HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Calvin Pickard

Old
03-29-2013, 11:09 PM
hawkeyguru93

vCash: 500
Calvin Pickard

With Varlamov pretty much entrenched as the Avs starting goalie for at least the next 5 years, and quality backups being available on the FA market for somewhat cheap prices. What do people the think the Avs could get for Pickard?

He is said to be a great technically sound goalie that has the ability to become a very good and consistent NHL starting goaltender. He is only 21 years old and has posted really good numbers in the AHL despite the terrible defensive play in front of him. This would also give Aittokallio a chance to start and get more development.

Thoughts?

hawkeyguru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Habsfannick

I don't know him well but honestly not much just looking at his stats real quick (and I know stats don't always paint the real picture) he doesn't have much to go on that would make him valuable

For example as a habs fan we made a trade a couple of weeks back for an AHL goalie swap, we got Dustin Tokarski (who yes is a few years older then Calvin) had much better stats in the WHL, was a world junior gold medalist, a memorial cup winner and memorial cup MVP. All of this we got for Cedrick Desjardins an undrafted career AHL in his late 20's...
Young goalies just don't hold as much value I think anymore, but if you are keen on selling him don't go for teams like Philly who are having goalie problems cause their mindset isn't for developing goalies, try a team that sees the prize is giving him time to mature

Habsfannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:00 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

I'm assuming he takes over as Varly's backup when Giggy retires after next season. Then Aitto can take over the AHL job with Patterson/Milan as his backups. Pickard wouldn't realistically be traded for another few years until he's gotten some NHL burn to establish his value, and the others behind him in the system are closer to being viable backups themselves.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:53 AM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
I don't know him well but honestly not much just looking at his stats real quick (and I know stats don't always paint the real picture) he doesn't have much to go on that would make him valuable

For example as a habs fan we made a trade a couple of weeks back for an AHL goalie swap, we got Dustin Tokarski (who yes is a few years older then Calvin) had much better stats in the WHL, was a world junior gold medalist, a memorial cup winner and memorial cup MVP. All of this we got for Cedrick Desjardins an undrafted career AHL in his late 20's...
Young goalies just don't hold as much value I think anymore, but if you are keen on selling him don't go for teams like Philly who are having goalie problems cause their mindset isn't for developing goalies, try a team that sees the prize is giving him time to mature
Calvin played on one of the worst teams his whole junior career and because of that I think he now holds the CHL record for most saves and shots faced. His numbers don't really tell the story.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Habsfannick

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
Calvin played on one of the worst teams his whole junior career and because of that I think he now holds the CHL record for most saves and shots faced. His numbers don't really tell the story.
Which I can believe but his AHL stats aren't much better

Habsfannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Calvin and Aitto are here to stay. I also love people who judge young goalies based only on their stats. Calvin played on one of the worst CHL teams in recent memory, every single one of their games looked like a shooting gallery for the opposing teams and the defense in Lake Erie is everything except impressive.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
You never know what happens when it comes to goalies. You can never have too many in the system. If you ever have the problem of having too many NHL caliber goalies in the future, which is something Avs won't have to think about for at least two-three years, you can trade one.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:18 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
To be fair the monsters are pretty awful to, not only cause the Avs injury problems has meant we've been pilfering their best players, but because they've had their own injury problems to.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:54 AM
avsfan09

Quote:
What? A .914 SV Pct on a terribly bad defensive Lake Eerie team in his first pro season is bad?

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Crisp Breakout

I don't think he'd return much, at least not enough to make it worth it.

Plus, I'm intrigued by Pickard and really want to see how he pans out over the next couple of years. I wouldn't be shocked if he challenged Varlamov for the #1 role a couple of years down the road.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Zandar

Quote:
Stats can't tell the story. But if you look and see the 4-5 CHL/ECHL Ds he has playing in front of him...then you can understand how impressive those numbers are.

Zandar is offline   Reply With Quote