HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who needs or who would take Ribeiro?

Old
08-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Kafka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
He had 3 pts in 11 games in the 2004 playoffs.

Gainey only resigned him to a 1-year contract.
So he did for Ryder. With UFAs at 27 years old, the market will be more open, and GMs won't need to sign players for long term contract.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
So he did for Ryder. With UFAs at 27 years old, the market will be more open, and GMs won't need to sign players for long term contract.
Ryder went to arbitration. You've got read the whole post.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 03:59 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
No, he did not

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 04:01 PM
bayrider

Quote:
Ryder and Gainey came to terms on a Saturday. The arbitration date was on a Tuesday.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 04:07 PM
HabuseMoi

Ribeiro would have gotten more than 1 year if he would have been UFA, or he wouldn't have signed here.

Gainey will probably sign most of our RFA with one years contract during his stay with the team.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:00 PM
habslife

See you next week for the next Ribeiro Bashing Thread...

Any predictions to who will be posting the next one????

I even saw someone bashing Ribeiro in a Carey Price Thread

Give him a break!

habslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Kirk Muller*

The team that needs Ribeiro the most is Montréal. We don't have anybody with his offensive talent to replace him at this point.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:13 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
The team that needs Ribeiro the most is Montréal. We don't have anybody with his offensive talent to replace him at this point.
We don't need someone to replace Ribeiro's offensive talent.. we just need to replace his presence which is something Plekanec can do.

Having talent, and actually using it are two different things as we've seen with Ribeiro the past 8-10 years.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:14 PM
TheHoser

I hear the Greenville Grrrowl and HC Davos are interested.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
We don't need someone to replace Ribeiro's offensive talent.. we just need to replace his presence which is something Plekanec can do.

Having talent, and actually using it are two different things as we've seen with Ribeiro the past 8-10 years.
I honestly think that Ribeiro's on his way there, and that Gainey giving him a 72% raise is an indication that he thinks so too. Ribeiro showed lots of progress in his overall game last year. I think he will break out this year. If I am wrong, then obviously he will be gone.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:24 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

And suddenly Plekanec is going to be our first liner , because we know who is going to get we know what ...

thank to share your acknowledgements with us

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:45 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
And suddenly Plekanec is going to be our first liner , because we know who is going to get we know what ...

thank to share your acknowledgements with us
Acknowledgements? Try again pal.

When Koivu gets injured, we're ****ed even with Ribeiro there. It's going to be the same old story with Ribs. Underweight and slow. We've gone through this pretty much every year since 2000 and I'm left to wonder why he would suddenly decide to change at this point in time?

Old
08-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
No, he did not

You are right. he was GOING to arbitration. In terms of the contract length it makes absolutely no difference because 1-year is all you're going to get out of it. Either way Ribeiro's contract negotiations were taking place in a different context, so comparing his contract to Ryder's is simply a way to create an appealing rationale. When it comes down to it, if the Habs wanted Ribeiro long term they would have offered him a long term contract. There's nothing overly complicated about it.

If you want to know my opinion about Ryder, though, I think the Habs will shop him and Aebischer around to find Ribeiro's replacement. As far as I can tell he and Aebischer are the only players with enough combined value to get a quality second-line centre. So don't be surprised if Ryder is not in the club's long term plans either.

Last edited by Catch-22: 08-12-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old
08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Drury is a nice player, but once again a player on the smaller side and I think we have a similar player here in Montreal already in Higgins.
Didnt realize he was that small but I would still take him anyday of the week, he rock big time and I would be so glad to see him in a Habs uni

He have grit, 2way skills and talent. Ribs only have talent.. and he speak french

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I honestly think that Ribeiro's on his way there, and that Gainey giving him a 72% raise is an indication that he thinks so too. Ribeiro showed lots of progress in his overall game last year. I think he will break out this year. If I am wrong, then obviously he will be gone.
Ditto.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:11 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGuyGuy View Post
And for what??????

Calgary looks like they are missing a centerman.... for Lombardi
Washington for ??????

Ribeiro cannot play on the second line with Samsonov and Kovalev!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please Bob PLEASE get rid of him
he can an he will and it will be called our first line .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:14 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
And for what??????

Calgary looks like they are missing a centerman.... for Lombardi
Washington for ??????

Ribeiro cannot play on the second line with Samsonov and Kovalev!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please Bob PLEASE get rid of him
he can and he will , and it will be called our first line .

Old
08-13-2006, 12:18 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi
Maybe the woman was offering sex to him?

DUHHHH I did not want to be rude but he was muff diving in there.... In a public washroom!!!! Punk got scared of my friend
this post is slanderous and should be stopped .

Old
08-13-2006, 12:35 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
ryder re-signed , no arbitration involved , you need to get your facts straight .

Old
08-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Teufelsdreck

This type of thread is redundant and grossly oversimplified. It's as though you can get rid of Ribeiro the way you can use dental floss to get at something sticking between your teeth.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:

LOL

8-10 years! The guy is 26...he hasn't been in the NHL that long! Get real! Not only that, but he was great in junior play, look at some of his junior stats at http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-canadiens
100 assists in 1998-1999 and being +50...wow I'd hate to have him put up those numbers...and what a horrible showing of TALENT!!I've seen him use that talent very well at the NHL level he often shows flashes of greatness which is what has frustrated people because he's average most days. To me, you'd be signing a totally different tune if the guy picked up some speed.

IMO Pleks is NOT ready to be our steady #2 man he lacks the maturity and experience. Putting a guy like him full time with Sammy and Kovy will be just like asking them not to play here anymore. Kovy wants someone with some skill to feed him, and showed better chemistry with Ribs than he did with Koivu. If he melds well with Sammy we could have an incredible second line.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
ryder re-signed , no arbitration involved , you need to get your facts straight .

Ryder was GOING to arbitration and the effect is the same. That is a fact. I already responded to a similar post. Please read the thread.

Ryder's situation and Ribeiro's are different. No matter how many people split hairs over the fact that Ryder was going to arbitration or went, comparing them makes no sense. It does not change the fact that Ribeiro's contract length still implies that his time is almost up. After last playoffs, few things are as obvious as that.

Last edited by Catch-22: 08-13-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old
08-13-2006, 12:05 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
LOL

8-10 years! The guy is 26...he hasn't been in the NHL that long! Get real! Not only that, but he was great in junior play, look at some of his junior stats at http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-canadiens
100 assists in 1998-1999 and being +50...wow I'd hate to have him put up those numbers...and what a horrible showing of TALENT!!I've seen him use that talent very well at the NHL level he often shows flashes of greatness which is what has frustrated people because he's average most days. To me, you'd be signing a totally different tune if the guy picked up some speed.

IMO Pleks is NOT ready to be our steady #2 man he lacks the maturity and experience. Putting a guy like him full time with Sammy and Kovy will be just like asking them not to play here anymore. Kovy wants someone with some skill to feed him, and showed better chemistry with Ribs than he did with Koivu. If he melds well with Sammy we could have an incredible second line.
Ten years ago Mikey Ribs came onto the map as a 16 year old Junior league scorer who couldn't skate properly. Scouts also noted his frame as an issue but were convinced that some time and training could fix that. Then he gets drafted in 1998, still a painfully slow skater and in major need of filling out, and becomes an instant media talking point. We're here in 2006, 8 years into a mickey mouse project, and it's still status-quo for Ribeiro. Slow and weak.

Plekanec might never put up 65-points in his career but if he plays on our second line and pops 16-17 goals with 30-35 assists, he becomes a more valuable 2nd center than Ribeiro. He's not a retard with the puck, you know. I don't think Kovy would complain too much, especially after cap-gun Ribeiro couldn't muster an NHL level shot in the playoffs, since Pleks can hold his own offensively and win faceoffs more often than not.

Old
08-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Ten years ago Mikey Ribs came onto the map as a 16 year old Junior league scorer who couldn't skate properly. Scouts also noted his frame as an issue but were convinced that some time and training could fix that. Then he gets drafted in 1998, still a painfully slow skater and in major need of filling out, and becomes an instant media talking point. We're here in 2006, 8 years into a mickey mouse project, and it's still status-quo for Ribeiro. Slow and weak.

Plekanec might never put up 65-points in his career but if he plays on our second line and pops 16-17 goals with 30-35 assists, he becomes a more valuable 2nd center than Ribeiro. He's not a retard with the puck, you know. I don't think Kovy would complain too much, especially after cap-gun Ribeiro couldn't muster an NHL level shot in the playoffs, since Pleks can hold his own offensively and win faceoffs more often than not.

I'm not calling him a retard, but he's just not ready. I could see him getting a call-up or even giving him a regular shift on the 3rd or 4th line this year. But right now he's an AHL player and that's where he belongs for at least one more year.

And Ribs played well during the playoffs, after Koivu got injured pretty much the whole team fizzled. Looking at all the second line centres in the NHL, ribs is pretty well in the middle of the pack as far as talent and capabilities. His old reviews were seeing him as a future #1 if he bulked up and picked up some speed; but he didn't so he's a #2. I'd love to have him fill out and work on his speed and really dominate. It would be nice to see someone with more talent and physical domanance but we don't have anyone who's ready to do that. So we have to deal with it, especially if Koivu's not coming back at 100%. We'll need Ribs really badly.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 12:43 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I'm not calling him a retard, but he's just not ready. I could see him getting a call-up or even giving him a regular shift on the 3rd or 4th line this year. But right now he's an AHL player and that's where he belongs for at least one more year.
Are you talking about Plekanec?