Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I would be reluctant to trade for anyone to go on Kane's line at this point. It just seems that's the place other players go to die. Kane is a great solo act and provides good secondary scoring for us but so far nobody has fit naturally with him and I would hate to get another player with 2nd line pedigree and pay grade that gets stuck in limbo because he doesn't mesh with Kane. I think we are going to have to fill that position from within over the next few seasons.
Scheifele.

Old
tntkid

Get whatever you can get for Antropov right now.

Old
Ziggy66

vCash: 764
It is a hard call. IMO we should put them out in the market and see what/if we get any offers. If there is nothing significant that could improve our team long-term or immediatly then keep Hains and Antro for our playoff push. We can worry about them re-signing or walking in the offseason after our first playoff appereance.

Also keep in mind we are moving to a harder division IMO so we are going to have a few years of rebuilding/re-tooling to adjust.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Much of this will be determined by the next 3 games. It will be a big difference in approach if they go 0-3 than if they go 2-1 or 3-0.

Going 0-3 means we'll be at .500 with only 10 games left to play. MUST BEAT CAROLINA TODAY!!!

Old
03-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Aries56

Jets have 4 forwards providing offense right now (LLW and Kane)... How long until the Jets break down?

Teams that go far in the playoffs have secondary scoring. Antropov, Miettinen, Wellwood (possibly even Jokinen, that's yet to be seen) just aren't getting it done and need to be upgraded. It doesn't matter how good you are along the boards, how well you cycle the puck or how well you can stick handle, if you're not getting it done in the end.

When you have NO secondary scoring, you're not a playoff team. Despite being close to making the playoffs, the Jets ARE still in rebuild mode. The playoffs will do wonders for the players we have now, but we need to get what we can for the guys who aren't part of the core going forward.

Trade Antro/Hainsey for the best return you can get. Send picks / B prospects (outside Trouba, Scheifele, Lowry) to bring a roster player back to upgrade our top 6. That's what I would like to see done.

Something to keep in mind, in the last 7 games, the Jets have had 4 meltdowns. (Ottawa, Washington, Washington and Pittsburgh)

Old
03-30-2013, 09:44 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Tough to make a call on any move without knowing the return.

Not really interested in moving anybody unless Chevy talks the partner into an overpay.
And what would that be? I don't think he'd move Hainsey for anything other than a 1st. Odds are he'll stay for that price. There is a chance he gets a bite.

I don't think Antropov is moving. He might get a 2nd and a 3rd, but our lack of scoring up front doesn't give us the luxury of trading him.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:47 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
An upgrade over thornburn is needed.
His name is Peluso.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Whileee

A couple of other thoughts...

I think we need to realize that the only teams that would have an interest in Hainsey and Antro are upper echelon teams that want to make a deep run in the playoffs, without taking on salary for the coming years. In those cases, the UFA status is a bonus, because they won't affect their salary cap status next year and beyond. So any notion that they could be traded to a lower team (e.g. Edm, Buff) is a pipe dream.

This is a horrible time to use picks to buy roster players, since there is a premium for useful players now, and the draft fever hasn't taken hold with the GMs. The best time to trade draft picks is around or at the draft, when other teams are salivating over some "gem" of a prospect.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Holden Caulfield
Eternal Skeptic

All this talk about how Antropov is "not getting it done" as a 3rd liner. Complete BS. He is great defensively and adds something offensively, exactly what you want out of the 3rd liner.

For those saying we need more out of him (remember he is clearly a 3rd liner). He is 5th among Jets forwards in points. He would be 6th with LA. He would be 8th with CHI. He would be 8th with MTL. He would be 7th with BOS. Seems like he is producing exactly what you would expect out of him ANYWHERE.

Seems like he is producing just fine. He is an ideal 3rd liner. He needs to be locked up with a new contract NOT dealt.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:59 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Seems like he is producing just fine. He is an ideal 3rd liner. He needs to be locked up with a new contract NOT dealt.
He's just overpaid that's the only real problem. I'd much rather deal Hainsey.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:09 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

We have three games before the deadline. The outcome of those games could greatly affect what happens trade-wise. We also seem to be getting a lot of help in the standings from other teams beating Carolina, etc..

Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Washington all have 31-32 points. All it takes is for one of them to get real hot. Washington looks like the most likely. However we're 7 points ahead, it would be very hard for them to catch us.

Our schedule is also very easy. Only 13 games left, and only 5 are against teams currently in the playoffs. Montreal is the very last game, and they could not dress a lot of key guys to save them for the playoffs. Also only 5 are on the road. There's two back to backs and they're both on the road.

This is a totally different situation compared to last year around deadline time. We were teetering between 8-10 place, and other teams always had games at hand. Our schedule also wasn't very good, lots of tough teams and on the road.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 1125
Quote:
All this talk about how Antropov is "not getting it done" as a 3rd liner. Complete BS. He is great defensively and adds something offensively, exactly what you want out of the 3rd liner.

For those saying we need more out of him (remember he is clearly a 3rd liner). He is 5th among Jets forwards in points. He would be 6th with LA. He would be 8th with CHI. He would be 8th with MTL. He would be 7th with BOS. Seems like he is producing exactly what you would expect out of him ANYWHERE.

Antrodick (copyright FunkyBunny) takes a lot of unwarranted criticism.
He is one of the most dependable forwards the Jets have.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Whileee

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
The issue with Antro (and Hainsey) is that they are both UFAs, so there is a good chance that they will leave at the end of the year without any compensation. The team has a fairly low number of prospects in the pipeline, so I think that they should definitely consider using the UFAs to stock the cupboard.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:27 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
The issue with Antro (and Hainsey) is that they are both UFAs, so there is a good chance that they will leave at the end of the year without any compensation. The team has a fairly low number of prospects in the pipeline, so I think that they should definitely consider using the UFAs to stock the cupboard.
I think Hainsey has about an 80% chance of walking if we don't trade him. Antropov is much lower. I can see him sticking around, at a much lower salary.

I also don't think Hainsey will get as much as some people think. He's not comparable to Matt Carle.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:35 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Agreed.
Anto and Hainsey are completely different situations. In addition to Antro's ability as a 3C, size and utility on specialty teams, he seems to be settled in Wpg-I believe he has kids going to school here-and so has a reasonable chance of being re-signed at the right price. He is also a mentor for Burmi and a veteran presence. I doubt highly he'd garner a first rounder in a trade and so his loss would not be worth the potential gain.
Hainsey has shown absolutely no affinity to Wpg that i can discern and I am convinced he wants out-- to some combination of a SC contender, to the Boston/NY area, or to the highest bidder...ideally, all 3 in 1. I also happen to think he is a very smart and capable D--easily # 4 on most teams and as such could garner a first-rounder or equivalent prospect. I'd love to re-sign him before the deadline, but it's just not in the cards.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Whileee

Quote:
I think Hainsey has about an 80% chance of walking if we don't trade him. Antropov is much lower. I can see him sticking around, at a much lower salary.

I also don't think Hainsey will get as much as some people think. He's not comparable to Matt Carle.
I'd be happy with keeping Antro at the right salary. I appreciate his game, and I think it's important to have size up front.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Aries56

Quote:

Something to keep in mind, Antro played a good chunk of the season on the second line with Kane. His 11 assists almost all came from goals from Kane. Also, 7 of his points (almost half) came from a 5 game stint. That leaves him with 2 goals and 6 assists over 30 games.

That's not much offensively considering he also plays on the second PP unit and is averaging just under 2 minutes a game of PP time.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Holden Caulfield
Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries56 View Post
Something to keep in mind, Antro played a good chunk of the season on the second line with Kane. His 11 assists almost all came from goals from Kane. Also, 7 of his points (almost half) came from a 5 game stint. That leaves him with 2 goals and 6 assists over 30 games.

That's not much offensively considering he also plays on the second PP unit and is averaging just under 2 minutes a game of PP time.
Yeah, no he did not, and no they did not. I am having trouble finding the stats, but he played like 3-4 games with Kane. And that 5 game stint where he scored 7 points was NOT with Kane.

Kane is so vastly overrated thanks to his speed and shot and Antropov is so vastly underrated thanks to his lack of speed and shot it is not even funny.

He's a 3rd liner. You don't expect 3rd liners to score every game. They are going to be streaky. If he was consistent he would not be a 3rd liner. You can do that with basically any 3rd liner in the league. Are people expecting 20g, 50pt production out of the 3rd line?

Even when he is not scoring Antropov's line has often been the most effective, even with snakebitten Tangradi and basically useless Wellwood. We build a real 3rd line around Antropov and some of the streakiness will dissappear. He is the key to us having even a 3rd line this year.

Seriously, name me a 3rd line in the NHL Antropov does not improve. It simply cannot be done.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:10 AM
surixon

I think the only move he makes is to trade Hainsy if the price is right. Given that its the trade deadline and it is shaping up to be a real sellers market he isn't likely to be able to acquire forwards with term for a good price so he's probably better off to wait until the draft to acquire longer term solutions to some of our holes.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:14 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Scheifele.
I sure hope so....my fear is that like everyone else Mark and Evander won't be a match then what do you do with Scheifele? Mark seems very versatile and our best hope but Evander is a really tough fit for anyone.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:18 AM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Quote:

Seriously, name me a 3rd line in the NHL Antropov does not improve. It simply cannot be done.
Matt Cooke-Brandon Sutter-Jerome Iginla.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Holden Caulfield
Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Matt Cooke-Brandon Sutter-Jerome Iginla.
Iginla is not going to play 3rd line.

And I take Antropov over Cooke. No problem. And over Morrow who is a mere shadow of his former self.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:43 AM
heilongjetsfan

I think Antro's good for us, and seems to gel with Kane and Burmi in particular. The impression that he's slow is overblown, in my opinion. It just seems that way because of his giant's stride.

Hainsey on the other hand shouldn't be excluded from any reasonable trade considerations. A first rounder from any team in the NHL should be enough to my mind. Something less than that and I'm not so sure.

I've seen a few people suggesting we need to add a player (RW specifically) to make a playoff run. At this point, I think a playoff run is secondary. Sticking to the plan could make us a powerhouse in the west inside of 3 years. Parades in 2015.

That said if you REEEEALLY want a rental, Jagr might be cheap. Mightn't he?

Old
03-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Iginla is not going to play 3rd line.

And I take Antropov over Cooke. No problem. And over Morrow who is a mere shadow of his former self.
I was under the impression iginla was going to start on the third.

besides that, i agree with you, i'd take antro over cooke. I don't know if he improves "every" thrid line, but its probably close. he's severely underrated

Old
03-30-2013, 12:01 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I was under the impression iginla was going to start on the third.

besides that, i agree with you, i'd take antro over cooke. I don't know if he improves "every" thrid line, but its probably close. he's severely underrated
Iginla looks to be starting today with Malkin and Neal. I don't see a problem with having Antro on the third line, infact I don't think our bottem six when everyone is healthy is a problem at all. Sure a little more offense would be nice but they by and large get the job done. The problem on this team is the 2nd line, outside of Kane we are not getting adequate secondary scoring.

Closed Thread