HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who needs or who would take Ribeiro?

Old
08-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Catch-22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I'm not calling him a retard, but he's just not ready. I could see him getting a call-up or even giving him a regular shift on the 3rd or 4th line this year. But right now he's an AHL player and that's where he belongs for at least one more year.

And Ribs played well during the playoffs, after Koivu got injured pretty much the whole team fizzled. Looking at all the second line centres in the NHL, ribs is pretty well in the middle of the pack as far as talent and capabilities. His old reviews were seeing him as a future #1 if he bulked up and picked up some speed; but he didn't so he's a #2. I'd love to have him fill out and work on his speed and really dominate. It would be nice to see someone with more talent and physical domanance but we don't have anyone who's ready to do that. So we have to deal with it, especially if Koivu's not coming back at 100%. We'll need Ribs really badly.

Ribeiro was TERRIBLE in the playoffs. And I don't see how the fact that he didn't live up to #1 potential automatically makes him a decent number 2.

I'm not sure how you came to your conclusion about Plekanec. He already had a regular shift on the third line last year and played very well on the PK. He was more effective than Ribeiro. Plekanec is probably ready and he proved it in the playoffs last year. He's a better all around hockey player than dear Mike.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
You answered your question... No one...

Ribs wont survive long in the new NHL be sure... I even doubt a team will offer him a contract after the next season... Perreault signed with Nashville so nothing is gonna surprise me but I seriously doubt...
Oh come on. You're going to tell me that not one of thirty teams would have any interest in a guy who put up 50+ point seasons in the two full seasons he played? I'm not a huge fan of Ribeiro myself but let's be realistic. Sure he's a weak link to our team, but he's not the cancer most Montreal fans would have you believe.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:13 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
I'm not calling him a retard, but he's just not ready. I could see him getting a call-up or even giving him a regular shift on the 3rd or 4th line this year. But right now he's an AHL player and that's where he belongs for at least one more year.

And Ribs played well during the playoffs, after Koivu got injured pretty much the whole team fizzled. Looking at all the second line centres in the NHL, ribs is pretty well in the middle of the pack as far as talent and capabilities. His old reviews were seeing him as a future #1 if he bulked up and picked up some speed; but he didn't so he's a #2. I'd love to have him fill out and work on his speed and really dominate. It would be nice to see someone with more talent and physical domanance but we don't have anyone who's ready to do that. So we have to deal with it, especially if Koivu's not coming back at 100%. We'll need Ribs really badly.
Whoa there bud. I support Ribs as a 2nd line C but damn, to say Plek is still AHL material is hogwash. He is definitely ready for NHL duty. He could play 2nd C, and he's already great playing 3,4 (depending on which line the grinders play...). Pleky with the young guns playing beside him is in my opinion, potent. Could be like the 2nd line (Dag-Ribs-Ryder) of 03-04. No one saw it coming (out side Hab fans that is). I say, keep Ribs on 2nd with the veterans, and let Pleky, Perez and others dominate the third line. Could be an awesome year

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:16 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Oh come on. You're going to tell me that not one of thirty teams would have any interest in a guy who put up 50+ point seasons in the two full seasons he played? I'm not a huge fan of Ribeiro myself but let's be realistic. Sure he's a weak link to our team, but he's not the cancer most Montreal fans would have you believe.
Agreed. There is absolutely no way Ribs will fall through the cracks and end up in the AHL. No 50+ point player gets sent down. Heck, he had a bad year and got a bit over 50. With a potential to hit 65 and more in a good season, teams are going to say nah, we don't need him???
30-40 pts with his failings? Maybe. 50+? No way.

Old
08-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Whoa there bud. I support Ribs as a 2nd line C but damn, to say Plek is still AHL material is hogwash. He is definitely ready for NHL duty. He could play 2nd C, and he's already great playing 3,4 (depending on which line the grinders play...). Pleky with the young guns playing beside him is in my opinion, potent. Could be like the 2nd line (Dag-Ribs-Ryder) of 03-04. No one saw it coming (out side Hab fans that is). I say, keep Ribs on 2nd with the veterans, and let Pleky, Perez and others dominate the third line. Could be an awesome year
I guess I didn't express myself very well. I think that he's a current AHL level first or second line centre. As far as getting a full time second line centre in the NHL, he's not ready. He belongs either on the 3-4th line full time or in the AHL for some development of his offensive game. I don't think he belongs as a regular 2nd line centre right now. He still needs a bit more maturity. Not to say that Pleks should never play second line, especially if there are injuries or holes to fill. I just don't see him there full time.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:31 PM
znk

Quote:
Man your name is one "L" away from being super creepy.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:34 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
I guess I didn't express myself very well. I think that he's a current AHL level first or second line centre. As far as getting a full time second line centre in the NHL, he's not ready. He belongs either on the 3-4th line full time or in the AHL for some development of his offensive game. I don't think he belongs as a regular 2nd line centre right now. He still needs a bit more maturity. Not to say that Pleks should never play second line, especially if there are injuries or holes to fill. I just don't see him there full time.
I Think we need Ribeiro as our seconde line center, but it's not fair to say that pleks is a AHL center, he is definately NHL ready

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:50 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by habslife View Post
See you next week for the next Ribeiro Bashing Thread...

Any predictions to who will be posting the next one????

I even saw someone bashing Ribeiro in a Carey Price Thread

Give him a break!
I've been thinking of suggesting they make a Ribs sticky as to avoid the hundred of threads still to come.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
I Think we need Ribeiro as our seconde line center, but it's not fair to say that pleks is a AHL center, he is definately NHL ready
he means that he's only 3th or 4 th line ready , but not yet 2nd or first line ready , in the NHL . And he's right !

The same thing could be said about Ribeiro and the first line . He's able to play a good game on the second line , but fails when he's playing on the first , because he than faces the forcheck liners .

It would be the same with Plekanec , if he would centering the second line , even worse if he would have to plays on the first , if Saku would get injured .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 05:54 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
I've been thinking of suggesting they make a Ribs sticky as to avoid the hundred of threads still to come.
the one i like the most is when they are saying that he got enough chances to proved something , and always fails ; Geez he was the points leader of the team 2 seasons ago !?!

Old
08-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
the one i like the most is when they are saying that he got enough chances to proved something , and always fails ; Geez he was the points leader of the team 2 seasons ago !?!
That was when he was riding the coat tails of Michael Ryder, whose snap shot couldn't miss. Koivu also missed 14 games that year and would have been the leading scorer if he hadn't. The next best player on our team was Zednik. And in the playoffs? Where was dear Mike?

What evaluation criteria do you use to come to the conclusion that Ribeiro has proven himself to be a second line centre?

Old
08-13-2006, 06:26 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
What evaluation criteria do you use to come to the conclusion that Ribeiro has proven himself to be a second line centre?
He uses points...

So what if Koivu can scores 100 goals and get 300 assist per years

the guy will only have 15-20 goals and multiply that by two for the assist because he will be injured.

Old
08-13-2006, 06:29 PM
znk

Ribeiro has only one dimension to his game so he has to excel in that point otherwise he's expendable.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
He uses points...

So what if Koivu can scores 100 goals and get 300 assist per years

the guy will only have 15-20 goals and multiply that by two for the assist because he will be injured.
Only points? So nothing else matters other than that?

And is his one 65 point season enough to make him a proven second line centre, then? That's the impression I'm getting. Does anybody remember that Jose Theodore also had only one notable season - or 3 months?

Are you saying Ribeiro compares to Koivu? Koivu's led the habs in scoring several times, both in the regular season and playoffs...not to mention all of the other things he brings to the team that Mike doesn't. Sorry, these two players are not comparable.

Last edited by Catch-22: 08-13-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old
08-13-2006, 11:32 PM
habs86

vCash: 100
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Ohhh, puhleeese...
oh please what? did i upset you in anyway?

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:55 AM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Only points? So nothing else matters other than that?

Are you saying Ribeiro compares to Koivu?
like it or not, Ribeiro brings good stats to the table

i'm not comparing Koivu to Ribeiro, just saying they'll put up the same number per year. Koivu is clearly better though

Old
08-14-2006, 06:30 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
That was when he was riding the coat tails of Michael Ryder, whose snap shot couldn't miss. Koivu also missed 14 games that year and would have been the leading scorer if he hadn't. The next best player on our team was Zednik. And in the playoffs? Where was dear Mike?

Hey Coco , to be the first pointer of the team , at 65 PTS and at +14 or +15 , and to be in the top of the Takeaway minus giveaways , in the top 20 NHL 's centers for the points as a second liner , playing with a rooky and Pierre Dagenais is something i don't call '' failing . At 2-3 points close , Ribeiro was having the same PPG than Saku . Give up man ...

Old
08-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Fozz

Before season's end, Ribeiro will be the Habs' undisputed number 1 line center. I predict a 75+ point season from him.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Wow. You'd think guys around here would learn that if someone likes Ribeiro, no one's going to change their mind.

I think it would be easier to try to get someone to change religions than to stop liking Ribs.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 09:27 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs86 View Post

oh please what? did i upset you in anyway?
Sorry, but I do not find the "if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career" argument to be very conductive to a good discussion.

Think Bonk is a waste on the fourth?: "if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career "

Think Yashin is overpaid?: "if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career"

ect, ect, ect...

Its like a logical dead end.

Just my opinion though. You did not offend me in any way . It was just the equivalent of a *sight*.

Especially since I spent a good 15 minutes trying to build a reasonable post that would convey my opinion, hopefully, with a certain eloquence.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 10:29 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Wow. You'd think guys around here would learn that if someone likes Ribeiro, no one's going to change their mind.

I think it would be easier to try to get someone to change religions than to stop liking Ribs.
lol, come back a while later and surprise surprise, this thread is still going on strong. Put a sticky on all Ribs discussion and it may even surpass the poutine thread one day

Moving along...you have only stated one side of the case.
You forget that you can also easily say
"You'd think guys around here would learn that if someone dislikes Ribeiro, no one's going to change their mind."

What ever the case, two extreme camps. Not many people who are willing to just watch the Habs and hope everyone does well without taking sides.

Old
08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post

What ever the case, two extreme camps. Not many people who are willing to just watch the Habs and hope everyone does well without taking sides.
Just read something funny about this.

From the mouth of Grand Jean: (http://www.nhl.com/history/canadiens_dynasty081206.html

Quote:
Like many of his former teammates, Beliveau believes that it was the fans at the Montreal Forum who pushed their team to greatness.

"They were always critical of us," recalled Beliveau. "But we all accepted that as part of the job. I know that the late Rocket Richard felt that way. He always felt that no matter how he performed, he could always do better for them. And I think that's what he always tried to do.

"I think it was that way for some other players as well. We all knew that there was no other bottom line that the Stanley Cup. There is no doubt that playing in Montreal, there was a lot of pressure. The fans did get tough. Some nights, they're even worse. I might have scored three goals and people would ask 'why didn't you score four?' Another night I would score four and they would ask 'why didn't you score five?'

"It was the same way when we kept winning the Cup. The fans just expected us to do it every year. We did it for five straight, but lost out in the sixth. The fans weren't satisfied. We just couldn't win."
Once a habs fan, always a habs fan I guess!

Old
08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Sorry, but I do not find the "if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career" argument to be very conductive to a good discussion.

Think Bonk is a waste on the fourth?: "if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career "

Think Yashin is overpaid?: "if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career"

ect, ect, ect...

Its like a logical dead end.

Just my opinion though. You did not offend me in any way . It was just the equivalent of a *sight*.

Especially since I spent a good 15 minutes trying to build a reasonable post that would convey my opinion, hopefully, with a certain eloquence.
Call this a post ? Get off your butt and write a novel.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 11:27 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Call this a post ? Get off your butt and write a novel.

Old
08-14-2006, 02:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Before season's end, Ribeiro will be the Habs' undisputed number 1 line center. I predict a 75+ point season from him.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote