HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Rangers Fan leaving New York

Old
03-29-2013, 10:24 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Zenith thinks he's in the Around the NHL thread.

Shh, nobody tell him.
lol.

I actually made another post in the Connor Allen thread that should have been in the Around the NHL thread. Got rid of it before anyone saw it, though.

03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
And then after you move, they're going to lower the prices back down, and raise them wherever you decide to go
Then, I'll hightail it to Mexico.

A bucket of lemons, limes, a bottle of tequila, a case of Corona's, a steak and bean burrito, and a bottle of NyQuil is how much down there? $3.50? I think I'll manage..somehow.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
You a cop? I ask because there is quite a noticeable ex-NYPD presence in South Carolina.

This city is getting too out of hand with raising taxes and prices, I too will be looking to relocate after a few years.
Not a cop, but a volunteer firefighter (hence the Avy of the Stanley Cup wearing turnout gear and a helmet). I was going to begin work with FDNY EMS, but when it's time to go, well, you know. I'll be looking to do it professionally down there.

I had no idea of all the ex NYPD's down there. I'm living in Westchester, and, financially, DAMN. I'll be paying chump change for penthouse luxury down there. You can get a 3 bedroom down there for less than a studio basement apartment with no hot water up here.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Heyoooo*

From Utica. Friend of mine (massive Ranger fan) moved down to Myrtle Beach years ago. Goes to a lot of Rangers-Hurricanes games. Played in a roller hockey league.

Im considering a move to warmer pastures myself. Tons of Ranger fans in the South.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:33 PM
JaeTM

Yeah, I've never wanted to leave New York either, but after living in Florida for school for over a year I love the warm winters. I just don't like knowing I can't go to Ranger/Met games anymore So I'm still undecided what I want to do.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Not a cop, but a volunteer firefighter (hence the Avy of the Stanley Cup wearing turnout gear and a helmet). I was going to begin work with FDNY EMS, but when it's time to go, well, you know. I'll be looking to do it professionally down there.

I had no idea of all the ex NYPD's down there. I'm living in Westchester, and, financially, DAMN. I'll be paying chump change for penthouse luxury down there. You can get a 3 bedroom down there for less than a studio basement apartment with no hot water up here.
Sorry about that. Didn't know if you were a cop.

Oh, I know that home prices down there are on the cheap. My uncle moved down there from the Poconos (Had to move due to all the increasing property taxes and other taxes). Settled on a home that is even bigger than the one he had in Penny.

I mean, here in NY, you pay $600,000 - 750,000 for a supposed "condominium" that's smaller than most subway apartments, or you shell out a million for a house that's no bigger than a matchbox. Down in SC, you could get yourself a mansion for like $400,000.

If I were to move there, I'd probably settle on that region myself. Mostly eying the Smokey Mountains. Right now, I'm probably most likely to be heading to Colorado.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
From Utica. Friend of mine (massive Ranger fan) moved down to Myrtle Beach years ago. Goes to a lot of Rangers-Hurricanes games. Played in a roller hockey league.

Im considering a move to warmer pastures myself. Tons of Ranger fans in the South.
Honestly, I wouldn't figure the south to be a hockey rich environment, even less than I'd expect them to be fans of NY

I'll be living in Conway, just outside Myrtle. I haven't been there since I was like four. I'm not sure what to expect.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
What's the difference between GameCenter and Center Ice?

If you have a PS3 or a 360 I know you can stream Ranger games on GameCenter. If your Internet is good enough you shouldn't have any problems. I had to watch Ranger games when I went to school in Florida and the Internet was terrible so it was skip backwards, freeze sometimes, and like others have said ruins the experience. However, if your Internet is good then I can't imagine it doing any of that stuff and I think it's cheaper than Center Ice...not sure on that though.
Center Ice, from what I understand, is a television package, similar to extra innings. Game Center is an Internet package.

I think.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:45 PM
JaeTM

Quote:
Center Ice, from what I understand, is a television package, similar to extra innings. Game Center is an Internet package.

I think.
That's what I figured. If your Internet is iffy I wouldn't risk it. If you can afford it, I'd just go Center Ice. Wouldn't want to deal with lag, skipping, delaying, etc.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't figure the south to be a hockey rich environment, even less than I'd expect them to be fans of NY

I'll be living in Conway, just outside Myrtle. I haven't been there since I was like four. I'm not sure what to expect.

I havent been there since 2004. Went in 2003 as well. Im 28.

I meant he plays in a league. Theres definitely stuff down there, and probably not as congested as up here hockey program wise, so its probably pretty easy to get into leagues down there.

Im from Upstate and hockey is a way of life here, but im impressed with whats going on down in Carolina. The Hurricanes are big down there.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Crazed Beaver

Quote:
I've been called alot worse. I'll wear it with pride.

Root for a team with Semin and Skinner? NEVER.
Lol, me too. They especially love it when you tell them general Sherman from the civil war is your hero!

Crazed Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
I havent been there since 2004. Went in 2003 as well. Im 28.

I meant he plays in a league. Theres definitely stuff down there, and probably not as congested as up here hockey program wise, so its probably pretty easy to get into leagues down there.

Im from Upstate and hockey is a way of life here, but im impressed with whats going on down in Carolina. The Hurricanes are big down there.
Unintentional double entendre

Old
03-29-2013, 10:54 PM
NickyFotiu

I think you will be very happy with your move. Thousands of people a year leave NY for the south. It is a much easier way of life. The cost of living is much more normal. The people are often nicer as well.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I think you will be very happy with your move. Thousands of people a year leave NY for the south. It is a much nicer way of life. The cost of living is much more normal. The people are often nicer.

Amen.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:22 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

I bought Gamecenter as a birthday present for my little brother because he was going to school in Flyers territory so he could watch the games. I think full season is like $180.

I use it to watch some Western Conference games, and I love it. Picture quality is great, you can watch it on your smart phone, your iPad, computer, AppleTV, Roku, or XBOX 360/PS3.

Ironically my little brother can't use it because he is technically still in NYC market despite being 10 minutes from Philly and not having MSG network where he is. So he has to use streamo.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:36 PM
ltsthinaz

My experience with people from New York is they can't ever imagine moving out of the area, but once they do, they don't ever want to go back and don't know why they didn't make the move earlier.

I moved over fifteen years ago to the West, wante to move for years but couldn't get the b**ls to do so. Now my only regret is that I didn't come out here years before. Instead of living in a crappy rental on a main street, I have a huge house in a wonderful area with all the accoutrements. Four cars (Infinitis, Toyota Tundra truck), etc.

Just be aware the South and West are much more conservative areas, and more than anything, people are wonderful, they will accept New Yorkers readily as long as they don't think they are being looked down upon.

BTW, I have Center Ice on DirecTV, wouldn't consider anything else. I get all the games (if you like other sports, be aware MLB only gets about a third of the games), but when the game is on the NBC feed or NHL Network, I don't get the MSG feed. Quality is first rate (have a 42" HDTV). Also, since I work a lot, I have a DVR with SWIM, so I can watch the games after they start, which is awesome, because Ranger games start at 4 PM here.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
My experience with people from New York is they can't ever imagine moving out of the area, but once they do, they don't ever want to go back and don't know why they didn't make the move earlier.

I moved over fifteen years ago to the West, wante to move for years but couldn't get the b**ls to do so. Now my only regret is that I didn't come out here years before. Instead of living in a crappy rental on a main street, I have a huge house in a wonderful area with all the accoutrements. Four cars (Infinitis, Toyota Tundra truck), etc.

Just be aware the South and West are much more conservative areas, and more than anything, people are wonderful, they will accept New Yorkers readily as long as they don't think they are being looked down upon.

BTW, I have Center Ice on DirecTV, wouldn't consider anything else. I get all the games (if you like other sports, be aware MLB only gets about a third of the games), but when the game is on the NBC feed or NHL Network, I don't get the MSG feed. Quality is first rate (have a 42" HDTV). Also, since I work a lot, I have a DVR with SWIM, so I can watch the games after they start, which is awesome, because Ranger games start at 4 PM here.
Thanks for all the info!
bolded: I suppose I better learn to keep my mouth shut...

Old
03-29-2013, 11:49 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Yeah, I'm getting out of here, too. Moving to Florida this summer. Everything just goes up and up and up and I'm looking around and wondering what I'm getting for all the money I pay. $15 tolls? $20+ round trip LIRR tickets for service that's a joke? Property taxes going up 10-20%/year? etc... Just done. Looking forward to it. I might not get rich down there, but I won't be freezing my ass off shoveling 20" of snow, either.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Thanks for all the info!

Thats my problem.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Thanks for all the info!
You are very welcome. As I said, overall, once you get used to it (and, trust me, you won't likely be able to get a decent bagel or a pizza down there), you'll be gald you moved. I imaginee I'm significantly older than you, so I can remember what it was to move out of New York many years ago, but now, with satellite TV's, the Internet, etc., you can live almost anywhere in the world and get to do all your favorite things. That wasn't true years ago.

One other thing I think you might like. It is so much easier to get ahead in smaller areas and life is so much more rewarding and satisfying. Just try to accept the locals as they are and they'll love you.

People in the South do not hate New Yorkers, they don't like people who prejudge them. I have had some of the nicest experiences in my life years ago in the South, once when I was stranded in a tropical storm in the 1970's.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Yeah, I'm getting out of here, too. Moving to Florida this summer. Everything just goes up and up and up and I'm looking around and wondering what I'm getting for all the money I pay. $15 tolls? $20+ round trip LIRR tickets for service that's a joke? Property taxes going up 10-20%/year? etc... Just done. Looking forward to it. I might not get rich down there, but I won't be freezing my ass off shoveling 20" of snow, either.

Yeah, all the tolls now are ****ing ridiculous. Everything is going up.

Tappan Zee toll is going to be like $14 one way.

Its time to leave the Vampire State fellas.

Miserable weather. Miserable people. Insane taxes.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:08 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Your money goes much further down south. Housing and taxes are a fraction of the cost.

In the 1980's, during the defense cutbacks, Boeing recruited tons of engineers from Grumman Aircraft in Long Island (Bethpage) to go to Seattle. Ten years later, Grumman, which by then had merged with Northrop, tried to get them back to New York with big raises. They loved it out in Washington so much, none of them came back.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
You are very welcome. As I said, overall, once you get used to it (and, trust me, you won't likely be able to get a decent bagel or a pizza down there), you'll be gald you moved. I imaginee I'm significantly older than you, so I can remember what it was to move out of New York many years ago, but now, with satellite TV's, the Internet, etc., you can live almost anywhere in the world and get to do all your favorite things. That wasn't true years ago.

One other thing I think you might like. It is so much easier to get ahead in smaller areas and life is so much more rewarding and satisfying. Just try to accept the locals as they are and they'll love you.

People in the South do not hate New Yorkers, they don't like people who prejudge them. I have had some of the nicest experiences in my life years ago in the South, once when I was stranded in a tropical storm in the 1970's.
I'm very much looking forward to a more small town type of folk. There's too much urban isolation up here for my taste; you take too many people and put them in too little space, and they fight tooth and nail for every inch. It's endlessly upsetting, and for someone who lives on existentialism, it's destructive. Though I admit, I do feel a bit like I'm running away from the struggle. That's not why I'm moving, but I can't shake the notion.

As for the bolded:

Old
03-30-2013, 12:17 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
I'm very much looking forward to a more small town type of folk. There's too much urban isolation up here for my taste; you take too many people and put them in too little space, and they fight tooth and nail for every inch. It's endlessly upsetting, and for someone who lives on existentialism, it's destructive. Though I admit, I do feel a bit like I'm running away from the struggle. That's not why I'm moving, but I can't shake the notion.

As for the bolded:
I fully understand. The reason most people don't live in these small-town areas is they think they'll be isolated, also, there are not as many good-paying jobs. But if that isn't the issue, the quality of life is just so far superior you'll never want to leave.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
I fully understand. The reason most people don't live in these small-town areas is they think they'll be isolated, also, there are not as many good-paying jobs. But if that isn't the issue, the quality of life is just so far superior you'll never want to leave.
I'm fine with isolation. And I don't expect to be rich, though, I'd have to be rich in New York to live like middle class in the south, it seems.

That pizza and bagel thing, though. Damn.