HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kaberle on waivers. (UPDATE: Cleared Waivers)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2013, 11:46 AM
  #51
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
No way would Molson want to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Damn this is interesting. Would Molson be interested to bite? Still $24M over 16 years - that's a lot of money for a 1st.
16 years?
Thought there werent that many years left.

The other thing is -- that package was great for Drouin. Not only because he's French -- he's, at the very worst, the 2nd best player of this draft.

However, where the Isles are, we're looking at Nurse/Gauthier kind of players.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
  #52
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Why not? We'd get a very good 1st Pick, which may guarantee more playoff games and profit than (DiPietro - Kaberle) difference would cost him.
Not even Roman Abramovich would eat 25m$ in one sitting. That's brutal dude.

Maybe in exchange fore like three or more 1sts but even then Molson's financial officer would be tearing his hair out. Also Habs fans would be paying a lot of "optimum" prices.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:48 AM
  #53
sakiaba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Most creative possible solution is still the one I proposed a while ago : Kaberle for Dipietro + Isles 1st, then buyout DiPietro.

With the Isles getting better, that situation is more and more acceptable for the Isles. But a bit least interesting for Montreal.
I thought that your idea was crazy until I thought about it a bit... essentially you're asking whether the Islanders would trade their 1st pick for $21M ($24M over 16 years for Luongo minus $3M over two years for Kaberle). Charles Wang isn't that greedy/stupid, is he?

sakiaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:50 AM
  #54
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakiaba View Post
I thought that your idea was crazy until I thought about it a bit... essentially you're asking whether the Islanders would trade their 1st pick for $21M ($24M over 16 years for Luongo minus $3M over two years for Kaberle). Charles Wang isn't that greedy/stupid, is he?
21m is a lot of money, and yes he would. Almost any owner would. That's a LOT of money.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:51 AM
  #55
LaTenderness
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Bye bye Tomas ...... And hellllllo Big BOUWMY

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:51 AM
  #56
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakiaba View Post
I thought that your idea was crazy until I thought about it a bit... essentially you're asking whether the Islanders would trade their 1st pick for $21M ($24M over 16 years for Luongo minus $3M over two years for Kaberle). Charles Wang isn't that greedy/stupid, is he?
The Isles would trade their 1st for 21M$, plus the caproom given by Kaberle.
However, them signing Visnovski made that a bit less likely...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:52 AM
  #57
Stephaaane
Registered User
 
Stephaaane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Why not? We'd get a very good 1st Pick, which may guarantee more playoff games and profit than (DiPietro - Kaberle) difference would cost him.
DiPietro Buy out = 24 M$

Kaberle Buy oute = 2.75 M$


If your G.Molson, do you pay 21 M$ to get a 15 ish overall pick. I wouldn't, a 15 th overall is too much of a gamble even with TT has your head scout. Return on investment wouldn't be that good if you ask me...

Stephaaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:54 AM
  #58
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaaane View Post
DiPietro Buy out = 24 M$

Kaberle Buy oute = 2.75 M$


If your G.Molson, do you pay 21 M$ to get a 15 ish overall pick. I wouldn't, a 15 th overall is too much of a gamble even with TT has your head scout. Return on investment wouldn't be that good if you ask me...
Nope. Not ever. And you fire you're GM if he were to suggest it... like, on the spot.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:55 AM
  #59
SnapVirus
Registered User
 
SnapVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mtl., QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaaane View Post
DiPietro Buy out = 24 M$

Kaberle Buy oute = 2.75 M$


If your G.Molson, do you pay 21 M$ to get a 15 ish overall pick. I wouldn't, a 15 th overall is too much of a gamble even with TT has your head scout. Return on investment wouldn't be that good if you ask me...
Yeahhh buttt a 15th ov + 25 ov = maybe a 8th-10th ov.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:56 AM
  #60
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Most creative possible solution is still the one I proposed a while ago : Kaberle for Dipietro + Isles 1st, then buyout DiPietro.

With the Isles getting better, that situation is more and more acceptable for the Isles. But a bit least interesting for Montreal.
I got a better one.
We take Dipietro, Tavares, Martin for our 2013 first, Calgary 2nd, Kaberle, Lablanc. More if needed.

JT would be worth buying out Dipietro. We have a 1/2 center combo of Tavares/Galchenyuck for a decade and Eller becomes our specialist third line center.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
  #61
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Nope. Not ever. And you fire you're GM if he were to suggest it... like, on the spot.
Which has a chance of winning the Lottery.. no?

It's Molson's decision to take, since it involves him directly. If Bergevin gets the opportunity, he shouldn't make THAT specific decision for Molson.

And if you fire an employee because he offers you "think outside the box" solutions, you'd be a terrible employer. Just say "no", and get on with your job.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
  #62
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Are you guys serious with this Dipietro trade nonsense? Do you really think Molson wants to spend $24M for a mid 1st round pick? You guys need to go outside and get some air.


Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 03-30-2013 at 12:05 PM.
PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:00 PM
  #63
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Most creative possible solution is still the one I proposed a while ago : Kaberle for Dipietro + Isles 1st, then buyout DiPietro.

With the Isles getting better, that situation is more and more acceptable for the Isles. But a bit least interesting for Montreal.
That would be awesome. Hell of a lot of money though and I wouldn't expect Molson to foot that bill. At the very least he'd want one of their good young prospects plus a 1st back.

No way this happens but it sure would be awesome if it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Are you guys serious with this Dipietro trade nonsense? Do you really think Molson wants to $24M for a mid 1st round pick? You guys need to go outside and get some air.
Kind of fun speculating on spending somebody else's money though.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:02 PM
  #64
sakiaba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
21m is a lot of money, and yes he would. Almost any owner would. That's a LOT of money.
It is, but can you imagine the optics of that deal? It would enrage Islander fans and embarass the league, and the latter alone might stop that from happening.

sakiaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:03 PM
  #65
Stephaaane
Registered User
 
Stephaaane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Yeahhh buttt a 15th ov + 25 ov = maybe a 8th-10th ov.
So you would pay 21 M$ to go up 15 spot on a draft that is deep in the 1st round? I still don't do it if i'm the owner. There are other ways to go up in the draft if your player still there. 21 M$!!!

Stephaaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:04 PM
  #66
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,699
vCash: 500
If it was Kaberle for Tavares + DiPietro + 1st maybe Molson would entertain the concept but even then, Wang would be ecstatic, the fans furious and Molson's financial manager on suicide watch.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:04 PM
  #67
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Which has a chance of winning the Lottery.. no?

It's Molson's decision to take, since it involves him directly. If Bergevin gets the opportunity, he shouldn't make THAT specific decision for Molson.

And if you fire an employee because he offers you "think outside the box" solutions, you'd be a terrible employer. Just say "no", and get on with your job.
If you're employee says he wants you to spend $64m on contracts in 2014-15 plus spend an additional $24m to acquire a 1st round pick, you let him go. That would not be thinking outside the box, when you could simply trade the Isles for a 1st rd pick. That would be a GM building a box to bury his career in.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:05 PM
  #68
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,704
vCash: 500
I really think that MB is hoping to gain the roster spot with this move. If we get healthy;

Ryder
Plekanec
Gionta
Pacioretty
Desharnais
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Eller
Bourque
Prust
White
Halpern
Armstrong
Moen
=14

Markov
Diaz
Gorges
Emelin
Subban
Bouillon
Weber
=7

Price
Budaj
=2

=23 + Kaberle

That puts us over the maximum, so we have one body too many. And Weber, at this point, is still young enough to keep.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:06 PM
  #69
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Are you guys serious with this Dipietro trade nonsense? Do you really think Molson wants to spend $24M for a mid 1st round pick? You guys need to go outside and get some air.
I think it was very possible.
Until the NYI surge.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:08 PM
  #70
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
If it was Kaberle for Tavares + DiPietro + 1st maybe Molson would entertain the concept but even then, Wang would be ecstatic, the fans furious and Molson's financial manager on suicide watch.
Again...
THAT move would have passed very well if MB promised Molson to pick Jonathan Drouin.

But that would be impossible with a 12th or so.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:09 PM
  #71
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Sports talk radio, I don't know if this makes any sense, Jay Bouwmeester could fit into what we need, another top 4 defenseman who can log 25 mins per game, thus reducing Josh Gorges to comfortable 20 mins a game and not 24. The problem here is Jay Bouw is signed for another year at $6.8 mil. He's got size 6'4' 220lbs and skates like the wind.

We probably depart with Louis Leblanc or Dany Kristo and a pick. Guessing that's the going rate.
"probably" - LOL

I can say that "probably" no one will take Kaberle on waivers, though you never know.

But to say that we "probably" are departing with Louis Leblanc or Danny Kristo, that is impossible to know. Are you Ecklund?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:09 PM
  #72
Valois
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
I'm glad they did it. I didn't think Kaberle looked bad this season and I think it was really just his the desire to buy out his contract and the fact we had other, more reliable PMD's that had him sitting. Would be nice if he got claimed.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:10 PM
  #73
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Again...
THAT move would have passed very well if MB promised Molson to pick Jonathan Drouin.

But that would be impossible with a 12th or so.
If Tavares is in the mix you bet it is worth it. We would have the best young center core in the league.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:10 PM
  #74
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakiaba View Post
It is, but can you imagine the optics of that deal? It would enrage Islander fans and embarass the league, and the latter alone might stop that from happening.
Wang is pissed at the league for a variety of reasons and he wants to get out of this horrible, horrible investment as soon as possible. Ridding himself of a 21m poison pill is his get the f out of jail free card. The incoming owners would get a lot of leeway from the fans for a one-year extended rebuild as well, they wouldn't give a damn anyway.

21,000,000$ I doubt Molson has that kind of liquid available. I doubt any owner in the league would even consider it without some serious, serious motivation. The motivation would have to be Tavares, a couple of 1sts and the trading GM's contract signed in blood stating that they'll make the conference finals in 21 games every year until the investment is paid off. Also ticket prices would rise too.

It's like absurd to even think about and Molson being the greedy slimerball that he's shown to be, I doubt he'll do it for anything.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:11 PM
  #75
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I really think that MB is hoping to gain the roster spot with this move. If we get healthy;

Ryder
Plekanec
Gionta
Pacioretty
Desharnais
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Eller
Bourque
Prust
White
Halpern
Armstrong
Moen
=14

Markov
Diaz
Gorges
Emelin
Subban
Bouillon
Weber
=7

Price
Budaj
=2

=23 + Kaberle

That puts us over the maximum, so we have one body too many. And Weber, at this point, is still young enough to keep.
This is exactly right. If someone takes Kabs, that is a bonus.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.