Iginla II

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 07:24 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
This team is as soft as ice cream in the desert this year. Nothing makes them angry. Cant one guy atleast bring up the fact that its a slap in the face? I mean he was traded here but said no because he doesn't think you are good enough.
It`s just not like the old days Whammer where hatred/rivalries often had players despise one another and I can guarantee, as I think you`d agree, if this happened even 15 years ago, guys like Chelios/Roenick/Shanahan would have something more than a little entertaining to say about a this.

Nowaday, so many of these guys work out with one another in the off season, have played hockey in one way or another with one another over the years. Typical in pro sports in general these days with so much player movement...but I`m with ya, was sorta wishing someone would show some anger

Irony: Tim Thomas, I would be willing to wager would have said something

Old
03-30-2013, 07:24 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I'm surprised that you're surprised by this. *****ing about things in the media is not what these guys do, nor do they talk **** about other teams/players/decisions through the media.

They've all been put through the New England Patriots school of media. It's a quote, a soundbyte, nothing more. Getting a quote in these situations has become the epitome of filler...literally means nothing.
This team has surprised me all year and not in a good way. You are 100% correct however. I miss Recchi.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:25 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
It`s just not like the old days Whammer where hatred/rivalries often had players despise one another and I can guarantee, as I think you`d agree, if this happened even 15 years ago, guys like Chelios/Roenick/Shanahan would have something more than a little entertaining to say about a this.

Nowaday, so many of these guys work out with one another in the off season, have played hockey in one way or another with one another over the years. Typical in pro sports in general these days with so much player movement...but I`m with ya, was sorta wishing someone would show some anger
Agreed. We will see the 19th. The effort will let us know how they really feel.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:26 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
This team has surprised me all year and not in a good way. You are 100% correct however. I miss Recchi.
Liked Aaron Ward`s insistence of never being hesitant to challenge teammates either

Old
03-30-2013, 07:29 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
This team is as soft as ice cream in the desert this year. Nothing makes them angry. Cant one guy atleast bring up the fact that its a slap in the face? I mean he was traded here but said no because he doesn't think you are good enough.
I'm as annoyed by their lack of physical play this year as anybody but talking **** just becomes a distraction, not shows that they are tough. They talk **** about Iginla, then media goes to Iginla and Pens for a response quote. Then come back to Bruins for a response to their response, etc. and this Iginla thing just stays in the news for way longer than neccessary. What you say to the media and what you say to each other are 2 totally different things.

I'm interested in them walking the walk, not talking the talk.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:34 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Agreed. We will see the 19th. The effort will let us know how they really feel.
Let`s hope, ya want disppointment? Imagine having the talent the Flyers do yet they play, 90% of the time like they`ve mailed it in. With our boys, I feel there just isn`t focus, in Philly, it appears as though they have given up, they`ll toss in there a solid game now and then but......

I betcha we see a Matthias and Ryan Whitney sighting in Boston....won`t gain the approval of fans here cuz if it`s not the top prize, they are junk but I love the game Mattias plays and I believe a guy like Whitney, under this coaching staff and in this system, can find his game

Old
03-30-2013, 07:37 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandNoseBest View Post
I'm as annoyed by their lack of physical play this year as anybody but talking **** just becomes a distraction, not shows that they are tough. They talk **** about Iginla, then media goes to Iginla and Pens for a response quote. Then come back to Bruins for a response to their response, etc. and this Iginla thing just stays in the news for way longer than neccessary. What you say to the media and what you say to each other are 2 totally different things.

I'm interested in them walking the walk, not talking the talk.
Agreed. Like when I hear them say how important the game is and how intense it is and then they come out flat... I hear what you are saying... I guess that's why they go to classes because I would not had been able to be so PC.

THing that bothers me most about Iginla is he is just a luxury for the Pens...for us I think he was THE guy to put us over the top...Lucic and Horton would have learned so much IMO. Oh well...

Old
03-30-2013, 07:39 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Let`s hope, ya want disppointment? Imagine having the talent the Flyers do yet they play, 90% of the time like they`ve mailed it in. With our boys, I feel there just isn`t focus, in Philly, it appears as though they have given up, they`ll toss in there a solid game now and then but......

I betcha we see a Matthias and Ryan Whitney sighting in Boston....won`t gain the approval of fans here cuz if it`s not the top prize, they are junk but I love the game Mattias plays and I believe a guy like Whitney, under this coaching staff and in this system, can find his game
I'd love Mattias... I'm really excited to see Soderberg hopefully as well. Team needs to get healthy..add in a couple pieces without overpaying (no rentals out there are worth overpaying)...I think our D and goalie matchup vs Pitts if we meet.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:40 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Agreed. Like when I hear them say how important the game is and how intense it is and then they come out flat... I hear what you are saying... I guess that's why they go to classes because I would not had been able to be so PC.

THing that bothers me most about Iginla is he is just a luxury for the Pens...for us I think he was THE guy to put us over the top...Lucic and Horton would have learned so much IMO. Oh well...
Yep, he`ll be appreciated in Pitt, but he woulda been loved in Boston, his loss, not ours IMO. Karma will show it`s head, and it`ll be fun to watch

Old
03-30-2013, 07:44 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I'd love Mattias... I'm really excited to see Soderberg hopefully as well. Team needs to get healthy..add in a couple pieces without overpaying (no rentals out there are worth overpaying)...I think our D and goalie matchup vs Pitts if we meet.
Forgot about Soderberg, a bit on the fence as you just never know about European additions but surely it couldn`t be a worse 3rd line option than the one`s were icing now can he??

Can`t believe I did this but I caught the Panthers vs Sabres game the other night (I think it`s due to enjoying watching a team like the Sabres play like crud) and he looked really solid.

No idea about his contract status but..

Old
03-30-2013, 07:45 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
Totally agree there. I usually get over this stuff quickly, but I'm still pretty devastated about the situation. This guy was THE perfect fit for the Bruins, and I fully expected him to finish his career here if we got him. Plus it was a reasonable price to give up from a Bruins perspective.

It doesn't help that there don't appear to be many real good options out there as a fallback plan, but as I was saying in another thread, maybe this new eating salary rule they have will help Chia get more creative and get guys we had no clue would be on the radar because we are just looking at their cap hits and thinking they wouldn't fit the Bruins.

Gonna be tough to find a guy comparable to the impact Iginla could've provided though.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:01 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Totally agree there. I usually get over this stuff quickly, but I'm still pretty devastated about the situation. This guy was THE perfect fit for the Bruins, and I fully expected him to finish his career here if we got him. Plus it was a reasonable price to give up from a Bruins perspective.

It doesn't help that there don't appear to be many real good options out there as a fallback plan, but as I was saying in another thread, maybe this new eating salary rule they have will help Chia get more creative and get guys we had no clue would be on the radar because we are just looking at their cap hits and thinking they wouldn't fit the Bruins.

Gonna be tough to find a guy comparable to the impact Iginla could've provided though.

Real soft market, outrageous asking prices,too many GM`s in denial that their teams are still in the running for the playoffs = minimal options for Chia which = countless of ugly threads here from fans yakking about Chia`s love of sitting on his hands, can`t wait

Old
03-30-2013, 08:13 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Real soft market, outrageous asking prices,too many GM`s in denial that their teams are still in the running for the playoffs = minimal options for Chia which = countless of ugly threads here from fans yakking about Chia`s love of sitting on his hands, can`t wait
The fact that Chia made a deal and the Flames GM wanted tells me Chia is working.

But this year trades are going to be tough-because every team thinks they are still in the hunt.

Calgary and the Panthers pretty much know they are done-but the rest of the southeast really is kind of in the hunt-at least for the division title-and the division title is enough to get them in the playoffs-but everyone else will be left out of the playoff picture.

As for Iginla-the Pens really did pick him up as a luxury but I also think Iginla is hunting a cup and believing the Pens are his best chance to get it is understandable. I just think he bungled the trade and shafted both his GM and Chia in the process.

I am fully on board with the team giving the stock media answers on Iginla. If they are bothered, then they are going to use it among themselves to spark a fight to prove Iginla mistaken, but talking trash about Iginla to the media just puts egg all over the Bruins faces.

Much like Chia explained the process of how things fell apart in the trade, and you know inside he was mad and upset, but he didn't attack anyone in the Calgary organization or Iginla. But looking at his face-you know this hit him hard.

Oh-well-time to move on and maybe the Yeti will arrive (I still don't believe the Yeti comes until he is walking through Logan airport with a contract in hand).

Old
03-30-2013, 08:14 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
Yeah, I'm expecting the same. I can't blame Chia for this deadline no matter what unless he overpays outrageously just to land someone. He found the perfect fit in Iginla and aggressively targeted him and got a deal done until the player went back on his word. Now there just isn't much available and the best thing could very well be to do minor tweaking.

But this once again shows that you don't go into the season relying on the trade deadline to improve. I won't be pissed at Chia if he does nothing/does minimal tweaking for reasonable prices, but he HAS to be more aggressive in the summer. He has been as aggressive as anyone while remaining intelligent about what he gives up at the deadline over the years, but it's actually fair to say that he has sit on his hands in the off-season in the last 2 years.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:30 AM
C77

Kramer: "The bet's off Jerry, I'm not doing it."

Jerry: "That was the bet."

Old
03-30-2013, 08:38 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Yeah, I'm expecting the same. I can't blame Chia for this deadline no matter what unless he overpays outrageously just to land someone. He found the perfect fit in Iginla and aggressively targeted him and got a deal done until the player went back on his word. Now there just isn't much available and the best thing could very well be to do minor tweaking.

But this once again shows that you don't go into the season relying on the trade deadline to improve. I won't be pissed at Chia if he does nothing/does minimal tweaking for reasonable prices, but he HAS to be more aggressive in the summer. He has been as aggressive as anyone while remaining intelligent about what he gives up at the deadline over the years, but it's actually fair to say that he has sit on his hands in the off-season in the last 2 years.
I really do not understand why Chia didn't try to make some moves last summer. I know his hands were tied during the lock out, but no reason for last summer. Bourque doesn't count-he was traded for with the knowledge he might be a project.

I also feel pretty strongly that the front office expected and anticipated Caron being ready to step into that 3rd line position.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:02 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Hockey players have almost always given the respectful but vanilla interview.

How they really feel will be reflected on the ice. You often hear that there are "no friends out on the ice" and I think that often still rings true. (Chara/Satan).

We'll know over the next couple of months.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:21 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
Hockey players have almost always given the respectful but vanilla interview.

How they really feel will be reflected on the ice. You often hear that there are "no friends out on the ice" and I think that often still rings true. (Chara/Satan).

We'll know over the next couple of months.
There's a little part of me that would love a few of our players mic'd up for the game-would love to be able to hear the chirping in that game.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:28 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
There's a little part of me that would love a few of our players mic'd up for the game-would love to be able to hear the chirping in that game.
It's going to be interesting.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:

Shawn Matthias? The cost would be way higher than we'd be willing to give. Florida as sellers means they deal their older, high priced guys. Matthias is 25 and will be a RFA. He's having a break out year. He's the kind of a guy a rebuilding team keeps. He has 12 goals and gets 3rd line minutes and less than 1/2 the pp time that Chris Bourque got.

From FLA guys like Fleishman, Kopecky and Goc are available.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:06 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
The fact that Chia made a deal and the Flames GM wanted tells me Chia is working.

But this year trades are going to be tough-because every team thinks they are still in the hunt.

Calgary and the Panthers pretty much know they are done-but the rest of the southeast really is kind of in the hunt-at least for the division title-and the division title is enough to get them in the playoffs-but everyone else will be left out of the playoff picture.

As for Iginla-the Pens really did pick him up as a luxury but I also think Iginla is hunting a cup and believing the Pens are his best chance to get it is understandable. I just think he bungled the trade and shafted both his GM and Chia in the process.

I am fully on board with the team giving the stock media answers on Iginla. If they are bothered, then they are going to use it among themselves to spark a fight to prove Iginla mistaken, but talking trash about Iginla to the media just puts egg all over the Bruins faces.

Much like Chia explained the process of how things fell apart in the trade, and you know inside he was mad and upset, but he didn't attack anyone in the Calgary organization or Iginla. But looking at his face-you know this hit him hard.

Oh-well-time to move on and maybe the Yeti will arrive (I still don't believe the Yeti comes until he is walking through Logan airport with a contract in hand).
I seem to be one of the few that believes Chia is always working. Difference is, there are throw caution to the wind GM`s, and there`s GM`s who are calculating and have an organizational approach that they will not try and sacrifice long term competitiveness for short term "go for it" aquisitions. While I don`t see Chia a go for it all kind of guy, he is far too often here viewed because of moves that don`t happen (how making a trade/aquisition/signing is only a one way street as some think is beyond me but..)

Even the worst GM`s are on the phones, and I`ll wager this GM is most likely to be one who his peers would consider to be a pretty level headed guy to deal with and one who deals fairly so if there has been an inability to consummate deals, I`ll suggest, more often than not, those deals have been killed by opposing GM`s, not Chia`s hesitation to pull the trigger.

Rumor about this time last year floating how Chia was close to aquiring two Dallas players, speculation it was Souray and maybe Rydes/Morrow, deal was almost done when the Stars went on a mini BS run and put themselves technically back in the race for a playoff spot and this team ended up with Zanon and MM/Rolston. Again, I didn`t like Chia sitting on his 3rd line comfort with Pouliot gone, but I also believe had Caron been healthy to start the year, we would have seen Kelly and Pevs not struggle the way they have.

Truthfully, my biggest beef right now, is Horton and the fact that when this streaky guy isn`t in one of his scoring streaks, he`s literally MIA, much like Ryder was when he was here and regardless of what Horty does come playoff time, I want this teams 4 million or whatever he`d get, to be spent on a guy who`ll bring it with far more consistency than he does, could care less if his buddy Looch is sad because of it, IMO, probably be the best thing for Looch, plays better when not with Horty IMO, when together, they constantly look for one another to feed the puck

Old
03-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Crosby takes puck to the face and will Not return:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-the-face.html

Old
03-30-2013, 01:38 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Crosby takes puck to the face and will Not return:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-the-face.html
Apparently making fun of a toothless Crosby on the main boards gets you infractions.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:57 PM
IafratesEmptyNetGoal

I saw the replay and was surprised Crosby didn't ask the refs for a penalty.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:59 PM
WBC8

Bruins really took the Iginla slight to heart....

Closed Thread