HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-13 Manitoba Bisons/CIS Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Was talking to a Western guy in Sask. He indicated that UWO "may" put a bid in for the next Championship. I can't see it happening in Halifax due to the B-Ball ( AUS Final 6 )the week before. Only so many corporate dollars to go around and Phil Currie is NOT hockey-centric........

Edit: Regarding covering the upper bowl. In a 15K arena that is a normal event. Weather and the lack of a home team played a huge part in the number of fans. I am very surprised that UofS elected to open on Thursday night.
Agree, they better start on Friday night, instead of opening on Thursday again.Everyone is lucky that only one AUS team will be there next year.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:56 PM
northvanman

Quote:
Was talking to a Western guy in Sask. He indicated that UWO "may" put a bid in for the next Championship. I can't see it happening in Halifax due to the B-Ball ( AUS Final 6 )the week before. Only so many corporate dollars to go around and Phil Currie is NOT hockey-centric........
I think it would be another attendance disaster if this was hosted in London. It is a London Knights town and very few hockey fans care about the Mustangs/university hockey - despite the fact that the Mustangs have been a top team in the OUA virtually every year since the early 1980's. They get 200-300 fans per game at Thompson Arena, maybe double that when they play Lakehead. They experimented a few season ago by moving the Mustangs games downtown to the (then named) John Labatt Centre in an effort to pull more of the community into the games - they did get more fans, but it was still under 1,000 in a building that holds a little over 9,000.

I agree with the comments about Toronto not being a great choice either - plus, I don't think you want any of Ryerson, U of T, or York in the tourny based on any of their recent history.

For the OUA to host, Lakehead may be the only practical choice - in addition to a new junior team in North Bay, it is a location that is a pain in the butt to get to for teams that are travelling. Ottawa may be an option, but I have my doubts about the ability to draw there.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
I would think that Winnipeg would be the best bet of any of the other CanadaWest to host this event. It is the only big Western market to not have major junior as a rival. I'm sure that something could be worked out with the corporate side of things, maybe even the Jets as a partner? You need the corporate support or it's dead!
It's central location is also attractive. MTS Centre would be the logical site. How big is the next possible arena in Winnipeg?
If the Jets sponsored the event they could sell tickets. They have 13,000 STH and 8,000 paid on the waiting list, and giving them a deal on U-Cup tickets is quite possible.

After the MTS Centre, the St. James Civic Centre and Max Bell Arena both hold about 1,500. The MTS Iceplex is slightly smaller.

The lower bowl at the MTS Centre holds 8,800 or so and that's what they would use for a U-Cup.

When the U of W was going to start a women's team the Manitoba Moose were going to help them, so maybe this isn't too far-fetched.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:58 AM
FreddtFoyle

Personally, I have long believed that London and Winnipeg would both make good future sites for the University Cup, if, and probably only if, the local hockey powers (London Knights and Winnipeg Jets) partnered in the event. Since the CIS teams in those markets are Top-10 teams, we would have competitive hosts.

Much as I'd like to see the UCup return to Maple Leaf Gardens (I was there the last time UCup was played in MLG in 1997) I also remember the lack of media coverage in the GTA. As well, I remember the three-team pick-a-host-team playoff in Kitchener-Waterloo, and having a non-contender as host really didn't help the crowds at all. It is also unsporting, as the other two teams in that pool are practically guaranteed a win while the other pool becomes a "pool of death".

I believe it is best for the CIS, and fans, if the host teams are required to be nationally competitive. Right now that rules out Toronto. Thanks to Carleton, Ottawa could be a viable host city, but I don't know how it could find an audience with all the hockey there. Halifax should work, and you could always drop back to the 5000 seat Halifax Forum if you were worried about filling the Metro Centre (but they'd finally have to getting around to putting in real net pegs).

The Civic Centre in Charlottetown seats as many as the AUC at UNB, but I don't know if UPEI would be willing to take the financial risk. Rinks at Acadia and StFX are too small, seating wise. So more than likely, the next time the University Cup returns to the Maritimes, if not Halifax, it will be Moncton or Fredericton.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:02 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Personally, I have long believed that London and Winnipeg would both make good future sites for the University Cup, if, and probably only if, the local hockey powers (London Knights and Winnipeg Jets) partnered in the event. Since the CIS teams in those markets are Top-10 teams, we would have competitive hosts.

Much as I'd like to see the UCup return to Maple Leaf Gardens (I was there the last time UCup was played in MLG in 1997) I also remember the lack of media coverage in the GTA. As well, I remember the three-team pick-a-host-team playoff in Kitchener-Waterloo, and having a non-contender as host really didn't help the crowds at all. It is also unsporting, as the other two teams in that pool are practically guaranteed a win while the other pool becomes a "pool of death".

I believe it is best for the CIS, and fans, if the host teams are required to be nationally competitive. Right now that rules out Toronto. Thanks to Carleton, Ottawa could be a viable host city, but I don't know how it could find an audience with all the hockey there. Halifax should work, and you could always drop back to the 5000 seat Halifax Forum if you were worried about filling the Metro Centre (but they'd finally have to getting around to putting in real net

The Civic Centre in Charlottetown seats as many as the AUC at UNB, but I don't know if UPEI would be willing to take the financial risk. Rinks at Acadia and StFX are too small, seating wise. So more than likely, the next time the University Cup returns to the Maritimes, if not Halifax, it will be Moncton or Fredericton.
Not the Forum, seats over 4,000, but just too old and dingy for the University showcase. It would have to be the Metro Center, if it's Halifax. I like this venue and the MTS in Winnipeg, as their program has been competitive for many years. Ontario is a big gamble?
I would think that McGill might have interests, but Montreal probably wouldn't generate the buzz.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
AUS Fan

If you can host the Nationals in Fort William Gardens you can host it in the Fabulous Forum.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Rob

Did Halifax put in a bid a few years ago?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:03 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
If you can host the Nationals in Fort William Gardens you can host it in the Fabulous Forum.
I have only seen that rink on webcast, can't comment. The forum would need upgrades, lighting,especially. It could use a little TLC, but Metro would be the ideal location.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
rethinking

It's a shame that the AUS doesn't go out of their way to further promote the AUS hockey brand by hosting Nationals because of its great success at the national level over the years.
It's surprising that Mr. Steinburg can't get Mr. Currie onboard about Halifax putting in a bid?

rethinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Good and Bad News

First, the bad news. Former Bison coach and renowned NHL assistant coach Wayne Fleming passed away after a long battle with cancer. I once heard former Bison Stu "The Grim Reaper" Grimson describe Fleming as the best teacher of the game he had.

Quote:
After his graduation and his playing days were over, Fleming continued to be on the University of Manitoba campus as he was the assistant coach of the Bison men’s hockey team for the next three years (1976-77 to 1979-80) and then moved from assistant to head coach in 1980-81 and was at the helm of the Bisons for nine seasons (1980-81 to 1986-87 and 1988-89 and ’89-90). During those productive years, Fleming guided the Bisons to back-to-back GPAC (defunct now Great Plains Athletic Conference) Championships from 1983-84 (regular season record: 19-4-1) and 1984-85 (17-3-4) plus named GPAC Coach of the Year in 1982-83 and 1984-85 and also selected as Canadian Interuniversity Athletic Union (now CIS) Coach of the Year in 1984-85.

In addition, Fleming coached future NHL stars Mike Ridley and Stu Grimson plus Canadian Olympian Vaughn Karpan during his days with Manitoba. Fleming also coached Sirant during his four year playing career from 1981-82 to 1984-85 and helped Sirant into the coaching ranks as he was named an assistant coach in Fleming’s last season during 1989-90 year (Sirant would then later became the Bison men’s hockey head coach in the 1992-93 season).

After Manitoba, Fleming had a very successful coaching career both internationally and at the National Hockey League (NHL) level. He was part of the Canadian National Team from 1990-92 in the role of assistant coach and general manager as they proceeded to win a silver medal at the 1992 Winter Olympics. Then from 1992 until 1996, he was the head coach of Leksands IF of the Swedish Elitserien. Fleming was coach of the Landshut Cannibals in Germany for one year before returning to North America to become an assistant coach with the New York Islanders in 1997-98 for two seasons. He was also an assistant coach in the NHL for the Phoenix Coyotes (1999-00, ‘00-01), the Philadelphia Flyers (2002-03 to 2005-06), the Calgary Flames (2006-07, ‘08-09) and finished with the Tampa Bay Lightning (2010-11 and 2011-12). Fleming continue his success internationally as he went back to the Canadian national program in 2000 and was named the Vice President, Hockey by Hockey Canada and served as an associate coach for the national team when it captured a gold medal at the 2002 Winter Olympics and the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.
Now, the good news. Former Bison captain Mike Hellyer was named Central Hockey League rookie of the year. He played for the Quad City Mallards.

Quote:
Hellyer, 26, leads CHL rookies in points (60) and assists (37), is tied for second among first year players in plus/minus rating (+13) and ranks third among rookies in goals (23). The Brandon, Manitoba, native is the Mallards’ second-leading point scorer. Hellyer on Monday was selected to the CHL All-Rookie Team.

Links:
|> [Fleming Press Release]
|> [Hellyer Press Release]

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:11 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post

First, the bad news. Former Bison coach and renowned NHL assistant coach Wayne Fleming passed away after a long battle with cancer. I once heard former Bison Stu "The Grim Reaper" Grimson describe Fleming as the best teacher of the game he had.
Condolences to the University of Manitoba hockey community on their loss. Fleming was a great individual. So many successes come from our University hockey community in Canada but we don't seem to trumpet them. A good one was lost in Fleming.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:51 PM
gleanerguy

Never heard anyone say anything negative about Fleming. HNIC acknowledged his passing as they signed off After Hours Sat. night and apparently the oldtimers hockey group including Hrudey and Scot Oake had a dressing room toast to him after their Tuesday group.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote