HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers taking calls on Ales Hemsky

Old
03-29-2013, 04:46 PM
jokerboysmith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Bartowski is an AHL defenseman and thats it........fugly
He would fit nicley on the Oil then.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 03-29-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: fixed formatting
jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:00 PM
shiva

People seem to be talking about Boston, but I feel if hemsky is traded, it would be to NYR.

Their offense has dried up, they are struggling a bit, yet they are in 8th place and only two points behind the devils for 7th. If they can catch up, they avoid pitts in the first round, and have a better chance of extra revenue from a 2nd round of playoffs.

No idea what to propose, but they have a whack load of defense and a lot of depth for prospects as well, so it makes a lot of sense for both teams. There's also a big connection between the two teams, and these two teams have traded together quite often.

Off the top of my head, I can see Hemsky, 2nd player (Jones/Petrell/Whitney) and a decent pick for one of the 4 studs the rangers have presently on the blueline, maybe Del Zotto being the most likely.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:29 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I hate to break it to Oiler fans, but this team still has to play Anaheim 3 times, Chicago, LA, Minnesota twice, Vancouver 3 times...it's really unlikely
We all know its unlikely, but the teams ahead of us have been struggling as well. And no big deal if we miss the playoffs anyway, being close is a victory in itself for realistic Oil fans.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:29 PM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
People seem to be talking about Boston, but I feel if hemsky is traded, it would be to NYR.

Their offense has dried up, they are struggling a bit, yet they are in 8th place and only two points behind the devils for 7th. If they can catch up, they avoid pitts in the first round, and have a better chance of extra revenue from a 2nd round of playoffs.

No idea what to propose, but they have a whack load of defense and a lot of depth for prospects as well, so it makes a lot of sense for both teams. There's also a big connection between the two teams, and these two teams have traded together quite often.

Off the top of my head, I can see Hemsky, 2nd player (Jones/Petrell/Whitney) and a decent pick for one of the 4 studs the rangers have presently on the blueline, maybe Del Zotto being the most likely.
Interesting thoughts, but is NYR really looking to deal one of their defensive core? You would have to think Edm would want someone from there for sure, and I think if they add enough to Hemsky it could be possible, but I'm just not sure if NYR considers this.

Any NYR followers / fans that could add their input?

cpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:06 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
We all know its unlikely, but the teams ahead of us have been struggling as well. And no big deal if we miss the playoffs anyway, being close is a victory in itself for realistic Oil fans.
Beating minny twice and Vancouver 3 times puts Edmonton on top of the division

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
MikeK

vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
Beating minny twice and Vancouver 3 times puts Edmonton on top of the division
and if NJ beat LA the kings wouldn't have won the cup. Reality is a different place

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:54 PM
shiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
Interesting thoughts, but is NYR really looking to deal one of their defensive core? You would have to think Edm would want someone from there for sure, and I think if they add enough to Hemsky it could be possible, but I'm just not sure if NYR considers this.

Any NYR followers / fans that could add their input?
They have a LOT of defense men there. I figure at least 8 of them are at NHL level, and you can only really play 6 at a time. As well, they could do with some vet help. I'm not sure what their PP stats are like, but if they are weak, Whitney would be a very good fit as a 3rd pair D and also to run their power play.

It's a real good fit between the two. NYR are overloaded on defense, but could use help with the offense, and maybe need help on power play, while Edmonton is overloaded at the front, but need help at the back end badly. Since the Oilers are top 5 for both PP and PK, they can give up in that area as well, as Potter/Smyth fill in quite regularly.

Be a "hockey" trade, where both teams lose a bit of their strength, but shore up their weakness as well.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post

that would be insane for the rangers

unless the plus is Edmontons 1st, theyd hang up

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:07 AM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaveras4pres View Post
that would be insane for the rangers

unless the plus is Edmontons 1st, theyd hang up
i don't think the difference between del zotto and hemsky is whitney and a first

granted even though they both have one year left on their contract del zotto is an rfa vs hemsky who is ufa.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:23 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
i don't think the difference between del zotto and hemsky is whitney and a first

granted even though they both have one year left on their contract del zotto is an rfa vs hemsky who is ufa.
ranger fans will tell you different

i wouldnt want whitney for a bag of pucks his mobility is shot

its sad when he first got to Edmonton he was damn good, but he cant skate anymore

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:39 AM
SDig14

I think Whitney will be moved for the best pick or prospect offered at the deadline.

As far as Hemmer goes though, I think the asking price will be relatively high. For teams looking for added offense, there isn't much available. It seems to be a sellers market, and the fact the Oilers aren't actively shopping him (contrary to some on HF who pretend they are every year) means he likely won't be dealt for scraps.

The problem is I think we are beyond just getting rid of proven players for 1st round picks. We did it with Penner, but we are closer to being a playoff team than when that trade went down.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:40 AM
GDU

Quote:

no...

hemsky has another year at 5mill and lol at whoever suggested giving up the oilers first and those two for del zotto

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:10 AM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
no...

hemsky has another year at 5mill and lol at whoever suggested giving up the oilers first and those two for del zotto
please read my post. i said BOTH have a year left on their contract. but hemsky is a UFA AFTER that year.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:13 AM
obey86

this dude has been on the block for like 5 seasons now it seems.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:16 AM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaveras4pres View Post
ranger fans will tell you different

i wouldnt want whitney for a bag of pucks his mobility is shot

its sad when he first got to Edmonton he was damn good, but he cant skate anymore
You are right about Whitney. He's a shadow of his former self. He could probably turn it around on a playoff team with extra support as a third pairing D-man. But it is a risk for the team trading for him.

That being said, in regards to Hemsky, I agree with SDig14. I know rangers fans want a lot for their defensemen, but like I said Hemsky is significant piece. Like I said, I don't think Whitney + 1st is what is needed to get a defenseman out of NYR (for one that they would be willing to trade). The reason being is that Oilers would easily refuse that trade, because we are in a situation where we don't have to trade Hemsky.

Unlike Calgary, we aren't going through a fire sale like we were in previous years. Hemsky has been productive with the Oilers, and we know what we are getting with him. He makes a great top 6 scoring forward thats reasonable in his own zone, and the fans here love him. Why do we need to trade him if we need to give up so much with him in a package?

The only way I would do that is if we add a lot to get a top pairing defenseman. That will not happen before the trade deadline as teams will be retaining their top tier defensemen. Offseason....maybe (if Oilers pay up)

Old
03-30-2013, 01:17 AM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
this dude has been on the block for like 5 seasons now it seems.
No he hasn't.

Oilers have been listening to offers. Doesn't mean they have been shopping him like crazy. Teams just have been asking about him because he has been one of the better forwards on a non-playoff contending team. If you were a GM making a run for the playoffs over the last 3 seasons you would be asking about him too. Doesn't mean he's been on the block.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
no...

Any Oilers fan with half a clue knows that:

A) The Rangers are currently shopping Gaborik because of cap concerns (thus wouldn't be doing so just to add a lesser talent making 2/3 of Gaborik's hit).

B) Would be adding considerably to Hemmer if for some strange reason the Rags were interested in a swap for MDZ (which they aren't).

The Rags have a nice top 4 in Girardi, Staal, McDonagh and MDZ, but the rest of their defensive depth is questionable. What they don't need is a RW for the top 6 where Gabby and Captain Cally reside.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:33 AM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Any Oilers fan with half a clue knows that:

A) The Rangers are currently shopping Gaborik because of cap concerns (thus wouldn't be doing so just to add a lesser talent making 2/3 of Gaborik's hit).

B) Would be adding considerably to Hemmer if for some strange reason the Rags were interested in a swap for MDZ (which they aren't).

The Rags have a nice top 4 in Girardi, Staal, McDonagh and MDZ, but the rest of their defensive depth is questionable. What they don't need is a RW for the top 6 where Gabby and Captain Cally reside.
True, but you would think that if they move Gaborik, Hemsky would be a reasonable replacement. His cap hit is 2.5 million dollars less and if it doesn't work out he only has one year remaining on his contract.

Both Hemsky and Gaborik are 9G-10A-19P this year (with hemsky playing one less game).

Hemsky is about 0.76 points/game in his career
Gaborik is about 0.88 points/game in his career

both skilled players. Hemsky could be a "gaborik light" for NYR should they be able to move gaborik.

EDIT: Gaborik also plays 2:45 more per game than Hemsky, on a line with Nash. You would think that Hemsky at his current pace on a less talented team could produce more than he actually is right now if he were paired up with Rick Nash, and getting more ice time.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:44 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
True, but you would think that if they move Gaborik, Hemsky would be a reasonable replacement. His cap hit is 2.5 million dollars less and if it doesn't work out he only has one year remaining on his contract.

Both Hemsky and Gaborik are 9G-10A-19P this year (with hemsky playing one less game).

Hemsky is about 0.76 points/game in his career
Gaborik is about 0.88 points/game in his career

both skilled players. Hemsky could be a "gaborik light" for NYR should they be able to move gaborik.
They have young up and coming wingers like Kreider and Miller. If they are cutting cap, it's not to fill the spot with an equally overpaid winger, and certainly not at the cost of a young top 4 Dman. While I get the attempted comparison between Gabby and Hemmer given they are skill guys with injury issues who are overpaid, Gabby can put the puck in the net. Since the 04/05 lockout he has 3 40 goal seasons (missing another by 2 goals, 38 in 65 games). Poll 30 GMs and they will all take the goal scorer. In other words, they wouldn't move Gabby just to insert Hemsky. They'd pay the extra 2.5 and keep Gabby.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:06 AM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
They have young up and coming wingers like Kreider and Miller. If they are cutting cap, it's not to fill the spot with an equally overpaid winger, and certainly not at the cost of a young top 4 Dman. While I get the attempted comparison between Gabby and Hemmer given they are skill guys with injury issues who are overpaid, Gabby can put the puck in the net. Since the 04/05 lockout he has 3 40 goal seasons (missing another by 2 goals, 38 in 65 games). Poll 30 GMs and they will all take the goal scorer. In other words, they wouldn't move Gabby just to insert Hemsky. They'd pay the extra 2.5 and keep Gabby.
true. but it depends if what you gaborik in a trade with another team is worth the difference.
but i definitely do see your point and agree with you. gaborik is by far the better player.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:28 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Hemsky is in no way worth what he'll cost.

Crymson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:19 AM
NHL Fanatik

I can almost promise Lou Lamoriello will be making a call to EDM...

Whether or not something happens, idk. But there is almost no way Lou doesn't at least make the call and see what would be required to grab Hemsky.

Should be interesting to see where he goes and for how much.

NHL Fanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:44 AM
obey86

Quote:
No he hasn't.

Oilers have been listening to offers. Doesn't mean they have been shopping him like crazy. Teams just have been asking about him because he has been one of the better forwards on a non-playoff contending team. If you were a GM making a run for the playoffs over the last 3 seasons you would be asking about him too. Doesn't mean he's been on the block.
you know what I mean. every trade deadline he's always one of the "hot names" that might be available to a contender.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:25 AM
Esa 10

To Oil fans regarding a Hemsky to NYR idea.

The problem is that Nash has been almost exclusively used at RW. Callahan is the 2nd line RW. Torts is playing Gaborik at LW, moving him around lines, it's not working, but he won't switch Nash and Cally can't play LW. If he won't do it to get Gaborik going, he won't play Hemsky at RW over Nash on the top 2 lines.

The questions of player value and merits of trading a younger D for an older F are pretty much irrelevant here. Until Tortorella gets fired or Hemsky plays productively at LW for the Oil, there's no fit for him on NYR's top 2 lines.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:41 AM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
you know what I mean. every trade deadline he's always one of the "hot names" that might be available to a contender.
No, I didn't know what you meant. Reason being, a lot of posters who have no idea what they are talking about have been recently saying things like "hemsky has been on the market for YEAARS. OIlers trying to get rid of this bum. He can't be worth a bag of pucks"

I just thought you may be one of those posters again lol.

Yes his name comes up every year. But thats because he's a good player on a non-contending team. a) The media will throw out whatever names to create buzz
b) Some teams probably realistically inquire, but no deal gets done because price is too high because Oilers have no need to deal him.