HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 01:45 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Schwartz makes every line dangerous because of his vision with and away from the puck. It's been a blast to watch him grow this year. Too often I find myself wishing he had better finishers for linemates. In the future, I see him working off the left wall or behind the net with his agility and suddenly he spins a puck to Tarasenko flashing in the slot.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Schwartz makes every line dangerous because of his vision with and away from the puck. It's been a blast to watch him grow this year. Too often I find myself wishing he had better finishers for linemates. In the future, I see him working off the left wall or behind the net with his agility and suddenly he spins a puck to Tarasenko flashing in the slot.
Obvious, but it is a shame he is not just a touch larger.

The thought of him being the pivot for something like Perron (when he is on) and Tarasenko makes me chuckle like an evil scientist.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
The rankings are a joke. Every fanbase over-rates their prospects to a degree, but Jaškin should be top 50 after how he has dominated the QMJHL this season. Only worth a laugh really.

Binnington isn't having much luck in the OHL playoffs. .949 save percentage and 1.83 GAA through 4 games, and the series is tied at 2-2! If he keeps up that standard of play, you have to imagine that they'll eventually get through.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:39 PM
BadgersandBlues

vCash: 500
I have been all about the Schwartz bandwagon this year. The kid has -never- put his head down no matter what the personnel decision. (Remember he was a healthy scratch a couple of times this year) Simply seems to want to learn, become a great professional athlete, and help his team in whatever way he can.

Can't ask for any more then that from a player.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
I have been all about the Schwartz bandwagon this year. The kid has -never- put his head down no matter what the personnel decision. (Remember he was a healthy scratch a couple of times this year) Simply seems to want to learn, become a great professional athlete, and help his team in whatever way he can.

Can't ask for any more then that from a player.
That's the exact opinion I have of him. If Hitch wants to change some things up and push him down to the fourth, he's going to be out there banging bodies(as well as he's can ) and giving the opposition hell on the fore check every shift. If he's with guys that can put the puck in the net, he can play that game too. Has anyone seen him take a shift off in the NHL? I certainly haven't. Even if he only gets 8 minutes per game, it's going to be a HARD 8 minutes. I've been nothing but impressed with him this season.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I'm sick of the crap people say about Hitch ruining prospects. He has a master plan for each player, it seems. Schwartz? I like what (I think) Hitch is trying to do. It's like he wants him to become a much better version of Sobotka...Basically the best player a relatively small guy could be.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
That's the exact opinion I have of him. If Hitch wants to change some things up and push him down to the fourth, he's going to be out there banging bodies(as well as he's can ) and giving the opposition hell on the fore check every shift. If he's with guys that can put the puck in the net, he can play that game too. Has anyone seen him take a shift off in the NHL? I certainly haven't. Even if he only gets 8 minutes per game, it's going to be a HARD 8 minutes. I've been nothing but impressed with him this season.
I agree with this. Schwartz is doing all he's been asked to do, and doing a very good job of it, at that. He is just getting used to the fast paced, hard hitting, little operating space NHL game. As he adjusts and gets stronger, he'll have a pass a couple "thresholds", in which things will "click" for him, and his progress will be much more visable to the casual onlooker (he'll look like a much, much more effective player-on BOTH ends of the ice). This is why I wouldn't trade him off so early in his career. His growth and effectiveness will change exponentially.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:59 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I agree with this. Schwartz is doing all he's been asked to do, and doing a very good job of it, at that. He is just getting used to the fast paced, hard hitting, little operating space NHL game. As he adjusts and gets stronger, he'll have a pass a couple "thresholds", in which things will "click" for him, and his progress will be much more visable to the casual onlooker (he'll look like a much, much more effective player-on BOTH ends of the ice). This is why I wouldn't trade him off so early in his career. His growth and effectiveness will change exponentially.
Schwartz has looked really good this season. I'm much more comfortable with the thought that he will replace McDonald in the future than I was at the beginning of the season.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:42 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Schwartz has looked really good this season. I'm much more comfortable with the thought that he will replace McDonald in the future than I was at the beginning of the season.
While at the same time not being due some big bridge contract (barring some type of Parise breakout) after 13-14. The Schwartz plan is really going smoothly IMO. This kid is probably going to pan out, and so will Tarasenko, meaning the Ratties/Jaskins either get used in trades for LHD or they're used internally to replace more expensive current forwards in such a deal.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Have to agree with everything on Schwartz this year. He is a mature kid. He takes what Hitchcock says to heart and works his butt off to impress Hitch. Once he hits 21 years old I see him having a big breakout year. He will be fully used to the NHL level and grow a little as well as getting stronger. He already shows he can win puck battles against guys twice his size and still manage to push them around. His progression has been great so far and look forward to him growing into a dynamic playmaking 2-way player.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:56 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
While at the same time not being due some big bridge contract (barring some type of Parise breakout) after 13-14. The Schwartz plan is really going smoothly IMO. This kid is probably going to pan out, and so will Tarasenko, meaning the Ratties/Jaskins either get used in trades for LHD or they're used internally to replace more expensive current forwards in such a deal.
I would like to hope the Blues trade current roster players under contract to fill that hole, allowing them to install cost-controlled players like Rattie and Jaskin, freeing up the money for Stewart, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, etc.

The idea being that it is a relatively cost-neutral move for the Blues, as opposed to trading futures for a piece that will add significantly to the payroll.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Ty Rattie with 5 points (3G for the hat-trick and 2A) after only two periods of play tonight against Everett. Also a +5 so far tonight.

It's just unfair for the poor Silvertips.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Ty Rattie with 5 points (3G for the hat-trick and 2A) after only two periods of play tonight against Everett. Also a +5 so far tonight.

It's just unfair for the poor Silvertips.
So even playing 6 and and 9 games less than the 2 regular season scorers who were on Rattie's team he only finished 10 points behind them. Playing 6 or even 9 more games would have easily been the leading scorer of the WHL regular season and is now leading the playoffs in points. If anything happens in the off-season it will be interesting to see Jaskin and Rattie possibly fighting each other for a spot on the roster.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:22 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
So even playing 6 and and 9 games less than the 2 regular season scorers who were on Rattie's team he only finished 10 points behind them. Playing 6 or even 9 more games would have easily been the leading scorer of the WHL regular season and is now leading the playoffs in points. If anything happens in the off-season it will be interesting to see Jaskin and Rattie possibly fighting each other for a spot on the roster.
I think it's pretty likely that Jaskin comes up as a left wing and Rattie as a right wing. It's really unlikely Rattie would get checking line duty, so if the Blues don't move a scoring line right winger, he'll probably start in the minors regardless. Jaskin, however, especially considering his size, has a better chance of making it on the left side, especially if they let McDonald go. So I'm not sure they'll ever battle each other for a spot unless the Blues like Jaskin on the right, too.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I think it's pretty likely that Jaskin comes up as a left wing and Rattie as a right wing. It's really unlikely Rattie would get checking line duty, so if the Blues don't move a scoring line right winger, he'll probably start in the minors regardless. Jaskin, however, especially considering his size, has a better chance of making it on the left side, especially if they let McDonald go. So I'm not sure they'll ever battle each other for a spot unless the Blues like Jaskin on the right, too.
Regardless Rattie is showing he is only a year or 2 away from the NHL. It also shows he wasn't a product of Baertschi.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

The only way either Rattie or Jaskin makes the team is if a major trade happens. Steen, Perron, and Schwartz on the left with Stewart, Oshie, and Tarasenko on the right.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The only way either Rattie or Jaskin makes the team is if a major trade happens. Steen, Perron, and Schwartz on the left with Stewart, Oshie, and Tarasenko on the right.
Steen can also play center, as can Schwartz and Oshie (has at times) as well. With the emergence of Sobotka's offensive game, and Backes not going anywhere, I am starting the think Berglund is the odd Blue out.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:56 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Steen can also play center, as can Schwartz and Oshie (has at times) as well. With the emergence of Sobotka's offensive game, and Backes not going anywhere, I am starting the think Berglund is the odd Blue out.
Steen and Oshie are way more effective on the wing, and Schwartz played wing in college and in the NHL, I don't think the center experiment in the AHL went all that well. I think it is a good chance that Lehtera is one of the top 9 centers next season or at least will have an inside shot at a spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see us move Berglund.

Still don't see Jaskin or Rattie starting the season with the big club unless they have a ridiculous camp.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:00 AM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Steen and Oshie are way more effective on the wing, and Schwartz played wing in college and in the NHL, I don't think the center experiment in the AHL went all that well. I think it is a good chance that Lehtera is one of the top 9 centers next season or at least will have an inside shot at a spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see us move Berglund.
I agree on Steen being more effective on wing.

Oshie has really only played center a few times, but when he has, he has been fairly impressive there. I do wonder if given his skillset, he would do fairly well there.

Personally, again with a small sample size, I have liked what I have seen out of Schwartz at center. I am wondering if it didn't go well for him in the AHL more due to the lack of quality wingers he played with.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:02 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Oshie has not been impressive at center. He hasn't played center since a couple times when he was a sophomore in college. What is this. Why not just put Pietrangelo at center, he is a good player it could work

Old
03-30-2013, 12:03 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I agree on Steen being more effective on wing.

Oshie has really only played center a few times, but when he has, he has been fairly impressive there. I do wonder if given his skillset, he would do fairly well there.

Personally, again with a small sample size, I have liked what I have seen out of Schwartz at center. I am wondering if it didn't go well for him in the AHL more due to the lack of quality wingers he played with.
Probably the quality of wingers. If Schwartz can continue to add strength, I think he could do well as a center and he could be that playmaker that we need in the future. Hitchcock isn't against smaller centers it looks like, but Schwartz definitely still has some bulking up to do.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:05 AM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Oshie has not been impressive at center. He hasn't played center since a couple times when he was a sophomore in college. What is this. Why not just put Pietrangelo at center, he is a good player it could work
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...9bb30f31a.html

It happened, Pocketnines. It was brief, but I do remember liking what I saw. Apparently so did Hitchcock.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:06 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Regardless Rattie is showing he is only a year or 2 away from the NHL. It also shows he wasn't a product of Baertschi.
Yea, I was never worried about that, personally. The Blues said unequivocally that they were surprised by how NHL-ready his offensive game was in the training camp after he was drafted. Watching him play, you could tell he wasn't Baertschi's passenger.

He is smart, skilled, and appears to have a talent for getting dangerous shots off before the goalie is ready whenever the puck is on his stick. Nevertheless, he is a player I have trouble projecting at the NHL level. He could step in immediately as a scoring line player and top out as a first liner or it could take him a while to establish himself and only ever be a scoring third liner who doesn't mesh with every type of linemate. I get the feeling the rest of the hockey world has the same uncertainty, which is why he slipped and why people said he was a product of Baertschi.

But, to be honest, I really like sleeper prospects like that. Guys like Henrique, Marchand, and Stepan, who are known to be good, but still surprise once they hit the NHL.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:08 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...9bb30f31a.html

It happened, Pocketnines. It was brief, but I do remember liking what I saw. Apparently so did Hitchcock.
My take is that he was more pleasantly surprised than thinking it could be a full-time thing. I don't think he has the speed to be an effective 200 foot center.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:09 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
My take is that he was more pleasantly surprised than thinking it could be a full-time thing. I don't think he has the speed to be an effective 200 foot center.
Osh is every bit as fast as Berglund and Backes I'm not advocating putting Oshie at center, but speed is not the issue.

Closed Thread