HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks purchase the Peoria Rivermen (Post #162)

Old
03-29-2013, 10:16 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

vCash: 500
Step 1 complete...

JumpierPegasus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Filiatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I think you will all be disappointed when you find this trend continues somewhat.

I think going forward you will find that there will be less vets in the lineup, but the vets will still get a coach's preference.
If this trend continues somewhat, I wont be disappointed.

I used to be a proponent of play your young prospects as much as possible, but after observing our Manitoba affiliate my opinion has changed.

Losing is habbit forming. Players should not be handed ice time in the NHL (unless you're tanking), so why should the prospects expect any different?

If you want more ice, play better, work harder. Send the right message right from the start of their career.

Filiatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Schroeder View Post

I used to be a proponent of play your young prospects as much as possible, but after observing our Manitoba affiliate my opinion has changed.

Losing is habbit forming. Players should not be handed ice time in the NHL (unless you're tanking), so why should the prospects expect any different?

If you want more ice, play better, work harder. Send the right message right from the start of their career.
I agree with this, though I also think the Wolves are a little too saturated with vets. For example, whole veteran lines as opposed to veteran line mates and prospects forming lines by themselves.

Hopefully the next years farm team strikes the best balance.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:08 AM
NoShowWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post

abbotsford aviators with that logo and jersey, i would buy that in a heart beat
that would be awesome.

NoShowWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Aviators would be a sick name

Has a nice ring to it, scream this.

ZGOALLL SCOREDDD BYYYYYY JENSEN, WHAT A GOAL BY THE AVIATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTORS!

i like it

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:

Still, I'd rather Gillis have 100% control over which veterans get brought in to support the kids. It wasn't a big issue with the Wolves, but veteran slots in the AHL are limited and you don't want to waste one on, say, a winger who's popular with the local fans when what you really need is a centre.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:11 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Wonder how soon they'll be able to create that western division?

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Still, I'd rather Gillis have 100% control over which veterans get brought in to support the kids. It wasn't a big issue with the Wolves, but veteran slots in the AHL are limited and you don't want to waste one on, say, a winger who's popular with the local fans when what you really need is a centre.
I agree with this. For all the crowing about how the Wolves were a separate entity from the Canucks and the kids weren't getting enough playing time because of AHL vets like Haydar, etc, I reckon the Canucks organization had a tougher time having their concerns heard when the Moose were our affiliate.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:18 AM
KillerWhale

If they relocate to Abbotsford I'd name them the Fraser Valley Canucks. Alternate their uniform every few years with our past logos, such as the skate, V, orca, stick and rink, and millionaries, all while sticking with the blue, green and white colour scheme.

KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:22 AM
deckercky

How much of the staff that was involved with Peoria would be transferred with this? St. Louis has done a good job developing talent in Peoria, so I would assume that there's some people worth keeping around from the Canucks perspective.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:25 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

I think the team will move to Victoria, just so poor teams have to take the ferry

Stories Tales Lies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:57 AM
silvercanuck

Fraser Valley Canucks

logo from the 1962-70 WHL Canucks

uniform based on 1969-70 WHL Canucks

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:31 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Fraser Valley Canucks
"The Canucks have recalled blahblahblah from the Canucks"

I'm all for bringing back the Voodoo name. Who's with me?! *crickets*

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:43 AM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
I think the team will move to Victoria, just so poor teams have to take the ferry
you know that victoria has an airport, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Fraser Valley Canucks

logo from the 1962-70 WHL Canucks

uniform based on 1969-70 WHL Canucks
vancouver canucks farm team, with those jerseys, should be the abbotsford johnnies.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:45 AM
TheDiver*

Say you have a Ballard or a Booth or a Luongo, and you want to bury their contracts in the minors, they could literally keep their Yaletown apartments and just take a car service everyday to Abbotsford and earn the same cash.

Your Abbotsford players could keep their apartments in Langley and drive either 20 mins to Abbotsford's rink or less than an hour to Rogers Arena.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
"The Canucks have recalled blahblahblah from the Canucks"

I'm all for bringing back the Voodoo name. Who's with me?! *crickets*
I loved the Voodoo. Tiger Williams coaching them was awesome.

Samzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
you know that victoria has an airport, right?
Yea there's airports all over the place, I was being silly

Stories Tales Lies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Say you have a Ballard or a Booth or a Luongo, and you want to bury their contracts in the minors, they could literally keep their Yaletown apartments and just take a car service everyday to Abbotsford and earn the same cash.

Your Abbotsford players could keep their apartments in Langley and drive either 20 mins to Abbotsford's rink or less than an hour to Rogers Arena.
Not with the new CBA you can't. Anything over and above 900k counts towards the NHL cap.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:02 AM
thefeebster

Quote:

+1. Far too many here expect everything to be given to our prospect or they think the Wolves have some sort of vendetta against our prospects, despite last year and multiple examples proving them to be false. It just falls on deaf ears.

I'm happy for the Canucks for finally owning their own affiliate, but by no means are the Wolves a vindictive or bad affiliate, as people portray them to be.

It will be a good start this fall, new affiliate, and a lot incoming prospects. It will be exciting.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:11 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

For the love of God, just nothing with a fish logo.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:13 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
I loved the Voodoo. Tiger Williams coaching them was awesome.
Voodoo were cool. Williams is a feminine hygiene product, though, and wasn't much of a coach.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
+1. Far too many here expect everything to be given to our prospect or they think the Wolves have some sort of vendetta against our prospects, despite last year and multiple examples proving them to be false. It just falls on deaf ears.

I'm happy for the Canucks for finally owning their own affiliate, but by no means are the Wolves a vindictive or bad affiliate, as people portray them to be.

It will be a good start this fall, new affiliate, and a lot incoming prospects. It will be exciting.
While that's true, there's definitely some bias towards guys like Haydar and Sterling (who are Wolves' favourites) and I'm not convinced that it comes from Arniel.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:48 AM
WolfKeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Wonder how soon they'll be able to create that western division?
Not anytime soon.

They would need at least four, preferably five teams to relocate west. Most of the NHL teams out west have their teams in the AHL's Eastern Conference, and moving them will disrupt the economics of the AHL, as that conference is bus-centric. When the Chicago Wolves joined the AHL, we actually played a few teams in the Eastern Conference the first few seasons. That practice has since been eliminated citing the economics of travel, because the teams in the Eastern Conference can't afford it.

If anything, the other 29 AHL teams are probably wondering how soon they can get rid of the mistake of giving Abbotsford a team.

Last edited by WolfKeeper: 03-30-2013 at 09:09 AM.
WolfKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:36 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
While that's true, there's definitely some bias towards guys like Haydar and Sterling (who are Wolves' favourites) and I'm not convinced that it comes from Arniel.
Haydar was played in the same opportunities (1st/2nd line RW and 1st PP) last season with MacT, but since he rolled his lines fairly evenly it wasn't a concern and we didn't hear many complaints last year. Were there many complaints regarding Reinprecht? He took a lot of icetime from Schroeder last season as he was able to PK, on 1st PP and on the 1st line. Don't remember one person throwing a fit about him. I think some people wanted him back.

Jason Krog, Marco Rosa, Jaffray, Desbiens played a ton of minutes and got a ton of opportunity on the Moose, yet we didn't hear they were vindictive or biased.

When the Wolves bring in their player, they are trying to cut down our prospects icetime/development and win over everything else. When he Moose brought in their own player and some people would be excited because of Heisinger's ability to find talent (Burrows) and embraced the players (Pope). It's nonsensical.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
I think even more then the move to Abby, I think this is a change that is in place so the canucks can play there prospects a hell of a lot more and not some scrubs who will never see the NHL.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote