HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 08:35 AM
FlyingPhilly

vCash: 500
2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Continue...

Death for Seth

Old
03-30-2013, 09:01 AM
poneill27

Pooin'

Old
03-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Psuhockey

A response to FlyingPhilly:
Fixing the lottery for the Flyers to get Seth Jones would have nothing to do with helping the Flyers and everything to do with getting maximum exposure for Jones. The league doesn't care about Pittsburgh. It cares about Sidney Crosby.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:27 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Fixing the lottery for the Flyers to get Seth Jones would have nothing to do with helping the Flyers and everything to do with getting maximum exposure for Jones. The league doesn't care about Pittsburgh. It cares about Sidney Crosby.
Either way I will take it. Also, don't forget that Pittsburgh-Philly rivalry is one of the most popular and marketable in the NHL right now. The NHL doesn't want the Flyers to be down for long IMO

Old
03-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Either way I will take it. Also, don't forget that Pittsburgh-Philly rivalry is one of the most popular and marketable in the NHL right now. The NHL doesn't want the Flyers to be down for long IMO
Seth Jones versus Sidney Crosby: a marketer's dream. It would be just like the Ovechkin vs Crosby bs the league use to force feed everyone except there would be a legitimate rivalry there. Forward vs defenseman. Canadian vs U.S. Two of the most popular teams ratings wise squaring off against each other in a real rivalry with hatred and the two most hyped players potentially in the league ( if the NHL loves themselves some Seth Jones like I think they will).

Old
03-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Codith

Mackinnon vs Crosby

Would be more marque

Same home town, Philly vs Pitts ? Yes please

Old
03-30-2013, 10:12 AM
FLYguy3911

How do tickets for the draft work?

Old
03-30-2013, 10:29 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Nut sure. I think they are free though. The NHL draft isn't really a big draw.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:34 AM
iceman42

Quote:
you basically have to pledge your undying allegiance to Garry Bettman, kiss the gold ring on his hand and also kiss a picture of Sidney Crosby. from there you are on a waiting list and then you pay $50

Old
03-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I think you have to register through the team's website that is hosting the draft.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:59 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Mackinnon vs Crosby

Would be more marque

Same home town, Philly vs Pitts ? Yes please
That would be insane. I would venture to guess the first game they play against each other will be at the top of ratings for the NHL and it's history. (fingers crossed we get him - even tho we NEED a Seth type)

Old
03-30-2013, 11:18 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I think you have to register through the team's website that is hosting the draft.
Alright. I was going to wait until next year when it was in Philly, but if the Flyers are picking top 5, I'm going.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:26 AM
poneill27

Quote:
Alright. I was going to wait until next year when it was in Philly, but if the Flyers are picking top 5, I'm going.
So you're going. Me too hopefully. If you guys get the final answer (how to get tickets) let us know. Por favor!

Old
03-30-2013, 11:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I do think having an African-American player of Seth Jones caliber playing in a large market like Philadelphia will do wonders for the league while it continues to grow.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-30-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 12:12 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
If the league didn't care about Pittsburgh they would have let the Penguins relocate instead of giving them Crosby. That's my thoughts on that. Either way if we get Jones or one of Nurse/Drouin/MacKinnon/any top d-man prospect I would be ecstatic.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
daynus

jones or mac

would be very good for the league to market. they could make it work for either. us and the pens are a media coup and that would make the ratings even better. i would love of those two, jones first and foremost being bpa addresses a huge need for us. mac would be a huge coup upfront for us. but outside of those 2, would be happy but not ecstatic as i would be with those 2 would be drouin or nurse. and as far as the draft goes, i watch nhl,nba,nfl in whole. going live is awful. just dry,boring, so slow moving. not much excitement. you are stuck in your seat for hours, like 5-6 hrs. and those seats are not comfy. i went to the nhl draft in vancouver. some people may like it live. i like the tv version better.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
would be very good for the league to market. they could make it work for either. us and the pens are a media coup and that would make the ratings even better. i would love of those two, jones first and foremost being bpa addresses a huge need for us. mac would be a huge coup upfront for us. but outside of those 2, would be happy but not ecstatic as i would be with those 2 would be drouin or nurse. and as far as the draft goes, i watch nhl,nba,nfl in whole. going live is awful. just dry,boring, so slow moving. not much excitement. you are stuck in your seat for hours, like 5-6 hrs. and those seats are not comfy. i went to the nhl draft in vancouver. some people may like it live. i like the tv version better.
I would be more ecstatic with Drouin than MacKinnon. Him or Jones would make me feel more excited for the future.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:50 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

If we can make it out of this year with Jones or Drouin on our roster, it would make this painful year worth it. Drouin would be a star next to Giroux for the next decade, and I think he will be the best player from this draft. However Jones would be my #1 choice though for obvious reasons.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
YuioIklo

Any of the top 3 guys will improve this team a lot in the future if we can draft one.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Any of the top 3 guys will improve this team a lot in the future if we can draft one.
I think the two teams that are really going to be gung ho are the flyers and the Avs. I see both teams trying to trade up for the top pick , if that is the case Florida ( hypothetical first pick) can really milk out a ransom from the two teams competiting for the top selection.

If we have a top 3 pick, we have to package a deal for jones imo.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:12 PM
snoop88

i really believe the flyers will get top 3, but i dont think 1st overall

bettman will rig it for florida/colorado/calgary

he needs to build up one of those markets right now more than philly

Old
03-30-2013, 01:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop88 View Post
i really believe the flyers will get top 3, but i dont think 1st overall

bettman will rig it for florida/colorado/calgary

he needs to build up one of those markets right now more than philly
I hope you're not being serious. If so .

Old
03-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
If the league didn't care about Pittsburgh they would have let the Penguins relocate instead of giving them Crosby. That's my thoughts on that. Either way if we get Jones or one of Nurse/Drouin/MacKinnon/any top d-man prospect I would be ecstatic.
I agree that Crosby was given to Pittsburgh to save that franchise from relocating. After that pick, the state legislature agreed to use tax payer money to build them a new stadium. But, if I can continue with my crackpot conspiracy theories, Bettman was put into a bit of a precarious situation. Nation writers and even players, well Jeremy Roenick specifically, after the lock out were calling for the league to give New York Rangers the top pick for the benefit of the league. He couldn't award the Rangers the pick without looking like he completely rigged it. So if you want Crosby to rebuild the game in the U.S. after the lockout and can't place him in New York, the next best option is to put him on a team that plays New York regularly. The options were Pittsburgh, Philly, New Jersey, and the Islanders. Out of all those options, Pittsburgh was the franchise in the most danger.

Seth Jones is a different situation for the league. He is a defenseman so he will not revitalize a market all by himself with exciting offense production like Crosby. He will need to be on a team with a good fan base and more important a good media following to stay in the news. Also a defenseman won't get notoriety unless he is on a winning team so putting him on franchise that struggles to compete would push him out of the spotlight. I could be completely wrong and the league views him as a regular player but I have a suspicion that due to his backstory and race they will want to keep him in the news as much as possible. There are only a select fees teams that are currently out of the playoffs that can do that.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
snoop88

building up Miami/South Florida would be a huge boost for the league right now.
One playoff series win in like the last 20 years. They desperately need to get back there.

Calgary would be a reward to an horribly run franchise that just lost literally the best player in franchise history . Missed the playoffs for 4 straight years. Losing in the lottery could doom them for many years to come.

Colorado started out out for the first 5-6 years in Denver, but it's been all downhill since. Mediocrity.
Attendance has dwindled and the team has fallen to a distant 4th in Denver sports teams.

The Flyers are having an awful year, but this franchise is still beloved in Philly, sell out every game. Not a desperate organization right now by any stretch.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:31 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I do think having an African-American player of Seth Jones caliber playing in a large market like Philadelphia will do wonders for the league while it continues to grow.
Really? Who cares about race anymore?

Closed Thread