HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu sent down to Hamilton (April 18th, 2013)

Old
03-29-2013, 11:07 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Looks like I'm wrong, he is going to stick with 40

Kinda glad, him and Gorges would look the same, both are about the same size and I believe both kinda tuck their jersey so we wouldn't know which is which.
Wha? Nathan isn't bigger than Gorges? For some reason I thought he was a pretty decently sized D. (No idea how Josh is so physical, but I love it.)

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:56 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Settle down now, don't get carried away. Norris trophy ???

That is all.
Read what I wrote. I said you never know if they will hit their potential, even if it is fun to watch and see.

I even mentioned Murray Wilson, an unbelievable skater that people thought might become a great.....but he didn't.

Also, we are talking POTENTIAL here. There might be 100 defencemen with the potential to be Norris Trophy candidates (I didn't say winners) some day.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:00 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Looks like I'm wrong, he is going to stick with 40

Kinda glad, him and Gorges would look the same, both are about the same size and I believe both kinda tuck their jersey so we wouldn't know which is which.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Wha? Nathan isn't bigger than Gorges? For some reason I thought he was a pretty decently sized D. (No idea how Josh is so physical, but I love it.)
Beaulieu is 6'3", same height as Larry Robinson, who was also a skinnyish kid at first.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:57 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Beaulieu is 6'3", same height as Larry Robinson, who was also a skinnyish kid at first.
Not sure about height some places have him 6'1, 6'2, and your saying he is 6'3. But he is still a bit skinny but will fill out, Gorges is 6'1 but is built pretty well, but if Bealieau had actually worn 28 it would be hard to tell the, apart early on especially since both like to tuck in their jerseys at times.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:23 AM
bib
#believe

Surprised St. Denis isn't getting a shot.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:58 AM
bsl

Quote:
I think that decision was made after Kaberle was played a bit and Bergevin saw no trade interest.

Which is too bad. I think he SHOULD be able to play for a weaker team that needs a PP guy who can also get point ES.
Other GMs know what we are doing. They know Kaberle is there, and that he is not good enough for our team, but that he is useful. Playing him makes no diff.

Quote:
I agree. Unlike some other fans here, I don't believe we have to do the Halak versus Price thing all over again.

I think BOTH Beaulieu and Tinordi will be big players for us for years. Either one has the potential of being Norris-trophy candidates, one as a future Brian Campbell and the other as a future Rod Langway.

OR they could just be good players.

It is indeed going to be fun watching to find out.

I feel like this is 1973 again, and Lafleur, Robinson, Wilson and Gainey were the up and comers on a team with decent vets already.

We didn't know how it would turn out (three out of four hit their potential!!) but it was fun watching.
Wilson was an effective player for us, or he would not have played. There were no second rate players on those teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
If someone has a shot at it for us, outside of P.K., who will win it this year, it's Brolieu.
He has the talent to be a 50-60 first pairing Dman.

Keep in mind that what you want from a Dman at first is good physical attributes(Check) and good offensive instinct(Chaching.). Defensive instinct can be taught.
Agreed. The Rover position is returning to the NHL. The dangerous 4th man. We have Subby, and Beaulieu could be another one.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:42 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
I'm not, it's clear that MT knows that he's currently playing at his maximum potential. Tinordi, Patteryn and Beaulieu can benefit much more of NHL experience for their development than St-Denis. I hope that St-Denis eventually gets traded to a team in dire need of a 6th defencemen with good shutdown skills and some limited but present offensive capabilities.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
The call-ups are largely about prospect development.

St-Denis isn't a prospect.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:04 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I'm not, it's clear that MT knows that he's currently playing at his maximum potential. Tinordi, Patteryn and Beaulieu can benefit much more of NHL experience for their development than St-Denis. I hope that St-Denis eventually gets traded to a team in dire need of a 6th defencemen with good shutdown skills and some limited but present offensive capabilities.

St. Denis will be a UFA in three months and will find a team.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:07 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Wilson was an effective player for us, or he would not have played. There were no second rate players on those teams.
I'm not saying Wilson was not effective, nor did I say he was second-rate. But we do agree that he is not in the Hall of Fame, nor did he play for Team Canada, nor did he participate in All-Star Games. The other three all did.

My point was that not every player with potential hits the full potential, but I agree with LafleursGuy that it is going to be fun to watch the Galchenyuks, Beaulieus and Tinordis work to get to the next level(s) if they can.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
hopefully since it's where he would shine as he's dangerous on the PP.

I could see him being a poor mans Subban.

He's got size, skating, speed and confidence. Moves the puck well and likes to rush it up ice. Has the mobility, skating, foot speed to cover a lot of ground. Knows what to do with the puck in the offensive zone and is willing to take risks.

On the downside he makes poor decisions in his own end with the puck, gets caught out of position a good bit and like any high flying D he's going to have his fair share of bad pinches. His defensive game reminds me of Hainsey's when he was in the AHL.

Always good to see your 1st round picks in the NHL. This will mean all but one of the Habs 1st round picks under Timmins have appeared in an NHL game within the past 2 seasons. Beaulieu will be the 29th draft pick of Timmins to appear in an NHL game.

It's certainly very interesting to see this approach. It's a refreshing change of pace and shows that the organization understands that development (along with asset management) have crippled the Habs in the past and the new management team seems intent on fixing these problems which is great to see.

He has played well enough.
Great info, thanks.

-------------------------------- ---------------------------------

Very excited for tonight's game...can't wait to see Beaulieu make his debut.
9 pts out of last 11 games is great/excellent for an AHL dman.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Anyone here think if St-Denis goes to another team he will be another dman we let go for nothing and develops into a Beauchemin or a Robidas (although a rightie) in several years?

And, wondering...how come we didn't see St-Denis this season?
(maybe he is the next call-up?). He's not a prospect but he could help defensively on the 3rd pairing, no? 15min+/game?

p.s.: no matter...very very excited for Beaulieu's debut.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-30-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old
03-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Anyone here think if St-Denis goes to another team he will be another dman we let go for nothing and becomes a Beauchemin or a Robidas (although a rightie).

Wondering...how come we didn't see St-Denis this season?
(maybe he is the next call-up?).
He's going to be 28 years old next season. I hope he gets picked up by a team and I at least hope he gets a full season before it's too late.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
He's going to be 28 years old next season. I hope he gets picked up by a team and I at least hope he gets a full season before it's too late.
Thanks...forgot about his age.
I thought he was around 25.

I have a feeling some team will give him a try.
Wish him luck.
I guess for now St-Denis is behind many dmen...Kaberle, Weber, and then...prospects like Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Beaulieu will be wearing #40 tonight.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Anyone here think if St-Denis goes to another team he will be another dman we let go for nothing and develops into a Beauchemin or a Robidas (although a rightie) in several years?

And, wondering...how come we didn't see St-Denis this season?
(maybe he is the next call-up?). He's not a prospect but he could help defensively on the 3rd pairing, no? 15min+/game?
St-Denis has gone through waivers before and gone unclaimed. He's nearing his late 20's. There's no reason to think he's suddenly going to turn into a quality top 4 defender.

His potential is at most a bottom pairing d-man on a decent or better team. The big thing is you can't have Gorges, Bouillon AND FSD all playing at the same time. They all sort of do the same thing.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 03-30-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:43 AM
pine

Quote:
In Europe, yes.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:45 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
Darche just said on l'AC that when he arrived at the camp last year, it was written N8 the Great on all of his stick loll. Pretty funny
Brolieu suits him too well

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Beaulieu will be wearing #40 tonight.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:39 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
I don't think that is the case, Tinordi hasn't done anything to suggest that they are not happy with his play.

IMO just they just want to take a look at all their guys in the AHL, give them a few games of experience, they did it with Pateryn.
exactly , nathan will need more time to work on his defensive play

he got by in junior on skating and gifted ability

once he figures out how to play d watch out , his skills are sick

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:41 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
St-Denis has gone through waivers before and gone unclaimed. He's nearing his late 20's. There's no reason to think he's suddenly going to turn into a quality top 4 defender.

His potential is at most a bottom pairing d-man on a decent or better team. The big thing is you can't have Gorges, Bouillon AND FSD all playing at the same time. They all sort of do the same thing.
st denis belongs at bonanza lalumiere on weekends , he is done in a habs uniform

agreed those 3 together is a disaster

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:15 AM
WakeUpNHL

Was at Bell Center for the Rangers game. Kept a close watch on Nathan Beaulieu's play. You can see the speed and offensive flair in his game, however, defensively he did not look good at all today... must have been the nerves of his first NHL game! Hopefully he'll settle down a little in the next game and get going.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Mats86

Quote:

And, wondering...how come we didn't see St-Denis this season?(maybe he is the next call-up?). He's not a prospect but he could help defensively on the 3rd pairing, no? 15min+/game?

p.s.: no matter...very very excited for Beaulieu's debut.

Heard he has to go thru waivers if recalled....a low contract Bouillion type sure to be picked up.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:01 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Was at Bell Center for the Rangers game. Kept a close watch on Nathan Beaulieu's play. You can see the speed and offensive flair in his game, however, defensively he did not look good at all today... must have been the nerves of his first NHL game! Hopefully he'll settle down a little in the next game and get going.
I disagree, I thought he played very well today, kept it simple didn't try and skate it out of the zone. Good outlet passes and the only mistake I saw from him defensively was when him and bouillon were caught behind the net and allowed a shot from the slot. Other then that I can't see how you can say he was poor defensively, he broke up multiple plays and never got caught pinching. He wasn't a defensive stalwart by any means but for an offensive dman who has a reputation for poor defensive plays, playing in his first nhl game I think he did pretty damn good.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:31 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
During the anthem, Beaulieu was next to Emelin, and Nathan is taller. So the hockeydb.com height of 6'3" for Beaulieu versus 6'2" for Emelin and 6'1" for Gorges makes sense.

No question he is more separated from Gorges; at any rate, you could see that on the ice.

Now, we all know that heights of all players might be exaggerated, but we have to compare apples to apples.