HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 10:01 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So hard to have a legit discussion about a player without his fans getting defensive. I like Price but I'm also not a blind fanboy. He still has a lot to prove especially in the playoffs
You have to put it all into perspective.

Price was playing for Martin, the coach who did not believe in his players being aggressive on defense.

Clog up the middle and when teams broke through that, easily allow entry past the blue line and then have everyone sag toward the goal and hope for the best when the other team peppered the goalie with shots.

Remember those playoff series where the Habs were outshot by seriously outrageous numbers?

Judge Price in the playoffs this season if you want to see a true picture of how well he performs.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I'm in the same boat. He's our franchise player, I like him but he still has alot of prove in the playoffs my opinion.
Sure he does. Nobody would deny this.

But it's stupid to say that he's sucked in the playoffs because that's not the case. He's had mixed results for sure but he certainly hasn't been bad. His last appearance was pretty damn good too.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-29-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Dekar

Microcosm: in Boston, our goaltender won the shootout for us by stopping everything through 6 rounds. Most goalies won't do that any night and it was nice that it happened to our goalie for one uncommon time it'll happen this season. If Budaj had allowed one goal in an earlier round and we lost, the loss would not be on him since he only allowed one goal, but it would be on the guys who couldn't score one for us.

This is the problem with many Price-bashers here. They don't understand this analysis.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:04 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

But it's stupid to say that he's sucked in the playoffs because that's not the case. He's had mixed results for sure but he certainly hasn't been bad.
.907 SV%, 8wins 15losses. career playoffs stats for Price...

So... define bad.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:10 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Microcosm: in Boston, our goaltender won the shootout for us by stopping everything through 6 rounds. Most goalies won't do that any night and it was nice that it happened to our goalie for one uncommon time it'll happen this season. If Budaj had allowed one goal in an earlier round and we lost, the loss would not be on him since he only allowed one goal, but it would be on the guys who couldn't score one for us.

This is the problem with many Price-bashers here. They don't understand this analysis.
Which explains why Ryan White took the blame for the loss against the Sabres even though only one goal was scored on his PP and the Habs still had a one goal lead until the final second of the game when Ott pushed Price into his goal.

But yeah, White lost that game for us.

Great post!!!!!!!

Old
03-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Which explains why Ryan White took the blame for the loss against the Sabres even though only one goal was scored on his PP and the Habs still had a one goal lead until the final second of the game when Ott pushed Price into his goal.

But yeah, White lost that game for us.

Great post!!!!!!!
Here we go...
White didnt lost us the game. He allowed the Sabres back in the game and gave them life with a bonehead move. It's a team game.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Here we go...
White didnt lost us the game. He allowed the Sabres back in the game and gave them life with a bonehead move. It's a team game.
I can play this game as well as you can.

Why didnt Eller score a goal in the 3rd period to give us a two goal cushion?

Eller was on the ice when Vanek scored that PP goal. Why didnt Eller block the shot by Ehrhoff that led to the Vanek goal? He was in the lane.

And Eller was on the ice for the goal that tied the game. He could have cleared the crease.

See how silly that is.

Blaming White just shows your bias toward an INDIVIDUAL player that you do not like just to make you feel better about your favorite player not having a positive impact on the game.

Much like bashing Price.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I can play this game as well as you can.

Why didnt Eller score a goal in the 3rd period to give us a two goal cushion?

Eller was on the ice when Vanek scored that PP goal. Why didnt Eller block the shot by Ehrhoff that led to the Vanek goal? He was in the lane.

And Eller was on the ice for the goal that tied the game. He could have cleared the crease.

See how silly that is.

Blaming White just shows your bias toward an INDIVIDUAL player that you do not like just to make you feel better about your favorite player not having a positive impact on the game.

Much like bashing Price.
How do you know I don't like White ?
Silly thing to say since I've been one of the only one wanting him long term on this team and defending his play.

And there's a difference. White does that HIMSELF to Ott. Eller doesnt just allow Vanek to score or just scores the goal himself...

The Sabres were dead before that happened. Momentum is huge in hockey.(Sports in general.)

Old
03-29-2013, 10:31 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
How do you know I don't like White ?
Silly thing to say since I've been one of the only one wanting him long term on this team and defending his play.

And there's a difference. White does that HIMSELF to Ott. Eller doesnt just allow Vanek to score or just scores the goal himself...

The Sabres were dead before that happened. Momentum is huge in hockey.(Sports in general.)

I agree with you about momentum. We are getting off topic so I will say that I also agree with you about this being a team game.

Give Price support and he will take this team as far as our talent and health will allow.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I agree with you about momentum. We are getting off topic so I will say that I also agree with you about this being a team game.

Give Price support and he will take this team as far as our talent and health will allow.
Price will get you as far as any goalie can get you. Unless your goalie is ridiculously hot like the Halak. But that happens once in every 10 years. And who says Price can't do it ?

Old
03-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

But it's stupid to say that he's sucked in the playoffs because that's not the case. He's had mixed results for sure but he certainly hasn't been bad. His last appearance was pretty damn good too.
I think this year's playoffs will be a good indicator. No more Martin defensive system where we play rope a dope and our goalie has to be spectacular to win. If we have an early exit though Price basher's will have a field day.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Carey Price how far can he take us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He had a great season that year. Not even talking abotu numbers...he played very well. A nice bounce back year. But was that a glimpse into what he can be or just a fluke? I think he's good...actually...he's damn good. He just needs to focus more and maybe a new goaltending coach. I hate that he's always on his knees.
We are getting to the heart of the matter.
Price can and will lead a team to the cup. The question is which team? Which coach?
If Price was on the trading block how many of the 30 teams in the league would inquire about the Price for Price? Probably all of them. "Most looking to upgrade" those who perceive that they have a better goalie asking Price and who or what else. All being confident they would be getting value. Carey Price is one of the most fundamentally sound goaltenders I've ever seen. Granted that in itself doesn't stop pucks. But He is maturing before our eyes and He has demonstrated a deep desire to improve. Many of his flaws have been discussed which glaring ones haven't been addressed? I'm not convinced he has the best coach in the world but I do see marked improvements in certain areas. Cross crease plays for example "puck carrier with speed" Odd man situations trying to stay on his feet more. Price makes a ton of saves look easy. That is when he is at his best. Let's be realistic we haven't had a decent playoff team in decades. The stats people are throwing around are all meaningless. At least until we have a cup contending team. We are still 3 or 4 players away so don't get your hopes up this year. I fully expect Carey to continue to improve. His biggest flaw now seems to be overplaying certain situations. Let the puck hit you Big Guy and hold your position. Can't say as I blame him for trying too hard in certain situations. Particularly in this mad market. Point being too many smart people know value when they see it. Folks a lot smarter than I am.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:49 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Price will get you as far as any goalie can get you. Unless your goalie is ridiculously hot like the Halak. But that happens once in every 10 years. And who says Price can't do it ?
I'm telling you price can't do it. Price really needs a team that plays perfectly in front of him with zero mistakes. He needs a team like team Canada to win championships. But who hasen't won with team Canada? Don't tell me Luango.

It's just that in the NHL not all the teams have the luxuary to draft Crosby and Malkin year after year so not all teams are built perfect, its really the goaltending that makes the difference and Price for his size, skills and "potential" more often than not has not made the difference so far.

Like other posters have mentioned it its hard to argue with a fan base that gets defensive every time we talk about their favourite player...guys its been 6 years now... 6 years ...its Carey Price...not Jesus Christ.

Time to wake up... Give him one last chance this playoffs and if he sucks move on with another goalie.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
.907 SV%, 8wins 15losses. career playoffs stats for Price...

So... define bad.
Props, love your posts man i'm a big fan

Old
03-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I think this year's playoffs will be a good indicator. No more Martin defensive system where we play rope a dope and our goalie has to be spectacular to win. If we have an early exit though Price basher's will have a field day.
Yup, and it won't matter how well he plays either. The bashers will just blame him.

If he plays poorly and we go out in the first round... I shudder to think about HFs next year.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:52 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
I don't like the way you put it but if Price fails us in the playoffs, it will most certainly be used against him, as it should be. Especially considering his average season on a good team this year. He's paid 6.5M and he's entering that age where good goalies should start to dominate. Enough with the excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Time to wake up... Give him one last chance this playoffs and if he sucks move on with another goalie.
You better hope that this doesn't happen because no matter what, our goalie will be Price for the foreseeable future.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:11 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post

The problem with a lot of other fans is that they expect the bare minimum from Price and consider that to be elite goaltending. Some of us say that performances like Budaj's in the 3rd and in the SO should happen more regularly with Price, at least before he's annointed as a top 5 goalie in the NHL.

But you are right that if Budaj had allowed a goal at some point in an earlier round it wouldn't have been "his fault". At some point you just expect your goalies to make difficult saves they shouldn't make to win games though. The more of a cap hit they have the more you should expect it from them.

But I guess this is a bit what bothers me with Price is that he has great technique and a good frame. His style is mostly to wait for the puck to hit him. He's the furthest thing from a reflex goalie and it makes him look bad when the other team's shooters are hot.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Mats86

The thing about Price is he doesn't play well in big games. He's not a money goalie! I'm not just talking about the blowout games against teams in his division this year. Look at his playoff stats compared to money goalies? Price's career save % in regular season is .916 but drops to .908 in the playoffs. His goals against goes from 2.54 in regular season to 2.84 in playoffs.

Now, let's compare this to some money goalies....Look at Roy's? Patrick had a career .910% save percentage in regular season(same as Price) but improved to .918% in playoffs. His goals against average was 2.54 in regular season. Same as Price's. But Roy's improved to 2.30 in playoffs.

Look at Marty Bordeur? He had a career .913% save percentage in regular season but improved to .919% in playoffs. His goals against average was 2.23 in regular season but improved to 2.02 in playoffs.

Tim Thomas....he has a career .921% save percentage in regular season but improved to .933% in playoffs. His goals against average was 2.48 in regular season. Thomas's improved to 2.07 in playoffs.

If he doesn't play well in big games....just how much good is Price to us? Like to get a core player for him before this gets all over the league.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
The thing about Price is he doesn't play well in big games. He's not a money goalie! I'm not just talking about the blowout games against teams in his division this year. Look at his playoff stats compared to money goalies? Price's career save % in regular season is .916 but drops to .908 in the playoffs. His goals against goes from 2.54 in regular season to 2.84 in playoffs.

Now, let's compare this to some money goalies....Look at Roy's? Patrick had a career .910% save percentage in regular season(same as Price) but improved to .918% in playoffs. His goals against average was 2.54 in regular season. Same as Price's. But Roy's improved to 2.30 in playoffs.

Look at Marty Bordeur? He had a career .913% save percentage in regular season but improved to .919% in playoffs. His goals against average was 2.23 in regular season but improved to 2.02 in playoffs.

Tim Thomas....he has a career .921% save percentage in regular season but improved to .933% in playoffs. His goals against average was 2.48 in regular season. Thomas's improved to 2.07 in playoffs.

If he doesn't play well in big games....just how much good is Price to us? Like to get a core player for him before this gets all over the league.
You're comparing a very young goalie who's only been the starter in four playoff series vs HOFers and Thomas who didn't even make the NHL until his mid 30s. Price's very first series he beat Thomas with a game 7 shutout so I'm not sure why you'd say he can't win big games.

Secondly, he's played behind mostly weak teams dude. Do you think his numbers might've been better if he had guys like Robinson, Stevens, Chelios or Neieremayer in front of him?

The Canadiens are only now emerging as a strong team. I know it seems like he's been around forever but he's still only 25 years old dude. He at the point where most goalies are just starting their careers.

Yeah, he's got something to prove... fair enough. But he was awesome in his last series against the Bs and we lost. Slagging him and saying he can't win the big games is silly. If your goalie plays like that you have nothing to complain about. We lost despite his play not because of it.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post

Maybe you'd like a reminder that Price got in the playoffs
1) as a 20 yr old rookie goalie
2) then in our disaster year where we barely made the playoffs and got swept in a hopeless series against Boston
3) only to relieve Halak in blowouts
4) Then 2010-2011 against Boston, where he was really good. 3 OT losses. Our team steps up and pots an OT goal and we move to the next round, dude.

Basically we never had a great enough team to do a lot of damage in the playoffs. Blaming this on the goalie is stupid.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:44 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Maybe you'd like a reminder that Price got in the playoffs
1) as a 20 yr old rookie goalie
2) then in our disaster year where we barely made the playoffs and got swept in a hopeless series against Boston
3) only to relieve Halak in blowouts
4) Then 2010-2011 against Boston, where he was really good. 3 OT losses. Our team steps up and pots an OT goal and we move to the next round, dude.

Basically we never had a great enough team to do a lot of damage in the playoffs. Blaming this on the goalie is stupid.
Counter argument: It's Price's fault.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:48 PM
j52

At leasr Gump Worsely played with passion.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:48 PM
gillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
At leasr Gump Worsely played with passion.
Couldn't have explained Carey Price any better my self

Oh and he can't score goals, Unless a freak accident Ofcourse, So I guess barring a freak accident, Continuating O.T in the play offs

Old
03-31-2013, 07:56 AM
sandysan

Quote:
There is no way in hell that any NHL player, coach or GM would read this or any other team's board (unless they are into masochism or have a self-defeating personality disorder).

Fans tend to be emotional and with the addition of anonymity, tend to type whatever comes to mind.

Price couldnt care less what an NHL13 playing/Hockey Board posting fan has to say about him. As it should be.
But he's still some guys mom's favorite player.

I am sure that the players know that they have fans and detractors. i 'm sure they read the papers,at least some guys. they hear the chatter and I agree that they are good at ignoring it but I think they are all at least partially aware of what is out there.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Anyone else hoping for a first round meeting with the Rangers now?

Closed Thread