HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nino Niederreiter to Calgary

Old
03-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
saw the thread title and was coming in to post Giordano for NN...

like others have pointed out, that's a deal that makes a lot of sense for both teams.

To NYI fans saying NN is too valuable a prospect to trade 1-for-1 for Giordano, I'd say this is a case where, even though they may be right from a pure talent pov (assuming, and it's far from a given, NN lives up to his talent and becomes a 30+ goal scorer), from a needs/value/timing pov, it still makes sense.

NYI have a lot of young talent in place, what they don't have is the kind of solid veteran play & poise Giordano brings, especially not in the "gritty guy who can play big minutes" role.

Giordano is struggling offensively this year, but can be a 30-40pt guy when used properly, and he brings a very underrated top-pairing defensive game to the table.

I'd jump on it from a NYI pov.

From the flames side, I'd have more hesitation... but ultimately, NN is a kid with immense talent, and if their going to do the re-build thing right, adding a prospect of his caliber (and being in a situation where they can play him a lot & be patient for him to evolve) is worth giving up the sure commodity in Giordano.

good mix of risk-reward for both teams.

NYI, being on the cusp of getting back to the playoffs (which a guy like Giordano would help impact now and in the next 2-3 years, while providing leadership for the strong young players already with the team), can afford the gamble.

Calgary, having moved Iginla, should just bite the bullet and land as many quality young players as they can even at the risk of pushing a return to the playoff beyond this season. (and getting a guy like NN, who is ready to step back into the NHL now, and maybe 2-3 years away from being a solid/consistent contributor, is better than getting picks or prospects that are further away).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaveras4pres View Post
based on Nino last year, yes. this year no. and I have to think that last year Nino was misused for reasons beyond his control
what has nino done this year?
what has giordano done this year?

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
I'd rather keep Reinhart than trade him for Nino.
Max Reinhart doesn't even get you into the ballpark guy. You can keep your mid level prospect. We have no interest in dealing Nino for two nonsense prospects. What a joke. Would you take Andrey Pedan and Johan Sundstrom for Sven Baertschi? Probably not

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:55 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

If the Isles are trading Nino I think they will want a young goalie coming back, someone like Bernier.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
and getting a guy like NN, who is ready to step back into the NHL now, and maybe 2-3 years away from being a solid/consistent contributor, is better than getting picks or prospects that are further away.
thats solid reasoning for calgary but not the Isles, we already have 2 veteran defensemen In Streit and Visnovsky, since most of what we see as our core is 2-3 years away from being a solid/consistent contributors, Nino fits right in

this season is an aberation even columbus is right there in the playoff chase, even better than our isles. it would be foolish to misread where we really are based on faulty evidence

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
thats solid reasoning for calgary but not the Isles, we already have 2 veteran defensemen In Streit and Visnovsky, since most of what we see as our core is 2-3 years away from being a solid/consistent contributors, Nino fits right in

this season is an aberation even columbus is right there in the playoff chase, even better than our isles. it would be foolish to misread where we really are based on faulty evidence
And Vis is in the fold for the next 2 seasons.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday
Arthur Staple‏@StapeNewsday6m
Hearing Lubo Visnovsky's new contract with #Isles is done. 2 years, $9.5 million.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
If the Isles are trading Nino I think they will want a young goalie coming back, someone like Bernier.
that makes more sense from an asset management stance than Gio for sure

Old
03-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
And Vis is in the fold for the next 2 seasons.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday
Arthur Staple‏@StapeNewsday6m
Hearing Lubo Visnovsky's new contract with #Isles is done. 2 years, $9.5 million.
nice someone to mentor Donovan and Hopefully Kichton, Im praying we get him signed, the kid has done more than scouts have expected at every level, Even if he doesnt have prototypical measurables, some players just play better on ice than on paper

Old
03-29-2013, 09:08 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
WHY? why do we need a young goalie? Nabakov wants to stay another year or two. What has made us lose faith in Poulin and Nilsson that should be ready to take the reins in the next year or two.

As Far as this thread, Gio would be nice but we really need to get another top winger to ease in our new crop of prospects. We need to not give the kids the keys to the car before they have their license.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
what has nino done this year?
what has giordano done this year?
Nino 26G/19A AHL All-star at 22

Mark Giordano 3G/5A -4 30 yrs old

Old
03-29-2013, 09:17 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
nice someone to mentor Donovan and Hopefully Kichton, Im praying we get him signed, the kid has done more than scouts have expected at every level, Even if he doesnt have prototypical measurables, some players just play better on ice than on paper
I keep reminding myself that Matt Martin's signing didn't go smoothly, but in the end Snow got him signed.

It would suck to lose a promising youngster like Kitchon.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 50
Quote:

Thing is. You guys are on the "up". The Flames are on the "down". Giordano is a really good defensman and can provide veteran leadership and experience for a really young team pushing for the playoffs. At some point you're going to have to realize that your team has reached a point where it is going to have to start sacrificing futures for pieces that add to the team now.

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
WHY? why do we need a young goalie? Nabakov wants to stay another year or two. What has made us lose faith in Poulin and Nilsson that should be ready to take the reins in the next year or two.

As Far as this thread, Gio would be nice but we really need to get another top winger to ease in our new crop of prospects. We need to not give the kids the keys to the car before they have their license.
Well Nilsson has not played all year, Poulin has looked shaky in the AHL and he couple of games for the Islanders this season.

In my opinion Nabakov is overrated, he lets up a lot of weak goals, hes getting older and its showing. If Bernier is available it would be smart to get him. He could possibly solve our net issues for the next 5-10 years. Bernier is on a different level than Poulin and Nilsson.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

it's not just having "veterans", it's also the physical aspect Giordano brings, which neither Streit (who is UFA after this year, no?) nor Vishnovsky bring to the table at all.

having depth guys like Carkner or Finley who can throw their weight around is one thing, but aside from Hamonic (who is still pretty green himself), Isles don't have a solid physical top-4 presence... Giordano, while not overly big, plays a tough game and would be a perfect top-4 complement to Hamonic/Vishnovsky/Streit (if he returns)... much better than McD.

Gio leads the flames D in hits & takeaways, 2nd in blocked shots, and isn't at all out of place on the PP/in a top-4 offensive support role.

in any case, I'm a fan of neither team so i have no skin in the game... from what i know of both clubs, i'd pull the trigger pretty easily from either side

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
it's not just having "veterans", it's also the physical aspect Giordano brings, which neither Streit (who is UFA after this year, no?) nor Vishnovsky bring to the table at all.

having depth guys like Carkner or Finley who can throw their weight around is one thing, but aside from Hamonic (who is still pretty green himself), Isles don't have a solid physical top-4 presence... Giordano, while not overly big, plays a tough game and would be a perfect top-4 complement to Hamonic/Vishnovsky/Streit (if he returns)... much better than McD.

Gio leads the flames D in hits & takeaways, 2nd in blocked shots, and isn't at all out of place on the PP/in a top-4 offensive support role.

in any case, I'm a fan of neither team so i have no skin in the game... from what i know of both clubs, i'd pull the trigger pretty easily from either side
I really wouldnt.

put it this way would a team with a top 5 pick this year trade it for Giordano, not a chance in hell..... Nino has done nothing to dissuade the Isles that he's not going to be all the thought they were getting when they picked him

I like Gio but not enough to give up those kinds of assets, you may persuade a veteran team to give up a first, but from them its a late 1st and much more of a crapshoot

Old
03-29-2013, 10:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Nino 26G/19A AHL All-star at 22Mark Giordano 3G/5A -4 30 yrs old
hes ONLY 20

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Thing is. You guys are on the "up". The Flames are on the "down". Giordano is a really good defensman and can provide veteran leadership and experience for a really young team pushing for the playoffs. At some point you're going to have to realize that your team has reached a point where it is going to have to start sacrificing futures for pieces that add to the team now.
maybe, but not top 5 picks for 30+ veterans. We have Visnovsky and Streit and Carkner as vets. and Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan and Pelech who are all highly rated, on the way.....Gio at that price is counter productive.

I realize youd like to speed up your own rebuild but youll have to look in another direction

Old
03-29-2013, 10:10 PM
luki here

Quote:

wouldnt be an all star based on his play in his last 30 games. half-season all star

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Baertschi for Nino what I deem fair.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:14 PM
herashak

Quote:
maybe, but not top 5 picks for 30+ veterans. We have Visnovsky and Streit and Carkner as vets. and Reinhart, Mayfield, Pedan and Pelech who are all highly rated, on the way.....Gio at that price is counter productive.

I realize youd like to speed up your own rebuild but youll have to look in another direction
At that price? Not sure what your d line up looks like but gio can come in a be a real good #3. Seeing how much visnosky got gio's salary is pretty good.

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Baertschi for Nino what I deem fair.
id agree. but then Calgary isnt getting a young potential 1st liner for a 30 year old defender who will be nearing retirement, when theyre ready to win

one trade is easy to do for them
the other not so much

Old
03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
At that price? Not sure what your d line up looks like but gio can come in a be a real good #3. Seeing how much visnosky got gio's salary is pretty good.
like I said id take him for a 2nd. but I wouldnt give a 1st or Nino for him, thats just his value to us im sure you could get more elsewhere

The assets you want have more value long term to us than Gio would

Old
03-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Quote:
I really wouldnt.

put it this way would a team with a top 5 pick this year trade it for Giordano, not a chance in hell..... Nino has done nothing to dissuade the Isles that he's not going to be all the thought they were getting when they picked him

I like Gio but not enough to give up those kinds of assets, you may persuade a veteran team to give up a first, but from them its a late 1st and much more of a crapshoot
Philly might do it for Bouw...

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Philly might do it for Bouw...
i hope youre right, I have no dislike for Calgary, I married a calgary girl, and I dont like the Flyers. but logic tells me they wont for much the same reasons

the team I could see is Detroit..... Datsyuk and Zetterburg arent getting any younger. they might go for one more hurrah

Old
03-30-2013, 02:43 AM
LotteryForLife*

I just don't see these two teams as good trade partners. I'd do Nino and Kitchton or Pedan for your 1st but that doesn't make much sense other than value wise.

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote