HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niemi - Best goalie in the NHL this season (so far)

Old
03-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Niemi is probably the most mentally solid goaltender I've ever seen.
Yup. He never blames his teammates and always looks calm, cool, and collected out there. He also seems to have way better rebound control this year.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Sharksfan83

His rebound control was nearly the only thing that bothered me. It's much better this year.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:50 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
This is definitely a good point.

but that being said, I think most extraordinary goalies tend to play in front of a defensive system. none come to mind that ran a run/gun style of offense...but my memory kind of sucks.
Last I remember was Hasek backstopping the redwings allstar team with Shanny and Robataille and whoever else they had back then. I think they were running a version of the torpedo that the swedish olympic (?) team ran that tore thru some teams in the tourny.

I think it was this team maybe..?
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?season=20012002

Last edited by NWShark*: 03-30-2013 at 02:57 AM.
NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:05 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
When evaluating goalies, you have to take in to affect the system your team plays. Nowadays, it seems like certain goalies thrive in certain systems. As long as the wins keep coming in, no problem with that.

Niemi has been excellent...this is shades of 2008 Nabokov, and that is probably underrating his performance. It is nice to see how calm and collected he ice; proverbial ice-water in his veins. Nabokov had a bit more flair...
The difference in Nabby great season was that he made saves that looked spectacular all year and that carried into the playoffs. He rarely went a week without making a highlight reel save. I don't feel like Niemi has had to do that. Wether it's because he's bigger and doesn't have to move as much to make those type of saves I don't know. Nabby definitely had a superior glove and athletic ability though. Niemi is having a great year though and I hope if he keeps it up that he is recognized for it.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:37 AM
vilpertti

I hated Niemi alot in the past but this season he's been rock solid. The defense in front of him is part of it but he's been great. Like he said after the Detroit game, he hasn't had to cheat.

Part of the reason why he's less injury prone is because he's less athlethic. No big groin strain. Keeps his weight on his padded knees mostly instead of putting pressure on ligaments. He has the ability to move well left to right even when on his knees so it works for him.

If only he didn't allow those nasty zero angle goals every now and then...

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Sharksfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
The difference in Nabby great season was that he made saves that looked spectacular all year and that carried into the playoffs. He rarely went a week without making a highlight reel save. I don't feel like Niemi has had to do that. Wether it's because he's bigger and doesn't have to move as much to make those type of saves I don't know. Nabby definitely had a superior glove and athletic ability though. Niemi is having a great year though and I hope if he keeps it up that he is recognized for it.
And with those highlight reel saves, Nabby also let in those softies on either the first or second shot of the game.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:47 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
And with those highlight reel saves, Nabby also let in those softies on either the first or second shot of the game.
Maybe in other years but not during the year I'm referencing. Niemi's been a soft goal waiting to happen for the sharks up until this year. I like both players. Just pointing out they do it differently when they are on.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Nabby made many an easy save look spectacular.

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Nabby made many an easy save look spectacular.
The most basic glove save made by Nabokov was easily the flashiest glove save made in the world. It was worth the price of admission every time. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

niemi is still 6th in the league for wins also, pretty good for a 12th place team in the league.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:48 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Niemi is probably the most mentally solid goaltender I've ever seen.
This. The guys absolutely love playing in front of him. Must be a breath of fresh air after Nabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The most basic glove save made by Nabokov was easily the flashiest glove save made in the world. It was worth the price of admission every time. lol
Also this. I love Nabby, but it was ****in' hilarious seeing him dress up a simple save, and Randy and Drew just ate it up.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
He is the best goalie with 20+ games played.
I donno, Schneider is playing better with Rask and Bobrovsky arguably as good or better

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
When was this?

Lethonen used to look like he was done. Not even NHL-caliber. Plus, Reimer and Scrivens obviously ha(d)ve youth/salary over him....
A few months ago in a thread about Lehtonen. I'l look it up.

edit: actually, earlier this month....

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Clowe Me

Found it:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=kari+lehtonen

Post 108.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote