HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Does anyone remember Lemieux's last game in 1989?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2013, 08:08 PM
  #1
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,371
vCash: 500
Does anyone remember Lemieux's last game in 1989?

The reason I ask is if anyone remembers whether there was a big push to get him the 200th point or not. Now, there are threads talking about Lemieux and Gretzky on here so I don't want to derail this, I just solely want to talk about this.

I look at his 2nd last game of the season and he had 196 points going into a game against the Rangers at home in Pittsburgh. You would think the crowd would be pulling for him to get 4 points just to see 200. It didn't happen, he only had an assist giving him 197.

The final game of the season was in Philly so you know the crowd was against him although maybe deep down they thought it might be neat to see 200. Mario got two goals and the Penguins won in overtime 6-5.

For the life of me I can't find the scoring summaries, just the boxscore of that game. I can't remember if Mario scored that overtime goal or not. If so, then going into overtime the maximum he could have gotten was 199 points. However, if he had the two goals before hand I have to wonder just how much of a push Mario would have gotten to get the 200th point.

Does anyone remember what the status was of that game? I don't which is why I am asking. But did Mario get those goals early in the game and have chances at 200? I can't remember.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:24 PM
  #2
tazzy19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The reason I ask is if anyone remembers whether there was a big push to get him the 200th point or not. Now, there are threads talking about Lemieux and Gretzky on here so I don't want to derail this, I just solely want to talk about this.

I look at his 2nd last game of the season and he had 196 points going into a game against the Rangers at home in Pittsburgh. You would think the crowd would be pulling for him to get 4 points just to see 200. It didn't happen, he only had an assist giving him 197.

The final game of the season was in Philly so you know the crowd was against him although maybe deep down they thought it might be neat to see 200. Mario got two goals and the Penguins won in overtime 6-5.

For the life of me I can't find the scoring summaries, just the boxscore of that game. I can't remember if Mario scored that overtime goal or not. If so, then going into overtime the maximum he could have gotten was 199 points. However, if he had the two goals before hand I have to wonder just how much of a push Mario would have gotten to get the 200th point.

Does anyone remember what the status was of that game? I don't which is why I am asking. But did Mario get those goals early in the game and have chances at 200? I can't remember.
Big Phil, I can't answer your question, but your post reminds me of the almost eerie cloud that hangs on Lemieux's amazing 199 point season. It's almost as though Lemieux was simply destined to come up just short of Gretzky's marks. I mean, 199 points?? Are you kidding me! How does that even happen? How does a player as great as Mario Lemieux NOT score that 1 extra point needed to hit the magical 200? I think everyone knows that if he had scored that 1 extra point, the Hart Trophy would have been his that year. I imagine that is the one biggest reason Gretzky won the Hart Trophy over him in 1989. Psychologically, if not subconsciously, missing 200 points by 1 point would have had a devastating impact on the minds of the voters. At season's end, Gretzky was still the only 200 point player in history, and not only that, he had done it 4 times. Mario came up just short by the smallest of margins. It's almost like Wayne and Mario had signed a contract before they were born, and God told Wayne that he would have less talent than Mario, but he would have the fortune and even instilled work ethic to own every record known to man. Mario would be granted more talent than Wayne, but in exchange for that God given talent, he would have to deal with adversity and misfortune. And so, one became #99, and the other #66. The irony is that the best player of the two was actually the one without the records and the fortune. But the contract stated that if Wayne would devote 1000,000 % of himself to the game of hockey, he would be blessed with all the fortune in the world, and no one would ever be able to know the truth..... Okay, okay, sorry for that rant....was just a theory

tazzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:47 PM
  #3
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 4,056
vCash: 500
It was 2-2 after one period. Mario scored his first goal early in the second, and the Pens scored two more to make it 5-2. Flyers scored 3 in the third to tie it, and Mario scored in OT. Strangely, it's listed as an EN goal in OT... but perhaps it's a typo.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:01 PM
  #4
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
It was 2-2 after one period. Mario scored his first goal early in the second, and the Pens scored two more to make it 5-2. Flyers scored 3 in the third to tie it, and Mario scored in OT. Strangely, it's listed as an EN goal in OT... but perhaps it's a typo.
Ah, really? Thanks for that. Do you have a link for that though? Hockeyreference.com is a great site but it only has game logs, not the actual scoring summary.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:11 PM
  #5
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Ah, really? Thanks for that. Do you have a link for that though? Hockeyreference.com is a great site but it only has game logs, not the actual scoring summary.
From the April 14th, 1989 issue of THN:

1st period:

1. Phi - Tocchet (Propp, Chychrun) PP
2. Phi - Propp (Carkner, Eklund)
3. Pit - Cunneyworth (Quinn)
4. Pit - Stevens (Quinn, Coffey)

2nd period:

5. Pit - Lemieux (Brown, Errey)
6. Pit - Brown (Coffey, Errey)
7. Pit - Stevens (Cullen, Zalapski)

3rd period:

8. Phi - Propp (Sutter, Murphy)
9. Phi - Smith (Poulin)
10. Phi - Kurr (Bullard, Craven)

OT:

11. Pit - Lemieux (Loney) EN

__________________
Interested in checking out 50+ years worth of covers from "The Hockey News?" Check out my collection here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1382901
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:22 PM
  #6
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
From the April 14th, 1989 issue of THN:

1st period:

1. Phi - Tocchet (Propp, Chychrun) PP
2. Phi - Propp (Carkner, Eklund)
3. Pit - Cunneyworth (Quinn)
4. Pit - Stevens (Quinn, Coffey)

2nd period:

5. Pit - Lemieux (Brown, Errey)
6. Pit - Brown (Coffey, Errey)
7. Pit - Stevens (Cullen, Zalapski)

3rd period:

8. Phi - Propp (Sutter, Murphy)
9. Phi - Smith (Poulin)
10. Phi - Kurr (Bullard, Craven)

OT:

11. Pit - Lemieux (Loney) EN
Thanks.

You'd have to think, the Pens had 2nd place in their division secured regardless. They were making the playoffs and playing NYR win or lose with home ice advantage. Philly was in 4th in their division and playing the Capitals regardless. Deep down, you would think that one of the key things for the Pens to do was get 200 for Mario. He needed three points to do it. It must have been hell for him that game. 200 is such an elusive number to reach. He gets a goal early in the second and it had to be on his mind to reach 200. Just two more points in a couple periods. I guess once overtime hit with him at 198 they knew it was impossible.

And yes, that is NOT a typo on the empty net thing. Philly had pulled Hextall in that game for the extra attacker in overtime. If they won the game they would have gotten third place and jumped ahead of NYR. That explains why it says Hextall only allowed 5 goals. Mario potted the empty netter. One point short. Gut wrenching. Sort of reminds me of Adrian Peterson this year 9 yards short of the rushing yards single season record. The last drive of the game ended in a field goal for the Vikings.


On a sidenote, do people really believe had Mario had one extra point and reached 200 that he gets the Hart? Would voters be that short sighted and critical?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:27 PM
  #7
tazzy19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Thanks.

You'd have to think, the Pens had 2nd place in their division secured regardless. They were making the playoffs and playing NYR win or lose with home ice advantage. Philly was in 4th in their division and playing the Capitals regardless. Deep down, you would think that one of the key things for the Pens to do was get 200 for Mario. He needed three points to do it. It must have been hell for him that game. 200 is such an elusive number to reach. He gets a goal early in the second and it had to be on his mind to reach 200. Just two more points in a couple periods. I guess once overtime hit with him at 198 they knew it was impossible.

And yes, that is NOT a typo on the empty net thing. Philly had pulled Hextall in that game for the extra attacker in overtime. If they won the game they would have gotten third place and jumped ahead of NYR. That explains why it says Hextall only allowed 5 goals. Mario potted the empty netter. One point short. Gut wrenching. Sort of reminds me of Adrian Peterson this year 9 yards short of the rushing yards single season record. The last drive of the game ended in a field goal for the Vikings.


On a sidenote, do people really believe had Mario had one extra point and reached 200 that he gets the Hart? Would voters be that short sighted and critical?
We should do a poll on this. We would find our answer! I believe that psychologically it would have given the edge to Lemieux. How do you not vote for the guy who scored only the 5th 200 point season in NHL history?

tazzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:36 PM
  #8
SidGenoMario
Registered User
 
SidGenoMario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,801
vCash: 500
I can only imagine how Mario felt going into the OT knowing he wasn't going to hit 199.

SidGenoMario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
  #9
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
I can only imagine how Mario felt going into the OT knowing he wasn't going to hit 199.
I'm guessing that when the 3rd period was winding down he was pretty sure he wouldn't be getting it anyway. There would have had to have been some pretty significant strides for him to get 2 more points with just 10 minutes left or so. I am guessing he knew by then it probably wouldn't happen. The best he could hope for at that time was scoring the go ahead goal and then being in on the empty netter.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
  #10
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Thanks.

You'd have to think, the Pens had 2nd place in their division secured regardless. They were making the playoffs and playing NYR win or lose with home ice advantage. Philly was in 4th in their division and playing the Capitals regardless. Deep down, you would think that one of the key things for the Pens to do was get 200 for Mario. He needed three points to do it. It must have been hell for him that game. 200 is such an elusive number to reach. He gets a goal early in the second and it had to be on his mind to reach 200. Just two more points in a couple periods. I guess once overtime hit with him at 198 they knew it was impossible.

And yes, that is NOT a typo on the empty net thing. Philly had pulled Hextall in that game for the extra attacker in overtime. If they won the game they would have gotten third place and jumped ahead of NYR. That explains why it says Hextall only allowed 5 goals. Mario potted the empty netter. One point short. Gut wrenching. Sort of reminds me of Adrian Peterson this year 9 yards short of the rushing yards single season record. The last drive of the game ended in a field goal for the Vikings.


On a sidenote, do people really believe had Mario had one extra point and reached 200 that he gets the Hart? Would voters be that short sighted and critical?
Gretzky was going to win unless Mario broke the record.

Biggest trade in history that resulted in Gretzky leading the bottom-ring Kings to 4th place.

I still stand by the voters giving Gretzky and Yzerman a trophy each so as to "honor" their legendary seasons. This way, no one goes home empty handed.


Also, there is no mention of Lemieux's points in the April 1st edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The March 31st edition is more concerned with Lemieux breaking Gretzky's SH goal record and the Pen's home ice. There is an article gushing over Lemieux with a quote from Rangers coach Michel Bergeron saying he is the best player in the world.


March 30th doesn't mention Lemieux. The articles are about their second line come playoff time and Rob Brown being 2 goals away from 50. Also, an article about Calgary recently signing the first Soviet NHL player in Sergei Priakin.

April 4 is a Pens season wrap up. Mentions Lemieux's contribution to minor hockey, Brown's standout season, and Pens defensive woes.

I didn't look any further, but there's a solid week where the paper doesn't mention Lemieux nearing 200 points once.

Newspaper links - http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...rontpage&hl=en

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:56 AM
  #11
alko
Registered User
 
alko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 500
There is still possibility , that someone made mistake. Im mean, the statistics are made by people. And i don't think, that in the all games was everything ok.

There was also some discussion about last 8-point performance from Sam Gagner. one of his assists is doubtful.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:30 AM
  #12
Rexor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brno
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Maybe it wasn't that big a deal back then since no one knew that Mario would never again come close to that 200 mark? He was only 23 in the spring of 1989.

I'm sure though this guy had to be suffering badly:


Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:33 AM
  #13
blogofmike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
It was 2-2 after one period. Mario scored his first goal early in the second, and the Pens scored two more to make it 5-2. Flyers scored 3 in the third to tie it, and Mario scored in OT. Strangely, it's listed as an EN goal in OT... but perhaps it's a typo.
"9. April 2, 1989: With the Flyers trying to improve their playoff positioning, they pull Ron Hextall in overtime. While the Spectrum crowd ponders this oddity, Lemieux scores at 3:38 for a 6-5 Pittsburgh victory the only overtime goal in Penguins history scored into an empty net." http://blogs.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/empty-netters/14238-feeling-empty-8-13-09

It's not a bad idea, like Montreal in 1970 was, but based on Wendell Young's ice time it apparently gave them six seconds of 6-on-5 before Mario got to 199.

They ended up beating the Caps and Penguins, so I guess it didn't really matter, but finishing with 2 points would give them the same record as the Rangers, and I believe their superior divisional record would allow Philly to avoid Washington and play Pittsburgh in Round 1.

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:44 AM
  #14
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,502
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogofmike View Post
"9. April 2, 1989: With the Flyers trying to improve their playoff positioning, they pull Ron Hextall in overtime. While the Spectrum crowd ponders this oddity, Lemieux scores at 3:38 for a 6-5 Pittsburgh victory the only overtime goal in Penguins history scored into an empty net." http://blogs.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/empty-netters/14238-feeling-empty-8-13-09

It's not a bad idea, like Montreal in 1970 was, but based on Wendell Young's ice time it apparently gave them six seconds of 6-on-5 before Mario got to 199.

They ended up beating the Caps and Penguins, so I guess it didn't really matter, but finishing with 2 points would give them the same record as the Rangers, and I believe their superior divisional record would allow Philly to avoid Washington and play Pittsburgh in Round 1.
Funny thing is, the Flyers beat the Capitals in the playoffs anyways

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:18 AM
  #15
66871
Registered User
 
66871's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Sounds like at a certain point, the goal became setting Brown up for his 50th goal of the season.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ieux+200&hl=en

66871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.