HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: The top 5 sucks, late first-round picks rule.

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 12:27 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

vCash: 500
After a bit more reading and videos of some other prospects, ive determined that my top 5 would be:

Drouin
Jones
MacKinnon
Barkov
Lindholm

Old
03-30-2013, 12:50 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Thoughts on this mock:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Thoughts on Bo Horvat being projected to us at 21?
I'd be pissed if we passed on Fucale and Rychel, and took Horvat.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Has rychel picked up slack in his other aspects of the game? I've not been able to keep much of an eye on him.

03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Duffman955

Dear lord, Horvat looks like nothing more than a #3C. I would rather go after zykov/Mueller in that mock draft

Old
03-30-2013, 01:45 PM
81snipe

vCash: 800
If were picking in the 19-23 range, its Fucale for me. Getting a potential stud goalie prospect would be huge imo. A great center prospect like Monahan or Barkov would be nice but unless we trade up there`s no way we get one of them.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Duffman955

I have my heart set on Ristolainen. He looks exactly like what the Club needs right now. Hopefully, he drops to us.

I really wanted Monahan when the season began, but that seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Rodimus Prime

after a lot of research and hard thought, ive decided whoever we draft this year will be the first player to don the number 13 since mats, thus he will be as good as, or better than mats automatically....

Old
03-30-2013, 03:50 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Has rychel picked up slack in his other aspects of the game? I've not been able to keep much of an eye on him.
He was one of the hardest working Spits at the en of the year, consecutive 35-40 goal seasons, hits and fights, and ha solid scoring upside.

I really like the pick for projection purposes. Hecould be an effective James Neal type player.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:35 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Bahhh, I'd be pissed Hagg went three spots before.

There's no one on the board there I really like. I'm not a fan of taking a goalie in the first round, but there's clearly a case to be made for Fucale there. Other than that, I'd be looking at Horvat, Zykov, or Wennberg, maybe make a reach for some of the early 2nd boom bust guys like Theodore. I dunno. Hope that's not how the draft plays out

Old
03-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
He was one of the hardest working Spits at the en of the year, consecutive 35-40 goal seasons, hits and fights, and ha solid scoring upside.

I really like the pick for projection purposes. Hecould be an effective James Neal type player.
Does he still scare you Ernie? I remember us discussing this in the past.

It's going to be a very interesting draft. Picking in the early 20's should take us away from the usual suspects around the teens such as Mantha, Gauthier, Wennberg, Hagg, Morrissey, Lazar etc. If the big club keeps up this success, we're looking more at Fucale, Zykov, Dickinson etc. We haven't had much dialogue on those players.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:46 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Does he still scare you Ernie? I remember us discussing this in the past.

It's going to be a very interesting draft. Picking in the early 20's should take us away from the usual suspects around the teens such as Mantha, Gauthier, Wennberg, Hagg, Morrissey, Lazar etc. If the big club keeps up this success, we're looking more at Fucale, Zykov, Dickinson etc. We haven't had much dialogue on those players.
Yeah because they're all kinda middling

I actually don't know who I'd want there. Wennberg or Fucale I guess?

Old
03-30-2013, 05:18 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Rychel scared me, because at times he seemed to be complacent. Like there were games he played that he didn't really care about the outcome. At the nd of the year, he was a guy who carried the mail, and played hard until the last whistle. He works hard, can hit, has solid offensive upside, and he is what we call country strong.

His skating is his downfall at this point, but proper coaching fixes that, so I'm way less worried, as he already skates effectively.

For me, if you have Rychel, Fucale, Erne, or Wennberg on the board, you have a tough choice. A couple top-6 power forwards with scoring upside, a #1 goalie prospect, and a 2-3 center to chhose from, would be both a dream and a nightmare.

I'm sold on Rychel, for the record. Intangibles are there, and the upside is definitely there offensively. He already plays the body, and drops the mitts, so he could be a great addition if we let him develop in the OHL and AHL.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Duffman955

What are options for our 2nd rounder. Anyone catching your eye?

Any players currently ranked in the 1st that could drop?

Old
03-31-2013, 12:42 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

if we could somehow get a 10-12 pick i would say we should go for pulock/monahan

Pulock is a right handed shot and is looking like a slipper. Give him some time and see what he can do, cant ever have enough D.
Monahan was who i really wanted before the season and was hoping we would win a top 5 lottery so we could draft him, potential top C with heart.

but as we sit i would be very comfortable taking a goalie and letting him develop. a 2nd chance at a tuuka rask (elite goalie) would be welcomed.... having Fucale and Reimer possibly could be a good thing.
if i was looking for a forward Rychel looks interesting... why does he have so many points and not ranked higher? can someone tell me because his stats indicate someone better, did he go undrafted or something last year? cause overagers are always sketchier and i dont think were in a position we should gamble. Gauthiers size intrigues me a lot,
i remember watching a Edmonton vs Morgan Rielly game early in the season and Lazar was playing but he didn't do anything special... even the commentators were saying that saying he was a safe pick...potential 2nd line C who is good defensivly and just does everything well.. Although he seems like a good pick, imo we should opt for a goalie (and i think this could be the year we should take a gamble on a goalie because we are missing elite goal tending prospect, Sparks is good tho)

there is always a team in the middle of the pack who drafts the elite goaltender of the draft, if u give them time and confidence usually they become really good goalies... and the idea of drafting a goalie in the first road isn't a huge risk as a lot of goalies have been taken and succeeded
Does anyone know how Morrison feels about drafting goalies first round? was he the one who drafted Tuuka Rask?

Last edited by pooleboy: 03-31-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 02:44 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
I want Lehkonen!!! We've drafted enough "safe" picks in recent years and traded for lots too. I want a kid that could be a 90 pt player! This kids got skills and is getting pushed down the list due to size.

*Eberle was 1 inch shorter and only 7 pounds heavier than him in his draft year. AND skating was a concern for eberle. Just saying, no scouting reports or video I've seen shows any deficiencies in his game besides size(he battles hard on the boards and in the corners still)

Last edited by OptimusForever: 03-31-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 06:21 AM
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...

Fucale at 21 would be my choice.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Rychel scared me, because at times he seemed to be complacent. Like there were games he played that he didn't really care about the outcome. At the nd of the year, he was a guy who carried the mail, and played hard until the last whistle. He works hard, can hit, has solid offensive upside, and he is what we call country strong.

His skating is his downfall at this point, but proper coaching fixes that, so I'm way less worried, as he already skates effectively.

For me, if you have Rychel, Fucale, Erne, or Wennberg on the board, you have a tough choice. A couple top-6 power forwards with scoring upside, a #1 goalie prospect, and a 2-3 center to chhose from, would be both a dream and a nightmare.

I'm sold on Rychel, for the record. Intangibles are there, and the upside is definitely there offensively. He already plays the body, and drops the mitts, so he could be a great addition if we let him develop in the OHL and AHL.
Bruins fan coming in peace.

I cover the draft eligible players and do rankings (for past 4 years) for OHL writers and you're on target with Rychel.

He's definitely an enigma of sorts. The problem with him is twofold:

1) Consistency. Not just from game to game, but shift to shift. He could go out there and be dominating at times and the very next shift you wouldn't even know he was on the ice

2) Complacency. At times he seems like he's just going through the motions. He loses battles he shouldn't - or sometimes doesn't even engage.

The truth of the matter is that Rychel isn't a "go to guy" He's an excellent "supporting guy". Rychel will still put up points by himself, but if he didn't have to be the go to guy with all the pressure, he's a different player.

Proof is in the pudding when Alex Khokhlachev came back from the KHL. Rychel became more of a threat, more engaged and not only a goal scorer but a guy who could set up his mates. 32 of his 47 assists came in his final 29 games once Khokhlachev returned. He had 15 in his first 39 games. And he'll still put the puck in the net.

If you're interested in our OHL rankings you can find them here http://ohlwriters.com/articles/end-o...skater-1-10--2

Brock Otten who covers the OHL did a survey of 17 independent scouts and media on the top 10. Has some good thoughts on Rychel and others here http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...-for-2013.html

Old
03-31-2013, 07:49 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post

I cover the draft eligible players and do rankings (for past 4 years) for OHL writers and you're on target with Rychel.

1) Consistency. Not just from game to game, but shift to shift. He could go out there and be dominating at times and the very next shift you wouldn't even know he was on the ice

2) Complacency. At times he seems like he's just going through the motions. He loses battles he shouldn't - or sometimes doesn't even engage.

The truth of the matter is that Rychel isn't a "go to guy" He's an excellent "supporting guy". Rychel will still put up points by himself, but if he didn't have to be the go to guy with all the pressure, he's a different player.

Proof is in the pudding when Alex Khokhlachev came back from the KHL. Rychel became more of a threat, more engaged and not only a goal scorer but a guy who could set up his mates. 32 of his 47 assists came in his final 29 games once Khokhlachev returned. He had 15 in his first 39 games. And he'll still put the puck in the net.

If you're interested in our OHL rankings you can find them here http://ohlwriters.com/articles/end-o...skater-1-10--2

Brock Otten who covers the OHL did a survey of 17 independent scouts and media on the top 10. Has some good thoughts on Rychel and others here http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...-for-2013.html
Thanks on the compliment!

I really do think he's a solid complimentary PF prospect, with some decent offensive potential, as a 2nd/3rd line guy. He's the kind of player that would play well next to a Nazem Kadri. He's the type, as we saw this year when Khokhlachev came back, that needs a sparkplug next to him, and when he does, he can really exert his will.

He also has the kind of demeanor I like in a player. He doesn't really care who you are, he'll drop the mitts when he feels it's necessary. He has a good, solid frame, and will continue to add size and strength as he grows, which, given how strong he is already, is promising.

I'll shoot over and check out your rankings. I do enjoy the site, as I wach A BOATLOAD of OHL hockey myself.

Once again, cheers, and thanks for the input

Old
03-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Guy Boucher

I see many people deeply criticizing Zadorov, Domi and Horvat. But then...why is London so strong?

Old
03-31-2013, 08:47 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
I see many people deeply criticizing Zadorov, Domi and Horvat. But then...why is London so strong?
They're a solid all-around team. They play well as a 4 line, 3 pairing unit.

Zadorov was a joke in the last game against Windsor. I like the skills of Domi, and the effort of Horvat, but I'm not blinded by Zadorov's size and strength. He's a big dummy out there, and a target for offensive players, because of a lack of lateral mobility and skating in general. Turnover machine.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:58 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post

I'd take Ryan Hartman over Rychel 7 days a week and twice on Sunday's for all the reasons why he is the opposite of Rychel is. The kid never takes a day off, shows up when games are big, and has the heart of a lion. I think people underestimate his character, and this is something our Director of scouting values over just about anything else.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
I am wondering why people are not deeply criticizing Darnell Nurse's -3 game when SSM were eliminated. Yet they they find time to criticize Zadorov for being a plus player all year.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:46 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I see Bo Horvat being drafted by us, similar to Scott Laughton who's looking like a great pick so far. Two-Way 2nd/3rd line Center who'd be perfect behind Kadri.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I am wondering why people are not deeply criticizing Darnell Nurse's -3 game when SSM were eliminated. Yet they they find time to criticize Zadorov for being a plus player all year.
SSM hasn't been eliminated.

03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Him being a +15 this year probably has something to do with that. Really? Criticize a player based on one showing when there is a whole season's worth of sample size?

Closed Thread