have the biggest impact on the teams success although with Kovalev.

We such poor depth on defense, how can we trade Markov without bringing in a top notched defensemen to replace him.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the answer is right there inside your post " Markov in his final contract year, has great value and we need to upgrade on D. Maybe Markov + + for a top notch D who fits in the Gainey Carbo mold"

Quote " ZNK But no he's not on the block. "

And you know this because...? I think that most players going in to their final year are open for trades...

GRABOVSKY THE HABS NEXT SUPERSTAR ?

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:32 PM
bayrider

Even at Markovs 4.5M-5M worth next season, we are also shedding another $5M in Souray & Rivet.

I'd rather have a 1-2, even 3, threat on the blueline than have 1 good D, and a bunch of nothings playing below him.

for example:

Markov-Komi
$4M UFA or trade-Cote/Emelin/O'Byrne/Prospect
Bouillon-Dandy

I'd much rather the above than something like the Leafs last season:

Pronger-Komi
Dandy-Bouillon
Cote-Rookie

Old
08-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

We won't really know whether Markov could be on the block until January-ish, IMO. Obviously there is zero chance he could be traded right now, he's basically our cornerstone player heading into the season, and he's a huge payroll bargain.

But if for some reason we're not looking like a playoff team after the mid-way point, and perhaps if the initial talks at getting him signed to an extension are looking grim, then I guess the team does have to consider all its options. I'd personally like to think that Markov would be amenable to re-signing with us at a reasonable rate, like Koivu did last year. But he does have an agent, and they all know that Markov might be the premier defenseman on the market next summer. If our year is in the tank and he's looking like a $6M+ player to re-sign, wellllll... one at least has to look at it.

But hopefully that doomsday scenario never comes to pass. For now, we have Markov, we have optimism for the season, and there's no reason whatsoever to think of moving him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:51 PM
WoodchuckMarcel

I have searches hi and low all over the net and I cant find 1 rumour concerning Markov being traded.It wouldnt make any sense to trad your #1 D.man.Look for Gainey to reopen talks with Markov in the new year and lock him up just like he did with Koivu and Kovalev last year.The rumour probably came from a Tornto poster
who is conviced that the Leafs should have every top player in the league.Next thing you will here is Markov is really from Scarborough and he wants to play at home. Rumore make my head hurt

WoodchuckMarcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Habsy

Even if it were remotely true, no way Markov hits the block until trade deadline. By then Gainey will know what Markov's demands will be and whether or not he wants to remain a Hab.

Old
08-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Habsy

http://bs-nhlrumours.blogspot.com/

For all you blog fans.

Old
08-13-2006, 02:27 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Markov is the cornerstone of this team that is for sure.
I hope he has a career year. I think he likes Montreal I have no grounds to base that on but with the other Russians on the team I think he should feel at home here!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:36 PM
the_crippler12

I think you should rename your thread its not markov who is on the block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McSIGB5l0nI

the_crippler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:53 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Rumors surrounding Markov going the other way for a big center are a little too persistant, could this be for real?
No, no, no and NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
http://bs-nhlrumours.blogspot.com/

For all you blog fans.
ya, bull **** nhlrumours blogs, I'm pretty sure it's good

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote